Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #5

Evening girls,

I've just been diagnosed on Friday with GD and am having a little freak out about it. Tomorrow is my appointment with the doc to discuss treatment etc - I cant wait because I am doing my head in googling all day and night!

My reading after the 2 hour test was 8.2, not exactly what I would have considered high but the nurse they consider anything over 8.0 to be GD. I found out the result on Friday afternoon and since then I've been avoiding sugar - not that its much different from my normal diet actually. I am surprised to get GD because I do eat pretty well, and am not much of a bread, pasta or rice person.

Anyhoo, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'll be back on tomorrow night to tell you ll what the doc said.

BD, welcome to thread and sorry you're here at the same time!!
    My reading after the test was 8.4 so not that high either. I was diagnosed at 17wks and have been on insulin since about 23wks. However, my levels have been really stable and my dose is being reduced each week and I am really on the countdown now.
    I would imagine you will be given a machine to test your levels which you will do for a week and they will monitor you regularly from that. You'll learn what foods send you over the limit just through trial and error, so that first week or two can be a bit all over the place.
    Good luck with your appointment tomorrow.

Hello ladies

Been a while but I've been so busy with baby prep and catching up with friends before bub arrives!

I'm still on Metformin (4 tablets a day) and Diabex (3 before bed) which ARE nasty on my stomach. Especially the 3 doses of Diabex! I'd wake up at 3am or 4am suffering from diarrhea. Not to mention heartburn and indigestion! Metformin seems to be doing me good IF I take them HALFWAY through my meal. Unfortunately with Diabex, that doesn't seem to work. Sometimes I'd take them before supper and try to only sleep 3 hours after (which doesn't happen most times) and it'll work. Very nasty that one!

Last checkup with my endo (last Thurs) and he's happy with my levels though I do battle with diarrhea, indigestion and heartburn nearly every night! He asked if I'm able to handle it. I was SO scared if I said no, he's going to switch me to insulin jabs!! So I said, if I find it too much to handle, I'll give you a ring and tell you about it!

I do have a question though. I hate milk. But it does help with heartburn especially taken with Diabex before bed. So I mix half a cup with a teaspoon of cocoa powder. My endo is totally against it. But my levels doesn't shoot up to an alarming rate.

At times I'd take a gulp or two of Coke or soft drinks, or a couple bites of cake or other sweets in between meals and my levels show good numbers. Should I be worried? I mean could it be because I eat them at snack time and not as desserts after meals? I feel like I'm cheating my numbers sometimes.

I just reached 36 weeks. Could it be because my placenta's not growing anymore? Am I putting my baby at any major risk? My 34-week growth ultrasound scan showed baby's at an average size though my ob does mention the high possibilities of inducing me at 38 weeks anyway. Which I've no problems about, since I'm so sick with these tablets and can't wait to see bub!!

Hope everyone's doing well!
    Thanks for the lending ear ladies =)

Hi BD, welcome to the thread, have only been here a week & a bit mself so I know just how you are feeling right now! I also spent hours googling but basically you'll be given a rough diet guide & have to test your sugar levels, if you look back a page or so you'll see just how much fun I've had with that!!! I do seem to have got it right now though, thanks to the advice from everyone on here. My levels were 8.4 so not thru the roof & to be honest since I started the diet/testing they haven't been particularly high so I guess I've been lucky (although something odd happening today, def higher then they have been!!). Hopefully as you are just over you'll be able to control them with diet alone, something I also hoping for.

Megan you sound like a real pro with the insulin now, if I need it I'll know who to ask for help

Smudgy You do sound like you are doing things tough, thankfully you've not got too much longer to go although I'm sure it seems like an eternity to you! Why would they induce you if the baby isn't bigger then average, is it cause of your ailments do you think? Got me worrying now, I just had my antenatal workshop & really don't want to be induced!!! Sure these classes just make you worry more

Had no probs with the testing again today so once again thanks for all the great tips, my fasting level this morning was 5.1, the highest I've ever had 1st thing in the morning, no idea why as I've been good all weekend. I haven't been v active across the weekend though, felt rough on Sun & was in the class all day Sat so maybe thats made a difference. Have managed to keep it between there & 6 so far today & forced myself to go swimming after work which might help! Was soooo tired though, felt like I was moving my arms & legs but not getting anywhere, in fact this tall guy got out as I started swimming, he was just kind of wading waist deep, the current he created swept me to the side I did chuckle to myself, what a weakling I am!!!

C

Megan - Hi 8.4 doesn't seem so high to me either. But its great that the insulin is working for you.

Cah - Thanks for the kind welcome! I've read through a few off your recent posts - man, sounds like its been tough for you! I wonder what is in store for me the next few weeks??????

Saw my doc today and he has referred me to a Diabetes Educator who I will be seeing tomorrow arvo. Dr G said he really hopes that I wont gain anymore weight through this pregnancy - but I didn't think it was too bad? I was 69 to start with, and am 84kg now. Is 15kg at 31 weeks really that much? We talked testing myself, possibility of insulin injections, and also about the "very real possibility" of inducing me at 38 weeks! I am a little nervous about all this, but I am trying not to get ahead of myself. I am looking forward to the appointment tomorrow so I can get more info and start testing I guess.

Hope everyone is well

blonde doctor - welcome & hope the appt goes well with the DE today.
    i know i felt much better once i'd seen the DE - it made me feel more prepared

CAH - hope your levels are still behaving themselves!

megan - how are you going? not long to go now!!

smudgy - sorry, can't help with that one! altho both the endo & DE said that sugar is okay in small amounts. i have a teaspoon of milo in milk before bed sometimes.

afm, had my endo appt today - she said my levels were a little on the high side sometimes (between 7-8) & she'd normally put people on insulin but because i'd noted the food & have now stopped eating pasta & rice (& because it has happened mostly at the end of the day) she's happy that i'm 'sensible' and doing the right thing...so another week without insulin. feels a bit like a waiting game though!

i also asked the ob today about hospital policy regarding inductions at 38 weeks for GD patients. she said they prefer to let someone go to term but it's decided on the basis of each individual. she's sending me for a growth scan in a couple of weeks as a precaution because of the GD & that i'm also on BP medication.

Hi ladies,

I am new here, this is my 2nd pg (late m/c last year) and I got diagnosed with GD about 3 weeks ago. I am coming up 31 weeks pg now. So far I am just trying to manage the GD with diet alone - don't want to resort to insulin unless desperate (needle phobe!!)

I am hoping some of you can help me with something...

Up until this week my BSL have all been fine, but for some reason this week my after lunch results have started creeping up. I haven't changed what I have been eating since I started the changed diet so can't understand why all of a sudden my lunch seems to put me over.

I live in the ACT so the max BSL I am allowed is 6.5 after meals, which I was told was stricter than the other states and this week I have been getting around 6.8 sometimes as high as 7.3 after lunch.

My lunch consists of either a toasted sandwich (Molenberg 10 grains and seeds or Bakers Delight Low GI white bread) with 1/4c baked beans, cheese and Marmite, plus a poached egg on toast with Marmite & tomato sauce and if I am really hungry a small tin of tuna.

Or

2 sandwiches (same bread as above) with cheese and tomato...

I am a big eater hence the huge lunch (compared to what I have read in some previous posts!)

My fasting BSL is usually between 3.9 and 4.5 and following brekkie around 4.6 and after dinner it drops from in the 6's to around 5.7.

Sorry for the huge post!!... I am getting there...

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could eat for lunch instead of bread (which is obviously not my friend anymore) but still be filling enough for the little piglet that I am!? Also without taking forever to prepare!?!

Also has anyone else noticed that sometimes you can test more than once and the results can be different by quite a bit, like around .5 difference or more? Is my machine faulty?

Thanks so much, and I look forward to getting to know some other GD sufferers!

Hi Ladies,

Another newbie to join this thread! I had my ob appt today where I was told that following the 2 hr gtt, I have GD. I think I'm definitely still in a fair bit of shock but am now equipped with a glucose monitor and all kinds of paraphernalia and hoping I'll be able to manage it with diet.

I'll have to take some time to read back through the posts, but am just so glad there is a thread to talk to other GD'ers as I wrap my poor brain around all of this new info

Look forward to getting to know you all...

CAH: Glad to hear things have settled down.. Remember to watch the weight loss. If you are loosing weight then you need to eat more to keep up your energy levels..

blondedoctor: Welcome to the thread. Sorry it's not under better circumstances but trust that you are in a supportive environment where you can ask lots of questions. I'm past GD now but still pop in to see how everyone is going and help if I can as I know how stressful it can be, especially when you are first diagnosed. Remember to ask lots of questions.. Your reading was not too high - my 2hr reading was about 9.4 from memory and I was completely diet controlled but everyone is different and you will soon find out how different everyone reacts to food.. I was like you and very surprised to get GD as I am very healthy eater etc. Ultimately doesn't come down to diet but more to how your body deals with the extra load from baby/placenta - as my OB told me - there was nothing I could have done differently to prevent it..

smudgy: Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling the best with the tablets. Have you considered maybe making the switch to insulin so that you can at least enjoy the last part of your pregnancy without the terrible side effects from the tablets? I cannot speak from experience about insulin but from what I've read I haven't seen anyone say that the insulin injection is more painful than the finger testing.
    Regarding the milk - have you tried some milo instead? Or even warm milk actually tastes different to cold milk. I used to have a cup of warm milk with a few biscuits (RICH TEA biscuits - Low GI and yummy - I still eat them now as a snack) before bed. I used to have the occasional bit of coke or a cake and no problems. You cannot completely cut sweet stuff out and towards the end I was having a small piece of plain cake or a few biscuits without problems. You won't hurt the baby and bub would be fine with a small amount of sugar.

blondedoctor: The average weight gain during pregnancy is said to be between 9kg and 13kg but everyone is different. I have a few PG books which actually gave average weights for the baby/placenta/fluid to show where the weight gain comes from. The OB and DE would be wanting to watch your weight as it may not be you who is gaining the weight but in actual fact bub which puts you both in a higher risk of requiring an induction and/or intervention. Good luck with the DE appointment and let us know how you go.

sloane: Glad to hear your hospital doesn't have an automatic induction policy for GD. Mine didn't either and I was allowed to go into labour myself (11 days early) and did not require intervention. My OB had told me he wouldn't induce me unless medically needed and because my GD was under control he'd even let me go over my EDD if everything was ok.

navywife: Welcome to the thread navywife. I'm a needle phobe also so right there with you on that front. I hated the idea of doing the finger testing but it wasn't too bad once I got the hang of it and really didn't give me much pain at all.
    Regarding your food question.. Have you tried a different bread? You can find that a food that was ok last week is no longer ok so you could try using a different bread. I found the bakers delight (wholemeal vienna) was the only bread I could have.
    Yes your BSL level sounds more strict - I had to keep mine officially under 8.0 but anything over 7.0 I had to let my endo know about.. The other thing I would have suggested would be the quantity but as you say you are a big eater so I'm not sure what I could suggest. I used to have a sandwich with tuna/salmon with cheese and tomato plus a piece of fruit for lunch and just varied it around that. You could try substituting some of the bread for some fruit or a huge side of vegies. I used to top all my meals up with huge quantities of vegies to fill myself up and that always worked. I was rarely hungry while I had GD. Also I went through a huge amount of strawberries. My Endo told me they were my "free food" and I could have as many of those as I wanted so I was going through about 4 punnets a week of them. If I had a sweet craving or was hungry I'd snack on a few of those.

Have you tried a Low GI soup, essentially a wholemeal pasta based soup)? I used to have a soup with a side of steam vegies (from the microwave)..

Yes the testing thing is normal. The glucose meters are not 100% accurate so you will get some variance on testing. I used to test once, then test again to double check and get a different reading. Need to be sure you wash your hands before you test as if you'd handled food you could still have sugars on your skin from the foods which will give you a higher reading etc. Just test once and use that reading or you'll be testing 40 times a day..

jenushka: Welcome to the thread..
    Recommend you read back through our posts as there are plenty of good tips and ideas to go through and they will certainly give you a good place to start things. Can be daunting at first but you will get the hang of it and then things will feel a little easier..

Default Newbie here

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago, am now 28+4 and so far controlling my levels with diet. I have been quite strict with my diet and that gets frustrating, but the results have been good. I really want to eat cake or something, but am so afraid of the consequences. My morning levels were quite high before so I was put on insulin in the morning which only made the levels higher again - I think it was psychological cos I really didnt want to have to start injecting! I also was quite bad at doing it and most of it ran out. So we went back to the diet and it's been ok only in the last week I've noticed that the morning levels are getting higher so it looks like I might have to inject at night or maybe again in the morning. Pain in the proverbial!! Does anyone have any tips on getting low morning levels? I'd like to avoid the insulin as long as I can.

I'Ve also lost a bit of weight since changing my eating habits, I only hope I'Ve not lost too much. Going to see my midwife today, so will find out then.

It's so reassuring and encouraging to read your stories/experiences. Pregnancy Diabetes is more common than I had thought.

Good luck to everyone xx

Evening all,

Hil444, Janushka - Welcome to you both! I am a newbie too and just getting the hang of all this too.

Navy wife - Welcome! I work from home so my food choices are usually easier than those of you working in an office or somewhere without a kitchen. I'm not much of a bread eater and the things I usually have for lunch are:
    * big green salad, some chopped cheese, a few boiled eggs with a splash of olive oil
    * scrambled eggs with mushrooms and tomato and spinach
    * microwaved potato with mushrooms, spinach, chickpeas (anything really),sour cream and cheese
    * spinach and rice soup
    * pumpkin soup
    As Snowchickie said, maybe a change of type of bread might do the trick too? Good luck

Snowchickie - Thanks for the kind words of support. Its been a really stressful so its great to have an online community like this to go to.

AFM - Well, after my visit with the diabetes educator, I am now testing my blood sugar levels 4 times a day and if if goes over 8.0 more than twice a week they want to put me on insulin. I am a little stressed about this because the small country hospital where we are booked in won't take me if I am on insulin, and I'd have to go into Adelaide instead which is over 2 hours away. I really don't want to do that because apart from the distance from home, I wont have my doctor (whom I love!) , or any of the midwives that I have come to know through the prenatal classes. So I just really have to keep my sugar levels low. Its frustrating because I think doctors carry on a bit much about it, but now I'm kinda stuck in the system and have to follow through, if you know what I mean.

I am still confused why my readings are so high. Today for example, for lunch I had a big green salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrot, some chopped cheese) a few boiled eggs with a splash of olive oil with one slice of multigrain toast and I got 8.2! Seems crazy, but I'm guessing I'll need to cut out all carbs to stay within the limits the doc wants. Its silly because I wouldn't normally have the bread with the salad, but the diabetes educator said I had to increase my carbs to three serves a day!!! I don't think I'll be doing that again!

Hope everyone is going well

Hi Guys

Just thought I'd update, had my check up last week & they are really happy with the levels I've been getting. As for the blip when I had those really low levels in the 1st week they said its apparently normal & sometimes the new diet is just a shock to the body & takes a few days to adjust. So, for now I've escaped the insulin, have to go back in 3 weeks time. I also had a check up with my obs & baby is fine, she is still head down & isn't looking abnormally big or anything, in fact as I suspected I had no weight gain again so thats nothing for 8 weeks now. Belly is def getting bigger so she must be gaining whilst I'm losing, have only gained 10 kilos in all which midwife reckons is pretty impressive - funny cause in "normal" life I gain weight just looking at a cake, guess this diabetes diet works for me then!!

Blondedoctor I hope you can control your levels & don't go over the 8 limit. Not sure why your levels are so high after lunch, when mine jumped last week I knew it was the type of bread I'd eaten as had run out of Burgen, also Pumpkin soup is on my no go list, guess different clinics have different diets. For me a serve of carbs is equal to 1 cup of popcorn & I've found if my levels start doing a wobbly a cup of popcorn keeps them steady rather then spiking them like bread does, would popcorn & a big salad be a better combination.... probably not taste wise What are your 1st morning levels like, are they going wrong with breakfast maybe? I've found that museli works well, normally I can chuck a banana on top but some days if I wake with levels in the high 5-6's I have to leave out the banana or I can't get back on top of the levels for the rest of the day. Its so hard, its like a game isn't it, add this & take out that, what a headache!!

Oooh I found some nice icecream desserts that for me at least don't send my levels rocketing - not sure if allowed to say on here, made by Skinny Cow, hope that was ok! There are 3 or 4 flavours & they are made with low fat stuff & no added sugar, its so nice to have something that tastes sweet although I've been limiting them to just 1 a week so far.

Got a 3D scan a week Friday so that will be interesting, def be able to see how chubby she is then! Had my hair done today & my hairdresser is going away in May so next time I see her I'll be a mummy, how weird is that!!!!

Clare
    32 + 4

CAH - I'm not sure why but they said if I'm treated with tablets or insulin for GD, they'll have to induce me. I had my last ultrasound at 34 weeks.

sloane - thanks!

snowchickie - Rich tea biscuits! yum!!

You know, my levels are not doing so good last week. It's all 7's sometimes lower sometimes higher. Some 6's. I emailed my endo the readings and told him I'm booked to be induced in 7 days. He replied asking me to make an appointment this Tuesday (I'd be induced in less than a week by then) to see him and start myself on insulin.

Now, doesn't this sound ridiculous?
    I mean, at the risk of appearing ignorant, surely insulin won't be able to take effect well enough in less than a week! Could it? Will it make much difference? As far as I understand, I can stuff all my GD tablets after I deliver, right? Do I still have to do insulin after delivery too? Can't he just up my tablets intake (am doing 6 tablets atm and he said the max I can go up to is 8!) I really want to present this thought to my endo but afraid he might think I'm trying to get away with insulin (which I am really, but he doesn't have to know that!:P)

What do you lovely ladies think?

Smudgy, I haven't been keeping up with your particular situation, but if you are only getting 7's and are due in a week or two then I would fight against starting on insulin injections. I had a limit of 7.5 for my post meal readings, but they weren't worried unless it was going over 8 (and even then it isn't a big panic).

Sounds like a bit of an overreaction by the endo, have a chat with the Ob and see what they say. Insulin does take effect immediately, but to me it doesn't seem like your levels are high enough that it would be of much benefit since you are already taking the tablets.

Smudgy - I dont get it either. I cant see the point of taking insulin if you are due to be induced in a weeks time. What is the maximum reading allowed with your docs before insulin in considered? With my docs it is 8.0 and I am up and down all over that at the moment!

I have worked out that I can only eat low carb salad and vegies, and protein. Anything else for lunch or dinner and my readings jump to 8 or 9 or even 10!! I am scared because for me to be put on insulin means I can' deliver in my hospital of choice, and that I need to go to Adelaide, over 2 hours away. This weekend has beena real struggle for me. My dad is visiting so we've eaten out for most meals - and you guessed it, I am over my limit.

Ironically I think I probably do need the insulin because when I keep within my bsl limits, I am hungry. I am sooooo hungry and I figure this can't be good for my baby either.

After Dad leaves tomorrow, it will be easier to manage I tihnk. I have to really work hard at this. I'm going to try and eat earlier in the evening, say before 7pm, and then go to bed early to avoid the munchies. I'll also give up my morning coffee (boohoo!) and have tea instead because I have black tea but I have white coffee. Monday is a new week and I just gotta do this!!

Hope everyone has managed to get thorough Easter!!

Blondedoctor, if you are restricting what you eat so much that you are always hungry then it is probably best to go on insulin. Apart from the obvious downside, it is a relief to actually eat enough so that you aren't constantly starving.

Don't skimp on a snack before bedtime, it actually helps to have a low G.I snack before bed or your body can pull glucose out of cells (or somewhere lol) and you can get higher readings from eating nothing. Also a bit of milk in your coffee shouldn't send you over, it is really hard isn't it.

I was on insulin with my last preg, just waiting waiting to see if I get GD this time but if I do then I have to travel 2 hours to hospital too.

Hi Artechim,

Thanks for the advice! I didn't know that an evening snack can help to lower the bsl. I'll try that tonight and see what tomorow mornings reading is. Good look with your bsl this pregnancy

I am cooking hungarian goulash soup for tea. Dad and DH are getting spatzle (dumplings) with theirs, and I'll add chopped spinach to mine instead. It smells so good - can't wait to tuck in!

hi girls

Artechim - thanks for the reply. it does sound like he's over acting, doesn't it? i think maybe he doesn't realize how close the date is to being induced by the time he starts me with insulin..? sighh.. i have one or two 8's around but mostly they're 7's and high 7's.

blondedoctor - i know! can't get around it either! what's going on with these endos! anyway my max is 7.0 and fasting level at 5.5.

I still don't see the point starting on insulin. Maybe I'll ask if he can just increase my tablets does instead.

I'm out of Diabex at the moment. I take 3 before bed and by this time next week I'd be induced. Think I should purchase another box, anyway? One box has like 100 tablets. Do I really need to take the tablets or be on insulin after delivery?

Getting SICK with tablets and GD!!
    Agggghhhhhh!!!!

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast