Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born March 2008

Great news Danni,

Prama, not sure on that one, the dunston baby talk says that if they are making a cry that sounds like 'aire' (not eh) it s likely to be lower wind pain and they suggest the same as what Danni said... interestingly if the upper wind pain (burping) is not resolved during the day they are more likely to have lower wind pain in the afternoon.
    We have not experienced it (yet) so cant be of any more help.

Teach - how are you other kids doing with their little brother?

Finally managed to upload so more pics that show off Mollys face!

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

My mum also showed me a great spot if bub's are having trouble with wind, that is to massage the fleshy part just above the hips.

Summer has been squirming, pulling faces and kicking her legs like she is in pain, have been trying to figure out what i have eaten to cause it and found something i ate had dried prunes in it. That has to be it as i have had pains too. Poor little thing. Hopefully tomorrow it will be all gone.

SJ Molly is so cute your sling looks smaller than mine, i think i got the wrong size

I don't think i am going to be able to go back to work, all the after school activities that we have on now takes up 5 days/afternoons plus my Mum is definately moving so don't want to put Summer in childcare so young. I kinda knew i would not want to go back after i had her, esp being my last bub i really want to spend every second i can soaking her up.

Hope you all get some sleep tonight xoxox

one way to tell is if he's bending his legs up to his tummy and generally their cry is a sharp high pitched one like they're in pain

not looking forward to tomorrow have to cart the kids to kindy then playgroup in the heat by myself, DH is working and our car has no aircon. Long day and all by myself with the three kids

Thanks so much girls. not sure if he has wind, he's been grizzly all day.
    JAde, i heard about the super hot weather in SA... and no a/c in the car.. sorry hun

That's no good Jade, if you get desperate go to a big shopping Centre....

When do you think going back to the gym (lightly of course) would be ok? It is usually 4-6 weeks but do you think going earlier is ok?

DH is in NZ having a great old time lots of drinking, dinners and is going fishing this weekend just love it when he calls and i am frantically trying to bath kids, feed kids get them to bed while he is at a bar pi**ed. I told him he had better get a massive pay rise and buy me a big house cos i bloody deserve it!!!

How are you c section girls feeling? Hope you are starting to feel better.

Are you all feeding both breasts in one feed? I hate the different advice you get from the early childhood nurses. I was feeding one side, changing burping then putting her back on the first side so she was getting the hind mild and then if she was still hungry giving her the second side and the ecn said i was doing it wrong What are you all doing?

I got told to do what you're doing except use the second side after changing/burping etc rather then the first

Trina - I was told by the physio that once you can jump up and down and not have any bladder leakage then you can start doing some light exercise.

I went to hockey training last week and it was not a light session and although I could feel pressure, there was no leakage that was after 5 weeks. I have not been doing my pelvic floor so I am going to start and hopefully this will stop the pressure feeling.

Danni - Fingers crossed that you can take her home Sat. We roomed in the night before Caitlin came home and it is a weird experience but nice - especially after 4 weeks of traveling to the hospital to feed etc. You won't know yourself once you have her home.

Prama - Caitlin goes red in the face like she is trying to do a big poo and brings her legs up. I usually put her over my shoulder with her arms above her head and the wind comes up pretty quickly, you just need to put a towel on your shoulder for any follow through so you don't get a snail trail down your back where you can't see it!

SJ - *sigh* molly jane is sooo gorgeous! hehe dont blame you for showing her off!!

Trina - I'm sick and tired of all LCs and nurses and ABA telling me different things abt bf.
    What they do say is feed on one side till its empty, change nappy, then switch. And then the next feed start with the last breast.
    In theory yes. I cant tell when my one side is empty, and Lakshman can stay on one breast for over an hr. It doesnt really empty, my GP says, there's always a little milk so they can cont to suck. Right now, Lakshman is abt 20mins each side, it feels floppy so i think the breast is empty. then he bottle feeds. so it takes more than an hr.
    Yest, at the settling class, one of the nurses/LC said, to increase my milk I should feed/express every 2 hrs. I was like WTF... it takes me over an hr to feed him, first - i wont have time to rest or do anything else. second - he needs to actually digest his food!
    Yest I had a bad day, he'wasnt settling, I think it wasnt wind, just unsettled cos we were out for so long yest. I was awake from 2.45am and slept at 11.30 only. no sleeps in between and he was so restless.
    And feeds are getting very painful even with the nipple shield. I was really in tears, I dont know what to do. Whether to cont trying to bf at least till 6 weeks or switch to formula completely. I've started to dread feeding times. And then I feel so guilty for thinking about giving him formula.

Jo - thanks. He does that sometimes, get all red. I've tried to burp him but nothing happens. I dont know if he's just really tired and cranky or not.

Exercise - I was told walking is fine until the 6weeks. And when you have your check up with your mw/ob, they will give the go ahead. But I was also told, when you stop bleeding it should be ok too.
    I cant wait to get back to swimming, I'm dying without it. I know I will be less stressed with it. Because I had 6 stitches, my GP said I still ahve to wait for a couple more weeks. There's a creche at the pool so I could leave bub there for an hr or so.

Is anyone using baby talcum, baby oil or lotion. In antenatal class we were told it's not necessary. I know with talcum you avoid the nappy area. My mother from the old school, thinks babies should have something on. they have to smell nice!
    I also read in another thread that you can put some lavender essential oil, mix it with olive oil etc and put it in the bath. might try that today.
    Oh, what time do you bathe bubs? We do it in the evening so both DH and I can do it. My mum again thinks it's too cold by then and he might catch sthing!

Trina - hope DH comes home soon and helps with everything. It's so tough doing it by yourself. :hugs:

*sigh* just in the past day or two Ryan has become quite unsettled and wont let me put him down. It would be fine except that i have to to deal with the other kids aswell. We're starting to have some troubles mainly because of that, and i think the weather is really not helping either.
    We're thinking of putting off our rent this week to buy a rocker or something that we can out him into so he can look around or be rocked to sleep or w/e, We were going to use baby bonus but i'm told that it'll take another 10 days roughly for us to receive it and i cant wait that long, i'll go insane by then if things keep going the way they are.

*sigh* he's awake again...

jade - at the settling class yest, they told us if bub becomes unsettled, just hold him tight against your chest. Dont rock or say anything, or give eye contact. just hold him tight till he quietens. we tried that yest and it worked a bit. he fell asleep and then woke up after 10 mins. repeated a few times and he finally fell asleep.
    hope it helps.xoxoxox

Hi guys,

Trina, what size sling did you get? i ended up getting the M-L so that Dh would fit it as well, but it is slightly too small for him, i think that i could have just had a M, but it feels comfy so its not a problem.
    You must be finding it so hard to deal with the kids without DH there - last night DH was out until late with work and then caught up with a friend, i was in tears as i needed him to be home - not that i wasnt coping, just needed some support and i was lonely - although i guess knowing that he wouldnt be back may make it easier - having drunk phone calls would pi$$ me off thou!
    I couldnt imagine how hard it would be for you to go back to work - i think you deserve the time off to enjoy Summer and also be there more for your other ones with all their activities.

Re the BF - in hossy i was told to feed on one side and per feed and then change to the other s that Molly was getting the hind milk. The CMHN told me to feed both boobs so i changed and it seems to be ok - at least i get a bit of relief although she never empties my boobs and i worry about mastitis.
    Also was told never to totally empty a boob, rather leave a tiny bit in there, cant remember the reason. So my routine is feed one side, burp, chnage nappy and then feed other side. She has got this down to about 45 mins now all up.

Not using powder at all as it is not really that good for them and can be a carcinogen if breathed in (large amounts thou)
    I use a Gaiga (sp) massage oil on her feet at night that as lavender in it and if you want to add something to the bath, the best mixture is 10mls carrier oil (olive, baby, avocado, almond etc) try to avoid nut oils JIC of allergies thou - with 5 drops of Lavender oil (make sure you get an essential oil not a fragrant oil) and 5 drops of camomile oil mix well and then add one or two drops to the bath water.
    We bath at night too - better to settle them - we have a thermometer that we check the water wth, MW said that 35-38C is best for them - also if they scream in the water or are not settled, by putting a wet face washer over their tummy they will settle (sorry if you all already know this, i thought it was a good tip) Molly loves her bath and DH has been coming home having a quick shower and then running a bit of water in the big bath and they sit in there together - she loves it (and i think he does too!)

JO - did you know that Kingston has a Lactation consultant that we can contact? I am sure that you probably already have these details, but i was thinking that i might contact her and get a few pointers as she comes out to your house and helps. Molly is feeding really well, but when she latches on it hurts until she gets her sucking coordinated and i am getting tender and dont want it to continue.

Prama - hope things settle for you in the BF dept - is there anyone that you can see to help with feeding or has it just come to the point that you can no longer cope? Dont worry about what other people say you do what you need too - we are all here to support you

Well Molly Jane is stirring and my boobs are so full that they feel like they are going to pop - she has been asleep for nearly 4 hours !

Have a great day girls and sorry about the novel!

Jade and Danni - you must be finding the heat awful - it has been 38 yesterday and 40 today and i wouldnt have coped with 10 days in a row!

thanks Prama, i'll give that a go.

I'm really sorry for not putting any personals into my posts this past week, just been so busy and frazzled with DH back at work and all the kids its just been hard and i've only really had the opportunity to read posts and then have minimal typing time which is usually with 1 hand. Just want to let you all know that i feel for you all when i read that you're having problems and am excited when something cool happens. Just please accept my apologies that i haven't had the chance to say it.

Hi girls,

Hubby brought in the laptop and I finally feel up to posting. Yesterday I was just so out of it from the morphine and being hooked up to the cords, catheder etc. Just got so frustrated from the pain and not being able to go for walk. I hate being bed ridden. I wanted to hold my baby without feeling uncomfortable. I was having problems breastfeeding because I couldn't sit up straight as well. C- sections are so not pleasant that is for sure. So, this morning in pain at 4am and figured I might as well stay up so I can get the cords and catheder removed and have a much needed shower..... Ohhhh it felt sooooo good to put my own clothes on and feel refreshed.....

Today has been pretty good, DJ was feeding well this morning from both breasts, more so from my left..... I think we all get different stories on breastfeeding because I was told that if I feed from my left then for the next feed I should feed from my right side. I went to a breastfeeding class earlier and the lactation consultant is coming around to see me at 4:30pm to see how I am doing it and see if I am doing it right. The position the midwives showed me makes it very uncomfortable for me and my neck and back kill me..... The LC said that it is because I have short arms and should be feeding a different way. Phewwww what a relief to hear that..... and hopefully it will make a difference. Really looking forward to the LC coming around at 4:30 because I think that will be the start of me actually doing it correctly. He attaches better to my left breast and sucks well, but the other one seems to invert when he goes to suck..... My breasts are starting to get fuller so looks like my milk will come in tomorrow or Sunday.....

Otherwise I am doing well, just very sore from the c-section. Walked downstairs to meet-up with Doni's parents and it was sooo painful to walk.... Feel like an invalid..... And then Doni made me laugh and OMG laughing absolutely kills!!! haha Saw my ob on my way back to room and he said the pain is just because I am contracting my muscles when I walk and that is causing the pain. So, there is my answer..

I love DJ soooo much and spent most of the morning just cuddling up to him. My hubby is going to stay overnight just for tonight so that will be great for him to be here overnight with DJ and I. I will have DJ in my room for the entire night tonight so my first night of feeding during the night etc At least Doni will be here with me in case I need a rest etc.....

Well, that is it from me girls.... Just thought I better post a quick update. I also uploaded a pic of little DJ. Hubby uploaded a few more on the laptop so I will upload those also.

Prama - thanks so much for the beautiful flowers, they are so appreciated and sorry if I seemed out of it..... That morphine put me out of wack...... The flowers are so beautiful. Thank you so much. Big hugs..

Speak soon
    Shellxxxx

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Jazz has been given the all clear by the doctor. He spent about 1min with her when he did his rounds and all he said in response to taking her home was "Yep, all good, do whatever you want. Nothing wrong with her anymore."

So Matt & I are rooming in tonight and if that goes well we'll bring her home in the morning!

Jade - no need to apologise hun, you must be doing it tough, c/section and 3 very young kids! not having your dh there to help must be hard now too...
    hope your pain is settling and the heat wave breaks soon.

shell the pain will settle - take it easy thou

Hello There, Just thought I would say hello and mention that I had a little baby girl 'Lila' on Monday morning, a 11.5hr natural birth with no drugs and an amazing husband by my side... She is beautiful and Mum and Dad are smitten!...
    3.45kg and 49cm long. Out of hospital and battling breastfeeding and grazed nipples! 'ouchy'...

Jade - oh dont apologise hun.. im the same, i feel bad not doing personals, andwhen i type, i use one hand. and it's so much busier for you with 2 kids. I think your so amazing, you and trina both.

Shell - no worries! glad you like them. I came to return my breast pump and thought I'd send some flowers. Of cos, i didnt remember your surname from your u/s pix. so they sent me upstairs and the mw said i could come in for a bit. i didnt want to disturb you but she said it was ok. dont apologise. i felt bad, that i might be intruding. im glad you're feeling better now... how was dr. wardena? are you seeing rachel the LC? she's very nice and understanding

Danni - nice to have DH rooming!!!

Kanda - Congrats hun!!!! woo hoo!!!

SJ - thanks hun.. Some days are hard, nipples get so painful and he feeds for an hr but my milk is still not enough. and i get upset cos im trying so hard to increase my milk and it's so unfair. I've seen women who dont even have to try....
    Today im a bit better, maybe cos ive had a bit more sleep..
    Last edited by prama; March 14th, 2008 at 07:20 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast