Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born March 2006 #4

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Hi everyone,

I have been checking in as well, just haven't had a chance to sit down and think about what I want to say! Am typing one handed as my 2 and a half year old is sitting on my lap and I can hear Cooper on the monitor. Had better go and attend to them both, will be back online later to do a proper post!

Whooohooooo!!!!!

Look at me and my baby!!! hehehe..... hmmm wish is was that skinny! well at least im working on that one. Went on Jenny craig this week!!

I wonder if there are fat avatars?? hehe

Anyway, its soooo quiet in here!! Where are you all? Miss Abbykins is doing great as usual.... she chucked up a whole bottle earlier on and laughed her head off when i was frantic trying to clean it and her up. Hmmm well thats what you get missy when you scream your lungs out when i try to bring up a burp mid way thru!!

Im still interested to hear if any bubs are showing signs of teething??

oh, and here is something random i was thinking about. You all know when we were all pregnant and we were picking prams and stuff.... was everyone happy with what they got pram wise? Im just wondering because some people put so much thought into it....

We go the Beteni Mio and i still think its great. There are times where the back wheels are too big and i have to lift it to get it thru IYKWIM but otherwise im happy with it and will be sticking to it for the next bub.

Also, any ideas on highchairs? we picked one out, but its wooden and now im just not sure. What are you all using?

ok, im off to soak in the tub while i can!

Hi girls!

Sorry, been MIA with a bit of work (BAS, etc, etc, yuck!).

Em - woohoo on the fancy avatar! No, Lucy doesn't have any signs of teeth yet, all the drooling and putting everything in her mouth is probably just a developmental thing, rather than a real sign.

We bought the Emmaljunga Cerox Sport and absolutely love it for walking around the footpaths and over any grass or terrain. I also bought the Roger Armstrong Elfin last month (got shifted back into the smaller car so DP could use the wagon for work) and it's fantastic for shopping centres, etc, but still has slightly bigger wheels for rougher surfaces. It only weighs 7 kg too so I can lift it in and out much easier than I could the other pram. It's more of a stroller though, and we always knew we'd have to buy a stroller at some point. As for high chairs, we picked up a Target one for $15 the other day, they were selling out the last stock they had. Isn't flash, but for that price we thought it'd do! We were looking at getting the Stokke Trip Trap and if this one doesn't do the job we'll probably go back to that.

Relle - it must be hard to type with a small person who also would like to sitting on your lap! When I hold Lucy atm at least she can't reach the keys!

How is everyone else? Ivana, I love the new pic of Tallon laughing! I can get some great giggles out of Lucy but there's never anyone else around to take the photos. Although the video camera is more successful. Happy 5 mth birthday tomorrow to Lucy, Tallon and Cailan too!

I weighed Lucy today and she's 5.8 kg. I don't think she's ever going to be huge, she's tracking at the lower end of average on the growth charts. I'm going to get her measured properly at a pharmacy somewhere in the next couple of days to put it in her blue book.

I've been having some shoulder/back problems caused (I think) by Lucy's preference for feeding on my right hand side. She spends at least twice as long on that side and it's wreaking havoc with my muscles. I've seen a physio twice in the last week and the exercises seem to be helping. I'm also trying to feed her lying down in the morning to take the pressure off.

Must go, can't believe it but I still have more paperwork to get through this evening before I go to bed. Hope everyone is well!

Kas ~ I am so sorry about your Grandma. Your poor Mum, I remember you saying that she was worried about going on holidays and leaving her. Please pass on my condolences to her and your Dad.
    Ems ~ Cailan is showing signs of teething, rosy cheeks, runny poos, excess drool, grizzly and fiercely chewing on his hand. The weird thing is that his i-teeth are swollen up, I hope he isn't crosscutting, thats the worst.
    Last edited by jimssteph21; August 10th, 2006 at 11:28 AM.

Steph, whats the i-teeth? And how do you mean "swollen up"

Abby has swollen bits where her two bottom front teeth are, does that mean that she IS teething?

Whats crosscutting?

God i know nothing about all this!! Im might get Tim to stop by a book shop, does anyone know a good book about baby development etc?

Bessi Guest

Emz: Zeke's had two teeth in particular that have been coming up above the gum line then going back down since he was 6 weeks (poor little man, not much fun). So far nothing has broken through though but lately it does seem to be worse with the rubbing of the ears, drool, rosy cheeks and rubbing everything on his gums.
    In relation to the highchair we have a plastic one that I hate - it has no straps so I have to be a step or two away from Zekie all the time when he's in it. The plastic one was a hand-me-down from my sister-in-law. We want to buy a nice wooden one but they're hard to find... where did you get yours, is it good?
    Pram wise we got a Mountain Buggy Urban and we love it. Like a few of you have already said it is sometimes a pain having such a wide wheel base in shops etc but we use it so much for walking that it was certainly the right choice. I think I will buy a cheap little stroller one of these days though for the shops.

Zeke is laughing heaps and chats away to himself. Still making the lglglg and dgdgdg noises although some times it sounds more like quack quack quack which is funny! He loves the high pitched squealing too which is funny - I think he'll be a boy soprano at this rate! He loves facing forwards in everything and really interacts with people when we're out walking or shopping. We turned him forward in the car seat when he reached 8.5kg and it's so much easier to reach back and put the dummy in now! I can't believe how quickly he's growing up he's not a baby anymore!!!
    I'm guessing as we all get closer to the 6mth mark more of you will be getting these March babies into the solids. How's everyone going on the feeding front? Who breast feeds, bottle feeds etc and how have you all found it?

Hey Bessi,

With the wooden high chair, we havent actually got it yet. We have picked it out at our local baby shop. There are 2 baby shops here in town(Bendigo) and they both have a few wooden chairs. I dont know the brand of the one we are thinking about getting.... but it has a sweet little heart cut out up the top. Ive been told they arent really much good for young babies, so thats why im asking about everyones highchairs. I want to get one on the weekend.

Must be a pain having one without straps!!

As fof feeding- Abby is bottle fed, has been from about 2 weeks after a bit of trouble, a freaked out new mummy and a sick, floopy little baby and being admitted to hospital! Was all to much so bottle it was. Shes been great on it. No problems at all. She is on 4x 210 per day but is starting to get cranky every now and then needing a top up. She has had farax and she had some apples on the weekend thanks to her nanna, but she loved it ofcourse. Im seeing her pead on thursday and will ask about starting her properly on food then.

poor little Zeke having teeth going up and down!!

How big is he now? Abby was 8 kg a couple of weeks ago so im about to go look at our seat instructions to see when we need to change it.

It sounds like Zeke is making lots of cute noises. Its sooo sweet!! hehehe When should we expect babys first word???

Bessi Guest

I don't know about first words - I think it varies so much from child to child. My Mum swears we all talked by 9 months but I think she might have become a little hazey over the years!!! Maybe we were saying dadada or something but I strongly doubt we were "talking" properly! I know kids who are 2 or 3 and still don't really get the whole sentence thing and then there are others (like my niece) who have been able to have adult conversations since they were really little! I'm hoping Zekie will talk early because it is so cute and I'd love for him to be able to communicate more with me. Knowing my luck though he'll just say dad and no!!!!
    I've been looking for a wooden highchair and had no luck, sounds like Bendigo is the place to go for one!!! I've only found one shop that had them and they only had one style it was $300 and would take 8 weeks to arrive!!!! I said no thanks...
    We were told 8kg for turning the carseat but I'm sure the instructions booklet will let you know. I think Zeke is about 9kg now looks like he'll be a big boy like his Dad (6ft 3inches and very solid!!!) I'm guessing once he's more mobile and active he'll slow down or even lose weight which will be a nice change. He's already in size 1 of the Bonds wondersuits (they're a bit smaller than other brands so he's still a 0 in the rest)...
    Zekie does this hillarious caterpillar crawl that I caught on video a week or so ago. He lifts his bottom high up in the air and then shuffles his feet forwards and pushes his upper body along the floor! So cute.

Hi everyone, well I never got back to do that post till now!

Kas, I am sorry to hear about your Grandma, I hope it hasn't been to stressful for you having to deal with all of the arrangements while your mum is away.

Steph - poor Cailan about the teething! It can be such a horrible time for some of them can't it! Campbell showed teething signs from 4 months, but didn't actually cut a tooth until 8 months, then they came with a vengeance! Cooper hasn't shown any signs of teething yet though. I am not looking forward to it though!

Cooper has been bottle feed from about 10 weeks after having a shocker of a time with BF (My kids scream for 30 mins when I am trying to get them to BF. If you saw the size of my BBS you would scream if you saw them coming at you as well!lol) He had his weigh a couple of weeks ago and was 7.2Kgs.

He is 5 months in a couple of days, but I am trying to hang on until 6 months to start him on solids (well at least another couple of weeks)

I am one that has been very fussy with prams and it has taken me 4 prams to get to the right one for me! I started off with an emmaljunga, which I loved but found really hard on my back in relation to steering it, then I sold that and went to a Valco runabout, I then added a toddler seat to that for when Cooper was born, but found that I wanted Cooper to face me when he was really little and I wanted an adjustable handle, so then I bought a Valco Rebel, which I liked, but was a lot heavier, bulkier and then when Campbell was in the toddler seat, it became quite unstable, so then I bought a bargain off ebay - A Bertini Bidwell with a toddler seat, and it was in immaculate condition! I got it for $250 !!!!

And I love it! I will finally stick with this one, even through the next baby. So after 2 years of searching, a bertini bidwell it is!

Emz - I have used a prima pappa with both Campbell and now Cooper. I really like it cause they are comfy for the bubbas and have a 5 point safety harness, they lay back so they can be in them from a few weeks old (with an older sibling, this is a blessing when I am cooking tea etc)

I am so excited girls - I have now got my avatar, and I can catergorically say I WISH I was that hot in real life!

We are moving back to our house in Caulfield East towards the end of October! Yippee the thumbs down though is that our tennants have trashed it, so we are giving them notice and moving back. (We have been housesitting for my parents for 2 years, it was meant to be 5 ) but we really want to go home !

This means I will be closer when I start doing my birth attendant course, and of course closer to all of the big maternity hospitals and BC!

Bessi, zeke's crawl sounds soooo funny! Do you have the video on the computer???

Abby is a fatty too. Tho she is in 0 bonds suits, but yeah as you said they are smaller than other clothes. Shes in 00 for everythig else!

The wooden chair we were looking at was only $160 or something similar, so it might be worth a trip to bendigo, thats if you dont live too far away!

Oh, Tim is home so im going... ill finish later! hehehe

Bessi Guest

Relle - that's amazing that you're moving back to Caulfield East. I had Zeke at Monash Birth Centre (Clayton) and loved everything about it. Will you be working there when you do your birth attendent course? By the way what does that involve - I've never heard of it? Do you have to be a midwife or nurse or is it more of a support role for the parents? Sounds fantastic.

Bessi - It is amazing, I am sooooooo excited we will be back there in about 75 days!!

The course I am looking at doing is the Rhea Dempsey run course that Kelly Zantey did for her qualification as a Birth Attendant. You are there to support the parents from go to wo of their labour including pre natal visits and post natal visits. I can't wait to start the course, but it doesn't start till March

I will definately work at Monash Birthing Centre, I will work wherever women want to birth! I have to find 2 - 3 women next year who are happy to have me at their birth ( at no charge of course) in order to pass my course! and then after 9 months I will be a fully fledged Birth Attendant/Doula! I had both of my babies at Cabrini and I loved it there as well!

I will hopefully be able to work at Cabrini, masada, jessie mac, waverley private,monash, royal womens, st vinnies, freemasons etc and any other hospitals within an hour or so from Caulfield.

I was actually a Private and Business Banker prior to having my kids, so this is a big change of profession! I am actually planning to study midwifery as well, but that is alot more involved and will take a lot longer to do especially with little kids, so the Birth Attendant gets me into the industry and getting some experience!

Ems ~ The i-teeth are the incisors which are the pointy ones, some people call them vampire teeth. By swollen I mean that they are bulging out of the front of the gum, making the gum swollen and sore. I have heard from a few health workers that the incisors are the most painful to come through. They usually don't come through to around the 1 year old mark but you can never really tell, some babies are born with teeth and others get them very early, my neice for example, got her first tooth at 11 weeks old! But then on the other end of the scale my girlfriends little boy didn't get his foirst tooth until he was 15 months old. You never can predict when they will come or which will come first. Archer had all his one year old teeth and his i-teeth by the age of 11 months and never had any problems, no nappy rash or crying. Braxton has had a terrible time with his teeth and has only just finished cutting his i-teeth. You never know, Abby might be really good with her teeth and they might just appear. Is she showing a lot signs of teething?

Relle ~ It is amazing how different they can be isn't it? I really didn't know what to expect when Archer was teething and then when Braxton turned out to be a painful teether it was a bit of a shock since Archer teethed with no hassles. One thing I did learn from Braxton was that cooled chamomile tea worked so well to help calm him, my friend who is a naturopath actually told me about it, I checked with the paedietrician (SP? no brain tonight!) before I used it and he said it was fine. It helped him relax and sleep, particularly at night when he was awake with the pain and screaming the place down.

Hope everyone is well and happy.

Hey everyone Wow at all the big teething babies! LOL. I can't tell if Tallon is teething or not, I have a feeling something's moving around in there, but I don't think they're ready to surface yet. We've had monstrous nappies, and dribbling and chewing on everything, but it comes and goes.

I'm not sure how much he weighs now, but he's been in 0 wondersuits for a little while now, and 00's for everything else. Admittedly his cloth nappies put him up a size for pants. But he seems to need the bigger size for arm & leg length anyway.

I want to go shopping for a highchair soon too. We won't start solids until 6 months or more, depending on how he's going with sitting up etc. I can't remember where I read it, somewhere on BB I think, that babies should have good neck control (which he has) but also be able to sit unassisted before starting solids. So Tallon's not ready yet. He's still going well just on boobyjuice anyway And I love how portable that makes him LOL.

As for prams - we have the Valco Runabout Tri-mode. We love it. But I think we will invest in a cheap stroller at some stage for quick trips to the shops and for travelling.. and for when I'm pg with #2! There's no way I'll be able to get the Valco out the car with a belly! hehe. But the Valco is great to drive, we're really happy with it (and Tallon sleeps so well in it too!)

OK.. must go to bed.

Night!

Morning everyone!

Just a quick question to go along with my earlier posts, What is everyones babies doing regarding daysleeps?

Cooper can still really only last for 1 and a half maybe 2 at a stretch before he is really grizzly and needing bed. He is not yet 5 months though, a little younger than most of your bubbas I think!

But I was just wondering. I know Campbell went to 2 daysleeps at 6 months (Cause I was very regimented and made him adjust to my routine) but Cooper has to go with the flow a bit more cause we are often out and about!

Bessi Guest

Relle - sounds great. I know what you mean about studying being so much harder (and slower!) with kids. I'm trying to finish off my dissertation for my Masters and my goodness it is hard. There is never enough time and certainly not in big enough blocks to get the brain in gear and make progress on the studying front!!! The birth attendent angle sounds like a great way of getting into the field while the kids are still little. I hope it all works out for you.

Emz - I am useless with technology but I'll try and get my husband to teach me how to get the video footage onto the computer and then I'll see if I can figure out how to show you the funny video of the Zeke caterpillar crawl! No guarantees though I'm not crash hot on that front!

Bessi Guest

Relle - on the day sleeps Zeke is probably not the best reference point as he's not crash hot on day sleeps! He sleeps so much at night he doesn't seem too keen to have long blocks in the day. He does still have at least one sleep per 4hr block in the day. Sadly he has never managed longer than 1/2 hr sleep per session though so I only have tiny blocks of time to cross things off my list during the day! If we're in the car or the pram though he'll sleep longer because of the rocking motion I guess.

So I think on average I'd say Zekie still has 3 sleeps per day each for 20-30 mins. He is in bed from about 6:30pm - 8:30am though so I can't complain,(he wakes up at about 6:30am has a nappy change and a feed and then comes back to bed with us for a few hours!) I absolutely love my sleep so for me being able to stay in bed till just before 9am is worth it!!! Now I need to learn to go to bed earlier and I might actually get a beautiful long stretch of sleep (my husband and I are both night owls and never go to bed before midnight... silly I know but it's such a habit for us both)

Hi girls

Wow, you've all been chatting away!

Relle - Lucy has two short day naps in the morning (max 40 mins each) and then one long nap in the afternoon, anything from 2-3 hrs. This is usually only when we're at home though. If we're out and about she tends to have shorter naps more frequently in the afternoon, rather than the long one (I guess she doesn't want to miss anything!). She then has one more nap before it's daddy play time, bath time, last feed and bed (about 7:30 - 8 pm). She sleeps through until anytime after 4 am for a feed, then back down until a much more civilised 7 am for another feed and the day begins!

Your birth attendant course sounds really interesting. I'm doing my Masters atm, but I've taken this year off to look after Lucy. I'll be back into it in January and then I only have a couple of subjects left. I can only imagine what a challenge it would be to study with two little ones! I'm thankful that I'll be all done by the end of next year, maybe earlier and I don't think I'll do any more after that. After doing half a bachelors in Economics, a bachelors in English and my Masters (in public policy, but it's not as boring as it sounds, really!) as well I think that's enough study for me!

Bessi - Zeke's caterpillar crawl sounds priceless! Yesterday we were at a friends place and I put Lucy on her tummy for a while and she moved herself half way across the play gym. So finally the leg movements seem to be getting her somewhere. She is starting to enjoy the angle from her tummy and stays there for ages if she's got something interesting to look at. Up to half an hour at most. Her sitting is getting much better, although she's still a bit wobbly. I totally empathise with the studying difficulties, although sometimes I wonder if it's a question of lack of motivation as well as too much else to do!

Oh, and since you asked, Lucy is breast fed and was a great feeder from the start so I don't take any credit for it going well! I am planning on bf her until she self-weans, as I won't be having another baby for some years. I'm guessing until about 2 years of age if she wants to? I'm also not planning on introducing solids until she is showing a real interest in food (other than just being interested 'cause it's something I'm doing) or I get any other signs that it's the right time. I find it all very confusing!

Steph - great tip on the cooled chamomile tea. I used to drink it before bed when I was pg and I think it really kept Lucy calm during the evening 'cause I didn't get any kicking then. Might have even contributed to her going down so easily at night after she was born too, since she was in a rhythm!

Em - good luck with the high chair shopping. We have to go and buy Lucy a cot in the next couple of weeks. The Boori cradle she's in is quite big but I'm concerned that since she can reach both sides at the same time she might get an arm stuck. Plus, she won't be far off being mobile and I don't want to find out too late that she could get herself out accidentally! We're going to get the Boori Matilda cradle (matches her other furniture - toy box, chest and bookcase - we already bought). Anyone else got one of their cots, and what do you think of it? I quite like the fact it converts to a toddler bed, so I'm planning on leaving her in it until school age (big girl gets a big bed then!).

Well, that's about it for us. I've spent the morning also looking after my gf's 3 mth old and I'm very thankful I don't have twins!! Two babies is a lot of work. And of course the dogs managed to get out to chase a cat mid-morning. Poor old DP had to rush home from work (thank goodness his office is only around the corner) and retrieve them. They'd bailed the cat up under someone's car and were completely ignoring my calls. DP gets to spend tomorrow morning fixing the fence now, lucky him.

Must do some work now...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast