Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Premmie Mums

Hi all,
    Bec- That's fantastic that Josh's rolling! It must be so cute to watch. Just imagine when the crawling starts, he'll be in to everything - have you childproofed the house yet??? Kyla has been able to roll from tummy to back for a while cos she hates the tummy, but doesn't seem interested in going to tummy.

Nick- OMG how exciting!!! That's the best news! Nixon must be a real star coming home so early. <- I bet you look like that atm.

Hi Mitch - I don't think that we've talked before. It's good to hear that Alexa is doing well and chubbing up! (beautiful name btw). The needles are horrible aren't they - hopefully they don't worry Alexa too much.

Not sure if I said - but we had Kyla's visit to MCHN and she now weighs 6.81kg, she's still in 25% for weight and height but her head is 75th percentile - bit of a boofer! ALso booked her last hearing test - but apparently the last one you don't have to get them to sleep - hope they don't put that horrible tape in her hair again!!
    I feel so bad...a the shops today Kyla knocked her head into Mum's and did that cry where the face goes all red and tears come out but no noise. Then I knocked her head when putting her into the car and she did the same thing. I felt SO bad!

Hi there guys!

Nickers, I've got your PM and will send you some stuff today.

for all.

Hi Carrie, nope, haven't childproofed the house just yet. Might have to look into it very soon, though! How is Kyla going today? When is her hearing test? Did you have to get her to sleep for a previous one?

So Nic, is your gorgeous boy all settled in at home?

How is everyone else?

We are good. Nothing new to report, really. We went shopping yesterday and bought lots of warm winter clothes for Mr Josh as it has got quite cold here all of a sudden and he has grown out of all his warm clothes. I love shopping for clothes for him - much more fun than shopping for myself!

Hey Divvy! Just saw your post when I previewed mine. Hope all is well with you and your boys.

Hi All,

Divvy Thanks so much for that!

Yep we bought Nixon home yesterday, if anyone wants to c some pics tell me your email address and I'll send some through, I haven't had a chance to upload on his web page yet, I am using babies online and ive used the max amount of pics i can, for anyone else using this site whats the best way to allow more pics???

He went to sleep really well in his new cot when we got home, man he looks small in it!! Last night we had the cot in our room but after 5am feed i end up pushing him back into his room. I was worried he was too cold in our room as our bedroom is the coolest/hottest room in the house.
    I bottle fed EBM the first night feed approx midnight, next feed i tried BF & he was not going so well so bottle fed again.
    Then he slept 5hrs and took 1.5hrs to take a full BF thismoring...... he fell asleep half way through, i changed him trying to wake him up, eventually got back on, it was 11am b4 i had breakfast!!
    I've just fed him again now but dont know how long he will last he was only on my breast about 25mins when i changed sides he wouldnt get back on, he also didnt want a bar of the bottle?? I guess this is all new to both of us and going to take some time to get used to, the nurses had told me he will prob need both BF & EBM as he will tire more easily. How did you all going when getting your bub home & feeding? I am already getting frustrated with BF but not giving up yet!

Hi Nic,

I just replied to your thread about the EBM before I saw this post.

It's great to hear that Nixon is home where he belongs!

As for the feeding, Joshua was pretty much the same as Nixon when he first came home. I used to struggle to keep him awake during feeds and he also needed a comp feed of EBM after most BF's. Unfortunately, Josh never really got the hang of BF, he had terrible suction and didn't latch on well at all. We perservered with it until he was 4 months old, but eventually had to change to formula as he simply wasn't getting what he needed. So I say well done for sticking with it! I wish we could have.

I'd love to see some pics. I will PM my email address to you.

WRT to the Babies Online pages, I just use their gallery and update my photos regularly. You can use an external photo site that allows more pictures and link it to your page if you want, though.

Hi Bec, Kyla's next hearing test is at 10 months, the first two tests I had to get her to sleep and they play different frequency sounds and look at her brain waves. They stuck the sensors on her head with a tape which was horrible to get out. The last test came back perfect but due to her birth weight she has to get all done.
    I love it when I need to go shopping for Kyla - it is definatley more fun shopping for the bubs that yourself!

Nickers- So glad that you have Nixon home from Mothers day! I'd love you to send me some photos - I'll PM you.
    IKWYM re: BF. Like Bec, I had probs with Kyla latching on as she has a small little mouth and she would also fall asleep. I perservered with trying to BF then topping up with EBM in a bottle, then expressing for about 4 months. I tried to do only breast feeds to see if she would get used to it but the MCHN was worried about her weight so I finally went into the mother baby unit in Mitcham where they got her fully breastfeed.....then had to stop and put her on formula due to meds I was on!
    Needless to say, I understand that it is difficult. Was he fully on BF in hospital? ARe they weighing him regularly now? I know that I tried to keep her awake with a change half way through and lots of tickling her feet etc.

Hi Divvy, how are you?

If I don't speak to you before...
    HAPPY MOTHERS DAY EVERYONE

...I'm pretty excited about my 1st mums day...

Carrie- Just sent you the pics of Nixon coming home.

Thanks for sharing your feeding stories does sound like a regular pattern with premmies and feeding.
    At the hospital I was BF him when i could get there (about 2 feeds a day) and the rest of the time (toward the end once feeding tube out) they gave him my expressed milk in a bottle.
    It does seem to take a while for Nixon to get on properly, I have to use a nipple sheild (due to flat nipples) which i thinkh e finds quiet big for his mouth at the moment.
    4months you guys certainly did persist for a long while anyway, so i will see how he go, no doubt his mouth will grow and latching on might get easier.
    Whe he is on i think he definatley is getting enough he settles well after feeds and i know that my milk comes in bucket loads so doesn't have to work too hard to get it!!

Did anyone see a short story on the news tonight there was a couple bringing their baby home who spent a few weeks in special crae at Royal childrens hosp. and was saying how all she wanted was to have her son home for mothers day etc, watched them getting in the car etc, that was me yesterday!

So anyone have any special plans that they know of for sunday?

Nickers, I saw that story - and got a bit teary!
    We're having lunch on Mothers Day at my MIL house. What about you? Although just having your little boy home will be special enough!!!

Well no happy mothers day at home for me!

Glad to see you are all going to have your bubbas home with you on mothers day and i am so glad to see everyone's little ones are thriving!

its hard racoon - i know. Ours kids first xmas and new years was spent with them in special care. And funnily enough their second xmas we ended up in hosipital with DS .
    Its these special days that are hardest. We just made the best of it and celebrated these occassions the best we could at the hospital. Make sure you still get piccs of your first mothers day.

will be thinkin of you and he will be home in your arms in no time.

Well i am grateful that we get to spend mothers day with him considering he was so early, so im not really upset about him not being home..

Im sorry to hear that you had to spend those days at the hospital but im sure it makes you cherish each one now?

Racs tomorrow is going to be just as special for you, like me you wern't even to be a mummy this mothers day & look what u got!
    Sounds like Ronan is going really well again, so happy to hear!

I'm about to take Nixon on his first outing! would you belive its to the hospital! he has to get weiged just to make sure he's been getting enough since being home for two days, will post back here with how he went.

Edited to Add: Nixon now weighs 2700g!! (5pound 9 i think that is)
    Total weight gain since birth = 404grams

Hi All!

Nic, I forgot to PM you my email address yesterday - have just sent it now. 2700g, that's great - well done Nixon! How exciting being on the news too! I'm in Sydney, so unfortunately I didn't see it.

Carrie, have a lovely lunch with your family tomorrow!

Rac, Joshua was in hospital for Father's Day last year and the nurses in Newborn Care made up a special little gift for the Dads of all the babies who were in hospital. They took a photo of each of the bubs and put them in little Father's Day cards with an IOU for a hug.

We're probably going to go out for lunch tomorrow. Just the three of us as my Mum lives about 5 hours away and my MIL passed away in 2004. DH and Josh have been out doing secret stuff at the shops this afternoon and I've told them I want breakfast in bed tomorrow morning!

I'll try to pop in tomorrow, but just in case I don't...

Happy Mother's Day to you all!

Bec, thanks i just sent u his pics!
    DH ran out for a while today to get some things! if we can get our selves sorted we may go out for lunch which will be our first real outing!
    when Nixon was in hosp early in the peice i said to one of the nurses i'd love to have him home for mothers day she told me thats its a very special day in NICU & SCN on mothers & fathers day, she didnt want to tell me what they do to b a surprise if he were still there, so i am sure all mum's with bubs in hosp will have an extra special day tomorrow!

Happy Mothers Day to all!!

Great pics, Nic! I have one of Joshua in his carseat coming home from hospital that looks almost exactly the same as the one of Nixon!

I hope everyone has had a lovely day. I got very, very spoiled! A sleep in and breakfast made for me, flowers and pressies and then DH and Josh took me out for lunch. I felt very special! I hope you all got spoiled too!

Tiff, just noticed you online. Haven't seen you about much lately...hope all is ok. Would love to hear from you when you get a chance.

Happy Mother's Day Everyone!

Hi there,

Rac - It's difficult on days like today, not having yout little one home with you. I hope that you got to spend heaps of time with Ronan today and that the hospital helped to make it a special first Mothers Day for you . I treid to have a quick peek into Ronan's site to see how he was doing, but couldn't get in. Hope that he is well sweety. It is so true that having had your bubs in hospital for some time and going through what premmie mums go through makes every event, milestone and day even more special.
    Kyla was in hospital for Christian's first Fathers Day and the Woman's Hospital made it really special. When we got to the hospital there was a little card for Christian on Kyla's isolette with a photo of her dressed in a little "frock". It was beautiful and something that we will always look back on to see how far she has come.

Nickers- Well done Nixon with the fantastic weight gain! How's the BF going Nick? Hope he has settled down a little for you.
    Hope you had a fantastic day today and got spoilt by DH and Nixon! Did you get to go on your outing?

Bec - Hope you also had a great day and got a yummy relaxing brekkie in bed!

tiggy Guest

Hi Bec,
    Yep online but feeling crap. Have currently got the worst case of PND ever and don't know what to do with myself. Not coping very well and feel so stupid, and lost. Probably won't be online much until I get this darn thing under control.

Tiff, I'm so glad that you popped in - although I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling crap at the moment. Please don't feel stupid though - you are not. You're a smart, brave woman who is able to acknowledge that what you are feeling is PND. I know you are a very busy mum, but have you had an opportunity to talk to someone (doctor/counsellor/etc) about what you are going through? Someone that can offer you some support? I'd hate to think of you feeling lost and battling it alone. And I know you said you might not be online for a bit, but remember that you can always pop in here for some moral support if you want, ok? I'm about to send you a PM...

Carrie, Yep, had a lovely day thanks! Didn't get the breakfast in bed, but it was made for me and waiting when I got up, so that was enough for me!

Well, we saw the CHN this morning. Josh now weighs 8.75kg and is 73.5cm long. I was a bit concerned about his weight as he hasn't had much of an appetite of late, but he has still managed to put on 220g in the past 2 weeks, so I am really happy with that.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast