Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Recipes & Tips

Red face Urgent - Roast beef

I've got a roast beef and I was wondering what I could put on it when I'm cooking it, I know garlic and rosemary for lamb but I have no idea for this bit of beef. I need some ideas urgently, thanks.

hugs xoxo

rub oil and salt on it if it has skin?? red wine/garlic is usually a marinade for beef, but im not sure it would do much now yk?? (i buy mine pre-marinated...)

I salt & pepper & make small slits in the beef to stuff in slices of garlic. I then pour around 1/4 cup red wine over it & smear mustard (dijon) over the top & cover with aluminium foil. I put mine on an onion that I've cut in wedges with potatos & pumpkin all around it drizzled with olive oil & sage. HTH!

I smear mustard all over teh top, crush some garlic, chuck on a sprinkle of flour, break up a few OXO cubes on top, then put a knob of butter on the top.
    I also put about 1/2cup of water in the bottom of the dish which stops the roast drying out.
    After about 1 hr or so, I put in the spuds to roast. About 45mins to go, take off the lid and let it brown, and dont forget to rest the meat. Ideally meat should rest for as long as its cooked, but I find that a roast is OK with resting for about 20-30mins or so.

Thanks, I ended up putting seeded mustard on top and I've got the potatoes in with them and I'm also roasting pumkin and sweet potato and some peas and corn.

hugs xoxo

Spooky. I do the exact same thing Christy does:

I salt & pepper & make small slits in the beef to stuff in slices of garlic. I then pour around 1/4 cup red wine over it & smear mustard (dijon) over the top & cover with aluminium foil. I put mine on an onion that I've cut in wedges with potatos & pumpkin all around it drizzled with olive oil & sage. HTH!

*twilight zone music* spooky

Default Tender Lamb Roast

Hello!!

Just wonder what are people tips on getting a nice tender lamb roast?? I havent done one for a while but I think the last time I did it, it was a lil dry. I think I cooked it at 180'C for maybe 1.5hrs. Should I be cooking it for longer at a lower temp??

TIA!

Depends on the size of it.

You can estimate 30 mins per 500g at 180deg. Personally I like to cook for a little longer at a slower temp.
    If you rub oil and salt into the roast and also roast it over a pan of water it will be nice and tender. Also take it out of the oven 1/2 hour before you are going to serve it and let it rest under foil before you slice it.
    It also is good to let it be a bit pink in the middle because then it won't dry out.

MMMMM I've got one in the freezer ATM and I think it's in danger of being dinner tonight!

I've got a leg of lamb weighing at 1.158kg.. So if I was going to do it at 180'C I'd cook it for a bit over an hour? What about putting it down to 140'C and cooking for 2 hours?? I might try that.
    I'm going to be making roast vegies so cooking over a pan of water might not work but I might take it out 30mins before the vegies and put it under foil to see what that does.

I have my roast chicken sussed out so now trying to suss out the lamb!! Only reason I want a roast is for the roast vegies!!

What if I wanted a really flavoursome (I dont even think thats a word!) lamb roast - would it be worth putting my herbs etc on to the roast a few hours before cooking it??

we add cloves of garlic to the roast, which gives it really nice flavour - just cut into the roast and insert the garlic. if we don't have fresh garlic, we just put garlic granules on the outside. we usually roast for a longer time on low temp, with a small amount of water in the bottom of the pan (probably about a quarter to half a cup ) - and we always use a roasting pan with a lid. using only a little water means you can still roast the vegies in it later! enjoy your roast - i'm hanging for one, but just had oral surgery so can't eat anything that isn't mush! maybe next weekend...

ohhhh I have the bed recipe! and So simple.

Stuff fresh sprigs of rosemary in the lamb ( just make lots of little slits and stick it in . Then rub the lamb in Cranberry Jelly (about 1/4 of a cup). Then 1/2 way through cooking rub a little more on .

To make the gravy just use the juices and add one cup of beef stock with some corn flour to thicken .

The result is the most fab , sweet rosemary lamb you have every tasted!!!!!!!!! Huge favourite here.

another great rosemary tip - mainly if you have rosemary growing.

cut off stems of rosemary, put them on the bottom of the pan, sit the lamb on top of it, spray the lamb lightly with olive oil spray & then I sprinkle with lemongrass & chilli and garlic pepper (from masterfoods). I par-boil my potatoes, toss them in the strainer, toss them in herbs and then put them in the tray while I'm resting the roast, I take the rosemary out but leave the tiny bit of oil & juices in there to crispen up the tatties.

Use a slow cooker LOL!!

I have never tried Lamb in the Slow cooker ..HOw would you do it Sarah?. Does it end up tasting steamed ( not a big fan of steamed kinda meat). or should you seal it in a frypan first ?.

Nope, doesn't take steamed at all. I usually put it on top of some balled up foil (to stop it sitting in the juices) and either rub it with garlic or mint jelly. Then turn it on & that's it!! Easy as and so tender & delish

Sarah I keep forgetting to try that!

How did it turn out Veronica? Mine was delish, and I'll be having lamb sandwiches today for lunch!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast