Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Cooker Chatter #15

Thank you for all the ideas ladies, I am going to print out recipes for them and also get them the "Complete Idiots Guide to Slow Cookers", not to insult them LOL, just so that hopefully all the info they may need at first is there and there is a bunch of recipes in that as well.

Hi Mel,
    I got my mother-in-law the Complete Idiots Guide, and I was quite dissapointed with it, I have found a lot better advice and recipes here in this forum, and on recipezaar and the like.
    Ciao

ok, thank you for that Kim, I'm glad I haven't actually bought it yet. It's just I don't think they have the internet at home.. But I guess it's all pretty straight forward and I can try to help them with anything they need

Can anyone recommend a good SC recipe book? My mum has just bought herself a SC and I'd like to give her a recipe book for christmas. I'll be printing some recipes from here but thought a nice book would be good too.

Exclamation Help! In desperate need of ideas for SC meals!

Hi Everyone,
    I have just discovered the joy and wonder of slow cooking and need some help please! A friend of mine gave me a slow cooker (no idea what size it is but is small-ish I think) AGES ago and I just now realized how wonderful it is. I'm really wishing I had discovered how wonderful it was 9 months ago when DS was first born - or better yet, last year when I was pregnant as I could have had HEAPS more meals cooked and frozen without spending a whole day slaving over a hot stove!

ANYWAY!! I just read through the posts and I have a STACK of questions so here goes and sorry but as I mentioned I need all the help I can get as all I've cooked in the SC so far is split pea soup and an all day beef stew (my mum's recipe) and I think DH would like some different things.

Several people have mentioned the sausage casserole recipe and how wonderful it is but where can I find it? I tried to click on the link for the SC recipe thread and there was nothing there so if someone could post the sausage casserole recipe here I could just print it out or copy it down.

Someone else mentioned cooking a corned beef in their SC - now I have NO idea if my SC is big enough but how do you cook a corned beef in there? How long does it need to cook, what do you add? etc.,etc.

Fi - you mentioned you were cooking a chicken mushroom recipe and it made me drool just thinking about it so if you could send me the recipe I would be so happy!

Kimi - I copied down your Durban Curry recipe as my DH is from Bangladesh and LOVES his curries but how much lamb do you use?

Mell - LOVED your gift idea it would have been ABSOLUTELY fantastic if someone had done that for me - the practical things are SO much more appreciated!

I think I'm going to be brave and buy a whole chook when DH and I do the weekly shopping tomorrow. Currently I use the slow cooker on Monday as both DS and I are pretty tired and cranky from our busy weekends, but I think I would like to make a habit of using the SC a couple other nights a week as well.

So any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated and sorry for asking so many questions but I'm pretty hopeless at coming up with ideas on my own these days!

My friend did a marinated rolled shoulder of lamb (from Woolies) last week with a cup of stock, a few onions and carrots and some white wine. She cooked it for 11 hours on low and we had it for dinner and it was GREAT!!! The meat just melted in your mouth.

Debbie Lee Guest

Heidi - I have a 3.5ltr SC and I've cooked a silverside in it. It works really well! You just have to make sure you get a portion that's small enough to not go over the rim of the SC (you don't want it to touch the lid).

Here's the Sausage Casserole Recipe
    Sausage Casserole - Posted by Cailin

1kg sausages
    sliced onion
    can of Heinz big red tomato soup
    2tbls brown sugar
    1tbls white vinegar
    1tsp curry powder
    1tsp mustard powder

I chop up the sausages while they are part frozen (makes it easier) but they
    could be left whole. place in the crock pot.

Cover with all the other ingreds mixed together.
    I put it on auto for 5 hours but this can also be done in the oven.
    Best served with mashed potato and peas.

This is actually about to be served here tonight and its soooooooooo good, I used fat sausages but you can use different flavoured too!
    The recipe thread just loaded for me then so maybe you could give it another go?

Other popular recipes are beef and red wine, beef strog, spag bol, lamb shanks, beef/vegetable curries. Pretty much all the recipes we've posted in the other thread have been tried and tested so you can guarantee that they'll taste really nice. Don't be afraid to experiment also. You'll be a pro in no time! Oh.. and don't feel silly for asking questions. Gawd, we've all be there!!
    Last edited by Debbie Lee; November 25th, 2006 at 04:03 PM.

Debbie-Lee
    Thanks so much for the sausage casserole recipe - I will put that on the weekly menu planner for Monday night I think! I tried to load the recipe thread and when I clicked on the word HERE it came up with "no thread specified" if you have clicked on a genuine link please info an adminstrator - which I did when it wouldn't load this morning. So I don't know what is wrong.
    When you cook the silverside in your SC what else do you put in with it and how long do you cook it for? I haven't had silverside for ages and I got to thinking this afternoon that I could cook up some different kinds of meat, slice them and freeze them in small portions to use for sandwichs!
    I had a look at the cooking cache website but it is tedious to go through the recipes and although I found a few that looked nice, I am sort of afraid to try any of them for fear they will be horrible! I guess I've lost my interest or desire to experiment??? I am going to have to get brave!!

Debbie Lee Guest

Heidi - just go back to the "Recipes, Cooking and Food" section and the Slow Cooker Recipes have their own sticky. Maybe that link you are using isn't working for some reason? There's a few recipes for silverside in there but if you have trouble getting to it, I'll post them for you

Does this link work?

It works for me Deb

Debbie-Lee
    Yes, that one worked - thank you, DH, DS and I are headed out for dinner so I'll have a look at it tonight when I get home and get DS to bed. Thanks so much...

Debbie Lee Guest

No worries! I'd hate for you to not have access to our wonderful recipes!

My SC has been having a rest. I must get using it next week. Neil has been harping on about having that vegetable curry again and he also wants a creamy chicken and mushroom casserole.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I have a whole chicken in ours today and I had a sachet of honey mustard marinade so I put that over the top and rubbed it in, can't wait to see how it comes out. Thinking of using the liquid to make a gravy and serving with mashed potato and mixed vegetables.

Yum Bec, that sounds delish. Must tell us how it goes.

As for a recipe book I think a great idea would be to take the recipes from the thread & print them out & put them in a folder or I put heaps in a small bound notebook that was nice & then I went & put clear contact over each page so spills wouldn't ruin them. I did this & wrote notes in laundry marker in the sides and wrote a note in the front for a friend. That way they have tried & true recipes and things that other people really like and its heaps more personal.

Heidi
    I used about 1kg of lamb in the Durban Curry, but you can use beef or chicken as well
    Hope you have fun!

Does anyone have a tasty recipe for buffalo wings in the SC? Want to surprise DH with some.
    thanks

Debbie Lee Guest

I've got another beef strog going today. I was a bit concerned because I was feeling soooo queasy this morning. I thought "Uh-oh, here comes the m/s". Cutting up the meat wasn't much fun... but only a bit of gagging so not too bad. I feel fine now and it smells divine. Gimme another couple of weeks and I'm sure the SC will have to go away for a while.

Have you been able to get yours out again, Danni?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast