Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roast Recipes & Tips

My lamb roast was great too!! I cooked it at 160'c for about 1.5hrs and it was nice and tender.. could have done with a bit more flavour but wasnt really prepared! Cant wait to have some for lunch today

Yummo...a roast meat roll...mmmm...you are making me hungry!!!

I use a slow cooker too. I just put mine on top of a saucer so it's not sitting in the juices.

I usually cook mine for a while not sure how long really but I like to cook it really slowly as that seems to keep it really tender and juicy, we also put the garlic cloves in the roast too by cutting small slits and pushing it in and sometimes I put rosmary in too.

Default Roast Coordination

Ok this is going to sound really bad but I seem to suck at combined Roasts...

I can cook Roast Meat perfectly, and I can do the best Roast veg but for some reason I can't do both at the same time in the one oven without something being over or undercooked... what am I doing wrong.

So there ya go everyone has their culinary disabilities :P

I normally do meat in the slow cooker if I want oven roasted veg, or I do shallow fried veg if I'm doing a roast in the oven.

I know it can be done... I just find the veg isn't that great if you cook it at 180C and meat overcooks if its any higher than that... or am I missing something?

Ok I'll get over this embarrassment soon I hope...

My roast veg are always dodgy, so I'm going to watch this one for some tips

Cailin, a trick my Mum taught me is that meat tastes better if it's rested before serving (so that it can relax) so I take my roast out and the turn up the temp while I'm making my gravy. The 5-10 minutes on a higher temp seems to crisp up my potatoes nicely.
    Also do you put your veges on your hot shelf? Most ovens seem to have one shelf that is a bit hotter than the others (I've found it's the top shelf in conventional ovens and in front of the fan in a fan forced oven).

Then again I usually just use the slow cooker these days - it's easier than twiddling knobs and juggling with shelves.

ETA - totally off-topic but I love your new ticker Sarah!!

Do you have an electric frypan at all?
    I'm not the biggest fan of electric cooking at all, but have come to cooking my meat in the electric frypan and the veges in the oven. I normally roast my meat with garlic and onion to add some extra flavour.
    Then if need be, put the meat in the oven at 220 for about ten - fifteen minutes at the end to crisp it up a bit. That way, your veges are at a consistent heat to make them good and crunchy (i love my roast potatoes) and the meats been fairly slow cooked as well.
    If this all makes sense?!
    The beauty of it all is, once the meat's cooked you can use juices from the electric frypan to make a really tasty gravy.
    -Ashlea

Yeah I do the frypan thing Ashlea, but I'm hoping to be able to it all at once coz I'm lazy LOL!

Thanks Chloe for the tip thats a good one... Do you parboil your spuds? And when do you put them in as oppose to your roast?

Sarah I love your ticker as well Very you

I put the vegies in with about an 50 minutes to go. Less if I parboil the potatoes.
    Then I do the same as Dach. The meat comes out to rest (about 50 minutes after the veg has gone in), the oven goes up high and I move the veg to the top shelf in front of the fan which makes them go nice and cripsy. By the time I make the gravy, then the meat is carved the vegies are golden and crispy.
    Now I really feel like roast lamb and veg for dinner....but we're having risotto. Couldn't be further from a roast if I tried!

DH has recently started cooking the meat and carrots in the BBQ with the lid down while I do the other vegies in the oven. It works a treat - everything is soooo yummy. If something is cooking too quickly it can just be turned down so it's all ready at the same time.

Megan what temp do you do it all at? I find if I have to put my veg in at least an hour before I put the meat in or they don't cook... see how much I suck at roasts?!

Don't worry after a few too many vodka's last night I'm actually not cooking anything tonight LOL kids are having leftover chicken pasta from last week

I do the same as dacloster. i cook roast on 180 too. Take the meat out when it is done, wrap in foil or cover with something. Turn the oven up to max temp and give the vegies 10-15 min longer. Make sure the veg aren't not touching each other.

Mum makes a cracker roast. Cooks on 180. No parboiling. Puts potato and pumpkin in 1.5hrs before meat due to be cooked. She has a better oven than me though.......

It's hard to overcook roast veg. Longer is better!

On the topic of roast my mum makes a pureed parsnip dish with breadcrums on top. I wasn't reallly a fan of parsnip until i had this, it is DIVINE!!! We call it parsnip puff!

Boil parsnips, (maybe 4) mash, add 2 eggs, 1/2 C cream, knob of butter, grating of fresh nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Put in a dish and cover with a breadcrumb and melted butter mix. Pop in oven to heat up and brown 20 min before roast ready.

Cailin, I don't bother with parboiling. I just cut them in half (or quarters if they're medium/biggish or eigths if they're whoppers) and chuck them in with a good splash of olive oil and whatever seasoning I'm in the mood for.
    My brother puts a splash of boiling water in bottom of his pan with the olive oil and seasoning - but it didn't work well for me when I did it.
    I usually put them on about 45 minutes before I expect the roast to be ready. So it's 45 minutes plus the time it takes to make gravy and get plates out.
    For potatoes I think the variety can make a big differance. I like the Coliban because it's usually at the supermarket but if you have a better greengrocer they might help you out by suggesting a better potato.

What temp Chloe?

Thanks guys for all the tips...

Lucy where are you?!

OT - thanks guys

About 180 then I turn it up to above 200

Mmmm - believe it or not we had roast tonight - DH cooked the meat to perfection - mmmm, yummo! You guys really should try cooking the meat in the BBQ!

Cailin - you sound like such a whiz in the kitchen I find it hard to believe that your roasts don't turn out - are you just being too hard on yourself? Could it be the size of the vegies - maybe you just need to cut them smaller?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast