Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Roast Recipes & Tips

They turn out but the vegies are no way near as good as if I do the roast & veg seperately. Maybe my expectations are too high I dunno... I just see these people who do these amazing roasts with perfectly succulent meat, and super crunchy golden vegetables... and I can only get that if I do them seperately. Maybe its my oven?! It is old... like 1950's...

I par-boil my spuds, toss them in the strainer to make them fluffy, throw in some herbs, toss some more. Then I take the roast out to rest (usually under foil in the grill area of the oven - to keep warm) and then put the spuds into the pan, I usually have par-boiled a piece or two of sweet potato and also throw in a few cloves of garlic, I turn the heat up in the oven and cook the veges for 10-15 mins to make them crispy since they don't have to cook.

While this is going on I steam the other veges that we're eating. They're all then ready about the same time.

Amelia Guest

Well there you go....A excuse to get a new oven....Cause you can't cook roasts properly in it and we all know a man can't live without his roasts and roast vege's!! Well mine can't anyways.

Cai, the oven makes a huge difference. When we had an old oven I couldn't get anything to work out. Maybe that's it.

Cailin, I cook it all on 180 and then turn it up to around 210 for the last 10 minutes for the vegies. I think it's a bit of trial and error depending on your oven. In our last oven I would cook the veg for a bit over an hour. This oven here cooks everything much quicker and I am still struggling to get used to it. I've had quite a few disasters recently.

Default pork roast in electric fry pan???

heya

i have googled the cooking times for my pork roast doing it in an electric fry pan but i cant find it and you guys are an awesome font of information so i thought i would ask you to find out how long to cook per kilo

also any hints for getting the crackling to be extra crunchy would be awesome

love Ashlea (via Anthony cook extraordinaire in training)

I'm going to try using the oven tonight because I wasn't paying attention at the butcher's (the perils of shopping with toddlers lol) and he gave me a giant leg.
    There's no way it will fit in my SC.
    I'm a tad nervous lol. I'm used to my SC and it's very forgiving.
    I just weighed it and it was almost 3kg
    Does this mean I need to cook it for almost 3 hours?

I think we're going to eating this leg for a few days with some frozen meals to spare lol

We always use oven bags and our lamb is always beautiful.. that way its cooking and steaming through its own juices. DH usually salts it down and rubs in a little rosemary. Puts it in the bag, sticks the themometer in the meat and in the oven at 200 degrees. We just go by the thermometer as to when its ready, but usually takes around 20 mins per kg.

Default Roast Beef?

I have no idea what to do with this does anyone have any recipe ideas?

Could I do something in the SC?

Any help would be wonderful, thanks.

hugs xoxo

I always cook roast beef in the slow cooker - turns out beautifully.
    What cut is it? (ie - inside round, cross rib, prime rib, blade, etc?)

Blade roasts make the nicest slow cooker roasts IMO, because I love a moist, falling apart flavourful roast. I usually put it in the slow cooker frozen about 4-5 hours before dinner. I season it with a little salt and pepper, a bit of garlic (powder or minced cloves - 1 or 2) and a beef boullion cube, crumbled over it. Then I add one chopped onion, and a diced tomato. (tomato is optional, but we love it) Throw a tablespoon or two or margarine on top, and then pour boiling water into the slow cooker. (About 3-4cm deep.) Put the lid on, and cook on high for 4-5 hours.

Yum that sounds delish, not sure on the cut tho as I got it in a Chrisco hamper. Thanks.

hugs xoxo

Bumpity bump, Cricket that sounds great but I don't have a stock cube, is this ok? Do I need any other liquid?? I have a 1kg topside roast that's half defrosted...how long and what setting should I have it on in the SC?! Also I have potatoes I want to cook too, should I do these in the oven, if so at what time, how long etc? LOL Dinner time is about 7pm.

I'd say put it on high for 3-4 hours, for a medium sized half-thawed roast, and you should be fine. The stock cube adds some nice flavour, but with salt and pepper, maybe a little seasoning salt, a bit of garlic and onion, you should be just fine. For liquid, you'll need the bit of margarine, and a little water. (Since yours is thawed part way, boiling water should not be necessary, cold is fine.) Water should be 3-4 cm in the bottom of the pot. You can do potatoes in the pot with the roast, but personally I like them better in the oven. Or try making a packet with tin foil to put the potatoes in, in the slow cooker, so that they keep their own flavour and colour.
    Hope you have a great supper!

Red face Roast lamb

Ok - so here's the part where I admit to be a negelectful wife and confessing to the fact that I have never cooked DH a proper roast before . I can do beautiful roasted veggies etc but when it comes to the meat part, I normally cheat and get a roast chook from the chicken shop or one of those rolled marinated roasts. After watching him practically lick the plate after a roast at a friends house recently, I have decided to be domestic goddess and Jamie Oliver rolled into one and cook the hard working boy a roast! Only problem - how long do I cook it for and what temp ?? It is a half leg lamb - 1.2kg. I am so clueless its not funny.

I do mine in an electric frypan (do you have one?) with about one cup of water and covered in rosemary and garlic. For about 60 minutes per kg.
    Hopefully some of the more seasoned experts can pop in and help you out.
    Last edited by The[cookie]Doctor; June 5th, 2008 at 01:24 PM.

if you have oven bags pop the roast in that 190c @ 25min per 500grms allow to rest in bag for 10min before opening

if no bags pop it on a rack in a tray rub someoil over it and some herbs or garlic, then add a cup of water to pan and roast for same time as above

id cut slits in the top and shove rosemary and garlic in, drizzle with oil and cook on 200 for 15 mins then around 1hr on 180, rest for 10 mins prior to carving!

Ya know, the best thing i invested in (you can get them at bigw, kmart.. probably even woolies or coles) is a meat temperature gage. You just stick it in the meat and it has a dial on it that will tell you when its cooked in the middle. I put all my roasts in on 180c. Ive gone on the so much time per 500gs before and my roasts have always come out undercooked in the middle. But with the gage you never ever have that problem! They dont cost much.. like $7 maybe. Best thing to have in the kitchen!
    With the lamb roasts.. i just rub them with some garlic salt and rosemary put it in an oven proof dish and they come out sooooo yummy!! Thats it.. nothing else to it. My roasts have never been dry ever doing it this way.

Best of luck!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast