thread: My DD 'talks back' and I am happy about it!!

Mar 2007

My DD 'talks back' and I am happy about it!!

We have recently been on holiday at my Nan's house for a couple of weeks. And while we were there she mentioned she was amazed (and amused) at how DD1 will argue with us. How she will tell us exactly what she thinks, lol. I haven't thought about it that much until she pointed it out. She doesn't argue all the time of just for the sake of arguing but if something is not right for her she will let us know!

The main funny one when we were there was that DH was getting frustrated with her because he was trying to get her to bed and she wouldn't take her shoes off so he eventually just took them off her himself but forgot to undo the strap and accidentally hurt her. She came in to us crying and said 'Daddy is being so mean to me! He is being so mean! He took my shoes off and didn't even undo them!' Then he came in and she told him the same thing. He tried to explain and she said 'No! You do not be mean to me! I didn't want to take my shoes off yet! You were not listening to me. I wanted to brush my teeth first. I will have to put you in your room and you can have some time out!' And we don't even do time out so she's obviously seen it somewhere and decided that's just what he needs, pmsl.

Anyway, I just thought, this is awesome! It shows me she is not afraid of us, not afraid of getting into trouble for telling us what she thinks even if she doesn't agree with us. Not afraid to stand up for herself and will let someone know when they do something she doesn't like.

When I was a kid not many people would 'talk back' to their parents. You'd probably get a smack. I don't want my kids to feel like that. And I don't want them to think they are less important than adults and that their opinions and needs are less important than adults. So I was just happy about what some people would see as something we need to change in our DD. I don't see it like that at all, I think we are on the right track

Yay for kids that 'talk back' LOL

Apr 2008
    Home, where else??

Congratulations on raising a self-assured, confident young lady. She sounds delightful (most of the time!).

Jul 2008
    summer street

Yes! How funny! I agree entirely, especially since it shows she has spirit and determination- two essential traits necessary for succeeding in this world especially as a woman.

My dd isn't afraid of anyone it seems. When my mum tried to quietly tell her off, and even I was getting scared, she goes 'talk to yourself nana' and my mum burst out laughing and said 'she's got pluck which is what she needs!'

I always tell dd to talk to me like a normal person, and not scream or tantrum, and when she does, she pretty much gets her own way on everything (within reason). It makes for a happy home I think.

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

I totally agree. Well done! There's a difference between a self assured chi,d raised in a happy healthy environment with parents she trusts rather than fears and "negative behaviour" she's well within her right as a human being IMO to speak up when she's not happy.

Add Butterfly Dawn on Facebook

Aug 2008
    Climbing Mt foldmore

Interesting.
    I totally agree with this in theory and suspect it may take away a lot of tantrums because the child is listened too.
    Valued as a person and shows that all family members are equaly valued.
    This is the total op to how I was raised, how a lot of us were I think

unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. its not.
    Dr Seuss
    Last edited by Butterfly Dawn; August 12th, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Nov 2008
    Perth

She sounds just like our DD1 who will be 3 in a month. Thanks for putting a positive spin on what can be a very trying trait at times

Oct 2006
    Melbourne

She sounds like both my kids. We call them 'spirited' lol!

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

It's hilarious when the tables turn like that. I'm glad you see it as a good thing - it's something to be proud of, really.

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

we get this a lot too - and i've come to realise it's not a bad thing - i'm glad she knows that she can talk to us and tell us the truth about things.

can be amusing with the things she comes out with though - poor Daddy is the SAHP and he can't get away with anything! She knew he couldn't pick her up after his operation so she is STILL telling me every time daddy picks her up - she'll demand to talk to me on the phone when i'm at work and tell me what he's done lol.

if she is upset about something we ask her to use her words and explain what is upsetting her - i figure if we can get her to talk things through, even if we're the ones that are "at fault" in making her upset, hopefully she'll have the confidence to speak up about anything/everything...

Jul 2005
    Sydney

I'm very happy for DD1 who's six to voice her opinion, but I do insist she does it respectfully and that she listens when I talk to her too. There's a difference between voicing her opinion and screaming because she isn't happy about something that has a very good reason behind it. The same rules apply to me and DP when dealing with her. We listen to her (although whingeing has a short tolerance span) and we don't yell or show her disrespect.

Like you, I want her to speak up, but I want her to learn the best way to do that is respectfully. I would not want her to go to school and yell at people when she isn't getting her own way.

Dec 2008

If that's what works for you then that's great.

Jun 2010
    District Twelve

I want to word this so it doesnt come out the wrong way....

I think what can be cute at three or four or five, can be a real problem when they are 10, 13, 16....and beyond.

I agree with Jen that kids need to be able to voice their wants, needs, wishes, hurts, etc in a safe environment. But they need to be respectful and they also need to know that sometimes their wants, needs, etc are secondary to the group's wants, needs, etc. Often in life you just have to do "as you are told" even if you don't like it. You cant complain. You just have to suck it up.

There are a million situations where this is the case, for a million different reasons. I just think there is a balance between raising a child to think independently and raising a child who is going to encounter a lot of problems because they think their opinion or what they want should be the most important consideration for everyone else in the room.

Add Sterla on Facebook

Jun 2008
    Tasmania

Haha! That is so funny, but so fantastic!!!

Dec 2006

I agree with Jen that kids need to be able to voice their wants, needs, wishes, hurts, etc in a safe environment. But they need to be respectful and they also need to know that sometimes their wants, needs, etc are secondary to the group's wants, needs, etc. Often in life you just have to do "as you are told" even if you don't like it. You cant complain. You just have to suck it up.
    we dont just let her have her say and she gets away with it - if she is saying something, we listen, and then we talk through WHY her thought process is right or wrong. it often means a heap of back and forth and soooooooo many WHY's - but we don't have a "just because" attitude - it never worked with me when i was growing up, and i suspect DD is so much like me that we NEED to hear her and make sure she understands rather than just telling her "this is how it is". being simply told to do/be/act in a certain way just led me to rebelling against things - when the reasons why i should do/be/act in a certain way were explained (actions and consequences) i got it - and when i knew why i shouldn't do something, i wouldn't do it....

it's definitely a balancing act - but i think teaching kids to suck it up can be harmful - teaching them WHY is far more healthy

Jun 2010
    District Twelve

BG, I think you misunderstood me. I dont think we should raise kids to do as they are told without explanation or to just 'suck it up'. I was just saying that we often encounter that as adults and that we need to prepare kids for the way the world is.

There are times when arguing the point is not appropriate and can lead you into all sorts of problems (as a teen/adult). And, yes, there are times when you do just have to accept things you dont like, even if you dont understand the reasons behind it.

Trust me, my DD is far from a compliant robot. She is free-thinking, questioning, imaginative, rebellious... Do I expect her to do as I say? Yes. Do I explain to her why I want her to do particular things? Most times. But I know that she understands when it's appropriate to argue the point or refuse to comply.

Dec 2006

fair enough

even as an adult, i will question anything i don't understand though - it may not seem appropriate at the time, but in the long run, understanding at the time has saved a lot of stress later - DH's recent cancer treatment is one case in point - i decided to just accept that medicos in emergency knew what they were doing in terms of dressings and things - even though in my gut something felt wrong, i didn't push my questioning and he ended up with infections, graft died, weeks of nurse visits and additional surgery. the second surgery, i didn't leave until i knew exactly what was going on and exactly why. the nurses seemed peeved with me, but when we ended up back in emergency that night, i knew what the surgeon wanted in terms of dressings, so i didn't let them put the type they wanted to - which would have likely resulted in graft death and massive infection again - i had to argue with them, and justify it all - and again, i know they weren't happy - but DH ended up with no infections this time round and his graft has taken.

yes, it's important to know when to argue and when to let sleeping dogs lie, but sometimes, you need to have the confidence to argue even when you (or others) think it may be inappropriate to do so. kids can only learn that by being taught about limits when they're growing up/developing. they will learn to pick their battles only if we give them the tools/knowledge on how to pick them...

Jun 2010
    District Twelve

I agree. Kids need to understand there are limits.

You might not have noticed this about me but I am not afraid to take on anyone if I think something is not right Lack of confidence when it comes to putting forward my opinion is not something I suffer from
    My DD has been cursed with the same personality. Or is that blessed?? Hmmmm....not sure

Dec 2006

i came from a home in which mum encouraged talking about why, dad beat the crap out of me if i dared - so i still struggle with the confidence to step up sometimes (hence the issues with DH's first surgery - even though i felt something was wrong, i didn't have the confidence to fight for him) - i don't want that for DD (for any kid). DD has been blessed (cursed?) with the same inquisitive nature that i had/have, so we're trying to encourage her question but also about limits to questioning and when she has to simply accept that, even if she doesnt agree, she has to comply for safety etc

I know this is totally OT from the OP, but i think it's an interesting and worthwhile conversation to be having - so sorry OP if this wasn't the way you thought this thread would go!