Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born in June 2006 #4

Thanks for explaining that, Racs! I was wondering myself!
    Oscar was pretending...he's asleep...on me...typing one handed...
    MIL's dog crossing the line in attention seeking - shoving snout under my forearm to get me to pat her...when I'm holding or feeding Oscar, grrr. MIL has gone to Tassie and we have her dog for 3 weeks.
    Well, I'm ready for bed - first time ever before 10pm!

Thanks Racs for telling me that, it helps. I asked the Paed doctor why and she said she didn't know, then went away. When she came back she said the Dietician has told the nurses to do it based on his weight and age!
    Rang the hospital and he is settled, the doctor said the Paediatrician would see him on rounds tonight but when I asked about it , the nurse looking after him said he didn't need to see him.

No one is really giving you much info are they Jess? One person says "i don't know" another says the Paed is going to see him, another says they don't need too!! arrrggh.. *hugs*

Jess, if you have the energy and can be arsed, how about speaking to some kind of hospital ombudsman? I don't think it's good enough that they have your child in their charge and won't tell you, the parent, what's going on and why.
    I'm now brushing my teeth and would love to get settled into bed definitely by midnight!

Thanks for all the advice girls, it means so much to me! Good to see you back in here where you belong Racs! I'm heading over there in the morning to see what excuse they have for me this time!
    IK- It's not worth going to the ombudsman because as people have told me doctors or the profession will always side with doctors or the profession. You can't fight City Hall!
    We are going to eventually put a complaint in about the hospital but we have to see if anything else happens first.
    On a sad point a close friend of mine died yesterday afternoon! He was in his flat when he felt some chest pains, so he jumped in his gopher and headed up to the medical centre, got through the door and collasped.He was only in his late 50's early 60's.

phew!
    a few days without a laptop and i feel like ive been living in a cave!
    Sorry girls no time to catch up on posts ( or emails for that matter ) just wanted to say hello !
    All is well here , Aneta has grown a new chin ( i think that makes it 3 now hehe )... she's attempting to smile ... or something similar.
    Unfortunatly my idea with the fitness ball backfired. She wont settle now unless she's rocked on the fitness ball - I have serious back issues because of it Sometimes I spend until 3pm settling her on it.. putting her down... hearing her cry.. and so on.. a non stop cycle. I dont even know how she realizes im not on the fitness ball when she's sleeping ... but as soon as she does she gets hysterical. ahh well

Jess , sorry to hear your little man is in hospital - im keeping my fingers crossed that all will be fine and those doctors will start acting more professional !

Happy Birthdays , and one months and 2 3 or 4 months to everyone ( and thanks for the 1 month wishes for Aneta last week )

Hi everyone, Welcome Lisa to our humble little group, we love to chat so welcome.
    Jess so sorry for your loss, glad to hear Patrick is on the mend.
    IK My let down is still stinging heaps, they say you should lay back to slow the flow as the milk comes in so that it doesn't hurt so much. Although I think it's impractical as it's not always possible to lay down when you feel it coming in. I have so much milk at the moment which like Bath is being expressed off into the freezer. I'm still getting between 60-80mls after a feed. It will settle down and it won't hurt with the let down soon. Hang in there babe.
    Yay enigma glad the laptops working again
    Racs so good to see you back

Someone stole my contented baby and have replaced him with a little monster. He is having his screaming match between 6pm and 10pm the only thing to settle him is his human dummy. lol. He's not hungry, just wants to suck but won't take the dummy. And he doesn't want to be put down. Quite happy snuggling in my arms on the boob. Which he chomps on rather than sucks. Oh well, savouring every moment. He could be my last....

littlerigger Guest

Just a quick one cause I'm walking past the puter heading for the shower.

Jess - *hugs* sorry to hear about your friend and GRR for the stuffing around with the hospital. But as I said, positive thoughts. He's off the oxygen!

Enigma - I had let ryan get into the habit of being settled to sleep while I cuddled him on the couch at night. And he would do the same thing, whinge once I put him down. This made for a tired cranky me. But then I discovered the art of warm baths! Ryan likes his at about 36.5 degrees. any warmer and you get a super shirty Ryan. But I found that followed by a feed made him super drowsy so I could then put him down virtually unconscious and he'd crash out. Have you tried warm bath / shower with Aneta?

There was someone else I was going to reply to but I'm having a blank. I'll come back after my shower!!

And welcome Lisa

I tells ya, girls, co-sleeping settles most babies marvellously for night sleeping! I feed, change, maybe feed again, wind (read some old skool poetry from one of our many antique poetry collection books) and then wrap Oscar up to go to bed with me. So far, touch wood, this is working quite well - unless I'm a blubbering mess, then no-one settles in!!
    Jess - What a terrible thing to happen I hope you're ok - This past 12 months has given me a dose of funerals and people 'checking out' that the rest of my life never saw, so it's still fresh to me how it feels
    Heaven - no, not always practical, but a good reminder, now that you mention it, to keep a better posture happening cos it is worse when I slouch (which I never used to do so badly, pre-birth!).
    SIL is coming oversoon so we can walk up to the village and do a coffee and cake I'll be doing juice and something wholesome cos I'm developing cold symptoms that I'd like to nip in the bud...

Candy - the bath does the trick at night , but during the day no chance - unless i bath her before each feed hehe

littlerigger Guest

Enigma - Hmm.... Do you wrap her during the day? I'm just thinking about things that work for me. Ryan hates being wrapped during the day but needs to be wrapped up for his night time sleep. (I think this also how he "knows" it's big sleep time) Also do you have a bouncer?? Maybe popping her in that. I find it's good with Ryan as I can just jiggle it with my foot while I do other things. Or rocking her in the pram. I'm sure you've heard a million theories already. I'm just trying to help though. Maybe ask the ladies in the sleep thread?

IK - Personally I don't understand how people can co sleep. I'm terrified of it and have a strict rule, no Baby in the bed. I'm sure I'd roll on him or something. Or he'd get used to it and never go back to his bed. But this is just me. I think if people can do it and it works for them then go for it. I just can't do it myself.
    Last edited by littlerigger; July 20th, 2006 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks Candy Im buying a swing AND bouncer tonight.... keep your fingers crossed for me!! hehe... btw - how many ml's is Ryan eating now??? Aneta is up to 160mls on some feeds ( roughly every 3 or 4 hours )... i hope thats normal

littlerigger Guest

Enigma - He has 120ml feeds (that's what the tin says) but he has them every 2 hours or so during the day. and at night he's usually have that and then another 60ml bottle!!!

Hello everyone, long time no speak, I am sorry I have been so slack, but I have been really struggling with the two of them. Had a peak day on Monday where I just cried and cried, but have settled down since then. Freya is proving to be another "velcro baby", as Pinky would say, who doesn't like to be put down in the day at all. I have my trusty baba sling, which works most of the time, but sometimes I just have to put her down, so I can do things for DS. Because DH doesn't get home from work till after 7pm, it is so hard doing dinner, DS's bath & bedtime, without putting her down. Thankfully she is sleeping for slightly longer stretches at night (last night she did 4 hours!) so at least I'm getting a bit more sleep!

Sorry, no time for personals, I will catch up soon! I have been reading, but by the time I go to post, I have to go and deal with a child, so I don't get a chance. Hope everyone is well, thinking of you all!

Oh Jo i can relate... it's so tricky with a toddler and a newborn... if I didn't have my nearly 12yo DD to help me, especially when i need to prepare dinner of an evening, I would seriously be struggling to cope. Verity knows that the only way she is guarenteed to be able to watch Neighbours without me interrupting to ask her to do things is if she is nursing Niall... so it works for both of us

Just got back from PlayGroup/Shopping/Visiting neighbour. Lovely cool but sunny day. Great to get out... should nap now... Candy: I can co-sleep but only just; I know what you mean: I worry about smothering the poor little guy... so I only sleep very lightly, but it beats getting up completely and listening to him cry... he settles pretty much immediately when I bring him into bed.

Nic: Love that parka: I've been looking for a similar one for Verity! LOL She so wants one with "fur" around the hood. Gorgeous smiles

Okey doke... feed time... Niall's stirring in the pram here beside me... back later girls.

#karen# Guest

Welcome Lisa
    Jess - thinking of you, sorry about your friend.
    Dee - My Nathan is unsettled at that time too.I have started doing his bath at about 8:30 - 9 and it works great for his night sleep, we got 5 hours sleep after his bath.
    Jo -I had a bad evening yesterday trying to juggle everything, dh won't be home til 8 tonight, so I'm not looking forward to that. it gets quite hard, especially when older kids start fighting. I don't know how you managed Kel with DH away
    Ik - glad appt went well foe Oscar the other day, how's the attachment going now?

Actually managed to get to the myer sales today and bought myself some new clothes. Although now my back is killing me, i'm finding if I stand too long my back starts aching.
    Hi to all and hope everyone is well.

Jess sorryto hear about your friend

just posted a new pic on my site of my " new " family on our way to a wedding ( she slept right through it )...
    ... baby awake ..( not that she was ever sleeping ) gotta run!

Hi to everyone!!

Co-sleeping is such a breeze for me because I'm not anxious about it at all. I know it's good for us and I'm not afraid to have a good sleep between feed wakings - I know he's there and I trust my instincts that if something were wrong with him I would know. I'm in the best place to tend to him; right next to him I'm not afraid of smothering at all - he'd make a bit of noise before I snuffed the life out of him with a shoulder or other body part! Honestly, if it were that dangerous, China's, Africa's and India's populations would be infinitely smaller! We're not smokers nor on medication, nor morbidly obese.
    This time last year the thought of co-sleeping was just too out there for us and we thought we were so intelligent and wise with our reasoning that sleeping alone in another room would be the healthiest for our potential baby. Once I was pregnant we still thought this way, but the closer we got to June, the more we realised that we were not comfortable with having our baby not near us. Then we decided that if the child didn't take to sleeping in the bed with us (like some babies who just want to play in bed!) we would keep the bassinet in the room. But he did, so he does and I cannot adequately describe the all-consuming inner warm fuzziness I get when I wake and look at Oscar's sleeping, peaceful and secure face right next to mine...just before he wakes for a feed so that he can chomp right down on my poor nipples! When DP leaves for work in the morning he leans over to give me a kiss, then moves along to give his boy a parting kiss, too. I know that there will be people who can't get over the 'shared intimacy' barrier that co-sleeping elicits, but those of us who do it will definitely know what I'm talking about and smile, instead of shuddering! Children DO wean themselves from the family bed, and if that's where Oscar feels secure then my role is to maintain his security until such a time that he's happy in his own company. I figure that I hate having regrets, so I'm going with my 'heartflow' in order to not find myself saying, years down the track "geez, you know, I wonder if I should have done (insert appropriate action), but it's too late now". One of the BC midwives really regrets that she never co-slept with any of her 3 kids and she can't get that time back cos it was 30 odd years ago! I hate regrets and my waters tell me that co-sleeping, breastfeeding and infant-led feeding are the right things for us and Oscar. But you're right, Candy, it IS absolutely personal and if anyone tries to tell me what I 'should' or 'shouldn't' do with Oscar, I'll be telling them to bite me cos I am the mother of MY child and no-one else is.
    ANYWAY, I'm reading a book called "Naked Motherhood" by Wendy LeBlanc, it's a bit old now but in her research, the only women who did NOT report exhaustion and other negative and common post-partum feelings and experiences were those who co-slept. I can say that apart from my few nights of distress about feeding issues, I have not felt strung out or crazy with lack of sleep, so I will concur with Wendy LeBlanc!
    LC came over to my house today! She called and said she'd do a home visit instead, to see me feed in our 'natural habitat' She's confident that we're on our way and she said she noticed a huge difference in how I approached the feed this time, unlike last week.
    My SIL and I had a nice (although quick, cos LC appt was brought forward with the home visit) trip into the village, where we had a coffee and chat with our children in their prams - I think we should make it a more regular thing cos it was lovely, especially as the sun was out in full defrosting force!
    Karen - attachment becomes much less horrendous with each feed - I think he's slowly getting the hang of his tongue and my own techniques are tweaking in response to make it better all round, phew! Thanks for asking The nipple ridging is also becoming less pronounced. Best of all, as a result, I'm not fearing the onset of the vasospasm and...funnily enough...the vasospasm is diminishing, yay! Hopefully, by next weekend for the brigade annual dinner we'll have it down and I can thoroughly enjoy the night (most likely another year where I'll miss out on every award available - had hoped in other years to get 'most improved firefighter' cos I thought I deserved it!).
    Jo - my SIL is the same with a velcro baby! She's a bit luckier cos her other two kids are 8 and 10, but the thing that gets them through is knowing that it won't last forever and she'll eventually get tired and sleep during the day one day...don't know if that helps you at all, though...thinking of you, though
    Enigma - are you going to the Target sale?? Stuff is SO cheap in this latest catalogue! We might have to get ourselves a high chair - there's one for $45 at half price...
    Hmm, might drink some OJ, express a bit cos Oscar is still sleeping and the left breast is starting to fill up a bit too much again...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast