Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born March 2008 #2

white noise is monotonous rhythmic sound, so things like vacuum cleaners, dryer etc. help. i found that the electric breast could also help. it's because they are like the rhythmic sounds of blood flowing through the arteries that bub used tohear.

bron - thanks hun. he seems ok. i was quite upset the other day as i mentioned inmy post. laskhman still is in the low weight percentile, so i have continue with his formula. just when i thought my breastmilk as getting better and some feeds he seems satisfied with it. *sigh* im still feeling a bit upset.
    i love those pix of will, he looks soooo yummy!!! finger licking good! lol.

hello girls, been reading all posts but havent posted.

motilium is the medication given by GPs to increase breast milk, but there are side effects like bad headaches. i didnt get them, nor did it increase my milk.. dont think it did anything....

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

How do you know if you're producing enough milk? I had heaps when Jazz was first born but now I don't know if I'm getting enough. She feeds for heaps longer and sucks harder and now wants both boobs for at least 15-20mins each. Including burping, the whole process now takes me over an hour coz she likes upto half an hour break between boobs.

Sorry guys, White noise is the sound that you get on the radio in between stations, or when your tuning in your TV to stations - the sound you get when you see the grey static fuzz on the screen. It works wonders, and they like it LOUD!.

Hi all!

Great news Bron, glad everything is going so well for you both. The wind is a problem here too, everything i eat at the moment gives both me and her wind i am trying to eat well but not winning too much. Summer is a rocket bum sometimes and geez it smells my Mum sais how does such a gorgeous little thing smell so bad hehe.

Prama could it be that from your heritage he is just a smaller baby? I think you mentioned that before it does make sense. I think anyone would be upset and frustrated in your shoes, you are one tough cookie even though it prob doesn't feel like it from our perspective you are doing so well.

Danni, i've had lots of those trips in the past they are not fun at all esp if you do feed them and rush and don't burp them properly. Joys of parenting! Just wait for the spew in the car when they are older or the fighting with siblings, i swear my car is a boxing ring sometimes and everyone is yelling at each other hehehe.

I went to the gym yesterday was told not to do much at all no weights no classes and only light cardio for another 3 weeks so did just that and felt great until the end of the day i was exhausted so must remember not to do too much.

Had another manic day today was getting ready for soccer and got a call saying one of the games had been brought forward and was starting in 15 mins it was mad house trying to get everyone out the door, i was a little annoyed but oh well... So 2 games of soccer then had to drive 45 mins to meet SIL so she could finally meet Summer, had some lunch then stopped in at Mums for a coffee.

I have decided i am going to go down the cloth nappy route, i have already gone through 2 boxes of newborn nappies, how bad is that imagine how many by toilet training. So confusing in the beginning.. Thanx for the info SJ i have a few more Q's for you i'll do tomorrow.

So tired now but the girls want to watch a movie. My house is a mess and it makes me feel horrible as i have to step over crap everywhere so i know what i will be doing tomorrow CLEANING!!

Yeah, white noise is just any background noise that you kind of don't pay attention to, the TV, people talking in a cafe, traffic.

Miss 3 will sleep through anything because we live on a main road and the TV is always on in our house lol.

Daniella - I used to feel a little uncomfortable bf in public but have no problem now. If people have an issue its their problem not mine. I bf Madison today on a bench in the middle of Ingle Farm shops but I'm discreet, I drape a blanket over her so nothing can be seen.

thanks trina - paed said everyone uses the same graph. he also said he could be slow then pickup, and that he shouldnt necessarily be on the lower end of the spectrum cos steve's big. so will see.
    who plays soccer? sorry, trina, you've mentioned before but i cant remember who;s the oldest, was it Paige?
    Lakshman stinks so bad too. i dont know what in my diet that makes him do stinky rumbles.. sometimes it sounds like a tropical thunderstorm in there!

we're using bbhs at home but disposables when we go out. because he's tiny, his bum looks gigantic with the nappies on.

i went for a swim today, and it felt good, i was surprised how quick i got out of shape. im so tired, i zonked out just now. road to losing weight, im sure i will as mum leaves tomorrow, she;s been feeding me senseless. i'll so miss her.... i hope lakshman will love his mummy lots too, and i can be a good a mother as my mum is..

Well, once again in the past hour I've fed Jazz about 15 mins on each boob TWICE and she still wants more. Maybe I'm not making enough milk to feed 3 hourly. I'm making a couple of bottles up for her tonight. I don't even feel full any more when it's time for her feed. Probably using the nipple shield all the time has affected my production (I've been told that can happen coz the boobs aren't properly stimulated). I do keep trying her without the shield but she just wont attach. I was meant to have a midwife appointment yesterday but I cancelled because at the last minute I had to go to the other side of town to pay a deposit on our new car. She's going to ring me on Monday. I've also got the Child & Youth Health nurse coming out on Monday afternoon. I'll have to ask them all about the milk.

Hey ladies. Still getting used to how busy it is in here compared to belly buddies. Takes me ages to catch up lol. Long Post Warning:

For all of you who are concerned with baby's feeding habits. I took DD2 to docs yesterday just for a check up. Find it helps to clear up any questions. I was actually concerned about her umb. stump but goey and bloody is normal. Phew.
    Anyways, I was also concerned because she mucks around with feeding. Sometimes, she has a suck and detaches and then re attaches and basically just mucks around a lot. Then she will feed and want more less then an hour later. She is all over the place too. I don't remember DD1 being this all over the place. Plus DD2 has severe wind. She is non start farty bum!! Even in her sleep. I of course did the normal thing and blamed my diet for her bum screams, and thought i wasn't producing enough milk. However doc allayed my fears and said that all babies muck around like that for the first few weeks, sometimes even up to 2 months. He said it will take them a while to sort themselves out on the breast. 9 times out ten it is NOT the breast milk. As long as they are healthy there is no cause for alarm. Just have to stick it out with them until they work out day and night and start and finish.
    DanielaBela- If you want to know baby is getting enough milk, 5-6 soaking wet nappies a day is a good indication. To make sure I am producing well while baby is still settling in is, I express BM and store in fridge for next feed. I pump 60mls per feed which she generally almost finishes. I do it while she sleeps, about half an hour after she goes down. I know this is hard if she is waking up all the time but you can at least get one breast pumped in the time it takes for them to have a nap. Pumping of course has been helping me produce good amounts at regular intervals. Plus I can see how much she is drinking. And I know she is getting the fatty hind milk which is important for weight gain. Word to the wise, Once you start using formula, you will end up giving up on BF all together. Of course it doesn't apply to everyone. But once you see how much easier it is, you tend to go "Blow it, this is better. Baby is happy." And there is nothing wrong with that! But if you are really wanting to BF, try and hang in there because more often then not, its just a transitionary period. Maybe try pumping first to see for yourself to see how much you are producing? It worked a treat for me this time around. I ended up giving up and formula feeding DD1. As soon as I stopped BF she got life threatening allergies and terrible asthma and excema. Fingers crossed I can keep it up this time! All well so far. Also feeding in public. I could not agree with you more!! It was another reason I gave up BF with DD1. So this time I bought wonderful things called breast feeding blankets. Made from cotton and specifically designed to hide everything and your baby while you feed. Nursing Blankets, Nursing Covers, Breastfeeding Privacy Nursing Blanket, Breast Feeding Cover Shawl - Easy Feed Breastfeeding Blankets Also I pump now before I go out so I can feed bubs BM on the go. I don't know why I didn't think of that before with DD1. It makes it so much easier. I remember I would be half way through a grocery shop and DD1 would wake up for a feed!! I would have to dump everything and leave it to go and feed her. I have DD1 in the trolley next to DD2 now so I can't do that anymore. I just whip out the bottle and feed DD2. So much easier!!

Will try and get hold of white noise cd. I do like to keep it noisy so she settles better. TV and Music what not. There are days where she just wants to cuddle too!! I got more smiles out of her today. She is so alert for a almost 2 weeker. She actually returned a real smile at me at one week old. I don't believe in the gas smile theory. In my opinion, if they can smile in the womb, then why not after??

Family dramas are dying down, with an awful peak last night. Rang my MIL to see if DH was there hiding out from my mum as he volunteered to leave while my mum was up until Monday to help. She of course wanted to know what was going on and blamed everything on my mother being up. They had a falling out a year ago. Won't bore you all with details. She then went on to tell me to send my mother home and tell her to keep her mouth shut. I only rang up to see where DH was and she gets on the band wagon. I ripped shreds off her. I officially reached boiling point and could hold my tongue no more. My MIL is one of those MIL's that only does things for you to remind you of how wonderful she is as a person, and to make you feel obligated for all the things she does. She brought up totally irrellevant things last night, and made her son out to be golden boy. She attacked my family and totally butt her nose in. It was disgusting and petty. I basically told her to take her own advice and keep her mouth shut. Let DH and I sort it out for ourselves. She thinks she needs to come and in 'fix' everything. Told DH via email what had happened. He then abused her this morning, told her exactly what he thinks of her (and it isn't much, much to her suprise). He also told her he didn't want to have anything to do with her and handed the keys back to their house. (Which was a bit harsh). We live in one of their rental properties, and now we are moving out in the next 2 weeks. Can you believe all of this? From one comment taken the wrong way. Argh. MIL has been messaging me all day playing the victim and forwarded messages from her daughter that tells her shes a queen and a saint. Makes me sick to think about it!! Such BS dramas. I feel like writing a script and sending it into a Spelling Production. Argh These are people with too much money and not enough brain cells to rub together between them. It has been such a draining and depressing week here. I am caught in the middle of my mum and DH's dislike for one another and now this. We now have to move to the other side of town and cut ourselves off for a while just to get some peace and distance. I really love the timing too. No one seems to care that I have just had a baby cut out of me and am trying to recover, physically and emotionally. It has really wiped me out. Sorry for the depressing rant, but it helps to vent. To top it off, Its hindering me being able to relax and enjoy my darling new infant and my toddler. It was also starting to affect my milk supply but I have been pumping even more to keep the milk coming and it seems to be working great so far. Stupid family.
    Hope everyone is having a better time then me!! Sorry for the log post. It's been a while!!

Well last night I gave Jazz a bottle for her first feed, the boob for her next and then her 3rd feed I woke Matt up, handed him the bottle and said "your turn" and went back to bed!

Sure with bottles and formula there's washing, sterilising, etc involved but I think I prefer it. Jazz fusses on the boob too much now, and I'm too stressed. I just don't have the energy for BF, I don't like the feel of my nipples being sucked, they are too sensitive and it really just annoys me when they are touched by anything or anyone in anyway.

I don't feel guilty or like I've failed or anything for wanting to give up, I actually feel quite relaxed and happy about it, ok, slightly dissappointed that it's been 3 weeks and I'm wanting to give up already, but mostly I feel ok about it.

I will talk to the midwife about it when I see her this week but I know what she'll say.

Mum is coming over this afternoon, I'll talk to her about it also.

The other things I like about formula feeding is:
    1. The milk is always the same, whereas with breastmilk it varies depending on what I've eaten
    2. I can monitor exactly how much Jazz takes
    3. Matt can feed her and I can have a break
    4. She settles quicker and for longer so I guess that means she's actually getting enough. With BF she was starting to not settle coz she was always demanding and she would only stay settled for an hour or 2 instead of 3-4 hours. I guess that's an indicator that I wasn't producing enough.

Sorry for the long post, I just need reassurance that I'm doing what's right for me and my daughter.

Reenie - so sorry for the dramas at home :hugs:
    maybe moving out further and into your new place will give you two some peace and quiet. Then you dont feel like you owe MIL anything and she wont have a hold over you.
    And yes, thats insensitive, you just had a baby, what you need most now is lots of TLC, not stress. They should know it will affect their grandchild.

Danni - there's a thread of BF and also on FF, you can get some advise there.Also I just noticed she's 3 wks, she might be going thru a growth spurt, she might go back to normal in a few days

white noise! Poopy slept from 11.30, and started grizzly from almost 6. so at 6.30 I woke up and got the nipple shield ready to feed him, got back to the room and turned our little portable heater which is between me and the bassinette, and Poopy when straight back to sleep, no sound at all and started grizzling again at 7.30. hehe i had an extra hrs sleep. it was a good night!
    tho he tends to fall asleep during feeds more often now.
    he makes all sorts of sounds in his sleep and i get worried so i keep waking up and taking a peek to make sure he's ok.
    Last edited by prama; March 30th, 2008 at 09:27 AM.

danni if you are all less stressed and jazz is happy and growing then its right for you.I still top Will up every third feed with 90 ml pf formula and the lc i saw in sydney said if it works then go for it as milk production changes and next week he may not want formula at all.( expressing does not for me at all)I am lucky in that he goe s very easily from both and will also take water for his wind.If you dont enjoy it in any way then you wont produce enough milk and it becomes so hard.Go with your gut and have faith in yourself as a mummy and what feels right for you and your family.You will get varied opinoins but its only yours that counts. I hope it works out for you and you enjoy jazz without the stress.

Bron x

Hi girls, sorry to crash your thread, I am from the bubs born Feb 08 thread. The girls in my thread have been very quiet so I was just looking at what you guys were up to.
    I had to reply to Danni-- I had the same thing happen with my DD and I just wanted to say it is totally your deision. Happy Mum = Happy Bub. My DD has been having FF for 4 weeks now and she is very content and sleeping really well compared to unsettled and not sleeping whilst breastfeeding. They do have a growth spurt at around 3 weeks and 6 weeks but I found my supply dropped off because I was so tired and not getting any rest.
    I don't feel guilty and I have time to spend with my other two children and run my house whereas I was constatntly feeding and not able to do anything else.

Anyway I totally get where you are

Good Luck
    Sue

Hi Sueby, feel free to crash at anytime! We accept all comers . It's no fun if you've got noone to chat to. But a word of warning - these girls can talk . You may find you'll need extra time just to catch up on the posts.

Good luck with your decision Danni. Bron is right you have to do what's best for you. I found it takes at least 6 weeks to get bub and me trained up to bf. Paddy is getting better though he's so good at sucking he nearly chokes himself. You really can't tell how much milk you have because once you're feeding regularly they don't tend to become overfull. Babies cluster feed to increase your milk supply for their growth spurts. I think Paddy also likes to use them as a dummy .

I was taking to DH the other day about why Paddy keeps pulling off and on at the start of the feed. He reminded me that when the calves want a feed they suck then detach, headbutt their mum's udder and then reattach. Mmm so I think I'd rather have the hard suck and detaching occassionally than a headbutt in the boob .

Trina I'm going to finish my second box of infant size and then move to cloth. I have to use them up coz Paddy is almost too big for them . I've used my green kid pockets and hautes which are great and fit really well. I'm going to try the BBH this week and see how they go. I lke the pockets coz they have a built in cover and dry quickly though the BBH are supposed to be more absorbent.

Booby call

hello sueby! yes, the feb thread has been quiet..

teach - lol, poopy has started to suck really hard too.. hope that helps more milk come in.

bron - how are you going hun.. do you have to go back to RPA at all?

I got some Formula last night as my milk seems to be drying up so I might have one on FF shortly too.....

I am happy to express as long as I can though

Thanks girls.

I put Jazz back on the boob at lunch time coz they were actually full and hurting. Maybe I'll just keep a couple of bottles of formula in the fridge and if I'm busy or stressed out I'll give formula to her then and let the supply build up. She did chuck a couple of times after having formula and also there were small chunky bits in her poo. Also, she's got like a rash/pimples on her face, I am wondering if maybe she's having a reaction to formula? Surley not as when she was in the hospital she was on half formula and half EBM until I was able to express more than they were able to feed her.

I thought my supply was getting low yesterday. Madison was feeding, it seemed like every hour and they felt so empty. But then this morning they were all full and bountiful again lol. So she must be getting ready for a growth spurt.

I'm glad the bf is going well for us because I really don't think I could be bothered with the expressing and bottle sterilising etc. So fingers crossed the bf keeps going well until she's ready for a cup!

My bb's only feel full if Sumz hasn't fed for a longer period and she cluster feeds every evening without fail or if she is overtired and nothing else will comfort her.

Danni, do what you think is right for you both like Bron said only you can decide.

Hey Sueby, lots of chatting in here join in anytime.

Prama Summer is a pretty noisy sleeper too, she sometimes grunts and groans or makes really cute noises, i only wake up when she wants a feed i adjusted really quickly as i am/was a very light sleeper. Don't you love it when they go back to sleep that extra hour is great in the morning.

We went to Yum Cha for lunch today just me and the girls, it was great but i think they overcharged me.

Summer slept so well last night 8 hours straight but i made the mistake of having Paige and Tahnie in bed with me so i didn't sleep very well as i was being smothered by Tahnie my bedroom was very very crowded!

Teach, I am going to order some BBH and some Greenkids pockets this week, i like the idea of drying fast so that's why i want to use both esp being busy. So you find them good??? The greenkids that is hehehe I've been picking SJ's brain about the BBH.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast