Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born March 2007

Sonia, my upper back is so stiff and sore, I feel like a taught rubber band and i'm in real need of a firm massage to losen everything up. I think it's the feeding that does it and probably carrying her around all the time. To your other question, yep, DH and I did the deed a couple of days ago, I thought I would be nervous but it was very spontaneous and I didn't even think about possible pain, I didn't have any perineal damage so I suppose that helps. There was no pain what so ever, I think I was more scared about using protection properly because I in no way whatsoever want to get pregnant again anytime soon (at least a year, at least!). Don't be scared, if DH is gentle (as I'm sure he would be), hopefully there will be no problem. I have to say that it was FANTASTIC, no belly in the way, yay!!! Don't know about the wind, we just keep Grace upright for a while and it seems to come out eventually. Grace has done the same thing with her feeds and she has been feeding pretty much 2 hourly today and yesterday afternoon. Very frustrating. All I feel like I do is feed and feed and feed!

Karina, I hadn't thought about kinder either! Haven't even thought about childcare which I thought would be the first big thing we would have to contemplate! There must be something in the air for unsettled babies at the moment!

Nat, glad you're doing well. I'm sure you will sort yourself out nicely once your mum is gone. I'm in the same boat as DH goes back to work on Friday so it will just be me and Grace, a wee bit nervous but I'm sure we'll get there (have to!!lol!!).

Had another unsettled afternoon but finally found a dummy that Grace will take (cheap old tommee tippee) and she has been a wee bit more settled this evening thank goodness, just hope it stays like that overnight. Had a nap this afternoon just in case, plus I was exhausted after last night. Hope everyone has a great night, get lots of sleep.

Goodness me you gals can chat! trying to balance bf ariya and type at the same time so excuse the typo's. Sounds like all our bubbas are doing the same thing with the unsettledness - we coslept last night and scored 5 hours from 2am-7am but that was the only way she would settleOff to clinc tomorrow to weigh my piggy she was 4kg at birth (8lb10) and was back at birth weight last week so it will be interesting to see what she is at now. She has been feeding pretty frequently today and wanting lots of booby time which is hard when Xanny is going full speed and DH is back at work. Have to keep reminding myself that if *i just let her feed now she will boost my supply quicker and settle down again.

Oh another trick *i learnt with DS is to put them to the same breast if they come off and want more as it boosts your hindmilk which makes them feel fuller. *you can also give them the same breast for the second feed. We have a feeding basket with cloth nappies, water bottles etc as *i always need a drink when bf and it's the only time i get to sit :-)

Sonia - ariya is the same, we put her down on her tummy on her lambswool during the day to sleep which helps, Try *brauer colic relief *i think it;s from birth. at night try settling him on your chest and then transfer him to cot on his side.

Jess - good to see you here, can't wait to hear more details.

Rachel - hope the foot corrects itslef well, as for preschool we start prep (first year of formal school) the year they turn 5 (must be 5 before june 30th -otherwise wait until next year)

Savina - know what you mean about having trouble feeding with other kids around. I am now an expert at feeding standing up :-) I don't think bottl;es will hurt whatever you need to keep your sanity. Some BM is better than none.

Sonia, when I was in hospital Claire had some shocking wind and cried all night. The midwife told me it is helpful to tilt them so their head is higher than their feet. Easy to do with those plastic box cot things they use in hospital.. maybe not so easy with a cot or bassinet though? But it did help her get some good burps and farts out on her own without me having to hold her there all the time, kwim? OMG No WAY on DTD just yet for me. The thought freaks me out - I think my stiches havent fully healed yet and I am worried about breaking them open. My back does get a bit stiff and sore, esp after a long feed.

Rachel, yay on fining a good dummy! Hope you can get yourself a nice back massage. I think I need one too. I put my name on a few childcare waiting lists while I was pregnant, and I've rang them all back to tell them Claire's DOB etc. I am hoping for a spot by about Sept, but i dont see it happening!

Not sur what is going on tonight with Claire. She just doesnt settle for very long. I might be in for a long long tonight i think!

Hi girls! Sounds like all our bubs are big feeders, keeping us busy.

A little about me and Tate, I had a quick labour (5&1/2 hours), he is a big boy (9pounds4ounces at birth), am breastfeeding, and he has a big brother, Aidan. B/feeding is sooooo hard, but soooo worth it. Yesterday Tate was feeding and I just burst into tears with the pain (my nipples are damaged from the inital days of constant sucking, and every time he latches on they dont have a chance to heal). I am now expressing day feeds, I have an abundant supply of milk (expressed 125ml from ONE BOOB!). They feel like they are getting better. Last night was OK, fed at 7pm, slept till about 1-2am (cant for the life of me remember the time), unsettled until 3:30am, woke for next feed at 6:30am and back to sleep now, unfortunately I am too awake to go back to sleep now like he has! I am not a big fan of dummies but I do think they are a help at this early stage, just to settle to sleep. I will try and use it as little as possible. Tate is a hungry hippo during the day, feeding every 2-3hrs which I didnt expect, but if it means long stints at night, I'm not complaining. The first few days I honestly felt like he was dranining me of all my energy, but am defenietly getting better.

Look forward to getting to know you all and your gorgeous bubbas!

You guys have been busy! I'm so tired - S is feeding so often. Sometimes every 1.5 hours, but from the sounds of it everyone else is having the same thing, so perhaps he's just going through a growth spurt. Had a pretty restless day yesterday where he wouldn't sleep for AGES, very windy. I'm going to start eliminating some stuff from my diet and start eating more mild foods, not that I've been eating loads of chilli or anything, but I did have a curry recently. It may make no difference at all but at least if I try then I know it's not that!

Was going to write more but it looks like he may finally be getting off to sleep so I'm going to see if I can get some zzzz's as well. Catch you all later...

Good afternoon ladies...
    Sarah, you did well with your typing. I am starting to learn the art of bf and typing too as it seems to be the only time I have to sit and be on the computer. I always let Grace come off the breast, burp her, put her back on and then when she comes off again I burp her and offer her the second breast. I was advised to always offer the second breast. Everyone seems to have their own advice and opinions but this seems to be working for us. I drink the most when I am bfing, I get SO thirsty. Sarah I think we are the same with prep so I am assuming then that kindergarten/preschool will be when she is turning 4 in the March? It feels like ages away but I am sure it will absolutely fly by before we are crying as our little ones go off into the big wide world!

Karina you were so organised with your childcare. We kept talking about looking at some but just never got there. Will have to look soon I suppose. I hope your night wasn't as bad as you were anticipating.

Jessica, wow for a fast labour. I hope your nipples start to feel better soon. Those first few days were definitely the worst for pain. The midwifes told me after a feed to express a little bit of milk and rub it on the nipple and then let it air dry for a few minutes before putting bra back on. It seemed to help and I haven't had any sores or blisters or cracking. WOW, 125ml from one boob. Can I ask how long you are expressing for? ARe you using a manual machine or electric? I have an avent isis which says that I shouldn't express for more than 5 minutes at a time on each boob so I was doing 5 on one then on the other then back again. I felt like if I could just keep going I could have gotten heaps more milk out but wasn't sure of the reasons as to why only 5 minutes. I don't really like expressing but really want to start doing it again so that DH can do some of the feeds too. We hadn't needed a dummy until recently as Grace had always settled really well with some cuddles. But just recently she has been rather unsettled, the dummy seems to be helping and thankfully (i know it's only after one day) but she didn't need it to get to sleep last night, it was only used in the day and evening and once she is really asleep we can pull it out and she not wake. We were worried that we would be up every 15 minutes having to put her dummy back in if she lost it. Touch wood but so far so good. We also have the avent ones but she just doesn't like them - the teats are too flat I think. The tommee tippee ones have a cherry teat, so something for them to grab onto. Glad you're feeling better. Looking forward to getting to know you too, and living so close will be good too once we are both sorted.

Sasha, you poor thing, every 1.5hrs would kill me!! Hope the diet thing works. The midwives told me to be careful with green vegetables as they can make babies very gassy - I don't know if you eat a lot of greens but thought I'd pass that on. Hope you managed to get some sleep when sebastian did.

Well, we had a much better night last night. fed at 10pm, 2.30am, 6am and then 9.30am. Feeling much better today. As I said, didnt' need the the dummy overnight. She is due for a feed now but was rather unsettled this morning and only just fell asleep an hour ago. Don't know whether to wake her or not or leave her go to 4 hours? She looks so peaceful. We are going out for dinner tonight so hopefully she will be settled for that. Gave her a bath this morning to help settle her - she still HATES her baths, screams until she is purple in the face all the way through, but she seems to really like it afterwards as she is quite happy to lie there naked and be massaged which helps with having to massage out her foot. I found out that if the foot didn't get fixed she would be pigeon toed, not a limp. Either way I don't want either so hopefully it will correct itself with us massaging it daily. Decided I'm staying away from the shopping centre for a while. she never settles when we go and I think it is just too much stimulus for her at the moment. Was gorgeous this morning. DH was in the kitchen wandering around and we were on the couch about 4 metres away and Grace was watching DH very intensly, she would follow him around. Was amazing as we didn't think she could see that far away yet. Because we have the bright red on the cornices and architraves in the nursery she is always looking around the room and at the roof - has resulted in her having a VERY strong neck which is good. The nurse the other day was amazed at how well she could hold her head up. Must go and organise some lunch now. Hope everyone has a good day.

hi all..
    looks like everyone is doing well which is great,
    i weighed taylen today he weighs almost 5 kgs he was 4.03 kgs at birth so he as put on a heap his doing well it must be all his snacks well he is really restless now must go
    savina

Savina, that is a great weigh gain, very impressive!

Rachel, yes it was fast, but also VERY intense! The girl I shared a room with arrived at the same time (about 3:10am), and delivered at 3:30am. So the midwives at Casey must have been happy with 2 'easy' labours! I have never heard of the '5minute' rule? Stuff that I say! I express as though Tate would be drinking, but it just takes me 1/4 of the time to get the milk out with the pump (btw, a manual Avent, same as yours I think). So because I am only feeding Tate on one side (and topping up with the other if he wants it), my boobs are that full. So after all that rambling, I can tell you that it takes me about 10mins to get that much! I did the expressing after a feed but they still came out REALLY sore. I have some Lansisoh (?) which is helping and I b/f before when we were out and I can honestly say it was a good experience, so we are getting somewhere! I can also tell now when the boob is empty, whereas a few days ago after a feed my boobs would still feel rock hard. I do believe that b/feeding is very hard but with ALOT of hard work, pain (for some), and persistence it gets easier every day (eventually!). I would consider becoming a bit of an advocate for it, a young(ish), person that real women can relate to. My thoughts on the hopspital, in summary, I can say it was OK/good, I def noticed the low water temperature, my midwife was good but not 'there', I was disappointed I had to share a room but it was busy, was pretty peeved when they told me I couldn't have visitors (besides DH) after Tate was born, because I was sharing a room. I refused to follow that rule, I would never turn my parents or DH's Mum or ESPECIALLY my DS away from their new grandchild/brother. Overall it was 'fine'. Ooh Tate crying, back later!

Jessica, I can't believe you were refused visitors - that's rediculous. It obviously really depends on who is working at the time as to what sort of experience you have. Dissapointing you had to share a room. I have to say we were lucky that we got a single room. It is so busy there now it is unbelievable. I know what you mean about the midwives. We didn't see ours too much either, it was definitely if you wanted them you had to ask, this suited us, and when we did need them they were extremely good. We just got some chocolates and a card and we are going to take it to the hospital tomorrow to say thanks. I hope they fix that water temp soon, it is rather annoying. Well, I'm going to have a rest before we venture out for dinner tonight.

Jessica congrats on the birth of Tate. Wow at 125ml from one boob. I cant even manage 40ml lol! Hope your nipples heal and feel better soon.

Sasha hope you managed to get some rest. I too was wondering if what I am eating is making Claire have wind.

Rachel , no luckily lst night was not too bad. Claire woke about 1 am , 3am , 6am. Then I managed a nice long (4hrs) of sleep after that. I sleep more between 5 and 11am than at night! Claire doesnt like the bath either. She is ok for the first 30 seconds, then she starts screaming and goes red, and doesnt stop till the bath is over, but then she seems to be quite happy after the bath. Hope you can massage out the thingy in Graces foot. We got told Claire has a clicky hip and we have to get an ultrasound in a few weeks to get it checked. I hope its nothing bad.

Claire has been sleeping nearly all day, and only waking up about 3 - 4 hours to have a feed. I woke up this morning covered in milk. Lovely! Going to the parents group tomorrow - I hope theyre nice. DH has been home all day, playing movies - those ones where they spend the entire 2 hours killing each other. I am so over listening to it. I'd rather listen to Claire scream than his movie!

Anyone elses baby have a wonky head?

Well need to eat again. Just cant stop eating!

Oh my a lot of typing goes on here! too tired and have izzy in my arms to right a long reply... But wanted to ask you gals a question...

How much sleep are your bubs getting? like 2 hours at a time or 5 hours? whats normal? how long inbetween feeds are you letting them go for? and how much sleep is too much?

Taia's Mum Guest

Hi Everyone!

Cass - I'm getting between 1-4hrs break between feeds...it really varies which makes it hard! Last night we were up every 1-2hrs but the night before it was every 4hrs!

Feeling very tired today but the homevisiting midwife is coming between 10.30-11.30am so I had to get up when she called at 9am to give me time to shower and tidy up a bit.

Mum left yesterday and I got really emotional! The afternoon went downhill from there with TJ crying most of the avo. She would feed, burb, nappy change and the repeat again! Made it really hard because I had to get to the shops by myself for the first time to get something for dinner. Got there in the end and I definately had the baby blues yesterday! Hoping today is better.

Wonder how Shell is going! Anyone heard anything?

xoxoxo

Cass, usually get between 3-4 hours with the occassional 2 hour feed in the afternoon and sometimes a longer period overnight (7hrs last night!). She has awake time usually in the morning. I feed her 3-4 hourly in the day, won't let her go more than 4 hours in the day, then she calls the shots overnight. I work on the theory she needs 6-8 feeds in a 24 hour period so if I can get most of them in the day then it's better. Also starts to establish a routine. Was advised to do this by a friend that was a midwife and it seems to work most days. I don't think there is such a thing as too much sleep at this age. I read that newborns sleep 16-20 hours a day! That's a lot of sleep. From what I understand there isn't a 'normal'. Every baby is different. Hope this helps.

Karina, I hope the clicky hip is ok. Did you have a good night last night? How was the parents group? Grace's neck muscles are so strong and she can hold her head up for a really long time, even the nurse was suprised at her neck control. It's so funny though, when she's hungry, she will move her head from side to side and make sucking noises.

Nat haven't heard from Shell either. Are you having a better day today? I hope you get some better sleep tonight. There's no explanation as to why they have off nights huh.

We had such a great night last night. Went out for dinner and Grace was so good. Asleep in the car all the way home and then woke once we got home. Fed her a bit early to settle down which didn't work, so DH took Grace out for a drive in the car at 12.45am as she loves the car. I went to bed. Grace asleep and in bed by 1.15 am, didn't wake again until just after 6am! We couldn't believe it. Fed then slept again until just after 10am. Not used to so much sleep! It was bliss! Just found out my father in law is paying us a visit for a couple of days from tomorrow (coming from Adelaide) to meet his granddaughter. Have some serious tidying to do today. DH is taking day off work as there is no way I could manage a trip to the airport yet. So that will be nice just unexpected. DH just got back with lunch, but before I go, a question. Does anyone else have this problem...I find when Grace gets over tired and I'm holding her, she really cracks it and it's as if she gets confused b/w wanting to sleep and feed as if she can smell the milk on me. She will only settle with DH. I don't know what to do about thid once DH goes back to work as he won't be here to settle her and it only happens at night. Any suggestions? DH suggested putting on one of his t'shirts but will grace still smell booby through that? ta.

Cass, with the sleep/feed thing, it varies from day to day with us. Today, Claire has been sleeping almost all day. I've fed her maybe every 4 hours, but they were only really short feeds. Last night she was unsettled from about 2am to about 5am. Sometimes she'll sleep for a good 4 hour block before needing a feed, other times she will wake every hour wanting a feed. Different every day for us! I am letting her decide when she wants to eat. I havent been waking her up when I think she needs it.

Natty, your day sounds like our first night home from hospital! Feed, burp, nappy change, repeat. I hope you are feeling better today. I was really teary and emotional when Claire was about 5-7 days old, when my milk came in.

Rachel, lol Claire does that sucky thing and moved her head like that when she wants a feed. Its so hard to get her to attach when she is doing that! Last night was a shocker. She was unsettled for like 3-4 hours. I was going crazy and emotional which probably made it worse because Claire was probably picking up on that and going crazy too. Poor DH too. I am hoping the clicky hip is nothing much - the Nurse at the baby health centre told me she couldnt feel the click. I might just go have the ultrasound the paed told me to get and see what they say. I am not too sure about your settling thing at night sorry. But i do think she will probably still smell booby. Claire can smell booby a mile away.

I went to the Parents Group today with Claire. It was quite nice actually and all the mums were very friendly. I wasnt too sure because its one of those suburbs where everyone has enourmous houses where I could park my whole house on their front verandah so i thought they might be snobby... but they were really lovely. tjhere were about 12 of us. About half of us had ourbaby at the same hospital as I did, and the other half had their baby across the road in the private hospital. At least one woman looked familiar, possibly from antenatal classes. I also weighed her today - 3.5kg, but that was with 2 layers of clothes and wrapped.. so probably a little less than that really.
    Only bad thing was that on the way there, i realised my car is on the way out. I think the clutch is going as I cant get it into gear half the time. Not what I need right now!!!! Not paying in excess of $1000 to get a new clutch on a car worth $100! But these things happen. I just hope it doesnt die when I am driving with Claire in the car.

Anyone else still got that belly line? Mine is still really dark.

Anyone else feel like their milk has decresed? I am not really feeding mroe often than before, but I dont feel like my breasts are full, and when I feed Claire, it doesnt feel like I am feeding her much. Any one else?

Agh kewl thanks ladies...
    I was getting worried because izzy is a great sleeper at night, will sleep 6-7 hours if i let her, and i wasnt too sure if that was a good thing or bad thing... during the day her feeds are 3-4 hours... but at night she does like her sleep~ she like her mummy

Cass you lucky duck....6-7 hours a night would be bliss. As long as Izzy is having regular wet nappies then whatever she wants is ok.

Karina, glad your parents group was good. I don't know when mine starts. Yep, I still have the belly line but I don't notice it as much now, probably because it isn't stretched out over a big belly anymore, lol! That's a buggar about your car, hope it holds out for you. Milk has definitely settled down which is apparently normal as it adjusts to their needs, not as full and sore as the initial days. I know by Graces weight gain that there is no problem with my supply and the other day when she slept for 7 hours between feeds I was bursting and in agony, so obviously she just takes exactly what she needs. I'm sure your supply is fine it is just fine tuned to Claire's needs.

I knew our night of 7 hours sleep was a once off. Last night we were up every hour from 3 am and she had 2 feeds at 2 hours apart. She has now been asleep for 2 and a half hours, hoping she makes it to the 3. Have a feeling it is because she only had 5 feeds from midnight to midnight yesterday as she slept through her 10.30 feed, I thought about waking her but thought she would wake soon then I fell asleep, she didn't wake until 12.45am. So theory is she was catching up her feeds, which makes sense and goes well with what I was told about sticking to 3-4 hour feeds in the day so that she doesn't need extra feeds at night. Hopefully better night tonight. DH has taken today off work as father in law is coming over and arrives at airport this afternoon right in peak time. Thought a trip to the airport would be a bit much at this stage as it will probably takin him an hour to get there, time to pick up luggage etc, and probably about 2 hours plus to get home due to traffic, especially on a friday. That would be hard to fit feeds in so thought I'd give that one a miss. This will be first meeting between grandpa and grace so very exciting. He leaves on Sunday night so they will have some nice time together. Lucky DH didn't go to work today with the night we had! lol!

Anyway, hope everyone else is well. Have a great weekend.

SossiGirl is offline Believes things do happen for a reason.. but sometimes would like to know what the reason is

OMG.. a couple of days without logging on and i am way behind.

I am sooo tired girls.. Exhausted, been out everyday this week and havent been sleeping all that well so its all catching up with me, only going to out of the house two days next week the rest i am staying home and getting some rest.

I brought the Brauer Stomach Calm for Kaiden and is has worked ..YAY.. Although still not going down straight away during the night/morning, a very good boy during the day. Feed lastnight about 2hrly. Have done up a feed/sleep chart on Excel so hoping to keep track, at th emoment i try to remember what times but when i get up in the morning if orget, my memory has gone to mush..

I purchased the book Baby Love by Robin Barker.. Its my bible.. Really good information on everything a mum needs to know.

DH keeps taking Kaiden out of the basinett to settle him when he doesnt really need to be .. not happy about this because i want Kaiden to try and get to sleep on his own.. how do i tell DH this.. MIL & FIL are over so dont want to tell DH what to do infront of them.. Ahhhh

Well better go.. cant be on the computer all night when Inlaws are here.

Ciao for now.

OH still hvae my line down my tummy.

Health Nurse said Kaiden is one very very healthy boy. Now weighs 3.80kg.. YAY.. put 700grams on over the last two weeks.

I guess i pretty lucky! I havn't had one bad night with Izzy (yet) WE had a few tested afternoons... but most of the time as soon as i pick her up she fine... Loves cuddles with mum!

Izzy slept for 7hours last night... then woek up for fed/burb/change/cuddle and back to bed...

We went an saw the midwife, and Izzy is now 4.7kilo's! At 2 weeks old... She'z mummies gutzy girl!

And for anyone else with cracked nipples - my midwife said "pawpaw ointment is good" just put a think layer on and let to dry... So i'm trying that now... And hoping it works... This breastfeeding is a rewarding but painful job! lol!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast