Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Parenting after LTTTC #2

Murph, just had a look at your photos... you're leaving that?! It looks beautiful there. It looks like you had a lovely quiet, relaxing day.

Hi Megan, I can't believe how big Noah is now. We are lamenting the loss of our favourite little 5 zeros outfits that were too big at first and now laughably small. Jasmine is a big 3.57 kilos now and was 2.2 on leaving hospital. I can't believe babies are born still bigger. my hat goes off to you girls with regular sized babies.

I don't think i have posted the link to earlier photos, so for those that like sticky (like me), here is my brag book of our tiny tiger

Angela Bengsen's Photos - Jasmine photos | Facebook

So Jasmine is just bigger than Noah was when he was born! He was 3.4kg and is now around 8.8kg!
    It is sad to say goodbye to those little clothes. We have just packed up 2 more boxes of everything from 0000-00 as he only wears 0 now and we have even had to buy a couple of size 1 suits because he's tall.
    Jasmine is just beautiful. So little, I can't even imagine.

Hey Megan, I know what you mean about leaving this place. I can't believe that when I left Townsville to come up here, I was upset and counting the days til we moved back. But by the first year of living in the far north, we knew it would be impossible to ever imagine moving back to dry old "Brownsville". Ahh but especially now with Jazzy's deafness, we have to base ourselves somewhere closer to a regional centre for her treatment. Anyway, if we stay put too long, maybe we will miss another piece of Paradise somewhere else. We knew when I left my well-paying job, sold our house and cars and most of our possessions in order to make our tree/sea change that we would eventually have to go back to life in the real world with real jobs.

Thanks for your comments on Jasmine. She was so tiny and I suppose still is but to us she is getting huge, even though she is still mostly in 5 zeros. 3.4 kilos is just a normal weight, it's not like Neptune's little boomba they all catch up though and I wonder when Jazz will be 8.8 kilos.

Just wanted to dob in KellyD and pressure her to share her facebook photos with us here. They are beautiful kelly. I've wanted to see Princess Tara for so long and pictured her through all your descriptions. She is just absolutely gorgeous and bursting with smiles for everyone. My Dh is almost as in love with Tara as with Jazz. I think he may have a soft spot for girls hey?

As always I'm following behind you Kelly but I have been a bit worried that Jazz isn't smiling yet. It is used by everyone as the first milestone and it's like those comments when you are pregnant "oh you're so small", now it's "is she smiling yet?" and it just makes me feel stressed because I suppose with the hearing loss, it makes me wonder if there are other connections that are not working. It's probably silly, she does smile and it's a beautiful thing, but she doesn't smile at us yet and there's only so long I can blame her developmental age.

By the way, as I said earlier, she didn't go back to bed after her morning feed and then her first proper sleep all day apart from a few power naps was at 8p.m! what a day. I just seemed to feed her and try to settle her to sleep all day. I'm sure she knows I am really trying to study for my stupid psychology exam. It's already been deferred by two months and I only have to do this one exam until I put uni on hold for a while, but I have to somehow do it next month and she is not helping me.

Well all is well and Jamine is sleeping now, so I'd better try too.

P.S Kelly, I didn't buy the activity centre, I won't ever have to buy another thing for the rest of her life and she will still be too spoilt! We literally have enough clothes to wear an outfit everyday of the year and never have to wash. My sister gave me all her hand me downs which were great, and despite telling everyone we don't need clothes after that, every single gift since her birth has contained clothes (no joke). We bought her a single solitary book for christmas...tight wads hey? Well Santa will pull out the big guns when she is old enough to at least smile in appreciation

Hi Girls

At Murph's insistence here are my recent photo's of Tara from this month..Login | Facebook

Murph, Jazz will soon start smiling all the time for you, Tara was a bit slow off the mark and it was so hard to catch the brief smile she would give us and then all of a sudden she started smiling at everything, she is now sort of laughing... she has the mouth action going but is still not quite there with the associated sound.

As for Jazz being unsettled, Tara was the same after her immunisations. It zonked her out the first night and then for about a week afterwards she didn't seem her usual self and was unsettled sleeping and at times just being a cranky pants. It doesn't help that the immunisation time coincides with the 8 weeks "Wonder Week" stage either. So much our little ones have to go through.

I can't believe how much Jazz has grown although compared to my big chubster she is such a tiny angel. Tara is now in 00 clothes, the only 000 left are dresses but even they won't last much longer. We weighed her 2 days before Xmas and she is a huge 5.5kg, with her next MCHN visit sheduled for another week away it wouldn't surprise me if she is double her birth weight or close to it (3.2kg's).

Oh, now for the good and bad... Good news is that Tara is now a fantastic night sleeper, she is sleeping somewhere between 12-13 hours which is probably longer than recommended but I let her wake herself up so she is not miserable plus she generally only seems to have 1 big nap during the day every other sleep is a power nap only.

Bad news is that I am trying to find ways to help with her reflux, any ideas would be great. After every feed we always have vomit, sometimes just a little and other times so much that both Tara & I end up with a change of clothes. It can vary from just a bit of overflow (ie: undigested formula) to large chunks of partially digested formula, we have even had instances of chunks of formula in a clear fluid (like saliva). We have her propped up to sleep and hold her upright for a good 1/2 hours after feeds, but we still get something come up even 1-2 hours after feeding. She doesn't seem to suffer from any pain from the reflux (as she sometimes smiles afterwards when she still have vomit in her mouth), just the constant vomit associated when she eats. She is already on Lactose Free formula, so I don't know if I should be adding thickener to her formula what would you all recommend the best plan of attacked as I'm paranoid everytime we go to someones house that she will puke all over there furniture etc..

Hi Kelly,
    woah, I couldn't do the 12-13 hour sleep even if Jazz wanted to. She still needs to feed through the night and if she doesn't she gets dehydrated. Last night she slept for 9 hours and I woke up at her feed times but she didn't so I let her sleep through. She woke at 5, had a short feed, then all three of us had lovely big sleep-in together in our bed. Unfortunately there was a tell-tale sign in her nappy in the morning (urates). have you had them at all? It's like crystalised uric acid I think and it's an orangy, blood-like colour. It may just be a problem with small babies. I learnt all about it in hospital when I got a tut-tut from a nurse when I explained it. I haven't had it since but at least I recognise it and will wake her for feeds if she sleeps through tonight.

Today has been great and all seems back on track....and....drum roll please....we got smiles!!!!!!! Oh happy day, lots of gorgeous big cheeky grins at everything, including the dog. It's hard to catch one on camera but got a bit of phone footage. What a heart melting moment. So relieving to see her making those connections and we both saw at the same time so we couldn't deny they were real. can't wait til play time tomorrow

Sorry about your problems with the reflux, you might find some other threads talking about those issues if no one gets back to you soon. I am fully breast feeding so I don't have the same problems but i hope you get help for your lovely girl.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ing-forum.html

I haven't chencked it, but found this site Kel. there are also others that might help.

Cheers

Thanks Murph

I've had a look at the reflux forum and am going to ask the MCHN on our next visit. I don't know if the reflux has been caused by Tara having a bit of a cold and she has been trying to get all the yuck out of her system or if it is a long term problem.

As for the nappy issue after her long sleeps, no problems so far... As she is only awake for about 12 hours a day (less if you take out her daytime sleeps) she is feeding every 3 - 3 1/2 hours so she seems to be well hydrated and all we get are very heavy wet nappies in the morning and they don't have an overly strong smell either. I think she either takes after her daddy and loves her sleep, or she is still trying to get over this cold she has had and sleep is the best medicine for her.

Hi everyone!

I hope you have all had a lovely Christmas and looking forward to NYE with bubs tonight. I will be having a quiet one, maybe with a glass of champagne and just about to head out to buy the prawns to marinate!

Murph and KellyD - your girls are soooo beautiful.

KellyD - I hear you on the reflux. Adam has been having the same problem ever since 8 weeks. He seems to have a pattern though, and it is only during play time when he gets excited and he seems to lose most of his milk. At night time when re-settling it doesn't seem to happen, so I think his problem has got to do with movement.

Adam is a little champion and I am so in love with him. I can't imagine life without him and don't know what on earth I was doing before. I think he is coping well with life so far and I feel very blessed and lucky.

He is 10 weeks old now and would weigh approx just under 7kg - he was last weighed at the GP 2 weeks ago and he was 6.6kg . His weight gain has slowed down now. I always wanted a bald fat baby, and I sure got one!

100% formula feeding now, lost my milk through just expressing at 6 weeks. The guilt has now passed, but I really suffered for a while. Now I just feel happy that he is healthy and happy and that I gave it my best shot, but that he wasn't getting satisfied and was wrecking my nipples (just like he has wrecked a few teats on bottles). He's a destroyer! He is sleeping very well too, with the occasional bad night.

Hello to everyone, and I hope you are all enjoying your little bundles.

For anyone who wants a stickybeak....
    Login | Facebook

wow Neptune - my little bubba only hit 7kg at 6 months! i love chubby little bubbas though - so cute! Emerald isn't overly chubby - but she's also not super slim! she has fat rolls - they are just little ones!

not a lot happening here - E is trying to crawl, teething, rolling heaps - lots of stuff going on so we've had some sleep regression. but it's not too much of an issue - she is mostly a very happy baby and is a joy to be around. she has so many words already (her latest is "kiss" - when she is supposed to be feeding and knows she is going to fall asleep but doesn't want to, she will come off the boob "kiss kiss" - giving her a kiss means she delays the inevitable bed time - but how can you NOT lol?)

Wow Neptune,Adam is such a cutie and such a big boy as well, and I think Tara is getting big but she is nothing compared to your boy. Sorry to hear that b/fing has stopped for you, but now your poor nipples can heal and as you said he can take it all out on the teats now.

Tara had her first feed today with Thickener in her bottle and I gave her some Infants Friend before the feed and so far so good, nothing has come back up and she actually had a very happy morning playtime with lots of smiles and no regurgitation. I'm hoping this may solve her reflux issue, especially as we have a wedding to go to on Sunday and I was paranoid that she would be a cranky pants the whole day..

Briggsysgirl, you gave me goose bumps. How cool these little people are. I have lots of vocalisations going on and I hope we can get some hearing before Jasmine stops making sounds. That's the only thing that upsets me is that around 6 months, she will stop trying to talk because she gets no sound feedback. We should know if the hearing aids work by then and can look at Cochlear implants. Anyway, so very happy for you, it sounds soooo cute. Is that early for talking?

Neptune - thanks for the sticky beak. Adam is gorgeous and i smiled all the way through.

can't stop...jazzy neeeeeeds me NOW.xox

Just wishing everyone a very happy new year.

For some of us 2009 was a year we will always remember and hopefully 2010 will be full of good surprises for our mum's embarking on the next TTC journey.

Have a good night everyone and enjoy your little tipple if you are going to indulge or if you are like me you will be in bed by the time 12.00am rolls around .

OOkk KellyD, love the avatar, is that new? Love it. I better update mine as I still have a preg belly.

Happy New Year to everyone, enjoy, see you in 2010.

HAPPY NEW YEAR GIRLS!!!! So much to look forward to this year

Hope you all enjoyed your New Years celebrations!

We went to 2 parties and didnt get home until 4.30am and didnt get to sleep until 6am! Trent was a GEM the whole night. We got to our first party at 9.30pm, fed him and he slept until we left which was 1.30am, then went to the next party and didnt leave there until 4am and he was still sleeping! He woke when we got home, so fed him and he slept until 8.30am. Him and DP are asleep now the lucky things! I of course was the designated driver so only had 2 drinks for the night. Im sure DP is going to wake up with a sore head!!

We had our 8 week appointment yesterday with the MHCN. Trent is now weighing a whopping 5.7kgs, I couldnt believe it!!! He weighed 4.2kgs at 4 weeks. He is in the 70% range for his weight. He is now measuring 57cms which is 7cms bigger than his birth measurement. The only concern she had was that she could hear a heart murmur so we have to take him to a GP to get it checked out. That is concerning but have been told its pretty common. Otherwise he is a beautiful and happy little boy

Kelly - I have been using the Karicare thickener in Trent's formula for about 2 weeks now and have found its helped his vomitting ALOT. I am also trying him as of today on a colic formula called Novalac which the MHCN said was a good brand to see if the helps his wind pain. Its made by the makers of Elevit and its got less lactose in it which apparently is what causes alot of the bloating and wind pain babies get. I'll add the thickener to that as well.

Neptune - I too have stopped bfeeding now. Did that Christmas Eve. I felt guilty as well and really miss it but as I have mentioned before, he was practically completely formula fed anyway so instead of having 100mls of formula after an hour of bfeeding, he is now having 150mls which he polishes off fairly quickly most of the time since we thickened it and changed to colic teats and it now gives us more "playtime" with him. And like Trent, Adam is a nice big and healthy baby so thats all that matters

BG - Trent has LOTS of fat rolls, hehe Have to be careful of them and make sure we clean them properly as milk gets in his little crevises! How cute about E and her "kisses", how could anyone resist that!!!

to Murph, Lily Dust, Marcellus and Megan.

Enjoy your first day of 2010

Take care,
    Tania

happy new year ladies! AND beautiful bubbas of course!

Murph - am hoping the hearing aids give you some hearing for your poppet and can look a the cochlear impants for her. i know a number of mummy's that use basic signing with their bubbas to decent effect already at 6-7months, and their children opt to communicate that way as well as through words - i'm sure you would be looking into it, but i wanted to comment. i know some of the mum's find the signing to be more effective communication than words for their babies... to answer the question about E's talking - i'm pretty sure she is advanced with her words. she has a range of maybe 10 words that she uses clearly, and babbles a lot more - she is a very talkative little vegemite! she says mum, dad, daddeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, pup (for the dogs), boob (for drink - but it comes out very cute! kinda short and excited), ho ho (for santa - mummy is a bad influence!) oof ooof (barking back at the dogs - she started that one on her own!), hi, harro (hello) and now Kiss - the first time she said it i thought i was hearing things - DH was giving me a kiss while i fed her in bed. she came off, looked at him and said kiss. refused to go back to feeding no matter what i tried until she got her kiss - then happily fed. so we know that she knows what it means!

she is a very affectionate poppet - not very cuddly as such, but likes to be with people and talking to them. she will give EVERYONE a big glowing smile and can engage complete strangers with her smile and her eyes and chatter. have had a few compliments of late!

she is trying to crawl - kinda half commando crawling, but she gets around enough to be content. is loving solids and gets very excited when we put anything new in her. her latest "fave" is spag bol - with capsicum, onion, pineapple - she loves it!! and, given how messy spag bol CAN be, she doesn't make much mess at all!

ahhh, proud mummy waffle - should stop here now lol

I've been away for what feels like forever, but I'm back now.

Spent just over a week with my parents over Christmas and came home yesterday - good to be back at home and in our own beds once more. Having Sam join us in a double bed is nowhere near as comfortable as in our queen bed!

I'm a bit spun out to realise that I'm entering into my third calendar year as a parent. Not that Sam saw much of 2008, but it's when he was born.

We got through his party - and I found having things work out with his party as I wanted them to helped me heal from our birth trauma quite a lot. Managed to not kill any of the inlaws as well, which was good. Lots of cool presents for Sam... and then Christmas not even a week later and even more presents for him... he's done well! But I know that we'll always have to make a huge effort to ensure that his birthday isn't swallowed by Christmas every year.

I can also report that he walks! We got him a push along walker for his birthday (he got it early) and only just started using it to walk around... and then after only a few days he ditches it and will now walk a few steps without holding on to anything. He still prefers to crawl as it gets him places faster, but he actually WALKS! He now weighs in at just over 11kg... he's got so big! Has a few more words, but not many of them that we can actually understand.

We're currently having issues convincing him to sleep this afternoon - I'd best go take over from DH.

BW

Hi Everyone

Neptune: I changed my Avi pretty soon after Tara arrived. Strange as we all seem so keen to change our Avi to having a preggy belly but I couldn't wait to have mine changed to having a bubba included.

I hope everyone else is doing well and had an enjoyable NYE, I can't believe it is 2010 already.

BW: Wow that Sam is already starting to take some steps and for a little boy that came early he has certainly developed at an outstanding rate.

AFU: We took Tara to a friend's wedding yesterday and she was an absolute gem, no puke on her party dress and she ate when hungry, played with everyone and had a couple of sleeps early on (like during the ceremony...yay) and then crashed in her pram around 9.30pm and didn't wake when we put her in the car or into bed and didn't wake until 9am this morning. I was so relieved that she was so well behaved and a lot of people commented that they wouldn't have known she was even there. Here are some photo's if you are interested. Only a couple of the 3 of us as a family, but nice to have Login | Facebook

It also seems that the thickener I am adding to her formula is helping with the reflux as well, so everything is going along nicely at the moment. Oh, it is also hard to believe but Tara is 12 weeks old today..

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast