Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Slow Cooker Chatter #15

Tigergirl1980 Guest

It's in the weight watchers recipes that you gave me But I will post it for everyone.

Chicken Parmesan (5.5 Points)

Serves 4

2 tsp Olive Oil
    4 Skinless chicken breasts
    1 1/3 cups crushed tomatoes
    2 large cloves garlic, crushed
    1 tsp Sugar
    Pinch of Celery seeds (I couldn't fnd any so used a few shakes of celery salt instead)
    2 tbsp Dry Red Wine
    1/2 Cup Shredded mozzarella cheese
    2 tbsp Grated parmesan cheese

Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over med-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned. Combine the chicken and the next 5 ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours (the recipe says 6-8 but I find chicken breasts only need about 4) Combine the cheeses in a small bowl and sprinkle them over the chicken. Cook until the cheeses are melted, about 15 mins.

I assume from this recipe they cut the chicken up but I left them breasts whole and they were fine, but you could cut them up and you could probably leave the browning and just chuck it all in.

Per serving: 249 cal, 8.3g fat, 364mg sodium, 1.3g fibre

Debbie Lee Guest

Good job, Fletchy! Yay for Scott being able to eat decent food again, hey

haha fletch! you and me both have dusted off our SC's!

I finally cooked a stew the other night in there and enjoyed it! I didnt gag at the *smell*.

Question - I leave for work at 7am, and get home around 6pm and have found the recipes I've tried to be a bit dry with the meat (even using thighs). Any ideas on how to cook stuff for 11 hours and have it a raging success? I was thinking of doubling all quantities to make it more to cook, but not sure if this would help...

Debbie Lee Guest

Are you cooking them on low, Kaz?

I had a chook going today. I'm finding that chicken breast fillets sit in my gut for too long atm so I thought a whole chook in the SC would be a better option to go with a salad (Neil's Mr. Salad atm). Was good to get my widdle SC out again

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Kazbah- Having a bigger quantity could help but 11 hours is a pretty long time for most things. Maybe you could try a timer, you know one of those ones that you can set to go on and a particular time? Then you can have your SC go on later and then dinner should be ready when you get home and be perfect instead of dry?

Yeps, its on low. First recipe I tried was the apricot chicken one from here, and although the actual liquid was perfect, the meat wasn't. Maybe I just chopped it up too small... soups are OK but DP isn't a soup person.

Bec - I thought of this, but don't want raw chicken / other meat to be sitting in the crock for 3 hours before it starts cooking, IYKNWIM?

Was thinking, I might try the sausage casserole next week, but when I buy the snags will cut them up and the onion, and wack them both into the freezer so they start cooking (on low) from frozen. That should buy some time...
    Last edited by Kazbah; January 19th, 2007 at 07:00 PM. Reason: missed Bec's post!

It could be that the meat was cut up too small, but I have found that cubed beef tends to be dry anyway, esp if it is very lean. I have a timer plug/switch and it maks it so much easier.

Has anyone tried cottage pie in the sc?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

No haven't tried cottage pie.

Anyone got their SC out now that the weather has cooled off a bit? I made Melinda's Chilli in there tonight but added some bacon in and it was yummo.

Debbie Lee Guest

Glad it turned out well, Bec

Curried sausages for us tomorrow night - gotta make the most of this cooler weather.

For chicken recipes I find to not chop but leave them as big as possible helps keep it less dry & if there are a few bones its better... weird I know...

I made a roast chicken the other day & it was great with salad. Going to dig out the curried sausages recipe too.

Debbie Lee Guest

The chicken is awesome with salad, hey Christy?
    We make a green salad with fetta cheese and balsamic vinegar... OMG! YUM!!!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Oh well, bloody hell, I don't blame you hun, I hope to God it's not that hot when we come up there.

Im going to try the chicken parmesan next week,sounds delish. I too have rediscovered the SC!! I have only done bolognaise in it so far this year, but plan to get back into it, starting with the chicken!! xo

OK, I know itis still BOILING outside, but, I made the most delicious soup last night. The reason for the soup, is I am helping a friend at the office lose weight, and she never ate during the day, so soup was light enough to get her eating again.

Veg Soup
    1kg punnet mixed veg (butternut, baby marrow, petti pans, carrots, baby potatoes - they're called "potjie (poy-kee) packs" here. Potjie is a stew we do in a cast iron pot over low coals.)
    1 large butternut
    about 1/2 a shredded cabbage
    2 packets Royco Minestrone (dry) soup, with water to mix per instruction
    extra water to cover the veggies.

I put this on for 6 hours on high and stirred once or twice during the cooking time.
    I mashed it roughly with a potato masher to break up the veggies, and then added 2 tins of Tomato and Onion mix, and 1 tin Baked Beans in tomato sauce. Stirred it all up. And my gosh, Yummo!!!!!
    BTW I have a 7l SC

I portion it out for meals per day and freeze it as required.
    Last edited by kimashswan; February 21st, 2007 at 10:41 PM.

What kind of liquid do you put in with the whole chicken when it's cooking? I tried to cook one in the SC once but failed. I haven't used my SC for so long, i might have to give it a dust off and try out some new receipes.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

You don't need to put any liquid in at all. Pop the chicken on some balls of foil so it doesn't sit right on the bottom or on an upside down saucer and then just turn it on.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast