Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2006 #11

Candy: Caucasian type O's are meant to avoid dairy too... even more so than type A's... however butter, feta and goat's cheese are ok. Highly beneficial foods for type O's include olive oil, walnuts, garlic, parsley, plums, pineapples, curries, ginger, and peppermint tea (just as examples... there are heaps others) these foods act like a medicine for your system... type O blood is the Original blood type so think "caveman" food ie you also digest animal proteins the most efficiently. Whereas type A blood first arrived when man's diet became more based on the products of Agriculture... anyhow I won't go into it all again... but these are the basics. How come you can't deal with dairy Candy?

Dee: I'm thinking of you as I potter away here in my kitchen cooking a curry for dinner... I really don't know what to suggest but I also hope you can get an early appointment darl... wish you lived in Melbourne so you could come over and chill out here... wouldn't bother me if Lachlan cried but at least you could hand him over to me to hold him for a while while you could at least have a cuppa! Hang in there and vent here as much as you need to darl (((hugs)))

thanks for that Bath - its weird, i dont even know you but if i could i would get on a plane tomorrow and happily hand my son over to you while i have a cuppa. Strange isnt it!

Candy - i kind of know my way around wollongong so i would surely find the park. Me and DF are in debates about where to get married, i would like to get married close to home somewhere on the beach etc but he would like to do it in sydney so its more convenient for family and friends etc. The problem with having it near home is that everyone will want to stay at our place (rude i know) and there really isnt anywhere for anyone to go out afterwards so i guess in sydney, people can either party on or go home and not have to pay for accomodation. Hmmmm decisions decisions!!
    I already know what type of dress i would like and also how i want my hair done etc (even though i chopped it all off on monday!!) but just organising it is hard. I will have to set some time aside!

Yeah I know Dee... I think we all know that we're honest, trustworthy people because we've almost known each other for nearly a year now! We've known every detail of each others lives... know that we haven't had time or the ability to be off doing dastardly deeds! Confessed all our sins to each other! LOL

I've just posted a piccy of one of my fabric nappies showing the triangular nylon liner... I know not many are using clothies but I thought I'd show you what i've used with all my babies... I'll kind of miss them too! (piccy in Niall's site)

Wade and Niall slept for 4 hours straight this afternoon!!! WooHoo... got that curry finished and also made a pineapple cake from scratch and folded all my nappies! Pure bliss.... what a contrast from yesterday!

*Kristee* Guest

Hey Girls,
    IK i also started a psychology course but couldn't continue because of the above mentioned situations.
    I know i should talk about what happened to me but i just Can't i can't bring myself to!!! The stuff that happened to me when i was real youung like from 18mnths till 10 i have blocked out what happened and therfore now i can't remember anything that happened in that period of my life....NOTHING,...b'days,christmas anything its just blank.
    I won't have to worry about Tee thinking it's wrong to talk about it because she will never know it happened to me....thats is for damn sure.
    I cannot go to councillers as 99% of the time it is just straight textbook **** and you can tell. Plus one of my bad incidents happened to be when i went and saw a counciller.....i would try and talk if only i had someone who i trusted and actually took an interest but then again i'm not sure.
    I think i don't talk about it because my mum told me at 12 that i was just ***ing lying and stuff. Plus that sent me into self mutilation so at present i have 218 scars all over my body.

Just finished reading all your posts.....so exciting organising weddings but stressful at the same time....i think i have my dress picked out, i have my junior bridesmaid's dress picked out other than that i'm stuffed i basically know the colours and have to go from there....doesn't help that half the bridal party is from here to timbukto!!

Tarleha has been sleeping for at least 11 hrs a night too. it's so good. last night she slept for to long though....she went to bed at 12:30pm and didn't wake till bout 11:45 this morning. mummy's girl that one sleep all day!! And PJ's sometimes if i don't have to go anywhere i will wear them all day as they are so comfortable.
    Anyway betta go.

Kristee-lea - 21
    Tarleha Maye - 29/06/06
    Tying the knot 7th April 07
    TTC March/April (unofficially Dec onwards)

Cee_Cee99 Guest

hi girls,
    just a quick one to say hi, I'm returning home from holidays with the folks tomorrow, I need to go back to page 2 to read all the notes.. just wanted to say Hi, let you know all is well and look forward to catching up with all the gossip tomorrow - or as many days as it takes to read 9 pages!!!!!!!!!!! (back to cloth nappies tomorrow, Mum had bought me a box of Huggies for the holdiay, dam they are easy, I will miss them)....

KL, I am with IK and really hope you can talk through your past with someone. My family has a history of abuse and awful stuff happening so I kinda know where you are coming from. My mum always says "what's the point of talking about stuff - it doesn't make it go away or any easier to deal with", but I think it must. Big hugs to you, whenever you need to talk we are here

Bath, I heard from someone that the triangular fold on Niall's site should not be used in a car seat - apparently it is a Vic Roads directive - that type of fold can cause pelvic damage! Maybe you should check it out? Have I mentioned this before? I am having dejavu....

Had another good day, but a little lacking in the "work" department (at this rate I am going to have to do my 7.5 hours for this week all in one hit, rather than nicely spreading the hours out over the week). Work is just cutting into my social life too much (LOL!!) Today was mothers group and a nice walk, tomorrow I am going to the show with my mum and a friend and her daughter, Friday.....hmm, maybe should do work then.

Flynn has been a fake baby again - last night he slept from 9pm till 5.30am (he did stir at 4am, but briefly) Absolute bliss!! That said, a woman at mothers' group has a daughter (5 months) who slept for 16 hours!!! (bed at 8pm, woke at 9am for a feed and slept till 12 noon) where the hell do I order one of those???? sounds like Tarleha is a good gril like that!

better go - wana get some sleep before Flynn's rollover feed at 11pm......

ciao bellas

Emishka good to see you back, can't wait for a catch up of what you've been up to, don't worry to much about Caitlyns weight, I think Cody only weighs 5.5kgs but he is quite long also.

Wow three junes planning weddings how exciting. It's funny that it was mention by Dee and Bath I would trust all you lovely ladies with my kids, even tho I haven't met you in real life.

Candy thanks for that, they are cute if I do say so my, but I'm bias.

Well I've just finished feeding Cody so I'm off to bed for the night.

hugs xoxo

Well hi all!

It's pretty late and I'm just posting a quickie..

Had Aleise weighed today she's 6.180kg (about double her birth weight)
    Head is 42cm (I think) and Length is also 63cm! So apparently she's average. So much for SILs comment about being chubby!

KL: No matter what you think those things that happened to you (whether in your childhood or recently) NEED to be dealt with. Depression is in my family and I've had to seek medical help for it for a while now. Even though no violence has occurred in my life I have had counselling and from time to time been on medications. No one can carry all that weight alone and still come out fine - you're NOT wonder woman darls! We're all very concerned for you and I think you know that. Remember we are only human after all!

Aldi Nappies: Cost about $17.00 for like 56 and they last me almost two weeks. That's the same price for all sizes.

Nickers; Happy pregnancy anniversary! Mine is 29th of September but I suspected from 25th (matt's birthday). So Aleise is Matt's birthday present (conception I mean).

Sorry no more personals its nearly midnight. Aleise has daycare tomorrow and hopefully it will go better. She's enjoying the roll to the side and nearly rolled on her side by herself today. She's on tummy time for a whole minute now and she raised her head and bum yesterday!

Well that's all for now.. nightie night all *Hugs*
    Neeny xoxo

Neeny - good luck to Aleise for daycare!
    KL - yep, it's me again. Sorry, like I said, I'm a lost cause for wanting to help (I have chronic volunteerism, I think it needs to be recognised as a disorder). Listen up, sweetheart, you would not have lasted this long (no, not even to 21 years of age) if your brain didn't do something creative at that age and put those memories somewhere you couldn't reach them for some time. No child could ever survive if they realised what was happening, so the brain is quite a life saver really, and puts it all away...but not forever. Trust me. The fact that you are acknowledging now what happened then probably indicates that you are ready, or will be soon, to take those memories from wherever they are and to do something with them. Acknowledge what happened, go back to it (in a safe and trusting environment, of course) and take control of it before they decide to take on a life of their own. And they will. Don't think you can fool yourself into believing you can control those powerful memories indefinitely. Early childhood sexual abuse ALWAYS alters brain chemistry - empirical research shows different chemical activity in sexual assault survivors from control groups (of people who have not experienced it). It HAS to, or like I said, no kid could continue to live - classic survival mechanism. It doesn't surprise me at all that you couldn't get through a psych degree, but you probably could if you dealt with it. And if you wanted to. But it's probably wise to avoid this career! And you know what? Do Tee a favour, and tell her one day what happened to you. Don't cheat her - she'll grow up and know, even if only at the back of her mind, that something is up with you that you're not telling her. If you tell her when she's well grown it will put together a few things. If you tell her too soon it could cause her anxiety, so I would wait for mid to late teens, unless she asks questions before that - especially if she's showing signs of risky behaviour earlier. Kids pick up on things you think you've got a tight lid on. Anyway, we like you and we're concerned that you're trying to cheat yourself (and you always cheat your kids if you cheat yourself). Give yourself more credit, girly! You are worth fixing, beautiful mummy. This is probably bugging you by now, but just remember that this is a virtual community so you can say anything you like about what you now remember and how you feel about it. I am SOOOO sorry that a counsellor is part of your trauma, I just wanna cry (actually, I already did that). Read this very carefully: if you need someone to talk to, let me know and we'll find a way for me to refer you to someone. I've got resources Do you think you could trust enough to consider my proposal? Anytime you decide, let me know and I'll do some groundwork to find someone who can refer you. Kristea-Lea, you deserve better than this, especially as you enter a new phase in your life - a mummy, and soon a wife! Please give yourself a chance to be the mummy and wife you WANT to be by facing the past, giving it the finger and a proper place to reside so that your future is freer. You hurt yourself, Tee will ask about that - what do you plan to tell her? Believe me (my mum proves this to me all the time and she doesn't even fully realise it), you can run, but you sure as hell can't hide - it follows till you stop, turn around and say "I know what you are, I'm not afraid and this is MY life, dammit". I don't know if you are familiar with Sue Ann Post's life (the lesbian, mormon, recovering alcoholic sexual abuse survivor comedian...that's her self-description!), but I went to a workshop she gave recently about damage. She has a book about 'stuff', I'll try to find the details. Even reading that might give you a bit more freedom. You know you are damaged, and damaged people affect other people until they learn to live with what's happened to them. You don't just deal with it and get over it, cos it doesn't just disappear, but you can learn to put it in a better place. Sorry for the lecture, you've probably heard it all before and now I've gone and said it all again. Honestly, do it for yourself and do it for your daughter. You need to believe that you deserve better, ok?
    Sorry Kelly, I've hijacked your forum and turned it into a Dr Phil moment. Promise I'll try to stop this caper
    Goodnight girls, I've foolishly gone on too long and it's gone from being midnight to past 1am...
    ETA: Sorry, Sue Ann Post is an EX-mormon etc...!
    Last edited by Smoke Jaguar; September 29th, 2006 at 12:12 AM.

Nah, you don't need to apologize IK You honestly deserve a BB award for the most caring and well written posts. How come you don't seem to suffer from Mushy Mummy Brain? LOL If only I could think with such clarity these days... all my thoughts just seem to get lost in the noise and chaos generated by my children! Speaking of which I've got a few issues to deal with here ATM but I look forward to getting back here soon...

Oh and Dee: I'm not online all the time as my green light seems to indicate... I usually log on at about 8-9am and stay logged on all day (we have broadband) until my DH switches the 'pute off at night when he comes to bed. I kinda keep an eye on BB throughout the day inbetween doing my jobs and dealing with the kids... I sometimes even leave BB logged on when I go out!

Oh and Rory: What????? a fabric nappy being a pelvic risk in a car seat? I'll check it out but geeze i can't imagine why... I use disposables when i go out anyhow so it doesn't affect me.

Bath, the cloth nappy thing is this. The 'newborn fold' (the rectangle with the triangle in it and the folded bit in the middle, is not safe for travelling in vehicles because there's too much gap between the seat and the lower back, creating an arch. They recommend you use an older fold for the carseat, like the kite or the triangle, both of which drive me nuts cos they tend to need fasteners (that I can't manage with flannies!). I think Rory either thought you meant the newborn triangle cloth when you were talking about the triangular shaped liner (which would be just one layer, not several, or it just reminded her of the warning about newborn folds and thought it would be a timely reminder. I got a weird look about it the other weekend when I said I had to change Oscar's nappy for the car (was very good, used 3 sposies and the rest cloth that weekend...used the house's well appointed laundry to wash them before I left for home, too!). One of the other mummies knew what I meant, but I had to say that I had sposies on hand in case no-one could figure it out while I was getting my treatments. It's a relatively recent finding.
    My house is COLD! I'm trying to get a fire going.
    I feel wretched - got an irritated throat again (maybe did too much yesterday), but I have more of a voice. Oscar is congested again and there's only so much those aspirators can do without me causing damage! Little mite just has to put up with hanging out in the HAB all day again to let him sleep it off as much as he can. I was engorged last night for the first time in more than a week - he's so off his feeding is irregular. At least I got to be assessed and I didn't have to use light speed to get out of the gas suit using Fire Ground Practices (was still quick an accurate though, cos I'm SO good!). One of the assessors had a panicked look on his face when I walked in after DP did. He didn't piece together that we were together and he was asking me if 'she' (I let it go) would be quiet while the 'guys' (there were 3 other girls there apart from me, and one more due to arrive) did their theory test. To make him feel better I took Oscar out again and got him to sleep in the HAB. When he was marking my paper he then asked how I was going to do the practical. I said "Daddy can babysit" and pointed outside - he seemed immediately relieved and was a lot more relaxed with me afterwards. He ended up being really nice, so I felt a bit bad about telling DP I thought he was an ignorant b* earlier in the night! Everyone else assessing has kids, so they had no problem. My biggest problem was feeling crap and thinking I should do the assessment another time, but then I thought I just wanted to get the damn thing over and done with. Plus, I romped in the theory and I never even looked at the book...somehow).
    Believe me, Bath, I get mushy brain as good as anyone else can!
    My afternoon with my mum was interesting. I fed Oscar before leaving for a hospital physio appointment and my mum came with me to mind Oscar. She did a good job, though if he's in a good mood he's anybody's (that's a bit harsh on my mum, actually - she DID do a good job!). Anyway, I suggested we go for something to eat locally. Oscar started to whimper and I said he'd be hungry. She asked if I was going to go home to feed him and I said 'no' in the tone of "that's a bit of a waste of petrol and time". She then asked, tentatively, "are you going to feed at the cafe?" to which I replied (wait for it...) "yes". She asked if I had some sort of towel or sheet to cover myself with and an 'discussion' ensued about being discrete, not being vulgar, having respect for myself, conventions of a society (I LOVE that one, cos she still thinks it's useful to use when trying to sway me her way of thinking!) etc. So, trying not to PML, I said that it was discriminatory to try to make me 'cover up' and she went on about how that's what she doesn't like about me, that if I CAN do something I WILL. Well, there are worse things to not like about someone, so this nugget never affects me adversely. ANYWAY, we get there and Oscar starts up again. So, I go to get him and she keeps hold of him and imploringly asks me "will you use a towel or something?" and I reply in the negative. She gives him to me and says (whilst grabbing her bag, half-heartedly) "Well, I'm going then, I'm not drinking that coffee, you pay for the coffee". She stalls, and then goes to rise again when I start to undo my top and finally just says "I'm going to be in the next door shops until you finish, I can't stay here". It was SOOOOO funny, I was laughing while feeding Oscar when she left. She didn't talk about it again (but did make up stuff about my sister being upset by my advice to be sure she was making informed birth choices - my mum seems to think I'm some kind of birth nazi, when all I'm doing is saying 'you have choices, avail of them'...it could be true though, they both do the opposite of what I merely suggest as if to punish me...no skin off my nose if they don't want to listen to how I manage to deal with things easier than they do!), but then we went to a recycled baby shop (something else she used to regale me about, but this one seemed to change her mind...funny that) and I met up with my GF. Because I was only able to whisper anyway, I told her what happened about the feeding while my mum looked at bassinettes to take to my sister - we had a hearty chuckle (well, I wheezed...) over that one.
    OK, gotta clean up after brekky and get this fire going (yep, sunny and mild out, but I'm frozen and temp reads about 10 degrees inside...)

Geez this envelope is stretchy...here's me pushing it a bit more. KL - I was thinking, does your not breastfeeding have anything to do with how you feel about the intimate feelings associated with it? Forgive me if I'm way off, but I would suggest that not breastfeeding is an effect of your trauma...kids DO eventually ask about being formula fed, will you make something up, or tell her the truth? Remember that kids hate being lied to as much as they hate being called liars.
    Note to formula feeding mummies - I'm NOT saying that formula feeding is caused by trauma! But it is well known that most sexual trauma victims in Western society cannot cope with the thought of BFing for very distinct and painful reasons. This didn't happen to my mum because she is from a continent where breasts are not predominately sexualised and her trauma didn't affect feeding...but it affects her ideas about 'nudity'!
    Gotta go again...

ok i have to ask.......

all you lucky ladies that have babies that sleep long periods through the night, how long are their day sleeps for and how many do they have?

Lachlan wont sleep more than three hours but this is very rare, he sleeps through the day for about 40 mins (sometimes one hour if we are lucky) then will be up for an hour and get really tired then only sleep for a short time again etc etc, then come the night time he usually will get up from a sleep about 6 or 7pm and he wont go back to sleep (last night it took us til 10.30 to get him to sleep) you would think he would be so tired he would sleep but no, up again at 12.45am then 3.30 then 4.30 then 5.30 then 6.35!!!!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

#karen# Guest

Just a quick one Nathan is a bit unsettled today, can't complian tho, last 2 nights slept for 9 hrs. Boy my boobs are sore, so paranoid about getting mastitis again tho.
    KL - I hope you take ik up on her offer. we all care about you here and want to see what is best for you.
    Dee - my heart goes out to you i wish i could help.
    Has anyone heard from Jess?
    Nic - shame about dragons hey?
    Hi to everyone have read posts and am thinking of you all.

#karen# Guest

Dee - just missed your post. Nathan will only have one good sleep in day 2-3 hours and then just catnap at other times during day. The last feed of the day can be anywhere from 7 to 10 at night and I keep him on the boob until he is out(this can take a long time). I suspect he is using me as a dummy .Have got a lecture from clinic sister about this but I don't care it works for me.

Dee - I hope this makes you feel better...here goes: Oscar sleeps for very short perriods during the day if I put him in the bassinette. During the night we average a 2 hourly feed, but sometimes it can be about 3-4 hours. Usually 2 hours, though. We'll have a feed in the early morning, he'll sleep, wake for another some time after 8am, I'll get up, change him, put him in the HAB, get him to sleep, then I'll put him in my bed on his tummy and he'll usually sleep for about and hour or two before waking up hungry again. Sometimes I'll only get about half an hour out of that sleep, though and I have to race out of the shower to feed him (I'll dry myself, but I'll jump into bed nekked with my hair in a towel!). With the HAB I'll get him to sleep for about two hours while I do stuff before he gets hungry again. Sometimes longer. Without HAB, much shorter sleeps. So, I'm probably not getting much more sleep than you are, honey. However, there is a difference. I'm not anxious about it - it's not going to last forever and because he falls asleep on my chest (or sometimes HAB and I gently get us to the horizontal position and him out of HAB!) and feeds whilst mostly asleep, I get a better sleep and feel well-rested once I'm up in the morning. I'm going with the flow and just letting Oscar's system guide me. Really, it's not going to last forever. It always helps me to imagine a point in time when the current issue is a thing of the past. Like when I'm at the dentist, I imagine myself projected a couple of hours ahead when I will have forgotten the discomfort! Can you find a mums and babies yoga class to go to? Don't worry if Lochie cries, that's what these classes are for - just bite the bullet and take him out, change his scenery, give him something to digest Yeah, he might be upset, but he will be anyway, won't he? And remember my 'bite me' mantra if you THINK you're getting looks from other people. If they really want peace and quiet they should find some nice corner of their garden, cos out in public is not a good place to look for it!
    Take him to the beach, to a forest, to the park - somewhere you'll enjoy being. Give yourself a break, girly, try to work on happy mummy for Lochie to try to copy you, ok? That probably doesn't help, but I hope it does!
    ETA: Karen - LOL, everyone in my local breastfeeding group has been told this at one time or another and we have a good chuckle about how we can get our kids to sleep without torturing either party with the whole self-settling regime. Feed Play Sleep...gosh, if that happens it just coincidence cos I sure as hell don't try to remember or even implement it! Go girl, work with your boys, not with the books!
    Last edited by Smoke Jaguar; September 28th, 2006 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Clinic sisters, grrr

Dee: Many parents believe if they keep their babies/toddlers awake during the day it will increase the likely hood of them sleeping through the night. I know it defies logic but this is not how it works. From my own experience, from working in a creche and from reading it in some books the truth is that if you try to keep a child awake during the day they actually become overtired and over stimulated to the point that they just can't rest at night. It's a little bit like when you have done a long interstate driving stint and arrive at a motel thoroughly exhausted then waking up in the middle of the night with insomnia.

The best way to ensure a good night's sleep for anyone, baby, child or adult is through routine. the boob, bath, bed one is good of an evening but a routine should also include day time naps. Niall sleeps in 3 hour lots... generally... sometimes he is more awake during the day but that rarely coincides with a good night's sleep that night... on the times he has slept for longer stints at night he has also had sleepy days.

When I was working at the creche we often had parents ask us not to let their children nap during the day. I have to say that on a few occassions these children were soooo tired that we had to show some mercy and we let them fall alseep. We lied and said that they didn't nap then asked the parents the next day how they slept that night. The parents would frequently say "good actually". Sometimes I would "confess" and say that their child did actually have a nap the previous day because I had forgot to pass on the message to the relief staff. Sad that we had to play these games but the parents just wouldn't understand or believe us that allowing the child to set it's own agenda in terms of sleep was going to give them what they wanted which was an unbroken night's sleep themselves. Also sadly, these were often parents who would work long hours and actually WAKE the child up at 9pm when they got home to have a play because they hadn't seen them all day. Grrrr. Kids aren't computers, you can't just turn them off and reboot them when you need to.... makes me so angry. Anyhow, I know there has been a lot of negative talk about introducing routines with babies but I have found personally that it does ensure the best night's sleep... or at least it helps establish a pattern so you yourself know when you can guarentee a rest.

ETA: I agree with IK even though it seems I am contradicting her! When I say "try a routine" I mean that it should be one based on the child's needs. NOT a Gina Ford regime. Every child is different and will create their own pattern. What all little babies love is to have a vague idea of what's going to happen next. This makes them feel secure. I also heartily agree with introducing a change of scenery! Fresh air is very soporific! But most of all try and relax and believe IK when she says "it's not forever" this is so hard at 3am with a wakeful baby... I know I've been there! I also co-sleep more with Niall than I did with my other two which I think has helped make this the easiest "newborn experience" so far with my 3.

littlerigger Guest

Dee, Ryan only has 2 x 30 minute day sleeps. Has been that way for AGES and AGES though.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast