Thread: Mumps?

Question Mumps?

I am probably jumping the gun ... but here goes

Can you get mumps on only one side and can you get it without having a fever??????????

I have been feeling "offish" lately (two days) and this morning I woke up feeling thick in the skull and with a faint sore throat. I wanted to take some panadol, but forgot NOW I have an extreamly sore throat and it's worse when I yawn (don't ask) and sore when I swallow. I have tired to see if it's swollen, but the light in the bathroom sucks, so I can't really see anything. And I feel only mild swelling on the outside.

Could mumps be dangerous in pregnancy????? I have not taken any medication and I don't want to for the off chance that I might already be pg. (you know, high hopes )

Yes you can get mumps on one side but you can also get a throat infection that can cause swollen glands in that same area and they can also affect one side like you are describing. I have had infections like that a few times where the glands on one side seem sore but not the other. Try not to panic but if you are really concerned maybe your GP can set your mind at rest?

Yes, you can, but what you have sounds more like a strep throat to me than mumps.

And no, I don't believe mumps is any more dangerous when you are pregnant.

Oh geeze .. I don't know where to hide ... it was only my darn tonsil It was at it's worst last night and I also got a little feverish, but today it feels MUCH better. Just going to ride it out with water and vita-c losenges. I have not have them removed yet and they keep acting up once in a while. When I get a sore throat I always think tonsils first, just did not know what happend yesterday. I was probably high on something - call it tww-syndrome

but thank you for your replies to a wack-head woman she really apreciate it