Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 Month to 6 Months, December '04

spiddles Guest

What a week!!.....ugh (see the punching bag)

Looks like so much has been happening in here!!

Good to hear Matilda is sleeping better for you Christy!! Liam was up at 5 again. Went to sleep at 8. So was happy he is sleeping longer. I gave him a feed and went back to bed as DH and I were buggered. Only had 3 hours sleep the night b4 because of my nephew. Wouldnt go to sleep and wanted to sleep in the same room as me and Liam at my parents and talked all night til about 2 am!! He is only 6 but was over stimulated (we did puzzles and read stories) and was on a high. DH and I are usually up b4 the alarm but not this morning and went off and scared the poor little thing OOps!!

I hope the new meds will do the trick for Alana Lara.
    It must be very frustrating at times but am sure it will all pan out soon.

Liam is starting to also get very active like Ryley. His new trick is you clap your hands and say up and he will put his arms out the best he can and pull his bum off the floor and pull him up into a sitting position and just sit there and smiles. He is also using his feet when on his back to push his bum up off the floor or lifts his bum off the ground and swings from side to side trying to roll. He seems to be drinking alot more now and his gums arent giving him as much greif as a few days ago so not sure if teething.My neice is 14 months and still has no teeth!!!

Sorry for those who I have missed. Try and have a great day everyone!!

Pietta Guest

Wow 14 months old! Is that normal?
    Sounds cute Liams little movements- arent they beautiful.
    Yay for Matilda sleeping better Christy- and thanks i think he is cute too!!

Hi all

Took Grace for her checkup today, she weighs 5010gm and is 57 cm long so is growing nicely. I suspected she was around the 5 kg mark as she feels quite heavy when I hold her. I asked the nurse about the pneumococcal vaccine and she said Grace will have it at 4, 6 and 8 months. She also told me that the new recommendation with bottle fed bubs is you don't have to sterilise their bottles - as long as they are washed in hot soapy water and rinsed well, they are ok. I don't know about that, though. For some reason I just feel better about sterilising. Maybe I am just set in my ways!

Michelle - you have such beautiful girls, they have lovely smiles. Jemma is pretty much the same age as Harry, he was born 11 January 2003

Iris I hope the medication works out for Alana. It must be hard at times but you sound like you are staying positive which is great.

I cannot believe the humidity at the moment. It's funny, I have lived in queensland my whole life you'd think I would be used to it!

Anyway gotta go check on bubs

Bon

Hi all

Pee your little Ryley certainly isn't little, Yay for him being so healthy and happy.

Bon Grace is almost Jessicas weight, Jessica was 5380 last weigh in at 3 months. And yes Jemma is almost the same age as your Harry. Thank you for the compliments to my girls, I agree of course but I am so biased it's not funny.

I am going to try get around to visit my gf who had her bub by ceaser a week and a half ago. I haven't visited yet, as she was pretty bad, lost a heap of blood and had to be transferred to another hospital while her bubs stayed at the original hospital, so I have waited till she may be feeling a little better before dragging the tribe over to see the baby.

Arron is flat out working as xmas is his busiest time with everybody wanting clean carpets for xmas, so I am doing the lone mum thing and boy am I tired.

Hope everyone is ready for xmas, it's coming like a freight train, Mum is picking up[ 2 laybys for me today which is great as with Arron working so much I am going to have trouble getting anywhere without watchful eyes.

Anyway have a great day everyone.
    Best wishes michelle

Hey Bon

I stopped sterialising Lachlans bottles when he was 7mths old. My theory is once they are on the floor and putting everything into their mouths then there really isn't much point. I do what the nurse said to you. Wash in boiling hot soapy water and rinse out in hot tap water, but I would still be sterialising for newborns etc.

Love

I agree with Kathryn Bon,
    although I do sterilise until my babies are 1, just makes me feel better, although I never sterilise dummies so go figure! LOL, sort of defeats the purpose.

MY SIL never really sterilised and my niece was always sick with something or another, so it may have had something to do with it or could be coincidental, It's hard to work out.

I sort of think that my microwave sterilisser takes 8mins which isn't long and it makes me feel like I am doing the right thing.

Cheers Michelle

We have good friends who are midwives who now tell mums not to sterilise. BUT even saying that I did until this week!! YAY!! As it made me feel better lol... now I'll still used cooled boiled water to make up the formula, but I won't sterilse anymore... ahhhhh.... gotta love it!

Speaking of in a few days Matilda will be 6 months!! WOW!!! so we are celebrating the milestone but getting rid of the microwave steriliser.... LMAO!

mooshie Guest

hi there everyone
    i haven't logged on for a few days and am having trouble catching up with messages so no personals for me today (also in the middle of housework) just hope you are all doing nicely and the bubs are going well.

the lovely lani is 3mths today (boo hoo) i took her to health centre and she has put on 640gms in 4wks - not a lot but fantastic for her. i mentioned to the nurse that everyone says she is little for 3mths and the nurse said just turn around and tell them you only feed her water cause you want her to stay little baby forever lol (she is a great nurse) she reasured me lani is fine and she looks little cause she has a petite little face, she is over the 50 percentile in her height and just under the 50 percentile for her weight (which apparently is typical for breastfed babies). she now weighs 5250gms 60cm height and 39cm head so all nice and in proportion she sleeps well extremely well and is so settled now she has really slotted in to our little family. she sleeps solidly from 8pm to between 6 and 7am which is great and sleeps well during the day, still in cot during the day and bassinet and night.

went out with girlfriends last night and saw the bridget jones movie it was good to get out without a pram lol the movie was ok but not as good as the first, it did have a few funny scenes tho.

take care and good luck those still shopping for christmas

Opps forgot to say I weighed Matilda today and she is 8.3kg still!!! I weighed her in the chemist two weeks ago and she was the same weight :-k , she was off her food for a few days there and now is starting to crawl so I won't worry about it yet... seeing as she's getting vaccinated on Monday so another thing to talk with Doc about O

Michelle I get people also saying about how small Alana is for her age. I try not to let it bother me, but sometimes I can't help but get annoyed. I think Lani is doing fine, considering that Alana is only 11 days younger and weighs 4385g. I was told at Maternal Health that anything between 150-210g weight gain per week is normal.

I agree with Kathryn in regards to sterilising. Definitely should be done for the newborns. My GF also stopped sterilising once Chloe was moving around on the floor. I sterlise everything of Alana's. I must admit though, I can't wait until the day I stop. I know it doesn't take long, but sometimes I just can't be bothered!!

Anyway so far the Zantac has not helped Alana. Her poo still looks the same and her DR said that I should see a difference within a couple of days. We will see how she goes in the next couple days, but I suspect that we will be changing her meds to the stronger one. I hope we sort this out soon, obviously for Alana, but also because her poo's really stink!!LOL!!!

Oh by the way I have ordered the new recycle bin for disposable nappies yesterday. Its only $3.80 per week. I thought that was pretty cheap.

Marcia Guest

:-k interesting about the not having to sterilize bottles. We do sterilize Hudsons bottles and use boiled water to make them up, but IKWYM about not feeling like it sometimes even though it is quick lol! Maybe we will stop in a couple of months time anyway because right now everything is going in his mouth and most of it has been on the floor because he drops everything anyway.

Re weight, people seem to comment on baby weights all the time but actually have no idea anyway, so I don't even bother listening to them. Heaps of people have asked Hudsons age and then said, oh he is big for his age isn't he? Actually he is in the bottom 10 percent and has been since birth, but it doesn't stop people thinking they know what they are talking about lol! I just usually say, 'no actually he is small for his age, but he is doing fine thankyou.' and that shuts them up.

We are having a fun time here with Hudson atm. He is so grizzly all day every day. He is still constipated the poor little man, regardless of us trying water and brown sugar, water and prune juice, and just plain water, so I think we are just going to have to put him back onto regular formula and put up with the reflux #-o. Not much fun either way really but I think the constipation is potentially more harmful than the reflux. I still can't decide if he is teething either. Tried some bonjela on his gums today, but no reaction except to screw up his little face at the taste and then go on grizzling lol!

oh Marcia how frustrating!! I used to get so upset when Matilda had "bad" days.... I just figure that it is her & I have grumpy days too so I just would struggle through the day and hope that its only a day and not a week...lol... I hope its Hudson's day!!! btw I tried to lower Matilda's dose for her meds & she got super grizzly so I've put her back on... I feel for you!! if she got constipated I would be so frustrated!! but now she's ok on the formula...

that's interesting re. the sterilising.. I sometimes do wonder whether it really is necessary (I mean, I don't use bottles so far so ... ) I just wonder cause bubs sucks on my hands sometimes or face or whatever and I'm thinking what is dirtier than my hands? Sure, I wash my hands but you know, you always touch something - be it a glass of water or right now the keyboard and wham you have germs on your hands. Surely washing them in hot soapy water and rinsing them with hot water afterwards is just as good as sterilising them?

Wolf has been sooooooooo grizzly today. He has had a few screaming fits which is something entirely new. He was inconsolable for ... I don't know.. it felt like an eternity but it probably was more like half an hour. We tried to go for a walk but he was screaming bloody murder and I felt like everyone in the park was staring at me. Stopped for a bit and DH picked up Wolf and held him into the sun. He squinted, stopped crying we put him back in the pram and he was fast asleep a second later... how bizarre!

Snowy

Matilda turns 6 months tomorrow!!!! WOW... I'll come back & visit, I promise!! LOL!

Pietta Guest

Just a quickie-
    Poor thing Marcia I hope Hudson's poor belly sorts itself out. It must be terrible for you both.
    Make sure you do come to visit Christy!!
    With regard to sterilising I am going to until he is 12 months (i say that now though... ) just because i want to give him the best immune system i can and i thinkhe will have enough bugs on the floor without me adding to them. But hey i might change soon enough!!

spiddles Guest

I'm not sure iif it is normal for her not to be teething still at 14 months Pee. She only started crawling on her first birthday and her brother was crawling at 6 months and walking by 9 so who knows.

Not much new really to report but Liam has gone off his food again. I rhink he managed to have about 400mls yesterday and had a few sucks on boob but only for about 5 mins at a time but he seems happy and is awake and alert and is sleeping better of a night which is good. No more wakling up 2 times a night YAY!!. Went to sleep at 9 last night and was back up at 5:30 so cant complain.

RE: Sterilising...I think I read in a book that it is best to do it until they are 6 months then it really doesnt matter. My SIL still does it now and her daughter is 14 months. I agree with you on the strilising issue Pee.

We are gonna miss you Christy!! Make sure you come back and visit!!

Hope everyone is well!!

Marcia Guest

Well it is a grizzly day again today for Hudson. Luckily it's not complete howling, just that constant whinging noise, so I really feel for you Snowy. I found the screaming much harder too when Hudson was really little like Wolf is, as it's so hard to know what is wrong, and their cry is so desperate IYKWIM. Sounds like you are coping with it really well though.

Spiddles - Hudson is still being strange with his feeds too. sometimes he will finish a 200ml bottle and other times he will refuse to drink after about 60 mls.Like you i just figure that he seems healthy enough so he should be ok?

I have just been down the road to the chemist this morning to get some regular formula, as DH and I have decided that his tummy just obviously isn't coping with the thickening agent and doesn't look like it will improve. Hudson has actually stared vomiting again anyway over the last few days, so it isn't doing the job atm anyway. It's a shame, as it did work for a little while, but the constipation is just too much for him. Poor little boy, I hope he starts to grow out of it soon. Dr told us they grow out of reflux between 4 and 6 months, but sounds like that might not be the case if Matilda is still suffering from it too?

Bit angry with DH today, so just have to have a little whinge. He doesn't seem to understand how important it is for Hudson to keep his routine. By no means am I obsessive about it, but I do like to to keep the feed, play, sleep thing happening, as I have noticed that when we don't he seems to get very confused and ends up not knowing day from night. DH has been home for the last few days and I have been taking a back seat and he has been doing most of the feeding and putting to bed. Anyway, as much as I try to tell him he just keeps putting Hudson to bed soon after his feed because he seems sleepy. The problem with this is that he sleeps for maybe 15 minutes, wakes up and then grizzles for the next hour or two in between napping because he is so used to feeding when he wakes up that he doesn't know what he wants lol! We ended up having an argument about it at 5am this morning because I kept having to re-settle Hudson all night, because he had slept so much during the day, and not played enough to tire him out IMO. I don't want to make DH feel like I think he is incompitent at looking after Hudson, but I just wish he could try keeping the routine and see the difference it makes.
    OK, enough complaining, I just had to get that out lol.
    Hope you are all going well.

mooshie Guest

hi there everyone

wow christy - matilda 6mths it only seems like yesterday i was logging on to see if you had the baby, do make sure you come and visit us, and yay for matilda crawling, although i prefer walking cause when they crawl they get filthy and it is a pain outside as they pick up everything and into the mouth but it is cute to see them scooting around after being stuck on their backs so long.

sterilising - my aunty used to say after my firstborn when you have your first baby you sterilise the dummy every day, with number 2 maybe every week and with number 3 you just pop it in your mouth lol, i sterilise lani's dummy if it is new then that seems to be it.

lara - looks like alana is doing well considering but hopefully you can work something out for her soon that agrees with those poos. i do hate those comments about weight etc and as my health nurse said yesterday, nobody seems to comment on other things like hair, or lovely eyes etc it is all about the weight ahh ](*,) i will choose to ignore it as lani is doing well and i was hoping she would put on over 600gms in 4wks and she did the little trooper, seeing as she only feeds for 5mins max 10mins and more often than not one boob.

marie - hope hudson gets better with the consitpation, i know he is too little for solids but apparently pears are excellent or apple before bed, for constipation maybe see if it would be ok to give him some pureed - check with health nurse.

snowy - sounds like you are doing well - a crying baby (screaming baby yup) we all have those days and popping them in the pram and going for a walk seems to make it a bit better - lani used to scream in the car every time (stopped a couple of weeks ago thankfully) and i used to just have to drive and ignore it.

lets see who else ahh i can't go back far enough sorry

hope eveyone is doing fine

see ya

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast