Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #5

hi clare & welcome

gill, that's great news!

mak - that's another great story, it's so reassuring to read of all these positive experiences

i'm having a bit of a brain fade this morning & wonder if anyone can help me - i know that after my meal i can't eat anything until i test two hours later, but i remember the DE saying something about some drinks being okay, but i'm wondering which ones - obviously im not drinking any full sugar softdrinks at all, but i do have probably one cup of tea a day & some diet cordial or diet softdrink. should i be avoiding these during the 2 hrs or are they all okay to drink? i don't mean tea with a whole heap of milk in it or anything - just a plain green tea.

Sloane, I think those drinks are ok. Well I hope they are because I drink them in that 2 hours! lol Occassionally I have a cup of tea (with a dash of milk no sugar) about an hour after a meal and my levels are still good so I haven't worried about it. Or I will have a diet cordial. I can only drink so much water everyday!

thanks Megan - i trialled a green tea this morning & everything seemed fine so maybe tomorrow i might go all out & have a tea with a dash of milk

i think i'm finally working out my own personal quirks with my bsl - looks like rice is a no-no & i only ever eat basmati. bummer! my best meal seems to be steak with a baked potato & either salad or steamed vegies.

sounds similar to me! rice is completely out for me including basmati and simple meat and veg always give me the best reading in the low 5's usually. I can eat pasta though without a problem. It's interesting how everyone reacts differently to different foods.

Thanks for the replies girls, however things are not any better! I called my dietician this morning as was not happy with yesterdays levels, apparently she is away until tomorrow, I said the the receptionist I wasn't prepared to wait til then cause the levels were so low, when I told what they were she put me thru to an antenatal clinic (not mine) & I spoke with 2 nurses...honestly what they told me left me speechless, 1 asked me if my machine is working - like how do I know but given the midday reading was 4.9 I'd guess that it is working ok, then she passed me to this other lady who insisted I probably wasn't eating enough, I said I'm having the max serves of most stuff including 3cups of basmati rice with dinner last night cause I was desperate to get those levels up. She said I need to experiment more with my diet, I need to eat more & go & get a Snickers & try adding more chocolate to my diet????? Ok so I get that a Snickers would bring the levels up but I told her if the the diet they've provided can't give me more then the minimum levels has there been so mistake with diagnosing me with GD? Is that possible, I swear I am eating what they say, not sure if I'm making any mistakes, I've listed what I'm eating today which to me & everyone I've talked sounds more then enough food, yesterday was v similar but with the 3 serves of rice & stir fry veg for dinner. Trying not to get stressed but I am, not enjoying eating cause I'm not hungry & so worried that I'm eating too much or too little you know?

2 cups cereal, milk & tea & a banana

20 almonds & a cup of plain popcorn

1 egg mayo/salad (2 slices Burgen) sandwich & an orange

1 ryvita with cottage cheese & 2 sugar free cookies plus an apple

1 piece salmon, baked sweet potato & half a plate of salad with cheese

1 ryvita with cottage cheese & an apple (right before bed)

Anyone see anything I'm doing wrong here?

hi clare.

I am finding that a cup of tea. tiny bit of milk and no sugar is still enough to raise my levels so i have one after i test.

my DE said any caffeine drink can do that... so even diet coke will do it.

CAH, that sounds like plenty of food to me. I hope you can get some more answers tomorrow. As if you would know if there is a problem with your machine! You test, the number pops up so you assume it's working and note down the number. The ladies you spoke to obviously didn't know what to do with you by the sound of it. I would be asking tomorrow if there has been a mistake with your test results.
    Three cups of rice? I'm so jealous I can't eat half a cup without my numbers going over!

Thanks for the replies. I was going to call the dietician today but this mornings readings were 4.9 before breakfast & 4.9 after! I did test at 6am then got ready for work, drove to work & then has breakfast so levels would have dropped between time of 1st test & eating, so I think I'm doing ok today! Bit concerned that I may not be getting true readings cause I'm finding it hard to bleed. For some reason I don't get a nice blob of blood mine either doesn't bleed much at all or it comes out & spreads across my finger in the grooves so I literally have to mop it up with the test strip or test 2-3 times to get 1 result. Not ideal really. Needle is def going in deep enough, I have a friend who is a nurse & she seemed to think this is normal & that some people are difficult to obtian blood from. I'm taking baby asprin cause this is an IVF pregnancy, do you think thats thinned my blood a bit too much? I've also found that only a few fingers work, the others the needle breaks the skin but nothing happens OMG I am a freak! Ah well at least the levels are healthier today, curious to see what they show up as later this afternoon.

CAH, I have noticed when I have trouble getting enough blood and it takes a while to get it onto the strip that my readings are always low. I always do it again and make sure I have plenty of blood and the reading is usually 1.5-2.0 higher than the original one. This happens mostly in the mornings when my hands are a bit cold, so I always try to make sure I have nice warm hands before I *****, and squeeze the blood down from the middle of your finger rather than from the end.

CAH - I'm sure you are already doing it but it is much easier using the sides of your fingers (if that makes sense) - I had the same problem but found it easier on my pinkie and ring fingers for some strange reason....
    Keep up the hard work - sounds like you are doing a fab job.

Oooh tried the little finger today & worked a treat but man its hurting now, so looks like I can use ring finger, sometimes index & the little 1 if I'm feeling brave... but only on the left hand cause the right hand doesn't seem to play the game at all. This afternoon the reading was 5.9 I had a fritata for dinner with some veg & a couple serves of baked beans, just used 1 small potato in the fritata. Sadly I haven't been able to get a reading tonight, tried all my fingers & couldn't get any of them to bleed enough, I tried rubbing them, sitting on them to warm them up & dangling my arm down for a few mins before. I was getting really stressed & then I just thought s*d it, I'm doing the diet, so far none of my reads have gone thru the roof & the stress of all this is probably worse for me & her then any bl**dy sugar read!!!!!!!! I'll try again on Fri but I'm pretty sure things are ok. Do they retest you at all or just trust the figures you provide? Just wondered if there is a double check at any time just to make sure you are doing things right.

Mak I def only use sides of fingers, seems to hurt less there. Feeling a bit of a failure but I don't think its worth getting upset about this, I've not had any weight gain in last 7 weeks so she is hardly a bloater , at least at this stage anyway!

I think it depends if you are sent to an endo as to whether you may be re-tested. Every month or so my endo sends me for a BT which gives him my BSL averaged out over a period of time. Just gives them an overall more accurate picture. As you said though, your levels have been good and I wouldn't stress yourself out about it because that can send levels up as well.

Wow - sounds like you are doing absolutely everything you can!!! Hang in there - you are a great mum and looking after that bub of yours wonderfully by the sound of it. It is hard work and all the worry about food and the weight of the baby can go your head in - so I can relate to the worrying. As others have suggested it may be worth giving your DE/Endo a call and checking in with them - to reassure yourself you are on track.

Take care and be kind to yourself!

sloane - I used to have a cup of tea at morning tea after I tested (with milk and sugar) and also at my afternoon snack again with milk and sugar and it didn't raise my levels. I was lucky enough to meet a type 1 diabetic at work and she really helped me steer towards the foods to suit and told me that tea generally doesn't do much towards your levels and she was told she could drink tea normally however having read what myson wrote I guess that actually doesn't apply to all. It is very unusual how each person reacts differently to different foods and really makes the whole thing that whole much more difficult.

CAH - It sounds like you are certainly eating enough food so that shouldn't be the problem. Have you tried ditching the test strip pack you have and putting in a new one and seeing if the levels stabilise? If they remain the same then the pack is ok and you can use again but if they are different then might find you got a dud pack of test strips. I know my glucose meter could let me run a test on it to check it was working so maybe have a look in your book to see if yours has that.
    I also had trouble getting blood out and found the best way was to run my hands under really warm water and then massage the finger I was going to use for about 20-30 seconds before doing the test. In the end I used 3 fingers in the same spots to get my blood and those 3 fingers served me for almost 8 weeks without pain. Make sure your hands are dry when you test otherwise I did find the blood would run down the lines really quickly. If it hurts on your pinky finger but you find it has a good blood supply simply turn your pressure gauge down for that finger. I only ever used the 2 or 3 setting for any fingers and always turned it to 2 for the pinky finger.
    Like you, I also questioned my diagnosis as I only had 3 slightly high readings my entire PG and at the end I was eating cake and all sorts without raising my levels. I was even eating foods trying to spike my levels at the end just to see if I could and I didn't.
    About retesting - yes Megan is right is does just depend on your situation with endo/clinic vs OB/midwife or whatever options you have. I had to email in my levels each fortnight to my endo and if they saw something they didn't like then they simply asked me to go in (never had to thankfully) but my meter also had the option to view my average across all tests so I could also give them that during my appointments straight from the meter so my endo knew my average (obviously if average was completely different to what your levels had been they'd know you'd fudged some levels).. So I didn't have any further blood tests for the GD but you will have to retake the 2hr GTT test once baby has arrived (about 8-12 weeks post birth) plus they may get you to do some random tests during your labour and also during your hospital stay.

Happy testing ladies - remember the end is in sight!

Ah so wet hands would cause blood to spread that makes sense, not that I have wet hands but I would have sweaty hands! I have a needle phobia, long story but basically I had a traumatic experience losing my 1st pregnancy, followed by 2 years of fertility treatments, am now left with a pretty bad fear of needles. So this is a really big deal for me & I am quite teary, hot & sweaty when I test! If I get another good week of levels I might ask if I can reduce the test days to just 1-2 a week as I think what this does to my blood pressure is probably more harmful then the levels!!

Thanks for the tips, this morning I spent a couple mins just with my hand hanging down & then rubbing the finger tips, got a good bleed although it did spread across my finger so it may have been a bit thin, read was 3.4 so even if you had a 1 to that its a good level. Think the diet is working as it should.

Just about to test again, can feel myself getting worked up already Hate this!!!

CAH, you should be able to take your machine in to test whether it is working properly... The nurses at your ob's office or the DE should have the test solutions there and that would tell you if it's the machine, or a dud diagnosis.... I hope it's the latter!

Thanks for all the support so far girlls, feels like all I've done is moan since I joined!! Anyway I think I cracked it, change of needle & following all the advice you've given I managed all 4 tests yesterday with plenty of blood !!! Results were good 3.5 before brekkie, 4.9 after got a 5.9 after lunch & then top read of the day was after dinner at 6.9. I did have 2 serves of rice with dinner just to see what happened & it seems things went a bit more as they should this time.

What a relief! I put on a top this morning that was getting tight & its loose again so looks like I may have lost some weight since starting this diet!

Hope you have a good weekend.

C
    x

Sounds good CAH! I lost 2.5kgs in the first week after being diagnosed and have been pretty much the same weight ever since so I am actually lighter now than I was at the beginning of my pregnancy!!

My levels have started to calm down a bit. Every week for the last 4 or so weeks my endo has reduced my insulin before bed. He seems happy with how things are going. After having so much trouble with my fasting levels for ages and now all of a sudden they're low and I have to keep dropping my insulin. After doing this since 17wks he told me this week I was a professional and what did I think he should do with my dosage. I told him what I thought, and that's what he did! lol Maybe he should be paying ME!

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast