Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born in June 2006 #9

nickers - Samuel's always scratching his face no matter how often I attend to his nails - his determination to put his fists in his mouth means he has little scabs all over is face. The other day I picked him up after sleep and he had this huge pool of dried blood on his face - I freaked but when i wiped the blood away it was this ever so tiny scratch. and just another go nickers you are doing an outstanding job with BF.

anyway we had a lovely weekend - after me chucking a narna early last week about DH in front of TV and our poor/lack of family time - he is putting in the effort and helping out and spending time with the kids and restricting his TV watching until after bed or shows that we let DS watch. We went to the markets, out for breakfast and to an Apex kids day where they had free train rides, and other rides and food. What I would expected would be a one hour trip out turned into a whole day. Unfortunately DH has also injured his neck/shoulder muscles so really can't move - it was getting better but last night got really bad again and he can now barely move without severe pain so I have to give him some slack cause he's in so much pain.

IK - glad to see DH stepped up

Ali - glad to see your trip went well - the first one is always an entry into the unknown but after a such a success it won't faze you next time I"m sure.

anyway one child calling so had better go for now - hope everyone had a good weekend

ETA - Candy sorry to hear about your horse - I am confused as to why they wouldn't ask you/tell you that there was an issue with his health - I'm assuming it had to be an immediate decision if they didn't ask you but they should have at least told you - yes I'm sure you would have been upset but maybe only the natural upset of losing him (which as a big girl I'm sure you would have been able to deal with in your own way) rather than the additional furious feelings you now have toward your parents as a result of their withholding- I hope you are feeling a bit better as today goes on and your migraine doesn't hang around.
    Last edited by jaspen; September 11th, 2006 at 08:23 AM.

Good morning everyone A sunny but cool Monday here... should be able to get the washing done.

Sad anniversary hey? I wonder if any September Babies will be born today... shame everyone will associate it with tragedy.

Candy: That's terrible about your horse? Did they tell you why? Very odd that they didn't tell you at the time.... like Jaspen said, treating you like a little girl. Once somebody does that to you it really erodes the level of trust between you. And yes, we do support WB, or "Footscray" as we still call them. Looks like we are playing West Coast over there next week... no matter, we have beat them on their own turf several times before.

Ok... kids to organise here... back later....

yes bath - very sad day in history today. yeh I still think of the bulldogs as footscray as I have a family friend who used to play for them (back in the days when you didn't get paid for playing football) so they will always be footscray to us.

Cool - its even cool up here in Townsville today (for townsville that is) - or should I say the wind is cold so once it drops or changes direction it will probably go back to being pleasant to stinking hot or somewhere in between but a great day for drying clothes. That's one thing I don't miss about the southern weather - the ability to get clothes dry in about 15mins outside at any time of the year is great.

littlerigger Guest

Indeed a sad day in history.

I don't remember them as Footscray more because I was pretty much union only until Matt and I started seeing each other and we have now had to accept each other's codes We get a week off now which is nice

I honestly don't know what my family were / are thinking. I just don't know that I care anymore.

hi girls - all lower case cause flynn is on my lap

candy that is so awful - i can only imagine what it is like for you.

girls, thanks for the reality check on bottles - i have only ever heard "my baby sleeps thru, why doesn't yours" from mates who don't bf - i thought it sounded like paradise! that said, last night flynn slept from 11.30pm rill 6 am, fed, then slept till 8.30am. and that's with a phleghmmy chest! it os amazing how good you can feel after a decent sleep!

better go - bub getting narky!!

littlerigger Guest

rory - ryand is FF but doesn't sleep thrugh all the time either. I can often have a week, where he goes back to waking 2/3 times a night for a feed or to play.

Those friends of yours just sound competitive Rory... what's their definition of "sleeping through" anyhow? MCHNs say that sleeping through is offically considered to be midnight (last feed) to 5am for a baby the same age as ours. Also from my experience it's rubbish... babies never consistently sleep through... as I said, there are other reasons for waking up during the night, not just hunger... are your friends saying their babies don't wake when their babies are teething etc? pffft. These are the type of people who say: "my baby is walking/ eating 3 square meals a day/ ready for university"... just nod and smile and say that yours isn't and you'll have just as many grateful mums overhear you and feel better because they have babies that are normal

ETA: that's not to say you can't celebrate when they DO sleep through! Occassionally Niall sleeps from 10pm to 4am. As long as I go to bed at 10pm too it's a fantastic sleep!

Neeny I have sent you an email just now.

Candy that is no good, you would have thought that it been your horse someone would have consulted you about it's welfare not just your parents.

AF I never get her back until after I finish bf be it 3mths or the longest was 8mths so am not expecting her back just yet.

As for us it's another wet and cold day in Brissy, we went out 4WD yesterday in the rain wasn't bad lots of mud to play in. Other then that not alot has happened here. Kailen has his operation this Friday as long as it doesn't get cancelled again, so won't be here on Friday may be on at night but all depends on how he feels.

Better go and get some washing on.

hugs xoxo

Candy - What a terrible, terrible night you must have had! I totally get that you have a migraine. I know that distinctive gutted, hollowed out feeling very well, but you must feel it even more knowing you couldn't be there with your pony, I just want to cry with you Yes, of course it would have upset you, but you might even have felt a bit better knowing Ryan was coming along to help alleviate some of that pain. Now you just have secrecy and that's making me angry. Children are often mistakenly shielded from the mortality of animals, but not adults!! I'm so, so, sorry that you've lost your buddy (let's treat it like it just happened, cos it essentially has for you). I'm about to go out and see mine, so I'll give him an extra hug in memory of your pony and the hug you couldn't give him, ok? I'm so sad. I'd love to provide a balanced view from your parents' perspective as to why they would keep it from you, but it's pretty indefensible. But DO think of this, they wouldn't have done it to hurt you, they were actually thinking of you (even if the end decision was a complete dud), AND, whatever he had to be put down for is not bothering him anymore (in the end we act for the horse's welfare, don't we?). It would have been very hard for them to do, too, even if it's not your responsibility to think about what they went through to do it they actually did it for you. You will feel like riding again, so even though you're going back to work to pay for agistment, buying the horse is the cheapest part, so don't feel defeated. You'll get another one...in your own time (I know what this is like...took me 6 months before I decided it was time again).
    I'll reply to everyone later, I think I may have missed the farrier...

littlerigger Guest

I've had him since I was 9

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Aurora – don’t feel bad about wanting to go back to work– sleep depravation is so bad it was outlawed as a form of torture by the Red Cross - glad you got a better night last night.

Baths- you so hit the nail on the head re: the difference in pace btw. paid work and SAH.. I love lentils, I make lentil sheaperds pie and lentil soup.

Ali – I think AF is on her way for me too – had one of my ‘hormonal’ headaches last night…I was hoping to get at least 6 months off…darn..hope your feeling better today.

Gabysmum – I’m sorry to read about the breast refusal – expressing is such a pain…are you going to keep trying? Or is there no point? Good news about the stats though!

Nic – hang in there honey, every day Nixon gets your milk is a blessing. BF is hard. For me it is cracked nipples.. I constantly have scabs on my nipples and get that needle pain afterwards - even though my LC said that I do attach Ally properly... I just count every day as a positive.

Candy – I’m so sorry about your horse…I’m sure they meant well, even though I agree that they should have told you. We are not children. I’m really really sorry…My parents put my dog down when I was 29. I had been living in the US for a year, they decided to put the dog down the day before I got home as they did not want me to see her like that. But I would have liked to say goodbye, to thank her for being such a good dog – lets make a pact that we will not do that to our children.

Me - had a bad night as we went to a friends house for dinner and she also invited another couple with kids, who screamed all night (nothing agaist that - kids were just having fun) but it meant that Ally could not get to sleep, she is not used to kids screaming....so she was up till 11pm (with two 10min cat naps).. they had let their kids sleep during the day so they could stay up late. Errrr... She is a mess today as well and will not go down... oh well. I would like to say it was worth it, but it wasn't.

I've joined another group: InnerSydneyMum's, they meet once a week at the Union Hotel in Newtown. I'm looking forward to real live chats, I love you gals, but it will be nice to meet some more mums - given most of you are all in Melb. Is there anyone else in Sydney?

Candy, I am so sorry to hear about your horse, that is so sad, I would be pretty angry if I was you too.

Neeny, can't make it this Friday, but would like to arrange a meet up with you & Amanda (and any other Brissie girls!) for another time.

Bath, you have once again articulated perfectly the lament of the SAHM...I have been doing it for nearly 2 yrs now, and I feel just like you. It's so hard to explain to those that haven't experienced it...when I tell my working, childless friends that work would be a welcome break, they just don't get it.

Well, my little gal slept through last night for only the second time in her life (and bear in mind she has been FF since day 3!) but what a whopper - 7pm till 6:30am! Wow, what a difference that has made to my day today! I won't get my hopes up for a repeat performance of that, but just doing it once reminds me there is light at the end of this hazy, sleep-deprived tunnel!

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Jo- yeah!! that is great.. how many times did you get up to check on her! He hee (or is it not as bad with number two?)...

Well, off to eat cake, I made my friend a birthday cake but it stuck to the bottom, so I had to make it again (this time with baking paper on the bottom)...so we get the broken one! Yummy, carrot cake.

littlerigger Guest

cee cee you are so thoughtful baking your friend a cake!!

Jo - I'm glad you got to sleep through!!! The first night ryan did it I had to keep getting up to check on him and I still do it now!

Oh, Candy, those childhood friends are the hardest to move on from. I'm so sorry, again. Gave my pony extra loving today. When my first horse had to be put down I wondered after if I had given him as many cuddles as I could have, so now I make sure I take the opportunity with my dog, with Dante (horse) and with Oscar to kiss them whenever I feel like it, cos you never know. Honestly, though, I think when you're ready you could try to think about what happened and that it would have been hard for your parents to make that decision and that it may have clouded their judgement re: letting you know. It has probably even affected how they relate to you since (and account for some of the angst you have between one another). Do you think? Well, regardless of what your relationship is with them, it would have been sad for them, too, wouldn't it? Especially if he was living with them and they saw him and talked to him everyday? That's gotta be hard, too. All you can do is just send a thanks to your pony for all the great memories you have and the lessons you learned from him...that always makes me feel better. Each animal friend I have teaches me something new and I have so much gratitude to them, especially when I have to let them go. It's probably too soon for you to see this, as it has effectively happened to you today. Anyway, I thought of you this morning.
    And I did miss the farrier! Oh, well, they understand - the farrier has a 6 month old child!
    Fabulous day today. Gotta take this dog and boy to the reserve. Right after I've swatted a few of these flies...

I still lept out of bed with Wade when he was a small baby but Niall is sleeping closer to me more often so I don't have to (when he has a marathon sleep). What I really love these days is when Niall will wake me for the 3am feed from where he is sleeping in the cradle next to my side of the bed... then feed quickly... and then let me lower him back into the cradle and sleep until 7am... I just love it when that happens but it's only about 1/2 times a week... the rest of the time he stays in with me.

Ok it's official, Wade is having a birthday party this year... I've been wondering whether I was up for all the extra work... then as I was talking to a neighbour and her little boy i mentioned it and gave her an invitation. It's for the 7th of October so I've still got a few weeks to plan. If everybody comes i could have 30 people here! Argh! I've allowed Verity to invite 2 of her friends (responsible ones) and they can come early and help me out! I'm also right onto good supervision (old habits die hard form working with little children) so I'll need some extra eyes. Unfortunately even amongst my friends you can't count on parents to watch their own children all the time (especially if they get involved in a conversation with another adult).

Jo: I said to a lady in Myer the other day (we got chatting about stuff): "Geeze I envy you working here all day" (i had both Wade and Niall with me) and she said "I know! I come here for a break from my 3 kids!"

Speaking of which Wade and verity are just starting to be silly.... they were peacefully occupied in the garden digging whilst I was cleaning the house and doing the washing... now, as soon as I sit down for a break they decide to start running through the house screaming in between demanding food and entertainment "can we go to the park now?"
    Me (Dragon Mummy); "No! I need a break... Niall's asleep now so just let me sit!"

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Baths - I'm glad wade is having a party, i've been reading (in Sydney's Child) just how out of control they can get, with jumping castles, performing artists, presents for guests and food for child and parent... they can get out of control.. no wonder you were in two minds - if his friends are having HUGE parties it would be hard for you to compete (I'm assuming you are not going to do all the aftorementioned things)...but even food for 30 will be expensive - I saw a cute finger food idea for childrens parties, it was different fruit cubed on sticks (like kerbabs) - cheap, healthy and they looked great. Good luck with the planning.

Candy - I always make food for my friends birthday - home cooked meals are a dying art. I also bought her a facial and a baby sitting voucher (for the duation of the facial) so I can mind her 3yo while she enjoys herself. She loved it.. Hard for her being born on 11th of September.

In the USA they make "Christmas Cookies", and hand them out to all their neihbours and co-workers...I think I will make them this year as gifts for my friends - saw a great Chocholate Chip and Macadamia nut cookie recipe in Better Homes and Gardens mag that I want to try.

Baby Bjorn - well today Ally decided she LOVED it, we went for a trial quick walk around the block, but she liked it so much she feel asleep, so doggy and I went to teh dog park and his best friend was there and they played in the mud - doggy style... should go wash him off now..he is covered head to toe (labs are self cleaning, but I think he will get cold).

Just back from the park...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast