Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born in June 2006 #3

Hi Ladies, been a terrible day here!

Pat wasn't well last night and slept for 7 hrs without waking for a feed, kept him on the boob all night! Woke up this morning and to me he seemed to feed better and acted a bit better as well. Had to race to Shepp to change two pairs of school shoes and got home about 12. Pat seemed to have a temp so I took him in to see the emergency doctor, his temp was 37.8! He also had a problem with his trachea and he suggested we head over to the hospital straight away.
    Got over there and they put us in a resus cubicle, put the heart monitors, and resus monitors on him. All his sats were fine, but they wanted a Paed to see him.After an hour of waiting to see a paed, the doctors came back and said that the paed wanted him to stay in overnight.I said but he hasn't even seen him, I want to see him in one hour or I'm leaving. The Paed said he wasn't going to come in, so I left! The doctors said he had viral bronchiolitis and to keep fluids into him.

Happy 1 month Niall and Aneta!

Ooh that doesn't sound too good Jess. Hope Pat gets better, nothing worse when there is a sick baby in the house, it affects everybody.

Well Alex has had a good feed and is lying on his playmat, lets see how long that lasts a) before he crys and b) before DD finds him and wants to play/annoy him. As Bath said, hurry home DH!!

Hi Everyone,

Happy 1 month to Niall and Aneta! Wow the time has flown!!!

Nic, I checked out the pics of Nixon and he is just too cute! I wouldnt stress about his size. Honestly he looks great! Such a cheeky grin too.

Jess, sorry to hear that Patrick is not well! I hope he improves and that you dont have to go back to the hospital.

Gabysmum, dont beat yourself up about snapping at Gaby. I do it too but they are pretty resilient. I have been trying to be extra nice to her. It can get very testing with a newborn around!

I use Bepanthen cream for nappy rash. Actually I use it all the time even when there is no rash. My opinion is that prevention is better than cure.

Nic and Tulip, my friend got those casts done of her little girls hands and feet when she passed away. They came out lovely. They put them in a box frame with a phot. I think that cost her $250. Why not make one yourself?? You could do their feet and handprints with ink or paint. Get a little plaque with the birth date engraved and a nice photo. I think you can even but those frames somewhere. Might not look the same but it will mean a lot more. Just a suggestion.

I did Jack and Charlees feet and hand prints today. I have started scrapping their album. Plus I have tried to get Mias album started for this year. Seems the babies have a radar on them. Everytime i go near my desk they wake up or need a feed or something!

DH and I were playing with Charlee and she did the best smile and we mangaed to get a photo! Yay our first smile photo!

Anyway ladies I must go. Inlaws are coming up for tea so better get started!

Love to you all and your lovely babies.

Love Kel

The worse part is Gaby is that all the kids are sick, especially Tim!I hate being sick as well, I think I'll let DH cook tonight!

Oh forgot to add my cousin Mel had a baby girl this morning! Amara Jane, seven pond ten. And she only has nine toes! Her little toe on one foot is missing! I wonder how rare that is... I cant wait to see her on Tuesday when I go to Perth...

wow kel congrats on your cousin's little girl another play mate for Charlee & Jack!
    poor little girl missing a toe... i wonder how that happens? At least its the smallest tow yeah? i would think it would play a lesser role then the big or 2nd toe? Do they think it could hinder her development in walking?
    Yeah i wanna do some hand/feet prints b4 Nixon grows too much, so what sort of stuff did you use to do it? dont wanna use something thats hard to get off!

Jess- sorry to hear you and the kids are sick. Hope you all get better soon. 37.8 is pretty high isnt it. I know i was told anything over 38degrees should be taken straight to hosp.

Happy one month Niall & Aneta!!!

Nic, its so special! I was the first of my generation to have kids now we have another bub to spoil and love! I am glad she is only 7 weeks younger than jack and Charlee. I cant wait for them to meet her. I used an ink from a scrapping shop. it washes off easily in the bath. I did it when they were sleeping and I suggest that you try it when Nixon is in a deep sleep otherwise they clench their fists and it is near on impossible.

Sorry about Patrick, Jess
    Happy one month, Niall and Aneta!
    I'm wearing Oscar again and his head is hanging back and he's a bit asleep - his head doens't flop too far back, he's already got great neck muscles! Because of my non-experience with newborns I didn't even notice his strong muscles until my SIL said it. Then the maternal nurse commented on it, so I gotta be happy that he can carry himself even when I make a clumsy pick up of him!
    Lactation consultant appt was really good. He fed well from both sides, the little bugger, but the appointment was good if only to show me that I feed better in a straight backed chair. He also has a small measure of tongue-tie that we may end up doing something about - this is what's causing the ridges and cracking in each boob (one boob has ridging and the other has slight cracks!). All in all, glad I made that appt and when I see the maternal nurse tomorrow I hope to report successful feeding. The tongue-tie is really mild but I'd rather not have ridges and the subsequent vasospasm. I'll see how we go.
    I tells ya what, though, if there is something that's not going right, PLEASE don't wait until distress sets in - act on your early perceptions, get advice and nip it in the bud before it becomes a big problem! Tulip, you're a bit like me in that you'll accept a certain measure of pain until it becomes unignorable before doing anything about it (remember SPD? Seems so distant now, huh?).
    That reminds me, Tulip, how are your nipples going since the post where you mentioned the soreness? May I just heartily recommend getting yourself to a lactation consultant (should be one in your MCHN network), even if you think the problem is going away? I put it off for days because during the day it didn't seem so bad and when I needed to call (when we were having our last feed before bedtime, being detached in a panic from the pain and then having a teary breakdown) it was out of hours and the consultant's advice unobtainable! If it was just a 'me' problem I probably still wouldn't have done anything about it, but my boob pain affects Oscar so I can't afford to disadvantage him in order to be a martyr to pain!
    Oh, going to experiment with a new system - get ready for bed, change nappy, feed in lounge room THEN go to bed. The LC suspects that the get ready for bed, change nappy and feed in bed thing may not be working for us and that a change of location of the last feed might have Oscar more settled and settleable for bedtime. Nothing like bouncing ideas of someone who's career is babies!
    I have laundry to fold whilst the rice cooks and DP prepares dinner...

IK Alex had a tongue tie when he was born and it was cut on his 3rd day by the paed, took all of 30 secs and there was barely any bleeding and no infection or anything. We were told that it may/may not interfere with his feeding later in life and better to cut it now rather then later. Haven't looked back since.

Kel congrats on another baby in the family, in relation to the toe thing DH and I were just discussing how his cousins little girl (now aged 2) was born with 6 toes on one foot and how unusual that was. It was amputated soon after birth. So extra toes etc might be more common then we think.

Thanks, Gabysmum! Yeah, the LC said that if we left it and it affected his speech later on that it would have to be done under local cos the frenulum (sp?) is thicker then (about age 2-3), sooner rather than later if we are going to do it. I have a feeling that his mild tongue-tie is enough to be the cause of our discomforts, not just the feeding position, so we think we might just go ahead with it (trip into town, though!).
    Vigilante is at it again...I just reported a litter bug to the EPA (thrown from car onto road)...

IK- I find that it is much easier to feed and settle Tori if I get up and feed her on the lounge, we seem to have alot of trouble getting her to sleep if I feed her in bed, plus she seems to get more wind if I feed her laying down. So as hard as it is sometimes to force myself out of bed I have found it works much better for us.

Did my first grocery shop on my own today with Tori in the baby carrier and it went really well, she slept the whole time which was great. It is amazing how little achievemnts like that make you feel great, and such simple tasks like doing the grocery shopping actualley arent really that simple anymore.

Had a better day today, I actualley managed to get a few things done around the house. I cant believe how quickly the day goes, it seems as though time escapes and all the things i planned to do just dont get done........oh well, I guess there is always tomorrow!

Nitey nite everyone... Just had a shower with Niall, he still seems to really enjoy it... also he's stopped crying when we dress/change him on the change table now (that stopped over a week ago) so the whole experience is very relaxed; my favourite time of the day: when Niall is having his quiet alert time and the 2 older kids are in bed and I've got my (single nip of) medicinal Bailey's on the little table beside my rocking chair.

I'm going into the city tomorrow, perhaps to introduce Niall to DH's work colleagues, not sure... I'll have to see how things go (won't attempt it if the boys are unsettled). The main thing I want to do is buy a new set of really good quality sheets at the Myer sales (y'know those 1000 thread count hotel quality ones... the cheapo Target ones that DH and I bought when we first moved in together 12 years ago have finally worn too thin... guess they didn't do too badly for 250 thread count poly cotton afterall!). Maybe hang out at Borders (very child friendly book shop with a cafe) if Niall is asleep.

I agree Ali: there are so many simple things that you have to totally rethink when you have a baby with you! Well done tackling the grocery shopping! I can't say that will get any easier though!(for the next 10 years anyhow LOL unless you resort to Coles Online) My next prediction is that us Junies will be discussing the the world of public baby/parenting rooms! The good, the bad and the ugly... you gotta know where the nearest is at all times from this point on! From my experience, Myer have traditionally had good ones... I used to be kinda "anti" department stores until I had children... it's amazing how a good baby change room can change your mind LOL

Bathsheba - definitely go the Myer sale! There are heaps of cool things for real cheap. Check out the Miss Shop, too, for some cheap tops (polo style) at $10 each. There are also some cross over tops that may come in handy for feeding for the same price. Check out the ladies casuals section, too, for discounted Bonds long sleeve v-necks - I am finding these great for during the day (they pull up easily and I keep a gathered bust singlet that pulls down easily to that I can keep my belly covered from the cold) and also for wearing with my flannel pj pants. Buy cheap undies cos there are heaps! Kids clothes are heavily discounted, and while you're at it you may want to stock up on DH undies In shoes they have some cute Supersoft shoes for $60 - very worth it, I bought a pair for about this much (after staff discount and a percentage off sale) earlier this year and they really are super comfy. They have them in black, blue, green, red and cream.
    As for sheets, if you don't find anything (and I doubt that you won't), there is always next week's Aldi catalogue - damask 375 thread count quilt cover sets for $49 in cream, burgundy and latte. I'm trying to talk DP into it...I LOVE bed linen!
    Ali - Gonna try the new plan soon. I don't feed lying down in bed cos attachment isn't good enough for this to actually be comfortable yet! I was sitting up, but even though I was sitting up straight with two pillows behind me, the LC reckons the angle may still have been too sharp (Oscar sitting too high for my nipples) in bed. What I inadvertently did was pull a simple chair up to her desk because DP sat in the other swivel chair with Oscar. When she wanted to see me feed I just stayed put in that chair and voila! it was comfortable attachment!
    DP is lying on top of the bed and I've just finished a huge load of laundry folding. I'd like him to feed the dog, being that he's bailed on the vacuuming (sticking to my guns and midwife/nurse recommendation to avoid vacuuming till week 6) and I'm saving my sore shoulders for feeding so I won't do the dishes tonight, either. I just want to get ready for bed so I can get the boy-child ready, too.
    Good night all!

Bath, I just had a shower with both the babies. DH bought Jack in then after a bit we did a swapperoo and he bought Charlee in! It was lovely. They just love it so much more than the bath I think.

Tulip, I just did it with ink that I know washes off easy and did it onto nice coloured paper that I have for scrapbooking. I'm not that fussed on moulds etc. I think as long as there is a print of their feet then i am happy.

Gabysmum, that is weird! 6 toes! Oh well i think Amara will survive with only nine. Cant wait to see it though. I just cant seem to be able to picture it...

littlerigger Guest

Just did ryan's foot prints, can't do his hands because unless he's holding someone they're always in fsts like his daddy. Did them with versa scrapping ink which is water soluble. did 3 colours and he giggled the whole time!! I think I did 6 sets so I'll scrap some, frame some with a picture for both sets of GP and then the best set will be framed with his fancy birth certificate and a picture and might laminate a foot each for mummy & daddy to keep in wallets with a little picture.

Hello Junies, won't go through all your names as I'm bound to leave someone out and I don't want to do that, just a few personals.
    Lol Bath at the Medicinal Bailey's.
    Jess So sorry to hear that everyone is sick.
    Congrats on the new family member Misskel
    Ali yay for the first mum and bub shop, so glad she slept for you.
    I love sales it's a pity I live too far away to pop in and pick up a bargin.
    Prints: I would love to do some prints but I haven't done it for the girls, should have, but just didn't do it. So I feel a little bad if I did Nathans. But I have a storeroom full of scrapping stuff since I used to sell it, I haven't done any pages in ages, I really love it though I should get some photos developed online. I just don't seem to get the time.

Cee_Cee99 Guest

just saying hi - we are good - hope u r all well... sorry - just not enough seconds in the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back from the city... went well... didn't visit DH's colleagues though... maybe next Friday. Didn't buy the sheets for us but bought the most gorgeous doona cover and pillowcase set for Verity reduced from $80 to $50 (double bed size). I'm going to put it away for her birthday... lately she has been doing lots of drawings of her "dream bedroom" and visiting "design your own house" web sites so I've got a good idea what she likes and this will really fit the bill IK: since you share my passion for linen you might want to check it out (I copied the image of her bed set from the designer's web site) Just click on her name in my signature and it will take you direct. I wish I had the money to buy more of the soft furnishings that go with the set. It's a discontinued line too and becoming rare Myer's 1000 count linen wasn't reduced... but there's a Bed Bath 'n Table warehouse near where I live that always has reduced top quality linen so I might revisit tomorrow morning.

I also bought a Noddy plushie for Niall (all my children have got their own Noddy now) and a Noddy picture book for Wade... we're all Enid Blyton fans in this house.

So that was a nice/brief outing... Niall slept the whole time in my sling. Wade actually said "bedtime at home now" as we were walking back to our house from the train station so I think his irritable mood earlier in the day might have been from tiredness.

Both boys still sleeping... going to make a cuppa.

Hiya CeeCee

ETA: Kel: The photos you sent of Jack & Charlee and family are lovely! The twins look so settled and content

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast