Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Slow Cooker Chatter #15

I have silverside in mine today. It is pretty cool here today so looking forward to a nice warm dinner. Stupid weather it is...

Trish -
    How are you doing the silverside in the sc? What liquid and other ingredients are you putting in? I'm starting to think of things I want to cook nearer to christmas to impress the MIL!

Debbie Lee Guest

Heidi - there's some silverside recipes in the SC recipe thread It'll sure impress the MIL! hehehe

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I'm working on the recipe books guys!!!! Wont be too much longer. Perhaps I should make the SC one separate there are so many!!! If anyone has any to-die-for recipes they want me to consider including, let me know!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Heidi, I just put enough water in the SC to come up 3/4 the side of silverside. I chop up 2 onions, a good tablespoon of brown sugar, and a good splash of brown vinegar. (all accurately measured and 2 boqui garni. (now I know i spelt that wrong). Today I had no brown vinegar or brown sugar so used white for both, still works the same. Oh and a dash of black pepper. I put mine in frozen, stick it on auto and let it cook for the day. So about 6 - 7 hours. Tastes devine

Trish -

Thanks for the info - where do I find/buy the bouqi garni thingy??? And did you use a corned silverside or just a plain one? Will let you know how it turns out! :P

I use corned silverside, I think. PMSL We get them from Aldi. The Bouqi Garni is sold in a packet, tehy are like little herb tea bags. You will find them with the spices in your supermarket, woolies or coles. They are great too, ou can through them into casseroles too.

Goodluck, ours was delish

Debbie Lee Guest

Sounds unreal Kelly!
    I think most of us have included our favourite recipes in the recipe thread already? Unless someone is keeping secrets??? hehehe

Waaah - I am doign a Spag bol in the slow cooker today, and its not turning out anywhere near how I thought it would.
    Was I supposed to brown the meat first? I just chucked it all in, and its been on low for about 4hrs now, and its looking seriously anaemic. Not rich and tomatoey like I thought it would.
    Should I whack it on high for a while??? If I was cooking it on the stove I would evaporate off some of the water - it looks really watery and needs thickening. I'll be gutted if I can't get a spag to work in the slow cooker. It was one of the main reasons for me getting one! To save on mess....
    Help?

Debbie Lee Guest

Fi - you do need the halve the amount of liquid you would use on a stove-top when you use the SC because of the lack of evapouration.
    I find with mince I need to brown it first.... but I know others on here don't.
    Have you given it a stir? Maybe putting it on high will help. It may start looking better after a few more hours?? Not sure what you can do to thicken it up.

If it doesn't look any better in a couple of hours it will be put into a pot and boiled to dry out on the stove.
    I didn't know that about halving the amount of liquid. That would be right..... Grrrrr I have stuffed this up I think!! I might try and take some of the liquid out before it has all the flavour in it.

Do not stress! I thought the same thing when I first made spag bog, because to me it looked grey... but it does get better and regardless it tastes fantastic Try not to worry there's a few hours before dinner yet

*hugs*
    Cailin

Fi, if I've got something too watery I just bung it on high and then take the lid off for a while and it seems to evaporate the water off ok.

I've taken heaps of water out. I normally add about 2 tins of water when I am cooking spag bol on the stove top, and then I have to keep adding it as I'm evaporating it off. That way I get a lovely rich tomatoey sauce.
    Its looking better, its been on high for the last hour, and heaps of water is coming to the top, so I'm taking that out. The good thing is the fat is coming off too The pork mince I used was frozen, so it probably had more water in it than normal.
    The other thing is that the tomatoes aren't breaking up. Normally I use whole tomatoes, and it all just dissolves in the pot. So far nothing, I might have to get the masher out and break them up manually.

Its tasting a bit grey still - Next time I do it I might brown the mince and onions off first, and then put it all in.
    Thanks for your help guys

Debbie Lee Guest

How's everyone going? Much slow cooking being done?

Mine have been hidden in the cupboard for a while. I'm not sure I could hack the aromas wafting around the house all day. Morning sickness isn't toooo bad but I don't want to tempt fate, iykwim?

I'm thinking about doing a whole chook soon. Chicken hasn't been sitting all that well with me (as in chicken breast) but I reckon off the bone might be ok? A bit more moist?
    I've been craving sausage casserole too. Maybe next week if there's a cooler day in there somewhere.

OUr house looks like a bomb hit it. DH is making cupboards, and everything that was in the rooms is in the dining room now. With him being home, I haven't been using the SC, but plan to start again next week. Got this fab recipe book from R o y c o which has some very nice recipes to try in the SC, so I am dying to start. I have been using it for soup a lot, a good way to get all the veggies into the diet Lol.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I made a really yummy low fat chicken dish the other night called Chicken Parmesan, it was delicious. And definitely going to be a regular.

Whats the recipe??!?!?!?!?

*hugs*
    Cailin

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast