Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born April 2008 #3

Morning all!
    Well, I know its cause of the needles and the dose of panadol as a result of a temp, but my little fella went 9 hours last night...
    We popped him into bed at 10pm, and at 7:10 I woke with a start and thought something was horribly wrong, but right on que a little noise form next door made me relax!

He had a big feed (I'd had to pump 300ml out first because I would have drowned him!), and was back into bed at 8:15.

His routine prior to his festy weekend, and his needles used to be:
    Feed 6am ish straight back to bed
    Sleep from 6.30 to 9am
    Play till 10am
    Feed 10am
    Play til about 11 or 11:30
    Sleep til about 1:30
    Play till 2pm
    Feed 2pm
    Play (or muck around in bed!) til about 3:30 or 4
    Sleep til 6 (woken up by 6:30)
    Feed 6pm
    Bath about 7pm
    Feed (just a top up) about 7:30 if not totally ready for bed

I used to go in for a sneaky feed at about 10pm, but found it made no difference overnight, he would still wake about 2am anyway, whether he had it or not!

Before his festy weekend he'd changed a bit and would sleep from 8pm til about 3:30am, then either resettle until 5:30, or feed, then sleep through til about 8.
    Then I would feed at 8ish, and then top up at 10, then he would go 4 hourly at 2 and 6.

mgm, we carry him through his naps, cos sometimes we go shopping etc, or just keep busy so napping in a bed isn't convenient. Jungle baby is keeping me fit! But sometimes I really want a break and in those times it's best I give him to DH as he can put him to sleep (or keep him asleep) without the sling, just on his chest and then he is easily transferred to the couch (we don't have any baby gear like cots). But he doesn't last as long at all usually. I use the sling and bounce on the fit ball (to see it in action, see video on my blog - sitting at computer on fitball just like I am now. I was pregnant and in labour at the time though but it seems my pregnant use of the fit ball triggered him, he now is put to sleep in 10 minutes flat on this thing!). But at bedtime, I usually have arsenic hour, so I go and sit on the rocking chair while he wails his woeful tale at me for a while, and I occasionally offer a finger to suck or a boob but he usually rejects it all in preference for a cry. When he's worn himself out, but still crying, I hand him to DH who has the magic touch. I PREFER to boob him to sleep on the bed or in the rocking chair, but with this colic/arsenic hour bullcarp, I have to wait it out, about 3 months they stop with that nonsense. Then I'll just boob him to sleep in my bed and sneak away. DH holds him in his lap all night, until midnight or so, so I can sleep. This allows him to resettle easily and comforts Ci. DH brings him to me at his post-midnight feed and he just stays asleep dreamfeeding all night. If he was a bottle baby or in a cot, I know for sure he would be a nightmare, I don't know what I'd offer him through the night to keep him down!

in a nutshell, if desperate, we use the fitball and bounce with him. I find it too hard to get out of the HAB sling without waking him.

Haven't had time to read other posts yet...

mgm, we carry him through his naps, cos sometimes we go shopping etc, or just keep busy so napping in a bed isn't convenient. Jungle baby is keeping me fit! But sometimes I really want a break and in those times it's best I give him to DH as he can put him to sleep (or keep him asleep) without the sling, just on his chest and then he is easily transferred to the couch (we don't have any baby gear like cots). But he doesn't last as long at all usually. I use the sling and bounce on the fit ball (to see it in action, see video on my blog - sitting at computer on fitball just like I am now. I was pregnant and in labour at the time though but it seems my pregnant use of the fit ball triggered him, he now is put to sleep in 10 minutes flat on this thing!). But at bedtime, I usually have arsenic hour, so I go and sit on the rocking chair while he wails his woeful tale at me for a while, and I occasionally offer a finger to suck or a boob but he usually rejects it all in preference for a cry. When he's worn himself out, but still crying, I hand him to DH who has the magic touch. I PREFER to boob him to sleep on the bed or in the rocking chair, but with this colic/arsenic hour bullcarp, I have to wait it out, about 3 months they stop with that nonsense. Then I'll just boob him to sleep in my bed and sneak away. DH holds him in his lap all night, until midnight or so, so I can sleep. This allows him to resettle easily and comforts Ci. DH brings him to me at his post-midnight feed and he just stays asleep dreamfeeding all night. If he was a bottle baby or in a cot, I know for sure he would be a nightmare, I don't know what I'd offer him through the night to keep him down!

in a nutshell, if desperate, we use the fitball and bounce with him. I find it too hard to get out of the HAB sling without waking him.

Haven't had time to read other posts yet...

good morning mothers and babies!

wow, babywrangler, you must feel well-rested!

fire we basically do much the same thing - i carry dd whenever she gets tired and throughout her naps (so walking down the road to do the shopping is easy, but getting round in the car is a more difficult proposition). i agree the major problem with the HAB is the difficulty (impossibility?) of getting a child out while still asleep. in the evening we swaddle dd and put her to sleep by carrying/holding her (often accompanied by much crying), then dh holds her while i eat dinner, have a shower etc. she will then go down in the bed ok. at night i bf lying down and she goes back to sleep right after (mostly) except in the early morning when she's terribly restless, kicking, grunting etc. i tried a fitball at my mum's the other day and it put her straight to sleep! i would get one, only we already have so much stuff in our little place we can hardly move without stubbing a toe or tripping over something. i would also love to bf to sleep in the day but she's just not into that... she loves her sling sleeping too much!

have no idea what our feed/play/sleep pattern is - or if there is any pattern at all. maybe i'll make a note of it today for interest's sake. at night i'm too out of it to work out what's going on when!

No, I'd love to bf in the day too but what's up with that? I've noticed the really new babies have a few things in common - trouble to get to nap, arsenic hour, all night feed marathons and that restless time before dawn. Just when I need to get up he falls asleep, about 7am! Little sod. From 5.30 or so onward, he just wriggles and grunts and carries on and I try to sleep through it but unless I'm really tired, I can't. Darnit all to heck. I guess it is another adjustment thing they'll grow out of.

sarah no, you are right, I 'googled' mastitis and it says to continue feeding from infected/sore breast.
    BabyWrangler WOW what a great night, who cares if it was just because of needles, even a once off like that can be a well needed rest, just what we all need to feel refreshed.
    mgm it has only been the last few days that I have noticed that it doesn't seem to matter what time he wakes for his early morning feed (4am, 5am, 6am) he then always seems to want to feed at 9am and then he tends to go 3-4 hourly between feeds.

Well, the little monkey is supposed to be having a sleep before his next feed but he is lying in his bassinette talking to himself, I am expecting it to turn into a cry VERY soon lol.

I feel so bored and lonely today, was supposed to go to lunch with DH but it is too cold a wet here in Sydney so we cancelled our 'date' . Anyway i'm off to put Oliver's plug in and see if he will have a little nap before his next bottle otherwise he will fall asleep drinking.

Thanks Sarah and Sharonfor responding, I ended up googling too Sharon and found some interesting stuff. Because the area isn't red, both breasts are hot and the pain seemed less after hand expressing the breast almost dry so to speak I felt much better, although the 2 nurofen may have helped and today it's only sore when full I think its probably a blocked duct or my body reacting to my stress over the weekend.
    Sharon - you see you have good friends and acquaintances, sometimes we just can't see them through our emotional pains. I'm feeling more loved today.
    The smelly clothes didn't work last ight or today.
    Danielle - tried to do too much today - I went shopping, carrying Greer in a baby carrier and pushing a full trolley - bit tender tonight. I'm amazed that you would have been doing it for weeks already.
    We don't have a sleep feed play routine. I'm feeling bad because I seem to spend most of my day holding Greer. She only likes to play for 5 minutes at the most unless I am holding her and interacting. Sleeping lasts max of 15 mins without being held during the day. Really need to work on that one. Maybe I need to try the fitball - might do the same as MGM and try out mums on Saturday whilst we are down there - she'll tell me to take it if it works.
    Mum actually offered to have both kids on July 12th DH's birthday so we can have some adult time together without the kids. I love my Mum

Bj has had a good day today, he's usually a bit hard to settle...not hard exactly, but he'd take a long time, and we'd have to go in 9 billion times to put his dummy back in cause he'd spit it out then cry about it.
    Last night, and then today also, he's been great, put him in, and straight to sleep...he starts to flail his arms around when he's tired, so as soon as he does it the first time, its nappy change, wrapped up and into bed.
    We put him on his side with his anti-roll pillow (or as my DH calls it, the roll cage), and we put him in it in such a way that it holds his dummy in, only he always used to get around it, today though, no dramas.
    His day today went like this:
    Wake 7:30
    Feed 7:35
    Bed 8:30
    Awake 11am
    Feed 11:10
    Awake til 1:30
    Feed 1:35
    Sleep 1:50
    Awake 4:00
    Feed 5:30
    Bath 6:00
    Bed 6:30

He's still asleep now, when he wakes will feed him again and go back to bed after that....who knows!!!

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Howdy
    Im getting my mole removed tomorrow, my pap done tomorrow, and having DD's 6w check up too..all at 8:30am, wish me luck
    Isabell has been REALLY good for mummy today..she slept from 9pm last night til 4am this morning!! and then til 7:30..then 10am, then we played til 11:30am and she slept til about 1:30pm, feed, play then fell asleep til 6pm!! Then feed again and back to sleep..no sooking nothing..hmmm i wonder if this is going to keep up or if she is just being good for now lol.
    Sorry i havent really read many of the posts, limited time on net tonight coz we want to get to bed relatively early tonight.

alittlegrubi I know I have some really great friends, it just hurts when there are others who I thought where also 'great' friends and they just don't seem to give a $hit, one of them I have been friends with since I was 11 and she has only seen oliver once and that was because I offered to go and pick her up and bring her over, she hardly said anything to me all day, was a real sad sack, DH drove her home, even fixed her washing machine for her (no thank you after) and she hasn't even replied to any of my text msg's.
    BabyWrangler glad BJ is having good days, things here took a turn for the worse, Oliver was a little bugger all day.
    MummyMeg good luck with everything tomorrow, i'm sure it will all go smoothly, even though it will probably be a terribly busy day.

Like I said to BW Oliver had a really bad day today, I am hoping that it was just because he was overtired (I think I missed his tired signs) but I was trying to keep him up longer as I kept trying to get a urine sample (pediatrician wants him to have one). So all he did today was catnap, he would be happy playing for about 15 mins each time he got up but then would get really grizzly, either that or he is coming down with something, I have just started to get over sore throat, so maybe that is it, either way I am hoping for a better day tomorrow, as we are going to watch Jordan in his school concert and want to be able to have my hands free to take some pics.

Off I go to Bedfordshire!

Yesterday was a bad day here too. DS sick and terribly grumpy; DD had only a few very short sleeps. As for the night - I can hardly bear to think about it. From 6pm to 11.30pm I was trying almost constantly to get her to sleep, punctuated by the odd feed and the occasional stint in her swing. Every time she'd start to drop off she would wake herself up. Weirdly in her waking times she was perfectly happy, but each time she got tired I'd have to endure the usual tired screaming fit. My ears are still ringing! DH and I took turns swapping between two crying kids. At 11.30 both were finally asleep and I could have dinner, but then DD woke up as soon as we put her in the bed. ARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!

Have my checkup at the ob today. DD better behave herself! As for DS - he found a picture of a goblin in a book that bears an uncanny resemblance to my ob. I'm terrified he's going to mention it to her (and I don't think she'll see the funny side).

Hope you all had a better day/night than we did.

MummyMeg, good luck with your day. Hope all goes well.

Sharon have you asked your friend if everything is alright? Maybe she needs someone to talk to, is having a bad time, feeling alone etc. We tend not to want to be around people who are down, maybe everyone has deserted her and she is feeling down because you have Oliver. Just a thought! I however literally can count my friends on one hand and one is in Victoria so we rarely catch up.
    We have our 6-8 week appointments today, like Meg I have pap smear, bubba check and my check, MCHN appointment and new parents group so gotta go get organised.
    Have done the shopping so we are having family time tonight so I doubt I'll be back in until tomorrow.

at MGM's concerns re DS and ob
    Last edited by alittlegrubi; June 5th, 2008 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks for the routine posts. Is anyone finding getting them to nap is much harder now? What are you all doing to get them to nap? I just spent an hour, he wouldn't take to the fitball (two days in a row at this 10am nap), nor a walk, nor boob on the bed, nor finger, not even the dummy which I basically dusted off from it's ready-for-the-bin hidey hole. He just cries. finally the fitball/sling combo worked but I think it was more him being exhausted.

Wow BJ stunned me last night!
    he went to bed about 6:30 was asleep til 11:15 and had a feed, asleep again at midnight...stirred at 3:30, dummy in, woke at 6:20 for a feed, then slept til 10:30am!!!

You have all got to read this, and that's and order!!

But seriously, this was really really helpful...

Sleep Remedies

Wow Janine! That was a great article. It helps explain so much. Jack had a nightmare 'witchy hour' (more like 3 hours) last night. He had been so placid and calm all day despite going to the shops, mothers group, MCHN appointment, a photo session, and about 2 hours of play... then it all went down hill at about 5. So looks like we are having a stay-at-home with no visitors day today and letting things calm down.

Apart from yesterdays breakdown we are going well. Jack is smiling and giggling... not to mention that he has started to roll from his tummy to his back during tummy time. He like to roll towards whoever is closest and give them a big gummy grin! So cute!

Wow - this group is really getting big now. I'm totally lost for personals, but have been trying to read through and catch up. So for now I will just wish everyone lots of sleep and above all to have happy babies!

Thanks Janine(Fire) for sharing you researching. I've just emailed DH the how to calm baby bit and asked him to help me try to put it into practice, because I certainly need as much help as I can get with settling Greer. I have trouble wrapping her though as she wriggles so much that she even gets out of one of those snug as a bug things.
    Had her weighed this morning with MCHN and she is 4.88kg that's up 620gms in 16 days. And they did her length this time - she has grown 3cm since birth and is now 55cm. She was long for her weight at birth. MCHN was concerned about her lack of sleep during the day, that she doesn't sleep for more than 45 minutes at at time before 2pm. Maybe she does whilst I'm holding her and I just don't notice it. She has an umbilical hernia. Otherwise all is well.

hey girls!

Just wanted to drop by and say hi, dont have much time to read through all the posts cause parents in law are here tonight.

alittlegrubbi: that is a fair bit of weight for Greer to have put on in that long... at least she is definitely thriving! Ryley has put on alot of chub now too he's 5.5kgs (4.9 when born) and he has grown 2 cms since birth and head 1 cm i think. Amazing how it seems like only little growth but when they are that little everyone notices the difference! Oh and as for the wraps to wrap bubs in... Ryley does the smae wriggles so much until hes out of it hes never really liked being wrapped tight since he was born which i also find strange! Hows the tummy feeling and your scar looking? my scabs starting to slowly come away now its fairly swollen above the scar on the inside of my belly thats where its most sore. Hey... hows your back from your needles and things? Mines still killing me! my back gets so sore I gotta lay down I get in that much pain around where I had my needles and it goes all through my back. Other than that I cant really complain.. yes im still sore but I did have an operation 7 weeks ago, so all in all things are healing over alot better than with my 1st one, and my tummy got better after bein on anti-biotics too.

So girls... what size are all our babies in now? Ryley was in 4X 0's when born for only like a week, then went to 3X 0's for about 2-3 weeks now he is in 00's!!!! hes growing up too quick I dont like it!!! he is 7 weeks old now smiling playing goo-gahing, starting to roll over on purpose now instead of out of temper hehe.

As for the sleep thing... Ryley stays alsleep from 8pm until 1 am then wakes for the rest of the whole entire morning!

If I cant get him to sleep I nurse him and pace the hall way only seem to have to walk the hallway twice and he's asleep. Otherwise he goes in his mobile electric swing, and within 10 secs hes out to it happily snoozing and swinging away.

Are there many out there who are having troubles with windy babies? My 1st was very windy Ryles seems to bring his up all on his own most the time, he sure does fart alot! and it doesnt normally take much to get his burps up sometimes he doesnt even need burping which i find quiet bizzare!

But this night time thing he has poo pains after 1am until about 5 am then does a huge poo every morning, and theres nothing I can do about poo pains I dont think.. or is there?

Hope we are all well

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast