Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born March 2008

Danni I bled for 4-6 weeks after the birth with the other girls but this time it has already stopped only very tiny amount of brownish discharge every couple of days hardly noticeable. I was pretty constipated for the first few days only needed one lot of metamucil if you are having 3-4 lots per day you would have to drink HEAPS of water otherwise it will make it worse as it thickens. It can be hard as you don't want to push after VB as it hurts. If the H hurt definately get some cream as they can stop you going aswell.

Glad you are home Shell, feels much better to be home in your own bed. DJ will put on weight so don't worry too much it will all come together.

I got some fenugreek tabs to try, its only been 3 days and i think my milk has increased, hard to tell.

Off for booby call be back later

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Thanks SJ. I'll try and remember to mention all that the my midwife. I think she's gonna call/visit tomorrow (I hope).

Another thing: Jazz needs her nails clipped but I'm really scared about doing it coz I don't want to cut her fingers. Actually, I might try now while she's sleeping and still, if that doesn't work, looking for tips.

Nup, too nervos to cut them myself. I'll just put up with the scratches for a couple more days and ask someone (eg: midwife) for help.

I bought nail clippers last week, but they are still in the packet as i am worried too!!!
    Thought i would get DH to help when Molly Jane is asleep

teachmum thanks. i get shooting pains anytime, not just after a feed. oh well, what else is new.

shell - im thinking of you. im so exhausted today, i felt so faint so i'll just post a short message. I havent had a rest all day.
    im taking fenugreek tablets by nature's sunshine.. i got it at a health food shop.
    Lakshman was also below the 10% weight loss and I felt it was all my fault. they kept saying cos he didnt know how to latch etc. that didnt make me feel any better. he's jsut a tiny baby, how can it be his fault.
    I'll write more for you later..

I got nail clippers but they were too broad. I just a nail file but it made his nails rougher.. i dunno what to do.

I\time for need. Im so tired, I could drop.. some days im so over bf-ing.. it's been taking me an hr each time all day, and i'm so damn sore. He drinks his formula in 5 mins. sometimes i get into a selfish mode and think maybe i should put him on it...

Cutting their nails is pretty scary at first, make sure the skin at the back of the nail isn't attached still, try running the corner of the nail clippers along the back of the nail and if they are still attached just file them down until they detach. Thats what i have done, the first time is the worst then next time it is easier. Some of the baby clippers come with a little nail file but if you have a bigger one that should be fine. I asked my MW what the best way to do it as i was so nervous and she said after a bath sometimes you can peel them off but that was just as scary for me. After a feed is good when they are in that "drunk" mode.

Prama that sounds pretty exhausting of course you are gonna have days where you want to give up don't feel bad. Do what's right for you both you know you have all our support whatever you decide.

I am going to have to put Summer in a cot this week, she is starting to move around too much and is rolling off the basinette mattress or down to the end. Her feet are close to the end of the mattress too which tells me she has grown a fair bit this week, we are off to a mothers group tomorrow so will weigh her and see, a bit nervous about mothers groups have had some bad one's in the past so hopefully there will be some nice people in this one.

I am off to bed as all is quiet and i have hurt my back, might have to go to the chiro tomorrow.

Sorry for the novel had a quiet few minutes so rambled away

Happy sleeps for you all xoxoxox

I've never used nail clippers on my kids when they were babies for the same reason i'm always scared that i'll cut too far. I always just tore the nail off they're pretty soft and usually come away easy. I've also read in books that you can bite them off.

I think you're right SJ, it could be the heat. for the past few nights he's been wearing a short sleeved body suit and been wrapped in a large cotton wrap. we've had the air con on but it doesn't make it that cold as its only evaporative and our room is a bit hotter then the other rooms aswell because its further away from the main unit bit.
    Tonight so far he seems quite content sleeping but it could also be because he's exhausted from being awake all night & day and we've been trying to wake him up a bit in the afternoon to help him readjust his sleeping pattern back to night.
    I also bought a rocker today so far he seems to enjoy it and falls asleep ok in it.
    Gonna think about putting him in a cot over the next week too, i'm over co-sleeping, its not that i dont enjoy it i'm just starting to sleep deeper now that sleep deprivation is kicking in and so i'm getting less comfortable with the safety of it and i sleep better when he's not there which is essential for my sanity at this present time since i'm not getting any sleep.

You're right about the heat being a reason for him feeding more too, he'd be much thirstier and needing more fluid.

Been downloading some movies for late at night when he's not sleeping to help keep me sane hehe.

I was really constipated for prolly just over a week from pain killers and iron tablets until a few days ago i started feeling sick and getting tummy pains and had the runs which was probably my body getting rid of what was left in there from being so constipated. I've been eating absolute s*** aswell, when i have the chance to eat its usually not much and most days it's been take-away because i'm just too exhausted to cook.

Danni, thats so awsome that you can get your mum to come and help. And she helps in all the right ways too. Some people come over with the intention to help but all they do is keep you awake for even longer when all you want to do is sleep.

I'm still bleeding fairly lightly and its been 2 & 1/2 weeks....speaking of which i've been so busy i actually have to keep reminding myself i had abdominal surgery 2 & 1/2 weeks ago.
    Has anyone else been really horny? lol i dunno what it is but since getting him out of me i've suddenly got my sex drive back, pity i can't do anything about it tho.... oh, speaking of which, has anyone heard of the Mirena system? it's a new kind of contraception that i've never heard of before, the midwife gave me a pamphlet on it it sounds good in theory. its a plastic thing they stick inside your uterus. They reckon it lessens your periods too and can stop them altogether over time, and doesn't have the same side effects as the pill because it slowly releases progestogen directly into your uterus so it bypasses your liver and it lasts 5 years.

anywho, thats it for me for now. Fingers crossed Ryan sleeps ok tonight....
    Fingers crossed for the rest of you too!!
    Last edited by slimjadey; March 17th, 2008 at 08:55 PM.

Lisa - Don't feel like a failure, I am doing exactly the same thing and I am a much more relaxed mum because of it. So far my milk has not dropped off apart from some days where I have not drank enough but it picks back up as soon as I get better hydrated. The Fenugreek Capsules also help.

Danni - re constipation. I was backed up after Caitlin's birth also due to roids. I also was taking metamucil but I also got some Coloxyl from the pharmacy. A small amount passes to the breast milk but not enough to worry bubs so long as you follow the instructions. It didn't seem to effect Caitlin and they certainly helped get things moving. Do you have cream for the roids? I got Proctosedyl which is the pharmacy version of what the prescribe for you in hospital and it worked well to make them go down.

Shell - hang in there, do you have an electric breast pump or are you using a manual one? I highly recommend the investment in an electric one that is 2 stage that you can adjust the intensity on. I got my fenugreek from the local health food store (they didn't have it at the pharmacy).

Had a couple of great days with Caitlin, she is getting more alert during her awake time and we are able to get her to smile when we are playing with her and she seems to be interacting with us a lot more than she had been. Also we have a soft giraffe on the change table and when we are changing her she looks over at it and grins at it, it is so cute!

SJ - re the adjusted age thing, yes the milestones are based on the adjusted age as are the percentile charts. At the last visit to the M&CHC I was told that it will be a couple of more visit before they can tell me where she is on the percentile chart as she had not yet made it to her due date but hopefully we can get a better idea tomorrow as she was due nearly 2 weeks ago. I haven't booked into the early days class yet but am going to ring in the morning. It would be nice to meet you if you do decide to go also.

Mark is feeding Caitlin as I type so got to go and express!

Sleep well everyone.

Danni I drink prune juice and find that helps keep me regular. I was badly constipated with my first and had hroids. Got creme from the pharamacy and Nulax which is a mixed fruit laxative. I bled for 6 weeks with my first, 3 weeks with my second and at almost 2 weeks I'm only bleeding when I feed so hopefully it will stop soon.

Jade I can't even think about sex with these sensitive nipples

When I cut my DD nails for the first time I actually cut her finger but she hasn't haboured any ill feelings about it. After lengthy questioning she assures me she can't even remember it.

Shell stop feeling guilty . Your doing a great job. Some babies loose more weight than others, some babies grow faster than others. Learning to parent is only done through on the job training. It doesn't matter how much you read because your little DJ is a unique human being and will do things his way . He will soon have you trained coz you know us adults are slow learners .

It will be interesting to read about all our issues in a few months time and see how many of them are resolved with time and practice

Sorry to drop in on your thread, but i was interested to see how you're all going.

Congrats on your beautiful babies, all your pictures are gorgeous

As for clipping nails - two of the mums in feb buddies recommended just using an emery board and filing them... maybe some of you could give that a try.

Hope you're all enjoying your precious bundles!

shell - forgot to say 50ml is excellent... it's what bub needs.. Thats the max I get, which isnt enough at this stage.

trina - thanks for your support xoxox

Thank you girls so much for your support. You girls bring tears to my eyes you know...... Just knowing that you are also going through the same thing means so much to me so I don't feel alone. I am actually enjoying expressing milk even if it is painful. I need to get a new breastpump. It is the Pigeon Electric breast pump but I don't feel like it is powerful enough so going to go with what the LC recommended, the Diana breastpump. If it means it will be a quicker job then the investment is worth it. She said they are worth around $150 which is pretty reasonable. I just have to keep remembering it will take time to get DJ to breastfeed and for my milk to come completely through. I don't want to put him back on the breast until I can see a good amount of milk coming out in the expressing.... It helps having DH to help me, he is enjoying feeding him after I have expressed etc. I took DJ into his nursery last night and just walked around, and his eyes were just looking around the room, it was soooo sweet. I just melted.

As for the bleeding, I am bleeding fairly lightly but mind you I had a c-section so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Mine is going the brownish red colour, which normally means it is light.....and towards the end of a period.....

We haven't clipped DJ's nails yet, not yet needed.

Anyone breaking out big time??? I have broken out heaps on the chin and below the chin line as well as my shoulders. It is all hormonal, but haven't broken out this bad since first trimester.

Ok girls going to get going, and thanks again for your support. It means so much to me. We are going back to the hospital today for another weigh-in for DJ, so on my way home I will get some fenugreek tabs and aktivite (read that it helps increase milk flow) so thanks again and will let you know how the weigh-in goes. I am noticing he looks more fuller in the face so hopefully he has put on enough weight I think so, feeling fairly confident about it. So much happier today.

Shell xxx

Jade - i am with you, so horny! Seriously thou i feel like i cant win, DH wouldnt come near me at the end of the pg for fear of hurting bubs, now he is too scared that he will damage the suture line AHHHHHH i was in tears the other moning, feeling very unattractive and wondering if we will ever have a sex life again!
    Could be worse i suppose, he could be insensitive and demand sex, i am sure that he is missing it too, but puts me and my body first...

really tired this morning, not from Molly Jane, but from the heat, couldnt sleep well at all.

got to go, Molly Jane has decided that she would like some breakfast

Had another difficult night last night, a little over an hour sleep. This time DH had to go to work so i'm stuck home with the kids and feeling very grumpy.
    I've just taken a Panadeine Forte that i had left over to help with my headache and to help relax me, not the best way to relax but it's only 1 and its pretty much my only option atm.
    oh, about Easter.. heh i think i'm going to cancel it this year, if things keep going the way there are i don't think i'll be able to handle family over for too long and knowing my family they'll overstay their welcome.

Another sucky day..
    I dont know what to do.. some days seem a real struggle and then i feel so guilty.
    Lakshman threw up all his milk...
    Im so tired that i try to catch some sleep in between and then i feel guilty that i dont give him much play time.
    How much play time do you girls do? I have him on my tummy, for some tummy time and some times on the play mat. The nurse at the settling class said you have to give them play time.. i dont have the energy, sometimes, i feel like a horrid mother.. im in tears now..

Sorry to crash your thread girls.. Just a message for Prama - yr inbox is full.

Just wanted to send you a super huge cyber hug honey. xxoo

Prama I remember feeling like this with my first. Everyone tells you what you should do but remember do what you have to do to get through the day. Your little man probably didn't throw all his milk up, sometimes it just looks that way.

Regarding play time and tummy time, you can give him tummy time just by putting him on your chest. He will try and lift his head up which is what you want him to practice. When he is awake every minute is playtime. It's all new to him and I'm sure he's having a ball! Patrick only goes on his playmate when he is awake and content to lay there and play. Some days this doesn't happen coz he wants to feed sleep and grow!

Remember a happy mummy is more important than a happy CHN.

how many hours a day should baby play when they're this young? i can't remember from my other two.
    I want him to play obviously but i dont want him overtired either...

I don't know. I just let Patrick play until he gets cranky.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast