Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born December 2007

Hi December Mummies!!!

Thought I best cross over here with some of my Belly Buddies. For those who don't know me, my name is Bek and we welcomed Loren Maya into the world on Dec 9, which was 1 week ago. Boy that week has gone fast, what a blur.

I have a couple of questions.

Do you wake up your bub for feeds? How long do you feed for? My delema is this. Loren feeds on and off for up to 1.5 hours then she fusses with wind etc for upto 1 hour after, and finally I get her to sleep. Therefore it is 2.5 hours from the start of the feed until she sleeps. Do I let her sleep for 2 hours and then wake up to feed or do I leave her to sleep and feed her when she is ready?

I was going through the same thing.. not the fussiness but wondering if I should wake Olivia.. I was during the day trying to get her up but only 4 hours after a feed. I didn't go from the start of a feed but the end.. but then again she only fed for 20 mins max..

My suggestion (apart from infants friend I suggested in our DD) would be to not feed her until you know for sure it isn't wind. I remember too clearly with my eldest we fed him cus we thought he was hungry but it turned out to be wind and well the cycle continued.. With Olivia and my other boys if they were fussy just after a feed or during we burped them changed thier bums ect.. then if they were still fussy out came the booby or bottle

I also have a question of my own. Olivia seems fine with burping. no problem there but the bottom end. no worries with poos but well she farts..... a LOT.. is that ok? and it seems to cause her pain.. She squirms and cries and schreeches then lets one go and relaxes totally..

oh and Welcome to the December bubs

Nic - that is what Loren does when she is trying to fart. I lay her on her side and rub her belly in a clockwise motion. The mw told me to do this and it does seem to help. I really need to work out the wind/feeding issue.

Ollie hates farting too!! He squirms alot before a burp or a fart. Gosh they can be windy bubbas hey?

i'll be trying to burp Mirani and she'll end up farting instead!

i usually leave her while she's sleeping and feed/change her when she wakes (unless she's done a num2). and after that she usually goes straight back to sleep.

thankfully because we have such a noisy house, she sleeps through everything at the moment. including car rides and shopping trips.

I updated over in preg buddies but thought I better do it here too

Olivia had her 4 week check today she has gained 730 grams in 17 days *faint** and has grown 3cm since she was born!

And today she was less windy . Leaning right right back when she starts feed and till after letdown and then I sit back up. I have done that for each feed since 11 last night (bar the one at child health this morn) but it is working. I also spoke with the child health nurse about and she agreed to try it for 24 hours and see how she goes ..

How are all the other bubba's doing? growing like weeds I hope?

oh and Michelle. Olivia sleeps through almost anything here too. It seems when it is too quiet she wakes..

Nic and Michelle - do you both feel that you don't have enough time for the little bub with your other kids needing you too? I sometimes feel Ollie misses out on cuddles like Flynn had but I guess that the youngest in a family of 3, 4 or 5 would be the same. And they all survive LOL!

Not at the moment Rory as DH is still home and will be till the 4th Jan. I know I felt like that with the boys when he went back to work though..

I just kick away the old ones and love up the new ones Seriously though, when the baby is asleep, I will cuddle up with Tehya or Noah. Tehya has been trying to sit on my lap when I am nursing Abbey which is quite squashy. Today I had Abbey in the peanut shell sling and I had to pick up Tehya as well. My poor back was killing me.

All of the kids survive. And for the moment the babies don't know really that we aren't cuddling them as much or more than the other kiddies. Just do what you can do and what works for you each day. I can pretty much guarentee that everyday one of teh kids will feel left out

Abbey is great at sleeping through noise too atm. Although I do try to keep the kids at a few decibles lower than normal. Just because she can sleep through noise doesn't mean she should have to. And I like a quieter house so any excuse to make the kids shut up for a while.

Abbey had the sleepiest day today. She had a pretty good night, down around 9.30pm after a big bath and feed with me. Woke at 2.30 for boob and a bum change, up again at 3.30 with the damn hiccups, more boob and they went away, up at 5.30 booby, another feed at 7.30 and a bum change and she slept until 11am, i got her up for a bath and a feed and she was back to sleep. This was the pattern for the rest of the day. Now after last week I should be worried, but Abbey is waking herself 4 hourly for her booby and tonight she even stayed awake for a little while. Cheeky monkey was actually trying to fight off the sleep. I gave her more boob and she gave in.

I am interested and hopeful that Abbey has gained some weight this week. She has been on teh boob like God know's what. So if she hasn't gained there must be something really wrong with either her or my breastmilk.

Nic, sounds like Olivia is growing nicely there. If only Abbey would grow like that. Hell, we will settle for half of that. Good to hear that the leanign back when feeding is helping. Have you tried laying down yet. It's a good way to get your rest too. I find it good with Abbey that way she can feed for as long as she wants and I can just doze off.

Abbey is pretty good with her wind. I'm quite slack and rarely burp her. She will burp while still on boob, or fart and poo her time away. It's like ahhh my bellyis relaxed, I can empty it out and make room for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    Abbey is great at sleeping through noise too atm. Although I do try to keep the kids at a few decibles lower than normal. Just because she can sleep through noise doesn't mean she should have to. And I like a quieter house so any excuse to make the kids shut up for a while.

Nic, sounds like Olivia is growing nicely there. If only Abbey would grow like that. Hell, we will settle for half of that. Good to hear that the leanign back when feeding is helping. Have you tried laying down yet. It's a good way to get your rest too. I find it good with Abbey that way she can feed for as long as she wants and I can just doze off.

Abbey is pretty good with her wind. I'm quite slack and rarely burp her. She will burp while still on boob, or fart and poo her time away. It's like ahhh my bellyis relaxed, I can empty it out and make room for more.
    I am the same.. Any excuse to make them be quiet I hate a noisy house too

I haven't lain down yet no but will when she wakes for her next feed. She went to bed at 7:30 same time as the boys Dh doesn't like them in our bed cus he worries we will squish them.. but he also understands my need for sleep so we are just doing what is neccesary at the moment

I was rarely burping Olivia too but this week we developed problems. So now I make sure i burp her all the time unless she is out out to it.

I lie down to feed a lot as well. Why do something upright when you can lie down and rest. Usually it ends up with me lying down on the bed feeding Sofia and Maria cuddles my back, usually ends up with both girls asleep and I get out of bed and actually get something done in the unit.

I tried the lying down thing last night and owie. for some reason m nipples hurt at the end of a feed. like someone is scraping pins across them or something. Sometimes I even have to make her hop off and let them settle down. Would she be losing her attachment at the end of a feed?

We had a good night last night 10pm she woke but was back in bed by 10:20 then up at 1:20 awake till 2 this time because she thought it might be time to poop and then projectile poo on mummy while being changed then asleep till 5

now we are having cuddles while the rest of the house sleeps

I had a crappy night. Can't even tell you what times she woke at. I know the first wake up was at 12.20am. I onlt went to bed at 11pm. My fault. BUt she was up a few times lastnight and ten of course Tehya comes in at sparrows fart and wakes me up.

Abbey as had her poo bum changed and was fed nad is fast asleep in my bed. Tehya is watching the Hooley Dooleys and keeps turning the damn tv up and down. And I am trying to enjoy my cuppa and a sit on my bum while the washing is on before the day starts.

Oh goody goody gumdrops too. My baby bonus is in. I can go buy some pressies afterall

Nic, I find that sometimes too with my nipples. I think by that stage in the feed they are all but finished anyway, just sucking for the sake of sucking. I just take Abbey off the boob and she will curl up and go to sleep.

Louise, your a good mummy getting back up. Me, I'd just stay there and go to sleep with them. And how game are you leaving Maria on the bed with Sofia. Tehya would do, OMG I can't even imagine.

ugh at the night wakings. It is so tiring isn't it?

yay for the baby bonus. mine went in last wednesday thank goodness..

And yeh when I take Olivia off she just goes to sleep..

It is very quiet in my house. Olivia is kicking away happily on the floor and Isaac is munching his way through food and everyone else is asleep

I think I am going to be super bored today when I say bored I mean cus I won't be going anywhere there is plenty to do but not the things I want to do.. Dh is going to clean the kitchen pantry and fridge out and then thats it as far as I know.. It sucks living so far from the shops. We have woolworths, coles and a couple chemists and a couple other things but the big department stores are in the next town which isn't that far away only 20-30km but we also don't have a bus service thats decent. It leaves at 8:30 comes back at 2:30

*sigh* I want to go shopping.. I enjoy it LOL.. I love shopping at xmas time

OMG I would die being that far from the shops, Then again I may have more money too.
    I am thinking of heading off shopping today, although I bet I am sorry for it. I rarely ever take Noah and Tehya shopping with me now. I go on a Thursday when they are at pre school.

I have money and it needs spending

I have a whole house that needs cleaning, washing to go on the line and all of the presents to wrap. But I can't wrap any with the kids around. What a busy weekend I'm going to have.

Come here Nic, I will take you shopping, and I drive

Mmmm....baby bonus! Our will all go on living expenses unfortunately. Neither of us are working - me because of the bubs (obviously) and DH because he is finishing his masters and waiting on hearing about the fire brigade - so the baby bonus (and our savings and last years family tax payments) will keep us going till I start work again, which will probably be in Feb or early March.

Though that said we did buy a digital SLR camera on Sunday which we saved for so I guess we are like those naughty people the govt talks about who spend the baby bonus on luxuries

TRish - don't worry I do end up falling asleep alot of the time with the kids, and I only leave Sofia in the bed with Maria if I am complete view of them.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast