Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born March 2008 #2

Daniella, are you sure she's hungry? she might just be wanting to suck maybe. Have you tried a dummy? they dont always work and some people don't like using them for fear of future problems but i persoanlly consider it a lifesaver at times.
    Either way, absolutely do whats right for you. There are no rules when it comes to having kids you have to do what work for you and your baby, and every child is different.
    Just a thought on the possibility of her being allergic to the formula, which one are you using? I wouldn't use the gold varieties because they are heavier and don't always settle too well in newborns. I had the same trouble with Dylan when he was 2 months (he was formula fed from 2 months) also different brand have a slightly different make-up of ingredients so you might try a few different ones til you find one that agrees with her.

Anywho, i've gotta go save Ryan from DH trying to use controlled crying on him.....

Hi all,

What a weekend, DH sister flew down for the funeral (which is today) yesterday so we drove to the other side of the city to catch up with her as we havent seen her in about 5 years and a funeral is no place for catching up... feel like the weekend has just disappeared and there is still things that i have to get done before the funeral as we are helping out... Molly Jane is having a sleep ATM so when she wakes i have to dash out with her (have to drive this week - but 4 weeks of healing should be ok - i hope)
    People are meeting at our place and then driving down to the funeral place all together, it starts at 3 and the wake is in a RSL and finishes at 10pm tonight (U,Steve was a muso so they are having a jam for the wake). I volunteered to make a DVD in memory of him, so will be taking pics during the wake... My god it is like pulling teeth trying to get people to lend me photos so that i can scan them for the DVD - even with a promise of a copy - selfish people

Reenie - sorry that you are having such a hard time, moving with a 2 week old - i cant believe all concerned are so inconsiderate, i would have done my naana too! tell them all to grow up! Hugs for you thou, please feel free to vent in here as much as you like, we all need to whinge at times!

Danni - I was also thinking that Jazz may just want tosuch, the thread that Prama started asking for BF questions that Barb answered gave some good info as to the things that Bubs do when they are tired, they are really similar to a hungry baby and they really just want settling.
    I know that with Molly, if she has had a feed and we are sure that she just wants a comfort suck, DH will offer his finger knuckle, she will such then detatch, he will burp her (the motions of a feed) and she will settle... maybe worth a try?

Also for the boobs - i have no idea how much i am producing as i havent been expressing (though have to get a stcok up in the fridge JIC) sometimes i feel empty and soft but there is milk in there as when she feeds she dribles and will spew a bit up at the end... i think that the hard sore boobs settle after a while when we adjust to the feeding (am i right mummys eho have done this before) so dont always stay hard.

Also Molly Jane has been demanding more feeds, but i think that she is going into a growth sput, i have heard that around this time they demand more to increase the supply as they are going to need it in the next few days.

Trina - cant believe you got a full night, lucky you, Molly Jane was awake at 12.30, 4am and 6am wanting a feed.

I have found that if i dont wrap her tightly and she gets out, she is more likely to wake up early - anyone else?

Gotta go, she is awake again

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I've tried the dummy instead of offering the boob but usually she refuses the dummy, and anything else given to her to suck except the boob or a bottle.

As for type of formula, I'm using Heinz. Mum suggested she may have thrown up just because it comes out of the bottle quicker than milk coming from the boob. She had another bottle last night and was fine, no chuck.

Trina I've only used the GK a couple of times and am going to experiment with different types of inserts to see which are more aborbent. I like the coz you don't need a cover, they're made in Aust and osfa. I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy different sizes. NB poo washes right off (it was a mega one and been there 2 days!) Still getting the hang of using them and have been stalking the nappy threads for more info.

SJ you're right about boobs. They are much softer once you're regularly feeding. They become firmer if you've missed a feed or bubs sleeps longer (wishful thinking). You can't be emptied like a bottle.

Don't about the rest of the bubs but Paddy is just growing like a weed. Can't do Bonds 000 wondersuits at all!Going to take him to get weighed this week.

Danni - the hossy recommended Nan HA1. they said it's the closest to breastmilk in terms of molecule size.

SJ - will be thinking of you today..

gotta go, mum's gone home, just had brekky at 11.45. going to have leftovers for lunch while Poopy sleeps before he wakes for his feed at 12.30.
    be back soon

Danni - the hossy recommended Nan HA1. they said it's the closest to breastmilk in terms of molecule size.

SJ - will be thinking of you today..

gotta go, mum's gone home, just had brekky at 11.45. going to have leftovers for lunch while Poopy sleeps before he wakes for his feed at 12.30.
    be back soon

gosh, Jake is still in 0000 jump suits and won't grow out of them for a while!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisaqg View Post
    gosh, Jake is still in 0000 jump suits and won't grow out of them for a while!!!
    That's fine, as far as length goes Jazz should be in 000 but as far as weight goes she should be in 00000.

0000 is too small sometimes but too big most of the time. We got her a cute outfit with trackies and a zip up jacket in 0000. The jacket goes down to her ankles and will probably fit her for several months.

Hi girls,

Finally had a chance to hop on and say hi..... arghhh another unsettled morning with DJ arghhhhh He has been wanting to feed every 2 hours today and just won't settle and sleep, he has only had 1 hour sleep since 5am this morning. We both think it is a case of bad wind, but we both can't clear it out, tried all holds and patting his bum etc just can't get rid of it. Just fed him and hoping this will be it, he is yawning heaps so hubby is trying to settle him down to sleep, so we can get some rest

I am expressing mostly now and feeding him around 80ml feeds, sometimes he takes it all and sometimes he leaves 15-20ml. I find breastfeeding so uncomfortable, my back and shoulders and neck kill me, because he prefers to be in the football grip which means I have to sit forward and just can't get comfortable. I was hoping to get to Babies Galore today and check out gliding rocking chairs and breastfeeding pillows etc, but we need to make sure DJ has a good solid sleep before heading out anywhere. I don't know if I can continue breastfeeding past 3-4 month mark, I am always exhausted after expressing or breastfeeding...... I am hoping I can get myself to at least 4 months, but I just don't think I can get through to 6 months, it is just too exhausting....

Sorry I am not doing any personals today - feel so slack for not doing any, but my brain is all gobbledegook....

I really wanted to get him weighed at the baby clinic up the road but can only go up between 1:30-3:00pm, so I might just see if he gets a good solid sleep before even contemplating taking him out to get weighed. He has definitely put on weight, very heavy that is for sure..... I am still waiting on the community nurse coming out to see me as well, I am on the high priority list though, so hopefully they will come out soon.

Once again, sorry for no personals.....

Shell xxxx

forgot to say Danni the rash on Jazz's face could be a pimple outbreask. Molly Jane has this and it is normal (same as the period)
    Maybe thats what it is on her face

Shell dont worry about the personals, it is just great to hear from you - i always wonder what is going on if someone hasnt posted for a while

Prama thanks - done the errands, just feed Molly, hopefully she will sleep for a little bit, then another feed before we go there... Please all pray that she doesnt wake up during the service as i would hate to have to leave.

Has anyone else noticed how a baby softens people? she certainly has been a great distraction for the greieving... sounds awful really, but she helps people smile and remember that life goes on

Molly is in 00 wondersuits!!! they are a bit big on her, but not badly! Most of her other clothes are 000, the 0000 are just to strectched on her (Some of that is due to her BBH nappy Bum - but i think it is cute!)

I bf in public, no shielding (alway an exhibitionist ) purely cos i cant be bothered... have gone into the parents rooms, but not in the cubicles, just sit on the couch... Its a natural thing and i figure if people dont want to see they shouldnt look. With all this pressure for women to BF and breast is bestetc etc, i thoink that it is totally hypocritical for people to be offended by a mother feeding her child in public. Just my opinion thou...

Teachmum, Ryan's growing at a phenominal rate aswell. Almost out of 000 and the infant size huggies are starting to look too small on him too.

Sleeping over night seems to be getting pretty good for us now, last night he slept from 12 to 6:30 but any other time and he pretty unsettled and we don't seem to have a routine, its really take it as it comes during the day and for the most part he's awake or brieflt napping on me or something involving my attention so i really have no time to myself if i'm awake atm.

Daniella, yup that's the one we used on both kids. i've also found that when i've expressed and given it to him in a bottle (which has only been a handful of times) its all a bit messy and leaves him a little unsettled, so your mum is probably right about the too fast thing, she'll probably just need a little time to get used to it. Oh also, i still haven't caught up with your sister yet but on Friday when i see her i'll give her some newborn nappies we have left over for you to have if you want them, we don't know anyone else with a newborn and there's quite a few there may aswell give them to someone who's gonna use them hehe

Shell, you have a newborn hun, we all understand you not feeling up to doing personals hehe

I'm starting to wonder why i didn't buy washable nappies..... you're all raving about them and i'm the turkey still buying disposables hehe

SJ, just saw your post. I agree with the BF in public thing. Its natural and if people don't want to see then tough they can look away or go elsewhere. Its just like smoking, people dont care if it affects others they're of the general attitude that if you dont like it then you move, well i'm turning around and saying the same back about BF dammit! hehe
    I still went and hid at first but when you're first starting BF it can be a little awkward but once you settle in and have a little practise at it you can pull it off without flashing yourself too much

thanx Jade, we've got heaps of newborn nappies but more would be great, I think jazz will fit into them for quite some time.

Yes, i think the rash is actually pimples now too. she has a few on her belly too.

well, i am told that newborn are supposed to sleep for about 17 hours a day. I'm lucky if Ryan sleeps half that.....

DJ has probably only slept for 4 hours today arghhhhh he is sleeping at the moment, hoping he won't wake up until 7pm

Had the child & youth health nurse come out today to do the 1-4 week check up. Jazz has finally passed the 3kg mark!!! She's 3.14kg! 52cm.

I asked about wind and what was going on with her demanding heaps more food. She said it's completely normal and as you all said she was probably getting ready for a growth spurt. The nurse said when that happens to do whatever makes me comfortable, if that means mainly FF for that period of time then that's fine. She also said that you can't over feed a new born, they'll only take what they want.

With the wind she said 30-50ml of cooled boiled water is fine, also said to use cooled boiled water in her nose if she gets clogged up particularly over winter if she gets a cold.

Quote Originally Posted by jadethebabymaker View Post
    well, i am told that newborn are supposed to sleep for about 17 hours a day. I'm lucky if Ryan sleeps half that.....
    I think Jazz does about that. She usually has an active time somewhere between 8-10pm though where she seems to be most alert.

Shell - I have been purely bottle feeding EBM to Caitlin from day 1. I have days where my milk drops off and I worry that I am running out but then with rest, heaps of water, good food & fenugreek it increases again. I had 8 bags of 150ml EBM in the freezer and am now down to 1. They come in handy on the days where the milk drops off and so far I have not had to give her any formula at all.

LOL re clothing sizes - you all have nothing to worry about - Caitlin is 9 weeks old and is still in 00000 in some brands and 0000 in others!

We have MCHC tomorrow hopefully she will have grown! 2 weeks ago when she was 7 weeks old she was 3.18kg and 49cm long, I am hoping that tomorrow she will be at least 3.5kg and over 50cm long. She has her 6 week check up (since hospital discharge) on Wednesday with Pediatrician, hopefully he is happy with how she is progressing.

Caitlin had her 8 week injections on Friday - it was so sad, the doc said that she had no fat on her leg so the injections would go straight into her muscle which would hurt more. She was miserable for about 24 hours and her right thigh swelled up to double it's size. Had to give her baby panadol for the pain but had to adjust dosage as it is only has measurements for babies over 4kg's on the box.

SJ - LOL re getting days mixed up, lucky you didn't go!

Mothers group starts this week at exactly the same time as the Pediatrician appt which is a bummer. Hopefully I can get there for the end if the pediatrician is not running late - wishful thinking I suppose!

The last couple of days Caitlin has been unsettled at various times and I have tried giving her breast. She is finally taking it without a nipple shield but it hurts like hell so I am definitely sticking to expressing her feeds and giving them with a bottle - it works and I am not bothered with having to take the time to express (it is only 20 mins) and in the grand scheme of things it would probably take longer to BF as she drinks a bottle in 10-15 mins and then I express for 20 mins so it takes maybe 35-40 min's total, I hear that some people who BF it can take over an hour.

Danni - If you want to FF then that is your prerogative and don't let anyone make you feel bad for making that decision. There are loads of babies out there who are FF for various reasons and they are doing just fine.

Mum has gone home to the USA now (yesterday) so this week is going to be interesting having to do everything myself each day until Mark gets home - fingers crossed that I don't go insane! Mark has to go to Sydney on business on Wednesday and he needs to leave the house by 4.30am to get his flight and then coming home he does not get in until 9.45 which means it will be 10.45-11.00 before he gets home, that is going to be a long day for not only him but me too! Initially he was going to have to stay overnight but at least that is not happening now!

Speak soon everyone - Jo.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast