Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born August 2007 #5

hey!

Just thought I'd pop in... We're loving this rain, however, it takes forever for the cloth nappies to dry It can get a bit miserable, as I'm thinking about starting weightwatchers and need to exersize (mil has the books, just need to know how many extra points I can have due to breastfeeding). I lost all my pg weight 2wks after giving birth, but was overweight to start with and need to shift it.

Well Jensen has a rash all over him. It started on his face and spread. MIL thought it was the measles... but thank God it isn't. It's a heat rash (despite having the a/con on and dressing lightly) and a bit of dermatitis which is hereditary, from DH. We were also told he was definately teething (duh) and I don't think it'll be long til it pops thru the gum.

I made a sleeping bag for one of the girls at mother group, got $10 for it! She's having a stall at the Zero to Five markets and suggested if I wanted to make anything to sell I could do so at her stall!!! So MIL and I are making some rompers and tops and bottoms (and possibly some sleeping bags - but they're harder for me to make, more so the fact that sewing hurts by back than the actual difficulty of sewing). Any profit made goes to my Dubai fund... We're looking to go Dec 2009.

Sorry, I meant to reply to personals, but I've got a mountain of folding to do!!

Hope you're all well.
    Rhianon and Jensen

hey qlders, send the rain down here!!! we had 41 degrees today and no power ugh.

Serah, Em hated the jolly jumper. Sarah loved it. i think we will just put it away this time and let her use her free standing bouncer, also it is a bit safer with Sarah running around.

I am thinking about starting part time work. more for my mental health than anything but we shall see how I go. I need to rewrite my resume.

Hi all,

Kim I got paid for the first time in 6 months and it felt sooo good. sure beat the piddly amount that centrelink gives me, which I might add decreased despite the fact I'm not earning anymore that I already quoted them. go figiure.
    This summer is the first time in years I have gotten sunburnt and it's because I kept forgetting to organise me. you spend so much time organising them that when you do finally leave you realise you forgot yourself.
    JJ's can cause feet and hip problems if bubs spends too much time in them and if they are at the wrong height. They should be flat footed and not in it for more than about 10-20 mins per day.

sehra, I agree I need all the sleep i can get, for weight loss, you do only need about 600 extra calories per day while bf so you can watch what you eat rather than dieting. the last month I have been so stressed and i had some days were I seemed to not have enough milk I just stoped watching what I ate.

misty lol no one ever say that old gummy joe has a cute smile like they do about bubbas. Maybe you could start a new trend. We have started sollids, with farax wich is the rice cereal (we have baby rice 'cause he's only 5 months) I try to feed him around tea time. He goes about 4 hours between feeds so if he ate at 5 I aim for 6 for solids. if he ate at 3-4ish I still feed him at 6. if his last meal was at like 2pm he will be hungry for boobie at 6 so I give him that first but although you are supposed to give bb first, that doesn't always fitt with wats happening. I use bm to mix, and sometimes find that he gets a taste for the bb milk and wants more right after the solids.

ali you poor thing no power. it was about that here too and when we got home from work it was 39 degrees inside urgh. What sort of work do you think you will do? have you got someone to look after the girls or are you looking at some form of childcare?

yeah they will prob go to daycare. havent decided yet

Em rolled this morning and has been doing it all day! so i now have a roller on my hands

Hi all,

Ali, congrats on em rolling!! Xavier still doesn't. lol I think he has accidentally rolled from front to back twice.

I made it through a week!! I am definetly getting more and more in love with the idea of being a sahm when we go back for #2. Plus with the cost of child care I think it would mean I took home $200 a fortnight if we had 2 in care. If I had free care like a nana I might change my mind. But it's not much incentive to go back to work. Ah well, for the time being i'm at least making enough after cc to save for our house, which crossing fingers we will be able to afford to do at the begining of next year!!!, which I know will come around so quickly because this is going to be such a big year.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Hi All,

Congrats to Em for rolling! Ela has begun rolling too. Well, she can roll to one side and then can't seem to get the arm thats stuck under her belly out on many ocassions! She enjoys it for a few minutes and then all hell lets loose as she gets frustrated.

Re: the JJ. Devrim doesn't seem pigeon toed. Ela only has a go for about 5 minutes, 1-2 times a day. But thanks for the info, i'll make sure she doesn't spend to much time on there. better to tell DH too.

Re: Centrelink. I too, love the way the operate. We got child allowance for Devrim for a few years, a whole 51 cents per fortnight and the idiots would send out a letter (with a 50 cent stamp!) every fortnight to inform us it had been paid!!! I even rang them once to tell them not to pay me the 51 cents and they refused as it was my entitlement! Last year we got nothing. I'd rather not get anything than be told i owe them something!

Bec- re: the weight. I too, watched what i ate for a few days and my milk seemed to run out by 8.30pm and then had to thaw out some frozen BM for her last feed, so i too, gave up watching what i ate too! My milk is running low for the past few days, so i am considering finishing BF. Ela has a lot to do with reducing my milk too. She sucks for a few times and then lets go, to look about, at me or turns around to look at other things. I literally have to force her on the BB where she will do the same, suck, look, look, look and then suck and gives up a few minutes later. Does anyone how to wean? Just increase the feed lengths apart? I am going to call MCHN today.
    I have decided to go on the Tony Ferguson plan. I have heard so many ++ about it.Plus the gym!

Anyways got to get back to work,

Hello!
    Sorry for not posting in such a long time... I have been lurking around and reading everything, just can't think of anything new or exciting to write about from us! Its been a busy few weeks with ILs still here, crazy storms, other visitors and teething (possibly, I dunno, seems to be SOMETHING happening, but I cant feel much) We've had some pretty rotten nights lately - she has needed to be re-settled up to 10 times before 2am, then sleeps til 4 or 5am and is all happy and wants to play...! Arghhhhhhhhh She is feeding way too often in the night, seems not as interested in food during the day. Have to try and swap that around for her I be thinking!

Well, I really am buggered and tired. I can't wait to have my house back once the ILs leave in 13 days.... count down has begun. The teething comments are driving me mental! I have to ignore it, I know

Congrats to Em on rolling! Its lovely for a while, then it drives you bonkers that they need to be flipped all the time huh?! We have a pretty much full time belly-sleeper here, and i had to do another un-sids thing, and put a cot bumper on as she kept rolling in to the edge and banging her head. Silly chook!

Be back later when I can think straight!

Hope you're all well!

Hi all,

Sehra, I know it's frustrating when they don't feed and want to have a good look around instead. I've found with Xavier that if he does this he's just not hungry at the time so I stop feeding him. He soon says when he is hungry again. I think that if you do want to wean talk to the mchn just to play it safe and avoid any possible mastitis.

campari, is heat a factor. Whith the hot days laley maybe she prefers feeding when it's cooler?? yay for your "freedom" countdown. won't be long.

Kim, you poor thing, that would have been a fright. I've accidentally biffed xavier on the head a few times putting him in the car, and I feel like a horrid mum everytime. I'm glad his none the worse for wear.

Hi to everyone else,

Hey everyone, Happy New Year
    I only just started posting in the last thread, then couldn't find the new one. Will try and keep up now.
    Wishing everyone going back to work all the best, lots of support and hope you get some good sleep. I will be joining you soon, but luckily not yet since Ella won't take a bottle and I am exhausted. Started to think not enough milk, and I am so hungry all the time. Suddenly I can fit into my old clothes so the hips must have gone back in, but the weight is still not coming off.
    Ella is feeding every 2.5-3 hours through the day and waking at 10.30pm, 1.30am and 3.30am, so pretty much feeding every 3 hours all day and night. She has Farex with cold boiled water at 5pm every day and really seems to want it, opening her mouth wide for it. I am too lazy to express and she didn't seem to like it with formula.
    There are quite a few babies rolling and bringing their knees up. Are they pulling to a sitting position too like Ella is?? I really don't want her to be mobile yet, but she has started rolling across the room, not just the mat.
    Just wanted to let kimnastics now my DS fell down the concrete stairs at Miranda Westfields at about 6 months since I forgot to strap him into the pram and rolled off the bed at 4mths onto laminate flooring. I too felt like the worst mum and worried for months there was going to be something wrong with him. Maybe there is but he is 3 and seems ok.
    Hope you all have a good week and look forward to seeing your posts.

Hi girls,

Kim, we all make mistakes hunny, and i'm sure your mum did things she regrets with you. he is fine so dont stress about it, just learn from it

Campari, we use a bumper called 'airwrap' it is sids appoved and is made out of the same mesh as a portacot.

Molly, Hi!!!

Em has been fussy with her bottles for the past couple of days again. i'm not liking it.

My car airconditioner thermostat died this morning so it is getting fixed first thing tomorrow. I was going to have a sleep in, but I need the aircon working.

Hey! Let's see how long Jensen will be quiet, playing with his toes in his swing.

Ali - What kind of work are you looking for? Way to go on Em rolling!
    Bec - I was advised by 2 paeds and 2 physios not to use a jolly jumper or a walker. Apparently it puts weight on their muscles that aren't ready for weight bearing yet. And as Jensen has stiff muscles as it is, he just dangles in his JJ and walker, and doesn't touch the ground. I agree, I'd think I'd def be a sahm with the next one, but as thats a ways off yet, I can only dream... I said to dh yesterday that I'd like to be one now. He said that he'd make a list of things that need to be done in a day and when he'd come home they'd have to be done! If you're a housewife, you've gotta do housewife things. He was only being silly, but still, I decided that I didn't want to be that yet!
    Sehra - How do you know if you're milk is running low? If Jensen's in a play mood, he has a go at feeding then pulls off, looks at me and smiles. When I smile back, he goes shy, buries his face and goes back to it.
    Rhi - I hear you on being tired. For a few days back there, I was so tired, I couldn't stand properly and didn't have any energy to move. Jensen has been waking who knows how many times (I've stopped counting) a night, and once he's asleep, I put him back to bed. As soon as any part of him touches his mattress, that's it. He cries. It takes about 30mins to get him back to sleep then. Then there's a 15min waiting period of seeing if he wakes again. If nothing after that time then I'm right for about an hour to 2hrs of sleep before it happens all again. Last night, twice I hummed to him back to sleep, but about 3o'clock it wasn't working any more, so he came into bed with me, slept there for 2hrs, waking in the middle (grr) and was back in his own bed at 530 til he woke at 630. I've been getting an average of about 3.5hrs sleep a night. Thinking about seeing the health nurse, but when I called last time, they wouldn't even give me an emergency appt.
    Kim - Poor you and Hayden! If it makes you feel better - last year sometime when Lea's son Nixon started crawling, he fell down the stairs at her place. Lea went for a shower and assumed Scott was watching him and Scott assumed Lea was and he crawled out the door and Lea came out, just in time to see him hit the last few stairs. He cried a bit, but was right then. They called the Ambulance and they took him to the hospital, but all he had was a few bumps and bruises. In fact, Lea fell down the stairs so many times when she was little! She's alright.

Heat is definately a factor here! Jensen doesn't feed as much during the day, but when he does he's there for a while and takes both sides. We have the air on most nights here, and Jensen kicks and drags his feet so his socks come off! Last night I put those socks on so many times! His feet and hands were cold, so the hands got mittens. He's started being really comfy on his side. I worry that he's going to roll over in his sleep and smother himself, whether he's in his sleep support thing or not. I'm starting to think that his bed is to hard and not comfy enough, but when I think about how I can make it softer and to contour to him (sleeps so well on a pillow in a pram at nana's), all I can think of is SIDs.

Jensen has started squeeling, about 2wks ago. There's no specific thing about it. He'll squeel when he's happy, uncomfortable, cranky - whenever. And we've noticed he reaches for me when someone else's holding him.

The rash is getting better in places, but his neck under his chin and nappy area are now the worst affected. So it's clothes off as much as possible!

I've just started weight watchers, just using an old book of MIL's - fingers crossed it does something for me!!

Well, better go and get ready to pick up my elec breast pump I bought from ebay from the post office and go to mothers group!

Have a great day!

Hi,
    Kim don't feel bad. We are all human. Like Bec, i hit Ela's head as i take her out of the baby seat of the car almost 90% of the time! Glad to hear bubs is fine though.
    Re: dogs. I have two little dogs and they sit at Ela's foot whilst she is in her bouncer chewing her rusk and wait for her to wave it around or drop it on the floor and they grab it and run off with it. On one occassion, Ela held her rusk high in the air and one of the dogs licked it, before i could get to her, she popped it in her mouth. Devrim, as a toddler took a bite of their Schmackos! Oh well, they need to be immune all sorts of things i guess.
    Re: weaning. Spoke to MCHN yesterday. She suggested i cut out one feed for a few days and then another feed for a few days etc.. This morning after she woke, she only took 1 breast and then 30 mins later i offered her the other and she wouldn't take. I had to get ready for work so i left her with mum. I usually express at about 10am at work, and it is almost 12pm. My breasts are ready to explode. I'll express until they are comfortable enough.
    Re: farex, do you guys warm it up or serve it at room temp? i mix farex with EBM and warm it in the m/w for about 2-3 secs. have you guys tasted it with EBM? it is sooo sweet. Ela loves it. Ela has tried all sorts of heinz, golden circle, nutricia food in the 7-9 month ranges. She doesnt seem to have any probs with the soft pieces in them either. She actually chews them. It is so cute. She blows raspberries when she eats and i get covered!
    Our bubs are growing too quickly. Why can't they stay as bubs?

Take care all. need to express.......

Hi Girls!

Just poppin in quickly. Got back from the Gold Coast yesterday afternoon. Holiday was pretty good. Only rained 2 days out of tht 7. Got to most of the Theme Parks. Girls were really well behaved. Colby was awesome!

Colby is good. Sitting up on her own no worries now. Started sitting up on her own a little on Christmas Eve but is fine to sit there on her own for ages now. We just sit her up on the loungeroom floor and she just sits there and plays with her toys. She is slowing getting up on her knees. Not enough to crawl but we are'nt to far from it i think. She started saying "bub-bub" yesterday. Almost the exact age Briley was when she started talking and babbling.

Colby is onto daily feeds of farex now. She was just getting too hungry to be exclusively BF. So we either give her a morning or night feed and she is happy as larry. Once she goes 6 months i will start her on a few vegies and pureed fruit.

Kim - Colby has fallen off the bed. Brent was in drying the girls after a bath and left the room without thinking that Colby was alone on the bed. Within seconds i heard a bang and knew straight away what it was. She started screaming and i screamed out to Brent and we both flew into the room and found her half on her side half on her head/face. I took her from Brent and she was crying and upset and seemed a little disorientated and i though she might be concused(sp??). I just held her until she settled and once she went to bed i just kept an eye on her. She was fine but. It happens to all of us hun. Briley fell of the lounge a couple of times aswell and she is perfectly fine. I know it does'nt make it feel any better but if you are really worried just take him to the Dr to have him checked over.

Hi to everyone else. I will be back for personals tonight.....

Hope you are all well....

Take Care!

Hi all,

Hi Molly, glad you found us again.

Scone, we had a podiatrist come to our mums group and she spoke about jolly jumpers, and walkers. She did say that they are not ideal and explained what the effects can be from the weight put on their muscles etc, but indicated limited use is not going to hurt them. Like all proffessionals they all have their own opinion based on the knowledge that they gained. I figure you listen to what they have to say, and use that information to make your own informed decision.
    Xavier kinda just stands there in his JJ. Hasnt worked it out yet.
    I've noticed recently that xavier copes with the heat well but not if it's for too long and the same with the aircon after a while he wants to go back to the heat. Could that have anything to do with jensens sleeping if you have the aircon on all night, maybe it's waking him??

Sehra, I give xavier baby rice with ebm. I haven't tried it, there is something about consuming my own milk that just freaks me out. I have frozen cubes of ebm that I use for him. I put 2 in an avent cup and then defrost/warm the milk in my bottle warmer. I then mix in the rice till it's the right consistency (clag). he won't take anything that tastes like ebm cold, it has to be mum temp or
    higher. But he does like it, I think he would refuse it if mixed with water. hopefully I can stop needing the ebm for it when I start mixing things with it. I will be mixing avocado with it next week for him to try.

Wow Sara, I can't believe colby is sitting by herself. Xavier won't even roll over yet, lazy little sod. Lol, I know I should cherish it while i can. But I certainly can tell how frustrated he is getting that he can't do things. I've been trying to put him on the floor on his tummy at child care so they get the hint I want him to have some tummy time.

Take care all

Grrrr. Just lost a very long post!!! Have to write it again a little later.

Just as I finished writing this (from work), DH informs me that he?s going bonkers as Willa has been screaming since 15 mins after I left the house this morning She?s been doing unusual stuff like sleeping in late, sleeping through the night (unusual but wonderful) and really mouthing on her fingers. Now I want to go home to hold her! So this is the dreaded teething?? I feel so bad I?m not there for them right now argh!!

Re. DTD ? Yeah like Sehra sometimes I catching up on sleep would be more productive! I wish it would come back full time and my excess weight would go away LOL. Strangely, I?m not too fussed about the extra 10kgs I?m carrying around. DH seems to like a bit of cushion for the pushin? hehe but fitness-wise, I?ve got a long way to go.

Farex- I just mix it with formula.

Kim ? The long overnight sleeps are few and far between as she gets up occasionally when she loses her dummy, but yeah it beats changing a nappy and making up a bottle at 4am! Re. teething, so this teething discomfort business is real huh? I still can?t get over Robin Barker?s assertion that it?s all in our minds. Re. the fall, u poor thing I can imagine how you were feeling! Very glad to know all is well. I set up pillows/soft barriers and stuff like u mentioned and have walked away too. Rest assured babies do indeed bounce. I?ve ?damaged? Willa quite a few times and am constantly surprised how she doesn?t seem to notice half the time even though they have been definite bumps.

Sehra ? There are so many opinion about JJ and we really wanted to get one but kept hearing about injuries and impairing physiological development. But I think we?re going to get one anyway, as it?s not like we?re sticking our bubs in them half the day and walking away. 10 mins mix I'd use it for. It?s a fun, novelty thing for baby. And lol about your dogs and Ela?s rusks.

Misty- Re. solids, yeah the looks Willa gave me highly interested looks everytime I ate in front of her and she would do mouthing actions. I thought I wouldn?t know the cues either but when they happen, you really do notice! I started with Farex to see what wld happen and never looked back since. I also just asked on the baby & toddler thread regarding how much to feed her as Willa just keeps going and going. The normal advice is to give her bbs/bottle first and then try a tiny amount of Farex to introduce it to her. I was told their main food until about 8 months should be milk first, but with Willa I feel it doesn?t make that huge a diff to give her a bit of solids b4 her milk as she has plenty of bottles through the day. If she goes ok, then u can slowly increase the amounts. You can do it anytime of day that u feel comfortable. I find it best to give her the first feed after her morning sleep (around 11am) as she is most alert and active at this stage and builds up an appetite n thirst after playing a bit. Second feed is late afternoon as she?s slowing down for the day and calm. Then she has her bath and gets sleepy for bedtime. She?s had farex, boiled mashed sweet potato, boiled pureed apple and avocado.

Scone ? GTH Jensen?s rash has improved. Willa gets similar rash around her fanny, but goes away by the next nappy change after a slap of nappy rash cream. The heat in summer can be so oppressive. We?ve got out fans on here fulltime. Wow about the sleeping bag and the market stall. U might have a sideline business there in the making. Sell on ebay!

Ali ? yeah work def. helps to sustain mental sanity! Though I still feel guilty on the occasions when I actually enjoy my time at work away from DD. Yay for Em about the rolling but its a headache having to unroll them all the time. Hope she resumes hassle free bottles soon.

Becca ? Congrats on your first pay cheque back and good to hear u got through the week ok. It?s great isn?t it? If u don?t mind me asking how r u able to get anything from Centrelink? We?d love to apply but I thought there was no category relevant to us as we?re not eligible for a pension or payments of any sort. Can we get anything based solely on low income? I need to have a quick look at the website.

Molly
    ? Sorry to hear you?re so tired. Ella is a clever girl to only want the bbs but I can imagine how exhausted you?d be esp with the night waking. Way to go to Ela that she?s pulling into a sitting position! I am looking forward to Willa's increased mobility though, as I?m hoping this will lead to less frustration (her?s not mine:P)

Campari ? I hear u about the having to roll them over all the time. Then they?re back on their tummies as soon as u walk away. Its cute too of course. Just constant, is all.

take care all,
    sonia

Ok,
    Here we go.. 2nd time around. This time I will write it in Word and cut and paste onto the thread to prevent the same thing happening as before.

Last night, Ela totally refused me. We sat down for her last feed before bedtime and she sucked, then she threw her head back and pushed away from my bb squealing and crying. I forced her back on and the same again. Told mum to make me some formula about 120mls and gave it to her. She guzzled that down flat! We suspect that she is getting used to the easy flow of the bottle, rather than working at the bb to get it out. Ela gets fed on EBM whilst I’m at work, so prefers the bottle now rather than bb. I was so disappointed. I knew it would happen really soon but not like in 2 days. I can’t be bothered expressing to keep my supply up for her either as it is time consuming here in the office. I heard that there are tablets which can cease BM, does anybody know anything about this? I really can’t be bothered reducing the supply one feed at a time, god knows how long it will take for it to stop altogether.

Rhianon – how do I know that my milk supply is low? I used to be able to express 160-180mls every 2-3 hours in the office and during the night. I have stopped night expressing and can only manage to get about 140mls every 5-6 hours in the office. Ela also doesn’t seem to be having really wet nappies anymore, which I am concerned about. The MCHN said that I top her up with EBM or formula so she gets those wet nappies up again with the hot weather and all. 1-2 hours after a feed I could express a reasonable amount to meet Ela’s farex milk volume to last a few days, I can’t even get that anymore.
    Good luck with WW! Hope the weight falls off. I’ll be starting Tony Ferguson just as soon as this BM stops.

Re: SAHM. I was a SAHM when Devrim was born and went totally insane! Doing the housework day in day out. No thanks. Some ppl enjoy it. I found that the novelty wears off and could never be one again.

Re: sleep deprivation. I feel for you Rhi and Rhiannon. Devrim was like that too. They sense that they are put to bed after you rock them to sleep. Eventually he moved into bed with us and we kicked daddy out! Devrim still wants to sleep with us (he is almost 6) as he is scared of the dark, but we have shifted Ela’s portacot into his room and they sleep together. Sleep deprivation is the worst torture. Some bubs don’t like sleeping too (Devrim didn’t and still doesn’t), they want to explore and are really alert. Sleep deprivation played a major part for me not having Ela earlier. I am so lucky that she is a good sleeper. Hope the sleep gets better! Maybe try a sleep school???

Re: squealing. Ela is squealing too. She gets rowdy at times and we need to tell her to hush, not that she understands! I think they are discovering their voices. Once they discover it, you can’t shut them up!

Sara- Colby seems to doing marvellously! Sitting already, boy! Yesterday, went to grab from Ela cot after her nap and she literally elbowed the pillow, shoulders off the pillow, pulled her head up and forward as if she was going to get out of the cot herself. I couldn’t believe it.
    I can’t wait to hit the theme parks too, in about 30 days! Hope the weather gets better for us.

Bec- i get the farex to clag consistency and warmed up too. I hope Ela will take farex mixed with formula once the EBM runs out. The only way I have tasted EBM is when I warm up the farex and dab a little onto my lip so test the temp. I would never have a teaspoon full of EBM or anything like that to taste it, iiighhhh. You will be surprised at the taste, if you ever do try.

Re: JJ /walkers. We got told not to do this or to do that so much these days it is unbelievable. I guess everything in moderation.

take care all...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast