Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born February 2007 #10

Sally, I'm sorry to hear about what's going on with Brendan. At least he's still very young, so this can be sorted early. Stay positive and we're thinking of you.

I am soooo excited! I got a new car today! Woo hooo! It's an almost new Ford Escape and it's really cool! I'm already missing my old car, but after what the mechanic told me the other day, we decided not to spend any more money on it, hence the decision to buy a new one.

Anyway, we're sitting on the couch watching TV at the dealership waiting for the finance to come through so we could drive our new car home, and there I appear, on the news! There was a TV camera across the road from work today. They obviously filmed me., YUK! Kel saw it and sent me a text! Funny. Too bad I looked like a total dork!

My new car is beautiful to drive and is only 6 months old and has LOTS of pram space!

I've gotta go - Jason's home with dinner - we were stuck at the car place for HOURS!

SAL _ Have they mentioned the tongue-tie before? I'm not sure, but I did think that with tongue ties, you notice them before now because they cause big issues? I know that the food consistency has been an issue, but I just 'assumed' that was due to him being premmie & needing extra time to grasp new skills? Also, surely with him crawling & blabbering all the time it's good? I see how you're disappointed. I'm completely blown away by his development & of course I"m not a paed or dr or anything remotely related to health, but surely being a prem bub & doing the things he was doing, you'd think he was doing extremely well? When do you see the physio? I'm sorry to hear that honey, I really am.

IMPATIENT _ Oooh la la, Miss Swish driving about town with the new car & the face of TV! WTG! What colour is the car? I"ve been harping on to Alan just lately about a new car, I want a girls's 4wd. He says he doesn't work in China for me to have nice wheels but for no mortgage. He says when our mortgage is paid off I can have whatever car I want, but I'm no good with waiting - nor saving! LOL. Is Bella loving the new car? How is she going with daycare?

ME _ Had the immunisation today. So far no problems. Only that she wouldn't go to bed until nearly 9pm! What is WITH THAT? I had sooooo much I wnated to do tonight! So I'm goign to go off to bed now so that if she wakes feverish or unwell I'm ready. I have the nurofen & themometer all ready!

Love Jayne

Yes, I feel very swish right now! The car is silver and the kids love it - as do I! Also, it's going to be sooo much cheaper to fill up! Will wait until Tuesday though, when petrol prices drop.

We figured it'd end up costing us more in the long run to keep our old car, and the repayments on this one are actually lower than what we were paying before. Also, we only had $700 owing on the old one, so we won't miss the money we're paying! More expensive insurance though, but I suppose you get that with new cars...!

How many more babies are yet to have needles? Other than a couple of grumpy days, Bella did ok. Actually getting them done was horrible at the time probably because she's more aware of what's happening. She had hers in her legs too.

Impatient, woohoo for the new car... what a great feeling!

Jayne, I've noticed it since we got home from the hospital (at 6weeks) but thought it was "normal" because of him being prem, I figured his tongue would grow? They've never picked up on it before because he's only just started to babble (thats how the CHN picked up on it) and his "not eating lumps" has only just become an issue. (It wasn't an issue before because being a little bit delayed is normal)

Brendan is back to normal now, after getting used to Perth timezone and having his needles. He's going to bed at around 8:30 and waking around 7:30-8.

SAL _ do they have to snip his tongue or are there other things they can do? Are you breastfeeding him? I thought it was very difficult to breastfeed with a tongue-tie? When is your physio appt? I'm sure that in no time at all he is going to be all sorted out. He's a very clever boy, he's going to respond well to the physio I just know it!

We are having a VERY bad day. Claudia didn't go well with her needles over night. Awake for the whole night except 2 x 90 minute sleeps. I'm absolutely frazzled. I'm walking through the house in near tears all day. I finally got claudia to have a sleep today then Jessica threw a tantrum over something & flung one of my oven trays across the kitchen & of course the crashing sound woke her up. She's only had 45 mins so she's just charming. I've taken them out for a long walk on the beach this morning so I can clear my head & have some fun with them, which we did, but now we're home & things are just crazy. the housework is piling up around me, the kids are driving me insane, I just feel like blowing the whistle for time out! But I don't have the timeout option! Ok, I'm going to stop whinging.

Love Jayne

Jayne - You're not superwoman, so stuff the housework! You definitely need some time out. Is there anyone nearby who can help out so you can have a couple of hours rest? Don't be like me and be afraid to ask for help!

Nights like that suck. Bella was a bit yuk for around three days after her needles, so hopefully this will be all over very soon. I hope Claudia sleeps better tonight for you.

Hey Sal,

I've just read your post - I'll try to reply properly real soon - I might try to work out how send a PM.... I"m just too tired tonight....

Just wanted to let you know that I'm sure all will be fine - I think he sounds like he's doing fantastically! And regarding his measurements - Monkey is only 73cm, but is a little heavier at 9.5kg - I'm sure he doesn't look underweight at 8.9.

Jayne, hope you get some more sleep soon mate...

Sal,

Harrison is yet to have his health checks done (the joys of trying to find another ECHC) but Harrison has always been little for his age, there have been times where strangers in the street have commented on how little his is and asked if he was born premmie. He will get there... it might have a lot to do with his tongue tie. I know thats what the problem was for us with Harrison.

Harrison had his tongue tie snipped at 5 weeks... he was having major difficulties with feeding, causing weight loss in him, and pain for me.
    I was told by both my Dr and the paediatric surgeon who did the snip that for Harrison, had it not been snipped he would have never been eat solid food (only mush), talk properly, and would end up with tooth decay as moving food out of your teeth is done with your tongue... a tongue tied bub can't do those things... some kids are fine with a tongue tie... depending on the severity... the tie can stretch with age, but most kids will have a lisp with their tie, regardless of the severity.
    The snip was done with a pair of surgical scissors, and he was immediately put on my breast. He made a sook noise, not so much a cry, and was fine... I cried though! lol.
    I'd suggest talking to a reputable paediatrician about the things that have come up in his health checks.
    Regardless, he is a gorgeous Bubba and you are doing a fantastic job with him honey.... he has come a long long way for a premmie baby... I hope you're proud of yourself and him because you should be!

Lisa, thanks for that I think thats what has happened is that it's stretched and possibly why it hadn't been picked up. *shrug* I guess it's the down side to being a first time mum and to a prem baby.... I don't know whats "normal".

Jayne, Brendan was breastfed/EBM until 4.5 months using a nipple shield. And then I started to dry up and he started losing weight so i had to start formula top-ups. He's been on formula since 5.5 months. I have no idea what they'll do about his tongue-tie. I am yet to receive my appts from the speechy and physio. Theres a long wait so i don't expect it'll be soon. I was told there is approx 4 weeks wait.

Kym, I'm not worried about his weight or height... he's following his own made-up cueve (lol) It was just a shock to only have him gain 115gms!

We are spending the weekend with nigel so I have to get going (stopped in home to pick some things up) Off to the zoo tomorrow... will catch up on Tues!!

Have fun and take care

SAL _ Lisa said it so well in her post! You should be proud to where Brendan is today beacuse it's all because of YOU! WTG! Let us know when you get your appt's!

KYM _ I'm goign to have to get Claudia weighed, because she is the youngest, but I think she's the heaviest! LOL. She was 10.3kg last time I weighed her! How is Monkey with Daycare now?

LISA _ I didn't realise how quick the tongue-tie snip was. I thought they got put to sleep, I guess it's good they do it so quickly & then straight onto your boob. Did he have any pain afterwards? How is your new place now? All feeling like home?

RYN _ Where are you?

TASHIE _ Where are you?

KEL _ I'll e-mail you!!!

ME _ Had a much better night last night. I think the bad nights are courtesy of the immunisation & another tooth. We have 7 now. Claudia has been saying 'bath time' but it comes out like 'bart tyyyyeeeee' It's gorgeous. She is also saying sister, mainly because I"m constantly sayign to Jess, go play with your sister. But Claudia says 'schista'. She is also doign things on command. Like if I give her a drink or a cracker & tell her to sit down she will. If she has something & I hold my hand out & say 'ta mummy' she comes & brings it to me. She is also going into Jessica's bedroom & sitting on the little stool to her pretend make up vanity table. it's hilarious.

Love Jayne

Jayne, thanks Claudia sounds like shes doing so well I love when they try and say words... very cute!

Well we had a great day at the zoo, even though Brendan was not at all interested in the animals... it was a nice day out.

Brendan has been a bad sleeper lately, waking 3-4 times a night (i feel like i have a newborn) i think it's all catching up with him, 3 weeks in melb and then a week of hecticness! lol. he's asleep now and has been for 1.5 hours... so he's catching up!!

Are any of you ladies doing the GDUNH??

SAL _ What's GDUNH?

Great Down Under Nappy Hunt - Cloth Diaper Business

You hunt around nappy sites looking for an icon and you can win prizes.... just a bit of fun And a great way to see what MCN's are out there too!!

Cool, I should do it as we love MCN's! But probably won't have time.....

Sal, with your physio referral, I just wanted to say that I wouldn't be too stressed about it, as I'm not sure physio can do anything for what sounds like a hernia that Brendan has. I'm a bit surprised your paed suggested physio actually - let me know if they do anything - I'd be learning something new!! I'm sure you realise this, but hernia's in prems are VERY common and many just resolve themselves. The neonatologist I work with is usually more surprised if the bubs don't have a hernia!

And sorry to hear Brendan isn't sleeping well - hopefully some good naps will help break the bad cycle.

Monkey is the same - and I must say the thought has crossed my mind too that it feels like having a newborn again - just a good reminder why we are waiting for a while before trying for no.2! Not every night is this bad, but just thought you should all hear about our record-breaking up for 5hrs on Sunday night! She went to sleep at 715pm, woke at 830pm and didn't get back to sleep until after 130am - it was horrid! Even a drive in the car at 11ish didn't help. Thank goodness I don't work Mondays!

Jayne, Monkey is now doing great at family day care, thanks for asking - she doesn't even cry when I leave her - smiles and waves me out the door! And she sleeps better there than at home (in the pram still, but that's fine with me!). Your new photo of Jessica and Claudia is gorgeous! And sounds like she is doing some way cute things!

Monkey is starting to talk heaps more too - she does ta really well too. She has also just started to know where her nose, mouth and belly button are and points to ours as well (have I already mentioned this??? Sorry if its repeat news, I'm just so proud!!!).

We are starting to wean to 1 feed per day now too. After much uncertainty I decided to wean the morning feed and keep the evening one just before bed. She is pretty attached to both of them, but i think she'll miss the morning one less as I can replace it with food and we can just get out of bed earlier!

What are the rest of you doing with milk feeds now?

She had her 1st smoothie today that she actually drank heaps of - thanks Tash for the idea! I made one with frozen berries and she drank over 100ml! Previous attempts with banana haven't gone as well, but I think it must be that its too thick to get through her straw (which is also a new thing!), not that she doesn't like the flavour, as she loves her banana with weetbix and milk....

'night all.

KYM _ I'm glad you mentioned weaning the feeds. I'm just trying to wean Claudia & I can tell you, she's pretty well jacked about it. I have had her weaned during the day for about 2-3 weeks, atm she is having a feed upon waking first thing & then another feed before bed at night & a 5am feed. But with her horrific night's just lately I think we have got rid of the 5am feed but I'm keen to get rid of them all. I have been giving her cows milk in a straw cup which she gives me the filthiest look when I hand it to her & sometimes she takes a sip, others she just pushes it out my hand but today I put some warmed milk in an avent bottle & she drank that. So before bed I tried again & she took about 50mL & then wanted boobies. So I'm just trying the easy approach atm. If Alan were home I'd go out a few nights so he had to put her to bed with some cows milk, but he's not, so I'm doing it this way. She also has a thing where she likes to lay in bed with me for an hour or so & feed & sleep, feed & sleep. I have to admit, I'm quite partial to this too, so I don't really mind if the morning feed hangs around a bit longer. Maybe you need to put Monkey to bed in the pram at home sometimes? Sounds like she prefers it when she is in a smaller environment? OMG the pointy to body parts is AWESOME! I think I better get onto that with Claudia. She went into Jessica's room today & got her water spray & her hair brush & bought it to me & then sat in front of me like Jessica does. I was so stunned that she imitated her like that!

SAL _ Claudia had the umbilical hernia when she was a bub, wouldn't it be great if it were something small like that? Claudia's just went away by itself.

ME _ We are getting somewhere with the cows milk today which has made my day. Also, I don't know if this is an omen for a bad night, but she didn't do her usual wake up after 30 minutes at night time to be re-settled. I hope it's a good sign! KYM, Claudia does the party girl antics at night sometimes as well & she did a midnight to 5am stint the other night. Not happy!

Love Jayne

Hi Girls,
    Happy birthday Erin. Hope you and your Mummy have a fantastic day.
    OMG...so much has happened in the last week...
    Well we have joined the club of 1 year olds. Tobi had a great birthday on Thursday. We went to Lollipops with Kym and Monkey. If you haven't ever been to one, I really recommend it, Tobi especially loves the ball pits and adults get a free coffee (after paying for entry).

Then on Friday we flew up to Brissy and DH met us at the airport. Its funny. We have gone 7months apart before, and yet I really missed him the last two weeks. But my annoying visitors probably didn't help that. My BIL broke it off with the annoying girl as soon as they got back to QLD, so that is one less worry.

On Sunday we had Tobi's Teddy Bears Picnic and it went really well. We had tonnes of food left over. And he got some really great pressies. There was definitely a theme of musical instruments and 'Little People' stuff. I think his highlight for the day was chasing after the Ibises and playing in the dirt. He is such a boy. That has helped us finally work out what we are going to get him for his birthday. A sand pit! And for Easter. We are going to get a Bunny Rabbit for him (need some advice Jayne). He LOVES animals and DH doesn't want a cat or dog, so a Bunny it is. I am so excited. I can picture him now chasing it across our yard.

I went with my inlaws back to their place on Sunday night and DH flew home. I was planning on staying up in QLD for another week, but on Monday morning DH rang and said he is off to Afgan in few weeks, so we flew back home Monday night so we can spend as much time with him before he goes. He is only going for 4months this trip and the timing really suits us, so we are happy about it. We were expecting him to go over Christmas so this is heaps better.

Meanwhile, I became an Auntie yesterday. Harrison James. Very exciting. Apparently my Mum chucked a major wobbly because they told her she couldn't go up to the hospital until today. What is with grandparents thinking that it is their RIGHT to see the baby as soon as it is born. I thought it was a lovely idea that my bro wanted to have a day for just the three of them to bond, especially seeing as he didn't want kids in the first place.

Last night I baby sat a 9month old. Gave me a real taste on what it would be like having two babies. Tobi started to cry when Luke was crying as he was confused to what was going on. And DH got upset because Luke has a bigger willy than Tobi. At least Tobi is gorgeous. He will have to make sure that the girls fall in love with him before he sleeps with them!

Sally - I agree with everyone else. I think Brendan is going great, he is heavier than a lot of other babies I know the same age. And his development seems to be going really well too. I am sure that everything will be fine, you are doing a fantastic job....how is everything going with the Dad?

Jayne - I think the bottle/cup makes a huge difference with going to cows milk. Tobi loves his sipper cup, so it made it easy to start giving him milk in it. We haven't tried a straw cup yet. But it did take us over a month to get up to drinking 400-500mls a day. How are things at home this week? When does Alan get home again?

Michelle - How is work going and Bella in child care? Congrates on the new car.
    Love and kisses to all the bubs
    Auntie Tashie

TASHIE _ Oh my you're sounding pretty ok for somebody who's husband is going to be away for 4 months! You're so brave! I'm brave with Alan leaving, but he doesn't go for 4 months at a time! I'm sooooo glad to hear that Tobi had a wonderful birthday! Aren't the presents insane! I swear, Alan & I have more fun sometimes than the kids with the toys! Oh what, what a beautiful name for your new nephew. Yes, families are so pushy sometimes when it comes to seeing newborns. I had the whole family there waiting in the hospital just as I started pushing for Claudia! But it worked out good for us, because they came in as soon as she was born, I was still in the birthing suite & they came & had their cuddles & then went home so I could have a shower & get cleaned up & got taken to my room & went to bed for the night. Bless Claudia's heart because she slept 8hrs! It was actually pretty good how it turned out, but people who have really shocking labours & births need that time to recoup & take a deep breath to get their head around what happened before they go being bombarded by visitors.

For the bubs who self-settle in the cots, is getting their legs stuck in the bars an issue? Claudia didn't make a sound going to sleep & I went in & put the fan on & both her legs were stuck in the same bar of the cot. I mean really jammed in. She has big red marks on them. I had to basically yank them out. I'm wondering if it's just a one-off thing or should I look at getting one of those net things that goes around to stop that happening?

Love Jayne

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast