... 51314151617 ...

thread: 10wks pg with twins need some advice

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

Hi all

Quick update from me. I had another doppler scan today to check the umbilical cord flow. Tw 1 has reduced amniotic fluid again, but cord flow is normal. So they're not too concerned I don't think.

But tw 2's umbilical cord is showing increased resistance, which, as I understand it, means that the blood, oxygen and other nutrients don't reach the baby as effectively as they need to in order to ensure good growth. So the plan is for another full growth and doppler scan on Friday. If he is still growing poorly, and there is increased resistance in the cord, then I'll be having these little ones on Saturday! But if not, then they'll keep me going on daily monitoring until something else changes.

These ups and downs are doing my head in

Jenxx

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

PS - thanks Argon for answering my questions. Much appreciated

Apr 2008
    melbourne

Hi lovely ladies,

Jen - my ob speaks also about percentile and said that 10% and below is when it starts to count and there will be concern. My ob also looks as cord flow every scan and said that is another indicator so it seems we are all being watched closely for the same signs just they are wording it all differently. My little one was 20%tile if i remember correctly and the bigger in the 85th percentile but thay said it's not the difference it's concerning if the smaller one starts to taper off or fall below 10% - does that make sense?
    Wow delivery Sat possibly........ try to relax and destress as much as you can over the nextf ew days - and remember you have done a wonderful job baking these bubs to where thay are now. Take care and i will be thinking of you and can't wait to hear results on Friday.

Azza - you are making me nervous that you haven't poped in - hope everything is ok with you all.

Hi argon

Take care everyone - no updates from me had my haircut today and it feels amazing!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxBellaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Hi Ladies, I did a post yesterday but the reception here is terrible. let see if it works today.

Sunday I got some painful contrations so they had to transfer me to Womans and childrens just in case I was to go into labour they gave me a pill same as Jenc (I can't spell it) to stop the conractions I am on them all the time now. I had to stay in the delivery suit for 2days as the contraction kept coming back but I haven't had any today so hopefully they have stopped fingers crossed. OB does not like my chances in lasting to 30 weeks but I feel alot better today so am really hoping it has stopped. They also did a scan of my cervix yesterday and they said it was 1.45 cm?????? They normally do it internally but they did it a different way not sure if you cervix can stick itself back together? OB is coming in today so will ask her.

Sorry Bella for making you nervous its funny how your twins, Jenc twins and mine have small baby it must be a common thing.

Jenc on my gosh Saturday Im not sure bout you but I just want something to happen either they are goin to come or not I know im not as farlong as you but gee its such an emotional rollacoaster. I have everything crossed for you. Yah you are 33 weeks you have done great to get this far. Please keep us posted

Hi Argon whaoooo 35 weeks im finding it hard walking around at the moment how about you? and im glad there is some pink in here.

Take care ladies I will try and keep you up to date

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

Argh Azz!!! I thought something must have happened. I hope you're ok. The nifedipine has been keeping my contracs under control, so I hope they do the same for you. Sending you lots of 'keep cooking' vibes!!!

The most accurate way to check cervix length is transvaginally. If this other number came up and it was an external scan then I would think it wouldn't be particularly accurate. That's what my dr said anyhow. I'm not sure if it can lengthen once it's shortened. Sounds pretty impossible!! But then again, this whole twin preg thing is so random that you never know!!

Are you getting any side-effects from the nifedipine? I got headaches, a red rash, and really itchy. So they changed me to the 'slow release' version, and it has made things SO much better.

I spoke to my ob today, and the plan of attack is that assuming Friday's scan doesn't show a dramatic change in the umbilical cord thing which would mean delivery on Friday or Sat, I am booked in for Wednesday next week!!!!!! So my little boys will probably be born on 09/09/09! How funny

He explained that when there is resistance in the umbilical cord is it usually because of some fibrous build-up. He said the impact of that is like when you step on a hose. The pressure builds up behind the obstruction, and the water can't flow through as well. So it is very unlikely to 'fix itself' like I was hoping He said it only worsens. But it shouldn't be a super dramatic worsening, as in general it is a steady rate and reasonably slow. But once they notice it, it is best to get the babies out as soon as they are ok to come out as they can fatten them up better on the outside if their nutrition source is compromised inside.

So, assuming Friday doesn't show any major drastic changes for the worse, then this time next week I will be a mama!! And the boys will be 34+1 wks. Which is just great. I will feel so proud to have held onto them for that long.

Bella, I'm so jeally of your haircut. I have an appt booked for friday for cut and colour - I thought it would just in time for shower, looking good for new baby photos etc, and now I'm going to have to be skanky mama!!! oh well, I suppose it's just a little thing in the end

Hi Argon! Hi everyone else. Hope you're all well.

Jenxx

Mar 2009

HI guys,

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. Hope things are going ok for you Azz, and that the drugs are keeping things under control. I think you guys are amazing, keeping so calm when you're stuck in hospital!

Are you still planning to move house? How's that all going? Me and hubby are in a townhouse too, with three levels (and garage underneath so really it's like four!) so lots of stairs!! We didn't anticipate twins when we bought it but we've moved our bedroom down from the top level and are now treating it like a two story place for the most part, just living on the bottom two levels. I'm actually walking ok still which I didn't expect to be this late in the piece and I sometimes wonder whether all the steps I've been forced to climb have helped keep me mobile!

Jen, very exciting, you'll be meeting your boys soon! 9/9/9 is a pretty cool date. I have a friend booked in for a ceasar on the same day. And 34+1 is fab - well done!

Hi Bella!

Argon xx

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Jenc what a cool birth date Im so happy for you, you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Im on the slow release nifedipine now I didn't get the side effects with the other stuff but I was only on it for 2 days. Now how are you going to name your babies have you decided which one is going to get the first name. I have decided the big one will have the name I have chosen and the little one will have the name my DH has chosen

I was thinking the samething about my cervix, its annoying that they didn't think that the measurements unusual.

Argon we have decided to extend our lease for 6 months which is a relief that is one less thing we don't have to worry about for now. That is a good Idea moving your bedroom I only have to walk up 1 level I can't imagine 3 OMG.

AFM I feel really good today had no tightenings which is the first day. I had really bad diarrhea lastnight and this morning not sure what that was all about The boys are moving around alot which feels really weird I can make out what part of body it is but its hard to feel the the little one as he is lying across the lower part of my tummy I can feel him moving and hiccuping so cute.

Apr 2008
    melbourne

Just jumping on very very quickly to say Jen i have been thinking of you today - i hope your scan went well and i look forward to hearing if your bubs are going to arrive tom or hang on a little longer!! Either way good luck and i will be saying lots of for you.

Hi azza and argon.

I'll bbl to check in just on my way out the door!

xxBella

Mar 2009

Hi guys,

Well, I've joined the hospital mummies! Nothing too dramatic. My blood pressure is up and my blood platelets are low and I have small amounts of protein in my urine. So the concern is obviously pre-eclampsia. I'm really here for monitoring more than anything else - regular blood pressure and protein checks. I'm far enough along now that my ob will deliver if symptoms start developing any more than they have already. I'll see her today but she was talking about a Tuesday afternoon induction so if that happens It'll likely be Wednesday by the time my girls come - I may also end up with 9/9/9!

Otherwise, if things are looking good today she is talking about the 16th.

I'm not too worried. The girls are at good weights (2.14kg and 2.44kg) and they are giving me steroids yesterday and today for their lungs. So we should be fine, fingers crossed.

Hope you guys are well. I am wondering if Jen might be having her boys today!? I'm sending lots of good luck vibes out!!

Argon x

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

Ooooh Argon welcome to the hossy club I hope everything behaves itself but like you say if they ave to come now its pretty safe Whaooo imagine you and Jen having your babies on the same day. Good luck with everyhtng please let us know how everything is going.

Jen I hope everything is going great with you.

Hi miss Bella you are making me jealous you sound like you are so busy doing stuff how is your DH going over in thailand. Hope you are relaxing dont join us in the hossy club.

AFM I have had no tightenings in since Tuesday so I think they have gone for now my OB is so happy I have make it to 29 weeks she said she might let me go home depending on my scan on Monday I obviously will have to do everything I am doing in hossy at home which is not a problem as I dont want to end up back here until I have my babies so cross all you fingers and toes for me.

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

Hello ladies!!!

Argon! Hope you're ok. I can't believe 3 of us are in hosp.!!! Bella, you need to keep the faith on the outside!! I'm sure ALL twin pregs end up like this..!!! How funny if we have our babies on the same day!!!!!!!! Thinking of you lots and lots...

Azz - will they really let you go home with a short cervix??? Now, you listen to me (can you tell that's my 'mum voice'), IF you go home, you HAVE TO REST. You will be so tempted to move around - even just a teeny tiny bit - and you have to keep these babies baking a bit longer. I totally understand how desperate you are to get home, so you have to promise us that you will STAY IN BED if you do go home.

Well, my news is that the boys will be arriving on Wed. My results were a bit worse, but not bad enough to need an emergency delivery, thank goodness!!!

ANyhow, ladies, very tired today, will check in again tomorrow.

Jenxx

Mar 2009

Hey,

That's great news Azz that they are thinking about letting you go home. You must be so sick of the hospital! Although, I'm with Jen, you need to be very very good! I'm glad you postponed moving house = it would have been hard no to get involved.

Glad to hear you're doing well enough Jen that they'll hold off until Wednesday. Enjoy your final few days baking! I can't quite believe I'll have children by this time next week but it seems pretty certain!!

Hi Bella. Hope you and your bubs are doing well. Is hubby still away? Hope you are being spoilt by your family and friends!

Take care everyone. xx

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

argh - just re-read my post. Bella, I meant to say I'm sure NOT ALL twin pregs end up like this

Mar 2009

That's funny Jen. Oops!

I was just saying to my hubby last week after I caught up on all of your posts from the last few months how I felt really lucky. That there were two women on this forum in hospital and I was lucky enough to be at home and well at 35 weeks. And he said to me that it was good when people in a mixture of situations post to forums because then other people who read the forum won't think that hospital time is inevitable in twin pregnancies. And then two days later, I end up in hospital too!!

But it's true. There are so many different ways these things can progress. I've spoken to a lot of twin mums since falling pregnant, and some have ended up in hospital early, but many went to 37, 38, 39 weeks and then went into labour spontaneously, with no major problems. Look at Kezza who delivered her twins naturally in 5 hours or something without drugs!!

But the important thing is obviously getting our little ones out as safely as possible!

Jun 2008
    Adelaide

Smile

YES MUMMIES I will behave, if I can go home that is. You girls make me laugh.

I agree with you argon I have spoken to a couple of twin mummies and they all have different stories but I guess that is the same with singleton pregnancies as well.

The twin co ordinator came in to say hello she also had twins she made it to 35 weeks and had boys I also go to watch a video of twin mums and there deliveries boy wasn't that an eye opener it showed c sections and natrual deliveries it showed everything, but it was good to see as I have no idea about c sections. A midwife came in and spoke to me about breastfeeding which was really nice it feels like I have had a mini antinatal leason.

Jen whaoo so Wednesday fantastic I can't believe its so close now. Do you know if there is away where we can post our babies photos as I would love to see your little bubs well all of our little twins. I feel we have been going through so much together it would be lovely to see them.

Hi Bella what you up to today, my link to the outside world

Jan 2009

Family friends daughter had full term twins, one natural delivery then c section for no. 2. and a member of my church had twin boys to 37weeks c section delivery (planned). So yes, it is very possible.
    You go all you girls!

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

Yay! thanks ausgirl. you listening Bella! that's going to be you!! All the way to the end

Good luck for today argon. Thinking of you and your induction. Hope all goes smoothly. And I hope your little ones are born safe and sound.

I have managed to pull a muscle in my neck while lying here doing nothing. tell me, how on earth is that even possible!! ridiculous. I have been having to take valium to relax is as nothing else has even touched the sides and I haven't slept more than an hour or two at a time for the past 3 days. I just want it to go away so that I can hold my babies without pain!! Prob going to get a physio massage today, so that should help.

I am going to be a mama in just over 24 hours!!!!!!!!!!! I''m booked in for 8.30am tomorrow. I just can't believe the time is nearly here.

Thank you so much ladies for your friendship and support. This has been such a fantastic space. I will be thinking of you, and next time I check in I will have two little boys. I will see if I can work out how to do photos.

My big baby - twin 1 - head down at the bottom is Hamish. I can just tell from his little personality. He's quite 'pow pow pow' in there, and I've always imagined Hamish as the real boys boy! and my little one is Lachlan - he's a bit more gentle and slow moving - a bit more languid I think. But we'll see if that's how they end up Only time will tell.

I had my baby shower here at the hosp on saturday. It was so so lovely. my mum, sisters and MIL did such a beautiful job of keeping it all colour-coordinated for me (they know I'm a bit mental like that!!), so the whole thing was themed duck egg blue, silver and white - right down to the ribbons tied to the stems of the champagne flutes and the icing on the cupcakes!! Bless them. And I was so fortunate to receive the most amazing presents. My girlfriends are a very special bunch

Well, ladies, thinking of you always, and I'll be back soon to check in and let you all know how it went. If I can't figure out how to put photos here, then I'll send you a link to my blog. It's just a way I've been keeping track of my pregnancy and the things i love. I haven't gone into any detail of the IVF business as I didn't want randoms knowing all that detail. DH and I have agreed that only our parents know and we want to keep it that way. So you won't see anything about that particular journey there, but you will see some pretty photos and some letters from me to my boys.

Love you all!

Jenxx

Jan 2009

All the best for the delivery Jen, prayers ascending.

... 51314151617 ...