Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born April 2006 #16

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Yaaaaayyy Congrats Abs!

OMG.. Jac.. i cant believe he got out of his cot....

Alexa screams blue murder in her cot.. but i a bit worried about taking the side off her cot.. just incase the little toad falls out!!!.. any suggestions?????

were is everyone??????

No ideas about the cot thing - i wouldn't bve able to take the side of mine - charlie would be out in a second!

abs Guest

Hi ladies

Boy am I in twouble

Sorry for leaving it to the last minute, but well, we were normally only away from the apartment for 3 or 4 hours a day - very hard going away on hols etc when someone is ruling your timetable. The web access there was timed too, you pay for 2 hours at a time, billed per minute, so I never logged in on my pc. Jen only logged in for her work (which was more than she hoped for)

Anyway, um not really gonna reply to things that happened to others, other than yikes re those falling off changetables - Jordy does a twist and can be on his tum within moments - and sometimes half off table - but thats as far as he's gotten so far. And climbing out of cot, thank god the top is only at Jordy's shoulders and we can lower the slats down a couple of inches yet. Hope you manage to keep bubs in. Jac?? I thought pillows werent recommended for some time yet ??

And so glad to hear its not Chicken Pox - thats good news

Now: So there we were in Maitland, all settled in and Jen left something behind so wandered off to go get something from a food shop - meant I was alone FINALLY... I ring Jen's parents house and get her mum.

Hi Maureen, blah blah blah, we're on hols in Maitland blah blah blah, can I speak to David for a sec. Jen's dad is not all there much anymore, parkinsons and p-related dementia has settled into place, but I ask anyway. I tell him we're up in the Hunter Valley for a few days and whilst here I plan on proposing to Jen, are you okay with that ?

Dont think it sunk in the first time, so I had to repeat it (thank goodness Jen isn't about coz she hears everything going on) I repeat the question and can hear him perk up a bit. He sounded a little excited and very happy :biggrin: I also said NOT to tell anyone... this is a secret/surprise. Here's where the dementia might come in handy

FF to saturday, we go out for a few hours but whilst driving through the streets I dont see a single florist nearby - hmm, this might be hard to organise - argghh. Sunday, same thing - Jordy was a bit of hard work, so no chance to really organise anything. Oh we spend the evening putting the Naming Day invites etc into envelopes. Now its Monday and the day flies by - the invites are posted, and now its evening. I was kinda wanting to wait til they were posted as its now too late for them to be changed

We go to bed after watching that 1vs100 dribble, and she is REALLY tired, but I'm wide awake. She falls asleep for a few minutes and I'm lying next to her, just watching. Jordy stirs a bit and she wakes... asks what I'm doing. Normally I'd be the one falling sleep, or reading my book etc

So I swallow my nervousness and start talking about Jordy's naming day. I eventually get around to mentioning that I'd been in contact with the celebrant about doing something extra for the "ceremony" and it was he who SMS'd me a few days prior... I'd said she'd find out who it was over the weekend, which as far as we were concerned last night it still was.

Her interest is sparked in what I am waffling on about so I say that I'd asked Michael if he could fit in time to marry us - you and me, husband and wife, us married. That was it... done. She sat up going OMG !! I was lying on my side, so technically I was on one knee, the other was not touching the surface of the mattress (this was pointed out a little later)

I get called all the naughty names under the sun... the invites are posted, what about so and so, we took them off the list before posting the invites etc. I said additional invites can still be posted.

She has very particular tastes in rings, prefers them wide, maybe 1cm? in width. A very good friend of hers and she used to swap a particular ring (that had a red ruby? on it) until Jen bought her a duplicate for Nic's birthday - was given to her before Xmas, birthday was last week. Took about 5 weeks to be made

I said we can go there and get something designed, with something of the diamond variety on it (more like several, not just one) - and it's a combined engagement/wedding ring. A friend of Jen's recently eloped in NZ and did something similar for Megs ring.

Anyway, still in twouble tonight. But whilst driving back today, she spoke with the manager of the club we are having it at to suss out how many people can be fitted in. We might have to "tell" a few people to ensure they come, as well as get a few more family members of mine up from Melbourne. Eg one brother was going to just bring his daughter... His son came up in October for my birthday as a surprise. But it'd be nice if all four came. Also need to suss out the situation with my other brother (who has a wife and three kids)

From the list of original people invited we can fit in another 20 or 30 people (so about 120-130 all up), and she thinks her parents will cover the cost - though that might be after the event

Umm, there you go. 7 weeks 4 days and about 13 1/4 hrs before the fun begins (11.20 on Mar 25) - might be out an hour if Daylight Savings finishes that morning

Now, how well can the secret be kept - stay tuned. The look on various peoples faces when we say something along the lines of "now that the naming ceremony is finished, we have a little surprise planned". Jen came up with the perfect quote to put on the cake "Welcoming another Bassett-Smith into the family"... Well Jordy is officially a B-S as his birth certificate is that, others will think it refers to him, when its actually for her.

She wanted to know about her name - I said I know plenty of women who professionally keep their maiden name, but otherwise change it etc etc. She seemed okay with that

So, OMG - I'm gonna get married !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KelliC Guest

CONGRATULATIONS ABS, JEN and JORDY.WooHoo...How exciting!

CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm so excited for you both!

I got goosebumps reading your story...hehe, I'm such a sucker for romance.

Lots and lots of wishes for a fantastic day. (And 2 days before Janae's birthday too )

Bel, Mark, Josiah & Janae

Firstly ABS JEN JORDY HUGE CONGRATULATIONS AND HUGS AND KISSES ALREADY HOW EXCITTING!

Also I was wondering has anyone kept their pregnancy magazines and things like that they bought whilst pregnant I leant mine to a friends and she chucked them thinking I didn't want them back and my cousins are pregnant and was wondering if I knew anyone who had some that want to get rid of them Id be happy to pay for post if anyone wants to get rid of them! [email protected] for anyone who does

congratulations Abs!! loved reading your story, Now the fun begins! How exciting!

Abs - Love your story!!!! It is great! can't wait to see photo's of the big day!

Pillows- I asked the health nurse about and she said it was fine - it is a really thing pillow and he snuggles into heaps - won't sleep without one now they say between 9 and 12 months is fine.

abs Guest

hmm, photo's - now thats gonna be fun... going to have to look into that :eek:

And cool on the pillows - Charlie is probably bigger than quite a few 1yr olds anyway

Thanks for the kind words about my story everyone, sorry for the length

One of the things we did whilst away was go to the Hunter Valley Zoo. The current owners have only had it 5 months - still run down, previous owners had it for 18 months and let it get worse... Still, the new folks have big plans with lots of work to be done.

Jordy loved some of the animals, quite happy with the ducks, but got scared with the geese and very agitated with the sheep and goats... more so when he was down at their level (in pram, or "standing") vs in my arms - have 2 photo's with the ducks, so will upload those at some stage. Most of the time it was really hot, so other than a "picnic" at Dungog in a park, where it was like 40degC and blowing a gale, not much time was spent outside. We did also stop in Morphett and look at some of the shops there... Got a cute bunny in a hat hand puppet thing that you stick your hand into to make the bunny appear, oh and stopped at a Lavender Farm - he charmed the ladies there too

What a fantastic story Abs!!

jacci - thanks for the info on pillows, i thought they couldn't have one til they were 2, its good toknow they can have one sooner if they like. have you worked out how to stop him getting out of the cot? Friend of mine has a 10 months old who started to scream everytime they put him in the cot, so she just put him in a single bed and they haven't had a problem since. He has fallen out a couple of times but its not very high and they have pillows on the floor in case. Something to think about anyway.

Archie had his pic in the local newspaper today, they do a thing every year for the babies born in the prvious year, you get to submit a photo and a little message, will have to put it in the baby book before i lose it.

Congrats Abs!! Best wishes to you and Jen and lil' Jordy

Sooz Timbo & Amber

oh awesome Elissa! something nice to keep for Archie!

pillow- im a bit silly i put it in Nixon's bed in his day time sleeps but not in his night time sleep? Its also a very thin one.

Nickers - thats how i started - I was scared he would suffocate at night - but then it got to the stage were he wouldn't sleep without it.

Is it Declan's turn for Happy 10months today?
    Oh and Happy 9months to Olivia for yesterday

Happy monthly birthday months to all the bubbas...

Alexa is 11 months today ... OMG!!!!!! that means it is her 1st birthday in a month... arghhhhhhh

abs Guest

Yikes from here too Mitch, but congrats too. Amazing how time has flown by

Happy 10 for Declan yesterday and 9 for Olivia the day before... We should have a list somewhere of who was on what day - damn that list being dropped from the start of the thread

Abs - CONGRATULATIONS and best wishes, I hope you have a wonderful day and that it is all that you hope it to be!! Make sure you take lots of pictures, we want to see!!!

Jacci - I can'ty believe Charlie escaped, Tyron struggles standing up, must be the fact that he is too heavy, he can hardly support his own weight!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to all the babies, I can't believe we are organising first birthday parties already, seems like yesterday that they were born. I tell you 9 months of baby goes much quicker than 9 months of pregnancy!!!

Hi to everyone else, I hope you are all having a great week!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast