Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born January - June 2005 #5

Debbie Lee Guest

Sounds like a plan. Only thing is, the closes big shopping centre is probably in Warrnambool which is an hour away, LOL. I think Santa is meant to be coming to playgroup soon. I'll have to check if there's going to be one somewhere in Hamilton. There's a Harvey Norman there but it's only an electrical store - not as big as the ones in Geelong. Hmm... will ask around.

Fi - i have the kids in daycare atm, and they love it. And its nice for me to have a break. DHS is paying for mine at the moment (long story, helpful but a pain as well...) so the boys are in 3 days (mon thurs fri) and Anneliese 2 days (mon and thurs) so i get some time to regain my sanity, and get on top of the housework, and have some "me" time, but also get to spend some time with Anneliese, 1 on 1. The junies (baby buddies) have most meets on fridays, and a couple of us meet most weeks, so anneliese gets contact with other babies and me with friends. Its working for us, and the boys get to run around and burn off lots of energy. They are in from 8-4, so come home, baths dinner, spend some time having lots of cuddles, and then bed!! Sorry to ramble on

Hi Chickies,
    Yes another day on the job, I'm in admin today so they dont care what I do as long as I look busy.
    Well Eliza is in daycare today..I agree Fi its not about thriving but maybe a break for you or even a chance to do some activities without mum or dad looking at her
    Sarah: Wow what a haircut, atleast you have captured it forever and those standy bits are annoying...we need another haircut that will be no 4 still screams the place down
    Simone:Good on you for having a break as you say even just to get the housework done is an achievement..I was folding washing at 5am thinking this is stupid....I need a housecleaner now I work
    Trish:Good idea about Santa, we didnt bother last year but I think we need too do something this year
    Shannon: Hope the ms leaves quickly..all you pregnant women I dont know how you deal with the tiredness and ms and a toddler.
    Belinda:Little Mason sounds adorable
    Oh well that was 10 minutes wasted. Eliza went to daycare without tooo many issues so thats a good sign, but after last weeks incident with her biting I'm a bit scared.Good news tho she got in for Mon and Wed next year..I love the daycare she is in
    Better look busy
    Bec

Hey all,
    Its mum and my sister being bossy about daycare. I know it has its place, but I honestly didn't sign up to this gig to put her in daycare. I would really rather take her and the new baby to a nice playgroup or something similar where she can be with other kids, but still come home to her own bed for a nap if need be.
    I get really angry with my sister giving me advice on looking after kids. Both her children were in daycare from a very young age, and she just never did the "mum at home" thing. My brother and SIL also have their daughter in almost full time, and its a pressure thing I think.
    The thing is - the money on one day a week is almost 4 weeks worth of another activity that we could do, so I'm tempted to say I would rather to gymbaroo orsomething like that.
    They grow up too quickly, and jenna is AOK with othre kids at the moment. If she started to be antisocial I would put more thought into it, but really, she gets most of what she needs at home.

Anyway - I'll try and get her name down for one day a week next year and see how it goes. I'm not convinced.......

Bec - get back towork We had passionfruit spongecake for morning tea. It rocked. Jenna once again devoured the cream.

Trish - I took jenna to see santa and the reindeer this morning in town. I was just about to do exactly what you suggested - warm her into it slowly. I think they let the kids sit on Santa's knee without paying for photos, so I might have to try that a few times too before we do the photos!!
    Jenna does the money and shop thing too. We give her 50c when we got to the shop, and she is really good at handing it over for whatever we buy. Oh - and she is saying please heaps now too - specially when she really wants something. IN the car its "hot tato, hot tato, hot tato, pees, pees, pees...." Delightful! The other day in a shop a woman sneezed and Jenna said bless. They thought it was too cute. Try dealing with the precocious bunny at home

Simone - sounds like you have your hands full with allthe kids. Thankfully your belly buddies meet up for a nice break huh?

Deb - good luck tracking down a good santa.

Debbie Lee Guest

Fi - definitely give playgroup a shot. It's well worth it (and heaps cheaper than day care!). Also, when people come along with newborns to our playgroup, we all give Mummy a rest by giving loads of cuddles so it gives her a chance to go and play with the older children. It works so well for everyone (clucky women and for Mummy, hehehe). Most playgroups have some kind of "structure" aswell so you could put that to your Mum and sis (tho home-life has structure too... so I don't see the issue). I wouldn't put Jenna in day care if you're not 100% sure about it - it's just not worth the stress on you. Jenna gets plenty of interaction with other children her age with your MG, Eliza etc. etc.

Speaking of playgroups, I received a parcel today (actually, got a stack of parcels! Christmas is early!). My old playgroup back in Geelong sent me a lovely little going-away present that they didn't get to give to me because I was unable to attend on the last day before we moved. I also got a lovely card with special messages from each of them. Made me cry! They are such a lovely bunch of ladies and I miss them a stack! Gabby thoroughly enjoyed going there. We enjoy our new playgroup too but it's not the same *sigh*

Also got Gabby's Christmas Day outfit... soooo cute! I got a blanket embroidered for friends that have just had a little boy (through Michelle - mitch4now's little business). It's gorgeous. I'll have to send that off. Gab's secret santa arrived too. So exciting! Oh.. and Neil's wallet. The doofus left it in Geelong so my sis express posted it yesterday. Honestly, between his keys and his wallet (and all the other things he misplaces) I am over it!! LOL

Deb - im awful, i always lose things, thats why i always put everything back in my handbag... maybe neils needs to have a backpack or something that he leaves everything in??

Nice day here, just on the laptop outside, anneliese on a blanket next to me. not happy with tummy time!! Declan's in bed asleep (second sleep of the day) and Xander's watching A Bugs Life (again!)

Yeah Deb - I think I'm going to do the Leopold playgroup next year. Apparently its really nice. The newcomb one will not be revisited.........
    I also want to do a structured activity where I can say sit on the sidelines and watch Jenna while feeding, so I'm not sure when her age is right for that - or what activity for that matter.
    Also I'm really keen to keep doing library time, that was heaps of fun last week, and even though I can only goevery second week, I reckon it will still be worth it. Maybe I need to go to one of the other libraries for it?

Lots of parcels for you today Are you going to open your SS? I'm in two minds about it.
    I HAVE to get the second half of it bought though - I'm pretty sure I know what to get, but I just haev to get onto it.

Simone - sounds liek you are having a cruisy day

Debbie Lee Guest

Simone - hehehe maybe I should buy Neil a "man" bag?? Sounds like a lovely day to be outside. It's a bit overcast and grey here but no rain (typical). Oh well... my washing might get dry after all.

Fi - I wonder if Larissa goes to the Leopold playgroup? I'm sure she probably does... tho I guess there's all different days. Nup... not opening Gab's SS until Christmas morning. We did that last year and it was great!

Gab has been asleep for an hour and a half. Yay! She hasn't slept since last Thursday (during the day). Oh.. I lie... she slept for Lauren on Saturday. She was up at the crack-o-dawn this morning so I'm glad she's sleeping.

It was cruisy untl Declan got up... His fever may have gone, but he's still gunky and runny and whingy!! Drivingme mad...

As you are on the topic of playgroups, how do you find a playgroup?

Never been to one but was considering it next year for Mason, although he will be going to daycare two days a week next year, i wasnt offered to go with Mason or Cooper because i wasnt a first time mother, which i didnt think was very fair but didnt bother me that much at the time

Debbie Lee Guest

Belinda - playgroup is different to First Mothers group. You won't be offered to join a playgroup... you actually have to go and seek one. A lot of playgroups run in church buildings (Sunday schools, halls etc.) though they aren't necessarily religious. The playgroup that we go to atm runs at the local Kindergarten on Thursdays (kindy doesn't run on Thursdays). My last playgroup was run out of a church. We did sing christian songs and listen to christian-based stories but it wasn't too full on. Was loads of fun. Playgroups ususally have a range of toys/play equipment set up and it the age of the children attending varies from babies thru to about 4 years old. Maybe ask at your MCHN (sometimes there's notices up on the board there?). Even ring your council... perhaps they have a list of playgroups in your area? Definitely worth tracking one down

Simone - aww poor Declan and poor you Hope he gets better soon.

SO do i deb - he got up for an hour, snotted all over me, and has just gone back down for another nap... #3 of the day

Thanks for the info Debbie, didnt realise it was first mothers group they were talking about

Will look into it anyhow

Good luck belinda

Thanks Simone and i hope Declan sleeps for you tonight and feels better tommorow

Not much doing here, have done a mountain of proper housework, which means i actually sorted through and moved stuff around, and spent some time with Mason as Cooper has been sleeping well today after being really unsettled yesterday, sort of find the gap hard in that respect, feel like the older one is missing out a bit, but today has been better so i guess its just a matter of it all working itself out

Hmm - in VIC all the playgroups fall under one banner of playgroup victoria, so you just have to contact them and they tell you your closest one. Not sure about the other states.
    Most of them do Tuesdays and Thursdays, and usually you can go to both days for the one fee.
    We have a really good mothers group - its almost liek a playgroup as we meet at each other's house every fortnight and let the kids run havoc. Its really good and supportive.
    Playgroup - I tried the local one, but to be honest some of the women in neighbouring suburbs aren't terribly desirable, and after one little boy spat and yelled at jenna, and was then hitting me, and was left undisciplined by both the mother and the group leader, we decided not to go back. It was a shame because one day was really well structured and they had heaps and heaps of really nice toys.
    Definitly a man-bag for Nobba Deb. I can almost see him carrying one as soon as Shane would

yes thats my problem with playgroup, i hear stories like that where there always seems to be that one family who just do whatever and dont seem to care, although with how rough Mason is at home maybe that would be us lol

Although i would be jumping all over him if that were the case so guess not

No - I think this was a separate problem with playgroup. Most of the responsible people had left on the Tuesday, and it was left to a small family group to run the day. So the group leader was actually the aunt of the kid that was particularly unpleasant. When I got there, about 4-5 mums/aunts/grandmas just set up in a circle and drank coffee the whole time. There was no structure to the session at all, and the kids food was left out on the tables, so of course jenna just kept going up and trying to eat other people's food.
    There were only 2 mums that kept an eye on the kids, and one of them was me. The other one was 38w pregnant. I felt so dirty when I got home that I had a shower with Jenna. It was awful.
    On the other hand the Thursday session was brilliant. Really friendly, really well structured, great people, singing, playtime, and a nice bunch of kids. The only thing is I wanted to find a playgroup I could go to 2 days a week. So I got my money back from them and said no thanks!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast