Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born February 2008 #5

How did it go Prama?
    I give it to her after tea or lunch. I dont give her a huge meal and sometimes she just likes to suck on it.

hehe, he sucked on it for a bit. he didnt mind it at all. i didnt know what to do w it then, we just threw it out..
    thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone had a lovely 1st Fathers Day. Sophie is much better she still has the cough but isn't febrile anymore as is getting back to drinking a bit more! YAY

Roya -- Great to hear from you. Sorry to hear you are up so frequently -- it does get better I promise. Once they move around they do get really tired and sleep sleep sleep. Lucky you getting to go to the snow!!!!

Bun -- some bubs aren't really interested in solids and they are around 7 or 8 months when they start to eat. My boys were great eaters they just ate anything and everything but DD is the opposite. I am just offering a few teaspoons twice a day and if she is not interested after about 10minutes then I stop. She will munch on a celery stick or a rusk quite happily but anything pureed gets a bit tricky. I am going to start giving her soft carrots and vegies and see how she goes.

Jen-- Thanks for the rusk recipe will have to give them a go.

Ash + Jacki -- WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you a going well.

Prama -- how was Steve's first Fathers Day????

We gave my DH a Nintendo Wii for Fathers Day so we have been busy playing. It is soooooo much fun

4 sleeps to go!!
    Hi to anyone I have missed

Sue

Hi all,

Here is another selfish post from me; too far behind again... The modem from the PC blew up and DP is away for work quite a lot at the moment and has to take the laptop... I miss catching up with you girls.

For us there is some improvement on the solids front (hang in there Bun, Catherine will surprise you one day!), a few days ago Jasper started to eat his rice cereal! He is having about 2 tablespoons for lunch now mixed with some pureed apple. Sometimes he just keeps trying to grab the spoon and that is when I do the same: give him a rusk to suck on while I try to get as much rice cereal into his mouth as possible . They are so messy!! Tried him on some pumpkin and sweet potato the last few days, but he didn't like that at all. He's probably a sweet tooth like his mum .

Regarding sleeping, the last week and a half have been a challenge as he is practising to crawl in his cot and keeps waking himself up when he pushes himself agains the side of the cot.... Does anyone else have the same problem? He usually only cries for a couple of minutes in frustration and then selfsettles, but that still means that everyone is awake sometimes every 45 minutes.... I don't want to use cotbumpers and I don't know if there are safe alternatives... The positive side of all this is that he sleeps really well during the day. How many naps are your bubbies on and how long can they stay awake? Jasper only stays happy for about 1.5 hours, after that he gets too cross to keep up. I can stretch it to 2 hours when we are out and about, but only just. This makes the whole solids game a bit harder too, because there don't seem to be enough hours in the day to get him fed three solid meals and go out and see people or go to town; just like you said, Prama: sometimes it seems like all you are doing is feeding him and cleaning up...

Sorry about the selfish rant, I will have the computer for this week, so I will try to keep track and do some personals.

Good on you Sue for planning a trip away! Bet you can't wait!!!

Hi to everyone I have missed and wish you all a good day!

Esther
    Last edited by Esme; September 9th, 2008 at 08:46 AM.

By the way, Bun, we are on the same no. of breastfeeds (5-6) per day one of those usually during the night. I just figure that BM is more important than solids at this stage, so I just follow his lead and keep offering new foods. They will take it when they are ready. But I have to say, it is really easy to start to stress about it, especially since other bubbies are doing so well with solids. I sometimes really get the feeling that we are falling behind....But I try not to stress about it too much. Lucky there's at least two of us in this forum; big , they will get there and then we'll look back and wonder what all the worry was about!!

Thank you all so much for your support, you girls are fantastic! Now I feel a lot better about Catherine not wanting solids. I was pretty sure that BFs are more important at this stage, so wasn't too worried about her not taking solids until the stupid CHN rocked me, plus the fact that her weight gain is not much as compared to normal.

jen - thanks so much. I have just had a look at my baby book and read that a lot of BF babies put on heaps of weight at first and then level out later, and she still has huge fat rolls everywhere, so she must be doing ok! At the moment I am just letting her feed herself with pieces of fruit, bread, arrowroot or rusks and then I can manage to shove some food in everytime she opens her mouth (although half the food comes straight out again!). Thanks for the rusk recipe, I tried it and she loved it! I will keep doing that, and it is much cheaper than commercial rusks that end up in the bin most of the time because she throws them on the ground all the time!

prama - I try solids first simply because I have so much trouble getting her take them, and it is easier if I know she is hungry. I'm glad to hear Lakshman is so into his solids, that's great! I am going to try not to think too much about the growth charts, I guess they are only a guide, and looking at our bubs, I think they look completely healthy.

sue - I think I am going to try giving DD soft veggies too - she likes to pick things up from her high chair and feed herself, so I may just cook up some mixed vegies tonight and leave them for her to feed herself at her own pace. I am not having any luck with pureed stuff either! We just got a wii too and I am wasting heaps of time on it!

esme - sorry to hear about the sleep situation, that is so hard to cope with. I hope he improves soon. DD doesn't seem to move around in her cot too much yet thank goodness so I don't have any advice. I also feel like I spend most of my time trying to feed DD and then cleaning up. She makes such a mess that I have to change her entire outfit (and often mine too), and completely clean the high chair and the floor. Food goes everywhere! And I see the other babies at mothers group who just open their mouths and swallow their food down no worries at all! Why can't it be like that for us?! Sooo frustrating, but you're right, they'll get there eventually, and as long as they are getting milk, they will be fine. I just hate when stupid CHN's make us feel like we are doing something wrong! Right now DD has 2 naps each day - each for around 2 hours, and she can stay awake for 2.5 to 3 hours at a time.

Must go, the little one is calling. I hope everyone had a great fathers day!

Hi Girls,
    Yes, I know....long time, no post. I do read this thread regularly but for a million and one reasons, never get around to posting. Even now I won't post much cos I am off to bath Zoe (she has no nappy on)....but I have a quick question I need to ask Prama!
    Zoe and I just landed in Singapore (to see Nanna...my mum) and I have already been eaten by mozzies. Just wondering what you did for Poopy as far as keeping the mozzies away? are there any baby safe repellants?
    Anyone else have any ideas?
    Thanks heaps....i promise i will post again soon with a proper update.

hi danda!

i think you cant use repellents until 6 months or 1 year on bub's skin.... i cant remember.
    we didnt have a lot of mozzies, some at night... i got a mosquito net over his cot. even then, i missed one or two that snuck in.. just be careful of the dawn and dusk mozzies, there can be those aedes mozzies that carry dengue fever...
    if you at home you can light up sandalwood incense that gets rid of mozzies. the other option is to spray but a bit iffy for bubs....

bun - yeah, those charts really got me worried about poopy.. i'm a bit better now but i was always looking at them and worrying abt him.
    he's ok w his solids but i wish he was more into his milk... i guess you cant have both!

esme - dont worry too much, i know it's worrying when your child doesnt want solids, but he will. i know it's easier said than done. and you tend to compare w other bubs here. i do that too. but jasper will eat when he's ready.

CAUTION:

1. DO NOT FEED CHILD BEETROOT WHEN CHILD IS WEARING WHITE
    2. DO NOT FEED CHILD BEETROOT AND PUT HIM/HER DOWN ON MAT/CARPET, THEY MIGHT CHUCK UP BEETROOT ON MAT/CARPET

yup, that's what happened today!
    Last edited by prama; September 9th, 2008 at 09:30 PM.

Prama - you are gorgeousthanks for the laugh he he he hadn't even thought of beetroot.
    You'll have to join the domestic goddess thread to find outhow to get rid of the stain

Sue

ps have a good day everyone
    Last edited by Sueby; September 10th, 2008 at 07:29 AM.

LOL, thanks for the warning Prama!!!! We are getting new carpet next month..... I noticed carrot stains yesterday, hope they come out in the wash. My MIL bought Jasper those 'bibs' that have sleeves and are made of water proof material; they are great!

Bun - Without all that conflicting information out there I would not have been worried at all. He is happy, healthy, has fat rolls and learns new tricks sometimes everyday. It is just that some information and HCN make you feel that something is/could be wrong! I read a good theory here on BellyBelly; the 'deserted island' theory: would you be worried if you were living on a deserted island? If not, then don't worry!

Morning ladies,

Esme- There is a safe cot bumper! I was having the same problem with Amber. She was rolling and moving around her cot and getting her legs stuck in the cot bars. Then one of the lovely Jan ladies told me she got a product called airwrap. If you google airwrap it is the first one there. It is a meshy kind of one where the air flows and they cant get their fingers stucks etc. Big W seem to have it a little cheaper than the baby shops.

Prama- hahaha. Not funny in your household I would imagine. We havent tried beetroot yet. I cringe at the thought.

Hi to Sue, Danda, Bun and all the lovely ladies out there. Amber has woken so must be off.

Oh and we go through SO many bibs these days. I need to have an everlasting supply.

will look up air wrap!

yes, i wasnt thinking when i made a HUGE batch of beetrrot

Thanks Jen! Will look it up. He seems to have settled a little (touch wood...). The last few nights he has slept quite well, so hopefully it was just a wonder week. He is rearranging his daysleeps too; going to 2-3 daysleeps with 2 long ones and 1 0.5 hr one. He goes down a lot easier and sleeps for longer; I can finally get some stuff done around the house (not that it is clean and tidy now; just lost my excuse for not having it tidy ).

Now another story.... at lunchtime I sat down with Jasper to eat lunch; offered him some rice cereal with apple off a spoon; mr. didn't like it. He turned his head away and refused to eat it. I tried a few more times and was about to give up. I thought I let him play with his spoon, so I gave him the spoon with some cereal still on it and he started to suck it of the spoon while he was holding it. I went and got myself another spoon and tried to feed him while he was playing with the first spoon, but mr. Cheeky dropped the empty spoon, grabbed the full spoon and started to eat the cereal. I kept filling up the empty spoon and giving it to him and the whole portion of cereal was gone in no time (and most of it into his mouth too)! I couldn't believe my eyes! Even the couple of teaspoons of carrot I gave him for a taste went down this way without too much gagging!
    At least I know now that he is ready for solids, I might just have to try the Baby Led Solids, but DP is a bit apprehensive about the gagging/choking risk... It is so messy letting him feed himself purees. This way I won't be able to feed him solids when we are out and about; he gets it absolutely everywhere. But at least I know he will eat solids .
    Last edited by Esme; September 10th, 2008 at 07:25 PM.

esme - that's funny as that is how I used to get solids into DD! Even that doesn't work sometimes these days, but it works well a lot of the time. I'm glad you have found a way to feed him! I also can't feed DD when out anywhere because it is so messy, and I have to change DD's entire outfit after each feed, but at least some food gets in! BTW, I love your deserted island theory.

danda - good to hear from you!

prama - he he, that beetroot story made me laugh. I don't think we will be ready for beetroot for a long time, DD makes enough of a mess as it is!

pfffttt - im getting really tired of writing posts, only to get an error.. grrrrrr

i lost my post...

let me remember....

esme - yaay!!! jasper you're a champ!!!
    gag - i was scared to give lakshman mashed food cos he would gag. the mcn told me it's a natural reflex and it's ok to give him mashed food, as the gagging is normal.
    so i gave him some beetroot yesterday, he gagged a little, and today beetroot again and he gagged just a couple of times. i think he's getting better. and i was giving him pureed food in public and mashed at home cos i was scared of gagging. the other day he gagged and i got so scared and tried to remember all the first aid i learnt.

hehe - put some newspaper over the carpet while feeding him today, lucky, lots of red spots on the paper.

i better go.. xoxoxo

Hi Everyone!

So sorry for the lack of posts lately! Have been flat out working, travelling, being sick...the usual...lol..

Everything here is great! Noah is a gem! He is such a typical boy..lol..very playful and loving his big sister! He is still on solids, 9.1kg and crawling! He does a commando type crawl on his forearms...he looks so cute!

Prama - Beetroot?? Crikey your game...I wouldnt trust my boy with that lol...he makes a big enough mess with potato...lol.. You can buy a big thick plastic sheet to go on the floor under the highchair, then you just wipe it down afterwards...

Esme - thats so cute that Jasper wanted to feed HIS way or no way...lol...glad to hear that he is sleeping a bit better too!!

Jen - we go through a million bibs too! I have resorted to the disposable ones when we are out and about, that way it can go straight into the bin!

Danda - I hope that you and Zoe are enjoying your holiday!!!! How are the mozzies going?? Did you find anything to repel them with? We use on the kids here a natural repellent that has Olive Oil, and essential oils etc, seems to work quite well, we have a lot of sandflies up here so it seems to help them stop biting too.. NOt too sure if you can get anything like that over there?

Bun - Sounds like Catherine is doing really well without solids! You'll know when she is ready!!

Sue - Arent those Wii's so much fun!! We brought the Wi Fit too for me, with all the intention to get up and excercise...but ahem...I havent been that motivated lately...lol..

How is everyone else? Jacki? Ash? Roya? Kat? Roquen?

Has anyone tried those MUM-MUM rice rusks with thier bubs yet? Ds Loves them!

Okay , better scoot...am meant to be cleaning the house...
    Last edited by *MinKy*; September 11th, 2008 at 11:21 AM.

Warning - Beetroot Poo Is Just Like Beetroot!!

Eeeeww Prama!!!

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast