Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born March 2007

Hi girls...hey Jessica, great to see you here!!

Just thought I'd pop in and say hi. I'm another Cass...rofl...which is funny considering I think I've only come across a few over the years.

A little about us - My little man Oskar decided he was ready to meet us on Monday just gone (26th) and took only 3 1/2 hours...he was in such a hurry he ended up in distress (HB dropping to approx 40 at the end of each contraction) as my waters were in his way and bulging but hadn't broken, my cervix was good to go and I'd felt like pushing for about an hour by then. When they ruptured the membranes there was meconium, so he was then vacuum assisted due to the toxin risk. I got 2nd degree tear but it's healing ok just uncomfortable. He was a little trooper though and is doing great!! I'm very proud of him. We've been home for a couple of days and he feeds like it's going out of fashion. Midwife did home visit yesterday and he's already put on 70 grams!!!! Today though I am feeling like a combination of a feeding machine or a huge dummy...lol. He just wants to be snuggled with mum today and really...I'm LOVING it anyway.

Anyway, will chat more soon...can't wait to share the journey together.

Cass blob, how lucky that Izzy is sleeping 6-7 hours! Interesting about the paw paw stuff, thanks for that tip. I'll be getting some if I get more pimply!

Ozzihoffy congrats on the birth of Oskar. What a cute name. Yay that youre doing really well.

Rachel, how exciting Grace got to meet her grandfather. Claire hasnt met my dad yet. Maybe one day she will. I agree, the trip to the airport would ahve been a bit much.

Sonia, ikwym about brain going to mush. I forget everything straight away! hope you manage to get mroe rest. I find I get the most rest in the mornings between 5 and 10am. Claire seems to have a decent sleep between this time. I am trying to sleep when she sleeps! Glad the Stomach Calm thind has worked. hmm not sure about telling your hubby not to pick up Kaiden all the time. Maybe you could try something like "i find he settles on his own if you leave him a few minutes" lol.

Some of you have mentioned feeding being painful... I cant say I found breastfeeding to be painful to begin with, but these last few days it has been a little painful. Like a stinging feeling. I have no idea why, but it makes it hard... I take her off when it hurts so I dont destroy my nipples, but then its is hard to get her to attach again as she fusses and pushes away. No idea what is going on.

We just got home from a nice long walk. We were given one of those Baby Bjorn things so we thought we would test it out. Its quite nice once you have it on, but I found it really confusing to put on and do up! I have to say though, its so much easier to walk around like that rather than pushing our huge pram around.

I am wondering about Catherine.. wehavent heard from her in a little while. Wonder if she has had her baby?

Hi all, so knackered after all the visitors and having to do touristy things with them plus had 8 people here for the last 4 days and only a 7 seater car so Ariya and *i have been bussing it which makes for a long day! Wonderful to have the visitiors though, Xander had a ball with all his aunty's and uncles.

Ariya is all out of wack after having so many people here and lots of cuddles and disruptions. she is very unsettled during her awake time and so hard to know whats wrong! She was awake for hours yesterday as we were down at the beach and there was just soooo much to look at (including her big brother who was so tired from running and swimming all day ran full pelt into a pole while playing football and has a huge egg on his head - very scary as the thump was that loud people came running from all over with ice and first aid kits!)

I am amazed at what she is doing at the moment pushing up on her elbows and rolling (although I have heard this is a reflex and will disappear???) also she is trying really hard to coordinate her arms and occasionally will try and reach for something. How weird is this - she actually giggled the other day. My sil is my witness, we were changing her nappy and this full on chortle came out of her mouth -actually a little spooky :-)

Rachel - with the smelling milk thing will the dummy work? I usually put Ariya over my shoulder to settle her so she isn't in the feeding position as she will start mouthing when tired too. If she is overtired though and we have been trying to settle for a while *i will usually offer another feed which settles her. I found with Xander that BF babies do get a lot more out of BF than just milk, it is a big comfort to them when they are unsettled, in pain etc. We do the same with the dummy, usually just through the day when she is unsettled.

Cass and Natt - hope your nipples are feeling better soon. Mine took a beating from Ariya and we are now using shields as I couldn't stand the pain and with my slightly flat nipples she just couldn't get enough in her mouth to stop the grazes and cracks. We've now partially weaned off the shields on the left side - woohoo. It is hard work and hard to learn too - you are doing a great job to keep going.

Karina - pleased your parents group was nice. Had the same thing with my boobs not feeling as full etc and was wondering the same as you. I remember around 6 wks they settled with Xander so maybe they are just settling early???? I have been keeping a good eye on wet nappies and weight gain just to make sure my supply is not dropping. Also Anyone else only get the letdown feeling on one side?

Hi Cass #2 - we had a 3 1/2 hour labour too! Too fast and furious for me would have liked a slightly slower labour *;-*0 Glad to hear you and your little man are doing well.

Jess - congrats on your little boy Tate!

OK can't remember anything else, off to find out more about this modern cloth as we are really enjoying using cloth. Anyone got any pros cons on different sorts?

oh Karina - keep an eye out for thrush, if you or claire have white on her tongue or your nipple, it can cause a burning or stabbing feeling in the nipple and makes their mouth itch so they don't feed well. You can grab something over the counter at the chemist for it.

Welcome Cass2 (Ozzihoffy), nice to meet you and happy to share this journery with you. 3 1/2 hour labour sounds a wee bit intense! Glad that you are both doing well. Cuddles must be the prescription for today!

Cass, make the most of the 6-7 hours sleep. Hopefully it lasts for you, but I know from Grace she slept great for the first 2 weeks and has had a few unsettled nights recently which the maternal and child health nurse said was normal and would probably get worse before it gets better! I hope it doesn't get worse that's for sure!

Karina I hope the stinging feeling goes away. SOunds like you are doing the right thing pulling her off, ashame she then fusses though. I occassionally get a stinging/burning feeling which is caused by poor attachment so I have to take her off too. She fusses for a while but then gets back on. Other times I pull her off and if I'm too slow she will try to reattach herself, which is not good as she only ever gets the nipple, owee! We are probably going to get a hug a bub, glad the baby bjorn worked for you. I'm wondering what Catherine had too!

Sarah you must be buggard having to bus it! I couldn't imagine it, I didn't catch the bus before having Grace, lol! We have Grace's grandfather staying with us this weekend, which is great as it is their first meeting, but she has been so unsettled yesterday and today, and I wonder if it is because things are slightly different and there is a 'strange' voice here all the time. Plus DH went back to work today so he wasn't here for the first time either. It is so tiring. I was up almost every 30 minutes last night, not needing to pick her up but it was as if she needed reassurance that we were still here. Today she barely slept and when she did sleep she would only do it if we were cuddling her. I think she has had 45 minutes in her cot today. I finally got her into her cot at 9.30 so fingers crossed that she has a good sleep as I am finding it very exhausting. I think it must be overstimulation, there's so much to see! we tell her that we won't let her miss out on anything if there is anything to see. Gosh, I hope Xander is ok. Lucky they have hard heads and move on pretty quickly, can you imagine if an adult did that, we would be feeling sorry for ourself for days! lol! The giggle would have been weird! but cute. Grace does the elbow thing too - she is getting so strong. Dummy doesn't work in this situation, she is over my shoulder not near my boobs. Sometimes we have tried the other feed and she falls asleep on the boob but then wakes screaming as soon as I try to move her. We'll figure it out. In regards to cloth, we've only used flanalette flats which have been great but we've had to go to disposable at night as she wets too much and the flannies don't last - she hates a wet nappy so she screams! We have 2 pea pods but we haven't used them yet as they are still a wee bit big. If you can keep up with the cloth nappies thread they seem to be in the know, I can't keep up though!!

As I said, father in law over which is nice but having an unsettled daughter makes it very tiring. She was awake for 4 hours straight this afternoon, even a feed didn't knock her out!! lol. Hopefully she will sleep well overnight as she is so tired. Hard to nap when she is awake all afternoon, luckily grandpa was happy to hold her and let her sleep (she didn't want her cot this afternoon, liking cuddles) so mummy could go sleep, felt 100% better afterwards. Got a bit teary this evening when she fed and then wouldn't go to sleep again, just frustrated as to why she wouldn't sleep as she is so exhausted. DH gave her a bath (which she still hates) but settled afterwards with a feed and is finally asleep. yay. DH went back to work today so last night was the first night where I did it all myself as I wanted DH to sleep for work and she had the worst night yet! It was weird not having DH here today. He said it was weird being away as well. I couldn't imagine going to work right now, I couldn't leave her! Hope everyone else is having good nights and days.

Rachel - just wanted to let you know someone else is going through the same thing at the moment! Ariya is overtired but will only sleep while being held. will be thinking of you as we pace the halls this evening. DH has been nursing her so I could have some timeout but my time is up. Had lots of fun looking at all the funky cloth nappies and online baby stores :-) Enjoy having grandad there, visitors are great, they never seem to tire of giving cuddles :-)

Sooo tired, two nights in a row that S has not slept well - night before last he woke at 2:45 for a feed and then wouldn't go back to sleep, eventually dropped off around 4 (ugh!) and then this morning woke at 4 and has been grumpy and grizzly ever since. I put him on the table on a playmat on his stomach and he finally dropped off to sleep - it's been half an hour, yay! But of course I can't leave him like that so looks like sleep is over for me for now

poo. he just woke up!! might give him a feed and see if that helps - be back later!

Hello girls!

Time just flies, I have been meaning to post but there always seems to be something to do around the house.

Tate had his first MCHN check-up and had put on 260grams in 5 days. No joke. Just like with DS#1, I have enough booby milk to feed an army and it seems to be laced with steroids! Although uncomfortable and sometimes difficult (fast flow means it is ticking his throat and pulls off at times), I refuse to complain, I remind myself we are VERY lucky.

Personally I find b/feeding a little painful every time and for me I just think it's one of those things. It def hurts at the start of a feed which I know is normal, but I think the constant sucking is 'uncomfortable' too, I figured its just something I have to put up with, because Tate is def getting lots of milk so it cant be an attachment thing, and I can rule all other things out because I have no symptoms. Sometimes I even have let-downs when Tate isn't attached, it can strike at any time (!) and is a def stinging feeling. I need to design a special bra that can catch all the excess milk!!!

Sleeping has been good so far, seems to be in a routine of lots of feeds during the day then a long stint (6hrs) at night. I am a bit worried though because today he has slept quite a bit this afternoon/evening. I hope he doesn't expect to be playing at 3am!!

hi brooke, how did your birth go? good to hear Lucas is being good for his mummy.

Jessica - I get a letdown at strange times too, and funnily enough my DH brought home exactly what you were describing. the chemist reccomm them when my nipples were all cracked at the beginning, they actually catch the milk and you can feed it to bub - very interesting invention :-)

Ariya has had a better day but still unsettled. Went and got some colic stuff today as she seemed to be really in pain. It has certainly helped her relax but now she is overtired and won't fall into a deep sleep.

Hope everyone else is having better days (and nights)

Hello, father in law left tonight. DH took him to the airport and I thought, ripper, first time for Grace and me to be alone together and I can get some sleep and some me time. HUH!!!! She had other ideas. She fed at 6pm and then wouldn't sleep unless being held and was still very light and would wake and grizzle at any movement. Changed nappy - still crying, more cuddles and walking walking -still crying, very overtired little girl, so went for the bath - she still hates the bath BUT fell asleep in my arms afterwards, put her in cot - wakes up! Try to settle her in cot with no succes so pick her up - now 8pm, trying to make dinner while holding her - she fell asleep, put her in cot and she has remained there since - yay! Poor little thing is exhausted. Was due for a feed at 9pm (3 hours) but hasn't woken. I'm not waking her, she had extra feeds this afternoon so I'm going to let her sleep.

Sarah, thanks, I know it's not unusual but golly gosh it is tiring. We are getting much better at trying to work out what is wrong.

Bec, you poor thing, I hope you have a better night tonight. It is so hard. I'm nervous about tomorrow night as DH is on night shift from 5pm to 7am so it will be just me. My mum would be over in a flash if I asked her but to be honest I really just want time for us - i'm a bit over family visitors at the moment - hope that doesn't sound harsh as it's not meant to be.

Hey Brooke, great to hear from you. Glad everything is going well. It definitely helps to get sleep overnight.

Hi Jessica, another fast growing baby. Good on you for keeping up with the breastfeeding even if it is uncomfortable. I know what you mean about the let down thing occurring at strange times. Still not a feeling I am used to.

Father in law purchased a hug a bub for us today, online, can't wait for it to arrive. Very kind of him to get that for us. Hopefully Grace will like it (once I figure out how to use it!). Hope everyone has a good night.

wats a hug a bub???????? unsure

well ive had to cATCH UP on everything well Taylen has been very unsettled lately he doesnt like being left unheld well thats wat i reckon he cries and if i pick him up he usually stops but last nite he screamed himself to sleep as i kept offereng bf but he kept getting really crnky with it, so i figured he wasnt hungry his on my lap now and has been having cries but i jusdt heard him snore and his little head flop so i better go put him down ...
    gosh he didnthave big feeds last nite so my right boob was so hard and it ached in pain way to much milk so i was keen to feed him ,,,,,

i still get that milk let down pain ??
    cass- izzy is still tiny my taylen is 5kgs now at 3 weeks and 5 days old his a piggy ....sounds like every one is doin really well
    savina

Sarah, thats nice about having all those visitors. Bummer about having to catch a bus everywhere - how tiring. I hope there were some nice people who let you sit down or helped you get the pram onto the bus. That is something I'm not loooking forward to, but i know i'll ned to catch the bus sooner or later since my car is about to die. Is Xander is ok after that bump on the head? Thanks, yeah maybe my breasts are just settling down a bit and not making such a milk overload anymore. Gosh, i hope i dont have thrush. What a pain. I'll have to watch out for that.

Rachel, yay on getting a hugabub. People rave about them so they must be pretty good. I am pretty sure that sometimes Claire doesnt attach properly when feeding - like Grace, she just takes the end of my nipple and chomps on it. ouchie! Oh no, we had a similar night to you the other night. Last night Claire took a really long time to settle - she was wide awake but we could tell she was so tred for about 3 hours straight, then she was waking everying hour too, but she would be perfectly quiet while I was holding her but as soon as she was in her bed she wasnt happy. She eventually just fell aslep. I dont know what i did, she was probably just sooo tired.

....it sounds like a few of us are having looong sleepless nights! hopefully just a phase, hey.

Brooke, great to hear everything is good!

Jessica, yay that Tate is putting on plenty of weight! About getting let downs at random times, my mum told me she used to get them whenever she heard any baby cry (even a baby that wasnt hers). I still dont really know what let down is though hahah. I just noticed you have another son called Aidan - we were going to call Claire Aidan if she turned out to be a boy.

Savina, hugabub is a thing for carrying baby in - Like a pouch and baby goes in it and you wear it so you can go for a walk without having to push a pram and have your hands free to do stuff, etc. Very cool invention. I hope Taylen is getting a bit of sleep now.. give you the chance to have some time out too.

Can someone explain to me exactly what the letdown thing is? I'm probably having thisfeeling, but I just dont know that it has that name.

SossiGirl is offline Believes things do happen for a reason.. but sometimes would like to know what the reason is

I am also going through the same thing, I cant settle Kaiden, I spend half my day/night settling him in my arms put him down and he wakes up, there is only so much milk he can have as he just brings it back up. I am exhausted. I just put him down now after two hours of trying to get him down..

Lets hope that we are all going through this for only a short time more and then things will settle down again...

Taia's Mum Guest

Hi everyone - just thought I would check in. TJ had a bad night last night and I've only just managed to have some breakfast! I've caught up on all the news but don't have the energy at the moment to reply!
    Hope you are all well!

Hi again girls,

Tate has been a good boy so far today, DH's first day back at work. It has helped that we have kept DS#1 in child care on Mondays. I have been able to do some ironing, vaccuuming, mopping, showering and eating!

I am doing with Tate what I did with DS#1 which is letting him sleep in a bouncer during the day, not in complete darkness. I think this has helped both of them distinguish day and night. It worked for Aidan and so far it is working for Tate, he fed at 10pm last night and woke again at 3:30am, and again at 7am. Day feeds are normally 3hourly, sometimes 2. And dont hate me but after the night feeds he falls straight back to sleep (after a nappy change and wrapping him tightly). It might be worth a try doing something similar? I dont know, but it has worked for us so far *touch wood*.

Not sure how many of you have children, but reading your posts I can so sympathise, it is by far the hardest job in the world, reading their signs, working out a routine etc etc etc but the good news is (if you plan on having more?!) I can say personally it is much easier 2nd time round. I wish I could share my knowledge but I think it is something that we all have to go through and each baby is so different IYKWIM?! I just think routine is REALLY important, my MCHN once told me, follow the 'feed, play, sleep' routine and I try to do that. So Tate wakes up, straight on the boob, then keep him awake or put him in front of some toys for awhile, then bounce/rock/cuddle him to sleep. Wake up, start all over again!

I am glad I am not the only one getting let-downs at random times. Rachel, I'll be sure to look out for the other person besides me at Fountain Gate suddenly clutching their boobs in pain!

Karina, I have always had my heart set on the name 'Aidan'!
    Last edited by *Jessica*; April 2nd, 2007 at 02:48 PM.

Hello...well I am on my own tonight for the very first time. DH has gone back to work tonight so it's just myself and Grace, I am praying for a good night. Had a nap this afternoon just in case. I'm sure we will be fine but it will certainly be weird not having DH here as it has been over 5 weeks since his last night shift. Wish me luck!! lol!!

Savina hope you have a better night tonight. It is so much harder at night when they won't settle I reckon.

Karina hope you have a better night. Grace has moments like that too where she will sleep in my or DH arms but won't have a bar of her cot or any other thing that means I can put her down. I am praying she doesn't have one of those nights tonight being just me. Luckily they are few and far between. I do find that I can't put Grace down to sleep if she isn't already asleep. She won't fall asleep on her own. Does anyone know if we need to teach them to do this or will they learn on their own and if we have to teach them when do we start? I hope it's not now though, it would be so hard to leave her screaming in her cot for too long. But on the other hand we don't want her to get into a habit of having to fall asleep in someone's arms before going to bed especially as she gets older. I don't really know exactly what the let down thingy is but I know I randomly get a weird pain in my boobs, usually around the nipple region, almost a burning or tugging and I leak a bit of milk. Very bizarre feeling. I think let down has something to do with the release of milk when the baby is on, rather than it just dribbling out when they suck it squirts out - you can see it really clearly when you express. I THINK that is what it is...I may be completely wrong though.

Sonia, I hear you girl. Grace has moments like that. Sometimes i find a change of person to hold her helps other times I don't know what I do different but suddenly she will just sleep. I have to say the dummy has really helped with this, I suppose it's a comfort for her, and she has been known to fall asleep vigorously sucking on her dummy, then it falls out and I put her down and she stays. No rhyme or reason to it though. Hope you have a better one tonight.

Nat, you poor thing. Hope you have managed to get some rest (and some more food!). All I can say is I believe it will get better, especially as they get older and start to establish bit more of a routine - that is what I keep telling myself anyway, lol.

Jessica, lol at the booby grabbing in fountain gate! Glad to hear everything is going well. I hoped it was easier the second time around, at this stage I don't know how you would do it with another little toddler, I suppose it isn't a completely new experience if you have been there before and you are a bit cluey on what to expect next etc. The feed, play, sleep routine sounds good but I find with Grace when she has her 'awake' time, she won't generally fall asleep again until after her next feed, so then she gets cranky cause she is tired and we end up feeding earlier than planned. We do a similar thing to establish night and day, it is noisy and bright in the day (vacuumed under her cot when sleeping the other day, she didn't wake), then at night it is dark and quieter. It generally seems to be working, touch wood that it remains so.

Hope everyone is well and getting some sleep. Speak soon.

*sneaking in as I'm supposed to be studying*

Hope everyone is doing well, Sounds like we are all going through the same thing at the moment. I am loving my HAB at the moment although it is a pain to get on adn I need to have the aricon on as it very hot up here still, but at least I can get things done. I am also really naughty as I get Ariya settled on her belly and then flip her over once she is in a deep sleep. Both my kids seem to be big tummy timers. We always keep a close eye on her though.

Sonia - the best phrase anyone told me as a parent is "this too will pass" and it is so true. Just when you think you can't stand another unsettled day they will snap out of it. Hoping you have a better day tomorrow.

Karina - yeah Xander is good as new, he was back out on the field 5 min after didn't even want an ice pack. I would have still been lying down screaming :-) The letdown for me feels like my boobs are on a very fast elevator, like a dropping burning feeling. And yep I'm forever grabbing my boobs to stop the flow as i hardly ever remember to wear breast pads. Today I had a letdown when the phone rang - what the?

OK really have to go now, so wish there were more hours in the day. Absolutely buried under a mountian of washing at the moment, wishing everyone sleepy baby vibes

Xander is getting really clingy at the moment esp when I am BF Ariya, which is quite frustrating but trying so hard in my sleep deprevation to be patient. he is also really tired from having lots of visitors so fingers crossed it is just a stage.

Rachel - hope you and grace are having a nice night together. Just in my experience too don't worry about giving them too many cuddles, Xander lived in his sling for the first 9mths of his life just about as he hated being left alone and he is the most independant child around. Very self confident and adjusts really well to new situations. We do attachment parenting though which isn't everyones cup of tea (not like A Current Affair Attachemnt Parenting though :-)

Jess - we are doing the feed play sleep thing too, although we just sort of fell into it, it is working really well. Xander was the opposite he was a feed to sleeper - i guess each one is different hey. How is aidan coping with the new bubba

Back again

Well, today was AWFUL, S wouldn't sleep and was screaming his head off, I can honestly say that he has never been this bad at home. He has sometimes done that uncontrollable screaming in the car but never when I was there and able to comfort him. Not sure if he was windy or overtired, or maybe just having a cranky day, but he settled down around midday and has been a bit better this afternoon. Took him out in the pram and he fell asleep, and now after a huge feed he has settled down a bit and is starting to drop off to sleep. Finally!

Rachel, hope your first night without DH was OK.

Sarah I'm hopefully getting my hugabub this week, was going to buy it online but there's a place locally which sells them so I'll get it from them since they can then help me a bit to show me how to put it on! We're into attachment parenting too.

Sonia, hope Kaiden's tummy settles down a bit - Sebastian had a vomit yesterday morning (which I deftly caught in the laundry trough!) and has been sneezing a bit, so I wonder if he's had a bit of a cold? I put some saline water up his nose on Saturday as he was having trouble breathing. He hated it!! But it did the trick and made him sneeze and he breathed better after that.

My letdown feels a bit painful, kind of like a stinging. If S cries sometimes I get letdown, and sometimes for no apparent reason at all! And this afternoon a baby was crying outside and I got it too.

Hmm, did I say he was going to sleep for the night - spoke too soon! Hopefully a better day tomorrow.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast