Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born in June 2006 #10

bath - what is about the need to empty the bath water out of the bath onto the floor - but if you go to pull the plug out and empty the water that way all hell breaks loose with "no don't take the water away - I'm not finished...." I'm fully hearing you about juggling their needs - I don't to know why Samuel has his more unsettled days when Ben's home - the days he's at daycare Samuel sleeps all day - I know why in the back of my mind but it gets a bit aghhh!!

ETA - weighed Sam at the chemist on the weekend and he's a fatso at 6.97kg (although I remember Benjamin packing it on until aobut 4 months when he got sick and plateaued for months on end. Actually Samuel's not really fat except for the tops of his legs where the rolls appear - can't measure his length though to find out whether he's tall but 00 clothes do fit him well although we can still squeeze into some 000.

Having the next - DH says there won't be another and although I think about having another I want to hold out for a while cause a) need to ski at Xmas LOL b) want to enjoy Samuel and devote some time to Benjamin before he's due to start school in a couple of years and c) knowing it will definitely be my last (if Samuel isn't) leave it as late as possible.
    Last edited by jaspen; September 18th, 2006 at 12:58 PM.

Hmm, good question about the premmis, Jaspen, I was wondering that and didn't think to ask!
    Thanks for the Moo Goo tip, Cee Cee. I stopped using anti-dandruffs ages ago cos I realised I don't have dandruff. One doctor said it was a version of sebhorrhea (unsure of sp), but whatever it is it doesn't respond to anti-dandruffs or even much to apple cider vinegar rinsing. I use shampoos with high organic content and little to no sulfates etc. I've always had a degree of it but it became quite acute towards the end of the pregnancy and especially afterwards. I had flaxseed oil tablets (well, the gelcap things) and now I've got an Omega oil blend (the Melrose stuff) that I put in my breakfast cereal (doesn't even make it taste funny!) and I started that late last week (didn't take it on the weekend) and I feel that it's improving. I'll look up the moo goo, though, cos I'm game to try anything that might work! I hate having to wash my hair everyday to get rid of the flaking skin - with my curly hair it can't just shake out, so I have to wet it down to get it out!
    FYI Melbourne girls- on the 25th October there's a CD launch for 'The Gift', the compilation by artists who have donated their songs to raise funds for milk banks around Australia. I hope Kelly doesn't mind me posting this, but it's an ABA initiative and it is such a good cause! Also, one of the artists is my favourite local singer/songwriter, so I think I'll be there! I've just lost the email that contained the info (very strange, but I think there's a gremlin on my server, it's eaten all emails sent since Friday night!).
    OK, back to business...might go see pony after all, I got my eBay won spring rug this morning by courier, so might get the thick rug off him, put the light waterproof one on and not worry about him if I can't get to him during the week cos he wont' be too hot or getting too wet!

#karen# Guest

Solids - I'm starting Nathan at 4 months, did so with my other 2 and no allergies, Paed also recommended 4 months. Read an article in medical journal that leaving it too long to introduce solids increases risk of allergies but I think this was more like 9 months.
    Wow 6 months ago little Ronan was born and 5 months ago it was Nixon, how time flies.
    Well done Cody for rolling, how exciting. nathan gets his legs really high and twists them a bit so he's trying, but not quite there.
    Went back to dr today he suggested drixine nasal spray, he didn't want to give me any more antibiotics as I have had so many lately and for the 1st time in weeks I feel half human now.
    Is there a prize for the 1st to conceive? Don't know if we are going again or not. I say no but dh says maybe.

aaaaah lovely... blissfully quiet... both boys asleep... Verity down the street somewhere playing with neighbours... can only hear birds One minute it was chaos... the next it's the "eye of the storm" ( <-- my term for midday when naps occur LOL).

No biccys in the house so making up a quick batch of shortbread... no castor sugar either (didn't do a shop on the weekend... doing it tonight)... using brown sugar instead... at least it's finer than the raw sugar we have... bit of an experiment... let's see what happens... I'm sure it will be edible!

IK: Well done having a stint away again! I hope Oscar is feeling better... you're right, the more sleep the better... your body heals and grows when it sleeps, but I'm sure you knew that. Hey have you read the thread on the MiEssence products Kelly has discovered? It's the same company that makes that In-Liven probiotic superfood Nic and I are taking.... well they make skincare/hair care products too that sound exactly what you need (no nasty chemicals) as I said, there's a thread here in BB about it and I'm about to place an online order for some myself (exfoliator/shampoo)... it's very well priced too.

Ok... going to decide what shape I'm going to cut these biccys... what would taste better? traditional petticoat or little rectangles like on the box of rice flour?.... or should I raid the play-dough container and clean the heart shaper cutter or even the whale shape (to remind me not to eat too many of them because I'll look like one if I do! LOL)

Another wild and woolly day in perth, perfect weather for getting things done around the house (if I can be bothered).
    Dh and I went and did the grocery shopping this morning, and decided to try shopping fortnightly as apposed to weekly, and OMG did we see a difference ( I guess the real test will be how many times we need to go to the shop because we have run out of things) however, we managed to get a fortnights worth of stuff for about $60 more than it would cost to just buy for a week. I am hoping that it works out, and we can stick to a fortnightly shop because I detest grocery shopping and would happily cut down the amount of times we have to go.
    I amgoing to go shortly and rearrange the pantry because we have so much stuff in there that doesnt get used, and it is wasteful! Then if I am feeling energetic still I will do some baking before I get the lambshanks ready in the oven for dinner tonight!
    Had a great catch up with my old school friends yesterday, it is so nice to catch up with different people that you dont see very often, because there is always something new and interesting to talk about.

Solids: We wont be starting till around 6 months. I would like to have Tori well onto solids by the time I go back to work, but that wont be untill early Feb, so I am going to give myself 6 odd weeks to get her going on solids before then.

TTC I cant wait to have another, but probably wont start trying again untill oct/nov next year so that I can spend some time back at work earning a bit more money. Hopefully we will be lucky and fall quickly like we did this time but who knows.

Anyway I am off to do my jobs before my enthusiasm disappears and nothing gets done again!

very funny re: the whale, Bath!
    It was actually the other mummies who reminded me that sleep is healing - I was going to let him sleep anyway cos a sleepy Oscar was not a crying Oscar, so it was good to get confirmation of that. The car trips were the worst cos he'd be on his back and whatever mucus to air ratio that was happening was not conducive to being on his back (in fact, just had another screaming episode before when changing his nappy - wanna give that air in his belly what for!!), so yesterday when we left the house after check-out instead of putting him in the car to get to town I decided to meet the girls there and walk up. He was still awake when I left, but the 10 minute brisk walk in the HAB had him asleep and content. The others then drove to the market and I walked with another one of us to avoid the car again! Was great to walk and it was lovely weather. By the time I put him in the car to get to the Chocolate Mill (!!!) he was asleep, but then he woke and cried again, but at least it was for hunger and not out of pain.
    Yep, I've heard of MiEssence and I have some products that were sent to me by my 'sister in the sky' (like a sister to us and she's a flight attendant, hence the moniker!), who is also a distributor, and sent me some stuff for me and some Gaia baby products for Oscar when I told her I was pregnant (loving the talc and the shampoo - it's been great for his mild cradle cap). I love my body wash, haven't tried the deodorant yet and she sent me a CD about InLiven - yet to try it. I'll check out the price of the shampoo and conditioner next time I'm in Belgrave (nearest stockist), but I'm also enjoying my Alba products. Unfortunately, as much as I like them, they are a US product (albeit Hawaii) and it would be nice to spend Australian. They are also not as expensive as MiEssence but them's the breaks.
    Might not make it to the pony after all. I'm still in pj's - had a nap with the boy then he woke for a feed and change and now he's asleep again after his cry. I'm loathe to upset the apple cart by putting him in the car - where this time I'll be driving and can't keep my hand stroking his face and head! Maybe DP can help me out there when he gets home. If he can keep the boy asleep then I could be there and back before he gets hungry again...or DP could just come with me and I can sit in the back with the boy. Sometimes I just need an extra hand and have to admit defeat!
    Four months seems too soon to be starting Oscar on solids - that's only four weeks away! I'm comfortable to wait until he can at least sit up by himself - I figure that if he can't sit up he shouldn't be eating what could just get stuck in his throat. I know I can't eat properly lying down!
    ETA: not that I'd feed him lying down! I meant that I take his not sitting up as an evolutionary sign that he's not ready for solids. Geez, that could read all wrong without the edit!!
    I hate that I've had to introduce something other than breastmilk into his system already, in the form of the Infacol and even the gentler Colic Relief. What can I say, I am just a huge fan of breastmilk, especially my own! Disclaimer - this applies to me and Oscar, I'm not saying I think this needs to apply to everyone. If someone is comfortable doing solids at 4 months it's because they know their own child and what suits their situation. I'm just not going to do it until later in the piece. And he doesn't look like he'll need supplementation for a good while yet.
    Gonna pay some bills online now...
    Might fold laundry after putting on some trackies (to make me feel like I've progressed today!).
    Last edited by Smoke Jaguar; September 18th, 2006 at 03:19 PM.

Well Hi again

Had an uneventful weekend and Matt finally mowed the lawn after a 6 month spell - one downside to having all this rain.

Still got my cold but its slowly getting better. Did 6 hours of baby sitting last night as a neighbour and her hubby went to see the "Count Down Spectacular" and she said it was great. WEll I would be jealous except we got Billy Joel tickets and I don't think he's likely to come to Australia again in a hurry after this tour.

Cee-cee: Thanks for your tip on the ginger tea - will have to try it but my next shopping day is Wednesday and I hope the cold will be gone by then.

Racs & NIckers: Congrats on your little men turning 5 and 6 months. They must be more fun than 3 month olds!

Aleise is only starting to hold onto any toys I give her - for about 10 seconds anyway. She's pulling on her babyswing toys (that makes it light up and triggers music). Kinda hoping she uses her left hand soon - she's definately right handed as that right hand toy surely is a favourite!

Jaspen: How's the spring weather in Tsv? Gee I really miss it this time of year! I used to live 2 streets away from the Strand and loved my daily walks. Also used to ride my bike to work (used to work for EPA at Pallarenda) when it wasn't too windy that is.

Bath: How do you keep your figure with all that wonderful stuff you cook darls? I made a gluten free cake on Friday and its half gone! Matt hasn't had much of it either!

Still no word from Tanya (Tulip) yet? Wonder what she's up to?

Well not much else to report - will go out for a walk now Aleise is up and has been bathed.

*Hugs to all*

neeny: in answer to your question: I don't drive! I walk everywhere... would be the size of a house otherwise! Am about to wake wade now and make a mad dash to the dentist!

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Jaspen - that is such a good tip "if something with an unsuitable sauce (took meat and veges out and mushed before adding sauce ingredients etc" I will have to remember that. I don't think I am allowed to post a web address here, just do a google search for MooGoo and it should come up.

IK - that is what I have, it is around my hair line, dr told me not dandruff, but dandruff shampoo seemed to help a little bit. I also take fish oil, EPO and flaxseed oil to help, however I've done that for years, it was really the moogoo shampoo that stopped my flaky scalp. Still take the oils, it is suppose to be good for Ally's brain development?

Baths - you are a great cook honey, i'm so not inspired atm. there is even nothing for dinner... ho hum..

Me: I'm going away on Thursday for a week up north to visit Mum & Dad. Dad saw Ally when she was a day old, but has not seen her since, my sister's kids are going to meet her for the first time as well, very exciting! I started to pack Ally's bag, and realised that she has grown out of all her 000 clothes (esp. with a cloth nappy on), I decided to pick out 7 outfits and see if they fit, well, all the next set of clothes are tops / pants / skirst etc... No more jumpsuits? My little baby is getting to be a little girl.. Ohhhh it is all going too fast. Where did the time go?

cant stay long Nixon is grumpy!
    Paed told me to start Trying Nixon on solids @ 6months actuall age instead of 6 months correct (so actually 7.5) to try and help with the reflux. so over the next 4 weeks will be slowly starting If Nixon wants it that is!
    bf is almost over i think, the least 2.5 days i have troubles EVERY feed, so i am now going to express for as long as i can until i get sick of that (hopefully make it to 6 monhs)its gotten to the point i couldnt bf him when we are out because he screams and kicks and gets all worked up.
    Nixon seems to be a bit more alert then a 3.5month old (his corrected age) but development wise he is still just all your bubs neeny. his newest thing is smiling at anyone that he can see to get their attention! ofcourse it does and they start talking to him, well he just thinks thats great and keeps on charming them lol!!
    ok he is screaming the house down better get back to him.

Cee Cee - thanks for the Moo Goo heads up...I just ordered some products! Seems to be really good and more cost effective than the Miessence shampoo and conditioner. Ordered the milk wash, too, as my Miessence stuff is at about half a 250ml bottle (and would cost more than the 500ml wash of the Moo Goo to replace). Gonna give it a go and I bought a soap bar for my dad, who has psoarisis. I'll let you know how it goes!
    Gonna try to have a nap now. Gave up on the idea of heading out to the paddocks with Oscar. He's been asleep since about 2.30 and hasn't made hungry noises yet. Might have a drink before laying down. I LOVE this HAB!!!

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Nic - hugs honey, you HAVE done so well to B/F this far - given everything you should be so proud of yourself...

have to go,witching hour...

yeah, IK, hope you like them, you will smell yummy enought to eat!

I meant to say b4, i will try and still bf first feed & maybe last feed if he will let me. the only time ive had less hassels with Nixon is the 1st feed, so i will continue with that & then express through out the day. i do feel a little sad, i want to keep going, but i feel ive tried everything, spoken to numerous ppl for ideas, none of them r working. but i am proud that i made it to 5months because i didnt even think i was going to b able to bf. I am extremley proud of my boy to seings when he was born he didnt even know how to suck. so he has done so well & if he is finished with trying then i'll let him have that, he deserves a pat on the back for his acheivments!

CeeCee- where abouts u going?you'll have so much fun! i was gonna suggest if we could meet up when i am in syd but looks like u will b away to! dh family lives at engadine & gymea & someone? mentioned bundeena didnt they?

i bought Nixon's 1st swim outfit today! we are starting lessons when we get back from syd going to be so much fun!

i agree with you IK that everyone will know when their baby is ready to start solids.
    The recommendation is not to start until 6months but some babies might go earlier, some later. Its like saying all adults should eat dinner @ 7pm! well a lot might but some may wanna eat at 6 and others at 8! gee back when we were babies our mums were told to start at 6weeks or something silly! it the long run though we all turned out ok so if someone started feeding solids to their baby @ 4 or 5 or 7 months instead of 6 i think they would be ok.

Bath- oh Wade!!! i hope the carpet didnt end up too wet.... everytime i read what he gets up to i think oh my wont be too long and Nixon will be doing this sort of stuff!

I'm checking out Moo Goo too DH has psoriasis around his hairline too... seems to be related to stress... could be his diet (he hasn't done the elimination thing yet)... sounds good! Hopefully cheaper/better than Nizoral 2 % which is what he uses at the moment.

All clear at the dentist... knew it would be... remember I had that obsessive toothbrush cleaning thing when i was pregnant? LOL I told him about that... never heard of it before.

Nic: I agree with the others... you've done so sooo well BF Nixon despite those issues. He will really benefit just you wait and see... you might find that he shares your food preferences too... even if you like really spicy things because the flavours go through into your milk. I'm deliberately eating lots of strong flavours so that Niall will share his brother and sister's broad eating habits. Makes life easier when it comes to introducing solids and cooking the same meal for everybody. Even though Verity started off being a difficult feeder it wasn't because she was fussy... she just wouldn't sit still long enough... or simply eat enough of anything! Always too busy wanting to do other things... even to this day I have to say to her: "Sit when you are eating!!!" Hint: get you child to sit still from day one when eating and don't compromise. If you let them wander around when eating it creates all sorts of problems: choking risk increases, food spillage, stashing food in hidden places and being discovered only when it starts to emit a rancid stench, smudges all over walls and glass surfaces etc. Also they don't seem to notice (apparently) that they are full/satisfied especially if it's eating in front of the TV which contributes to childhood obesity. Wade will wander if you let him and occassionally I will allow him to take food outside and wander about (like a drippy piece of watermelon) but we're only human I guess... still I have focused on this more than i did with verity and it has helped... I'm going to be even more strict with Niall... poor little guy LOL

Well we had tofu and vegies in a mild creamy tomato curry sauce with flat rice noodles for dinner tonight... Wade loved it... said "I want more toe food" LOL I'm starting this new regime about eating according to your blood type to see if can help clear up a few lingering health issues... like a sinus issue. Does everyone know their blood type? I've got to find out what the kids are... and DH wants to find out his. I'm A+.

ETA: the brown sugar shortbread turned out really well! Just tried a little bit as I handed over a bit to verity who has to go to bed soon. So there you go... an interesting variation if you don't have castor sugar in the house.

Hmm, blood type theory, eh? Is that a variation of the ayurvedic body types approach to good health?
    Oscar in HAB again - fed him and he was clearly upset about something in his little body so he went in screaming and didn't take long to snuffle into my boobs. He has lost most of his voice, but still spends quite a bit of awake time smiling and engaging...until something starts to niggle him on the inside I want my happy baby back.
    Feeding habits - my mum wants to get us Oscar's high chair, but I am really quite partial to the chairs that attach to the table, to bring Oscar to the family dinner from day one. Don't think it can be too soon to get a baby used to mealtime conventions and integrating with everyone else, as opposed to eating separately, at different times and no-one to model habits from if there's no-one else around eating at the same time. GF's baby has a habit of throwing his food to the floor from his high chair, in between putting it in his mouth and whilst I agree with not getting mad at him, being in the high chair still (age 2) is not really teaching him that it's not what should be done with food. The 'problem' here is that when he goes to other places he throws food around...and not everyone (ahem, using myself as an example) has a vacuum cleaner dog to pick up the food! My dog isn't very foody and doesn't eat bits off the ground (a disgrace, I know, but he's just been fussy since a puppy when he developed pneumonia) and when GF leaves with her boy it's a matter of extracting squished food from the rug. I mean, hell, I can put up with it cos I love them dearly, but it will be embarrassing for her as he gets older and she has to try to find a way to teach him the difference between what's acceptable at home (and it won't be acceptable for Oscar to do this at our home, for aforementioned dog reasons!) and what is acceptable elsewhere. Therefore, I'm going to work on DP about the table chair - he seems to think it will mark the antique table, but they all have rubber stops on both sides.
    Might go and lie down with this poppet again. Or I might do laundry. I'm a bit weary myself so we'll see which wins out - laundry or nap!
    Bath - blood type is O neg, common as muck!
    Last edited by Smoke Jaguar; September 18th, 2006 at 08:46 PM.

Ah type O: yes, you benefit from eating meat except pork and ham... O's also don't really do well with too much dairy and most nuts aren't good except walnuts (lots have a neutral effect, but peanuts are bad)... they struggle with a lot of whole cereals except oats, rice bran, barley and a few others...most vegies are good or neutral but avocado, eggplant, mushrooms, potatoes and sweetcorn can have negative effects... how does this seem? Apparently people often actually prefer the foods that they should be avoiding even though they don't really agree with them. This is how I am with dairy (A's are meant to avoid them even more so than O's).

High chairs: I recommend Peg Perego's (sp?) Prima Pappa chairs... reclinable seat, double tray (one fits over the top of another so that when junior makes a total mess you can lift off the top one and take it to the sink whilst giving him another snack or toy etc on the bottom one... they can also be lowered to ground level so if you are sitting on the floor they can join you at that level. Anyhow they are slightly more expensive than average but ours is as good as new despite serving us through Wade's babyhood. Wade btw is now sitting on an old fashion high chair with the tray totally removed at the table. IK: with the table attaching ones you might find that the ammount of time using them is limited at the start and the end ie they don't (usually) offer as much support for a young baby and your child might grow out of it faster than what you need... it's good though to have one as well as a high chair for visiting friends etc....easier than lugging around a highchair, which is what we sometimes do but we have a stationwagon. You might think it's odd that we do that but Wade loved sitting in his and it really kept him out of trouble at friends/relatives houses that weren't child-proof.... also saves your arms from holding them all the time. Edit: yes! Like Dee says below: it's important that a high chair be easy to clean (I hose down ours too) because food gets trapped into every imaginable crevice and can become mouldy and yuk if it can't be reached during cleaning.
    I also meant to say that I hope Candy's dinners went well over the weekend... she was a little uncertain about it all... hope it all went well darl!

Hi everyone, I hope everyone has been prodding along fine. Been pretty busy here as you can imagine. Nate is growing big and is a bit of a chubby bubby. The girls are great. Don't really have time to scratch myself at the moment and I hope to catch up with you all soon, but I'm off the Charters Towers for the School Holidays this week and will be back in about two weeks. I see everyones talking solids, I have started my babies at varies ages depending on when they demanded it, I think you know when they are ready. Nathan is still Breast feeding like a trooper 3 months tomorrow (sniff sniff my little man is growing up) and I really can't see me introducing solids before 6 months at this stage. I still have heaps of milk. It is going really well for us. What I am going to buy this week in Townsville though is one of those mesh baby teether feeder, shaped like a dummy but it has a little mesh pouch and you can put bits of fruit either fresh or frozen in it and baby can suck and gnaw at it without choking, they are excellent. This way they get the goodness of the fruit and releif for their gums with out the risk of choking. I love them. They are a little expensive at nearly $10 each but really worth it. You can probably pick them them up cheaper in ToysRUs or Big W. Well little mr Unsettled is up and demanding a feed see ya, I will hopefully log back on before we go.
    Bye Dee

Edit
    High Chaira - I have a childcare brand one very similar to the Peg Perago (SP?) I can't remember what it cost as we bought it fo Allanah Four years ago nearly, but we bought it from target. So not that expensive It is excellent as like the Peg Parego one the seat reclines and the height is fully adjustable too (Up and right down). I can hose mine off totally if needed, which I try to do weekly and just wipe with a cloth everyday after a meal. the top tray is removable with a small tray underneath and fits perfectly under our table so they can sit in there at the table with us. Melissa is still using it and will continue to for a few months yet she will be two in Late November and has just started toilet training (Thank goodness as it is a bit of a strain with two babies in nappies) and sits at the table on a booster seat for lunch with sissy and mummy just like a big girl. I want her at the table before Nathan starts to use the high chair so that she doesn't feel forced out. My baby girl is really growing up. I can't believe she is nearly 2.
    Ok tired of typing one handed, going for a shower and off to bed, night all
    Ta Dee

Hi Dee good to see you... hope your trip to Charters Towers goes well... we're not going away it'd be lovely to get out of the city for a while. Good that you mentioned cleaning high chairs... the easier the better! Unless you want to cultivate your own pennicillin (mould) under the padded seat! LOL

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast