Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born November 2007 #4

Ok really quickly as I need to get some housework done. Have had the week from hell with teething (and still no teeth - aaaghhh!!). Have been up every 1-2hours overnight and he has been waking up absolutely inconsolable, plus very grizzly during the day. I had been trying everything, panadol, nurofen, the teething gels and the Brauer teething relief but nothing working. So I started trawling through some forums online and found lots of people talking about Hyland's teething tablets. They are a homeopathic remedy (so if you aren't into that it might not interest you), however the change in Jacob since I started giving them to him is amazing. He went from waking up too many times to count overnight to sleeping through until 2am, 5am and then up at 6:30am, which is back to normal pretty much for him. He still gets a little grizzly late afternoon and is still gnawing on everything in sight, but he is just so much happier. Mum went and got them from my local chemist, although apparently not all places stock them. Just thought I'd let you all know in case you are going as crazy as I was.

Will try and get back on later to do personals.

Hi everyone,

Thought I might jump on before I get stuck into folding the washing! Better do something constructive since I have chucked a sickie Not sick today, just tired, but we have all been sick with a gastro bug.

Kimberley had tooth number 3 pop through last night (really suprised cause she didn't even wake last night), and number 4 should only be a day or so away. The sound of Kimberley grinding them sends me into a state of numbness (i am one of those that has to bury my head under a pillow if someone is using a vaccum on tiles, or sounds like running fingernails down a chalkboard), so it is going to be interesting to see how I cope in the long term while she is experiencing the new sensation and grinding.

My newfound domestication was short lived. I cooked DH a mudcake and dinner for his birthday a week back and thought, I can handle this, but then got sick.. Bummer.. When I give up work in 2 and bit weeks, have set myself the challenge of becoming a little more domesticated (DH has always been the domesticated one cause he is a shiftworker).

Kimberley is now sitting on her own, but can't get in herself up yet. At least I know she will stay put if I sit her up, rather than lying her at the moment. I will enjoy it while it lasts!

June - glad the teething tablets are working. I have a friend who used them and swears by them, but so far, we haven't needed any more than the odd dose of panadol (touching lots of wood here).

DB - sounds like you have a strong boy on your hands! What are you doing at uni? I gave up on my studies when I was pg.

Belinda - Glad you found a mothers group. IT was a huge support to me when I first had Kimmy, but as they get older, it is hard to find time to catch up, but I enjoy it when I do meet up with the others. LOL at the coffee table. I am dreading the thought of Kimberley pulling herself up cause that's where I currently put things out of reach.

Hoody - hope things are still going good healthwise for you guys! Well done on the Xmas shopping. As we actually have family around, this will be the 1st time in 7 years that I have to worry about Xmas at Xmas time. I used to do all my shopping at the sales cause I would see the family in January.

KRK and willow - all good with you???

Suse - if you are reading, hope you and your family are coping ok.

Anyhow off to have some brekky at 10.45 (at least it is still morning). Have 4 hrs till I pick miss Kimberley up from daycare.. For the 1st time she cuddled up to me when we got there and I felt wanted, but then something on the floor caught her eye and she couldn't wriggle enough for me to put her down to play (her normal routine as soon as we arrive)..

SOrry been MIA but Molly was admitted to hospital on Monday with a really bad case of Bronchialitis. I thought she was just teething and thats why she was off but on Mon she had a really bad wheeze. Couldnt get in to the Dr's so took her to the after hrs GP at my local hosy and they kept her We came home late this arvo but she is still off. DD1 is behaving atrociously cos she missed me and my house looks like a world war has gone through it so i'm in a foul mood. I will try and pop back once i can get both girls to sleep but as i said I'm tired so maybe my bed will call me before then.

Now i really feel like a neurotic mamma with 4 trips to hosy in 4 weeks- twice to be admitted and twice we got to come home. Hopefully thats enough for the rest of the year

Also DD1 is officially TT now

Hey Hoody - sorry things arent good for you atm. I saw that thing on the news about bronchiolitis, pretty scary. It is better to be neurotic than end up with a really sick bub.

Heather - I hate the grinding also! It drives me nearly insane and I grab his cheeks and playfully make the fishy mouth just so he stops. Thankfully he has stopped doing it today cos I think his mouth hurts too much.

As for us, not doing very good Caden has been off the boob for 2 days now. It is destroying me! I am praying that it is just because his teeth and a cold and he will return in full booby-man form soon cos I just loathe the idea of weaning him. I have always felt so sad and sympathetic to mums who couldnt feed, and have always maintained that what is best for bubs is good milk, whatever packaging that comes in, but I am just so confused right now. He takes it from the bottle no worries, just not from me, so I presume nothing is wrong with my milk. I have heaps of supply, in fact I throw about 200 mls away each evening, so again I don't think it is that. I just pray pray pray that he gets on tomorrow, my boobs are so sore with lumps because the expresser doesn't get them out well enough.

Well, gotta go watch a movie with DH. Hope everyone else is doing better than us?

Just a quickie

Molly is alot better still off her milk/food a bit and still sounds very chesty but 90% better than she was

DB- i really hope Caden returns to the boobie sooner rather than later. I know all to well the pain you are feeling when he refuses. Although Molly is FF now all the probs and feelings associated with BFing are still with me and i still feel guilty for only getting to 5 months. I was going to suggest maybe AF was returning but if he takes your milk from a bottle i'm out of ideas. and i hope today things improve.

Thx Hoody. No improvement as yet. I thought AF also, as I have been feeling quite crampy. I am just worried that by the time whatever it is that is bothering him is over, he wont want me anymore. I will keep offering today, but I can't help feeling rejected when he cries out just as he is near the boob. More tears when I thought they had all gone

Hope you are all having a better week,

Quick update - still no boobie here Has had 600 mls of EBM but doesn't want a bar of me. Very snuffly and having difficulty breathing, even the thumb is a no-go, so I don't feel so bad.

Heather - I am studying Psychology. I only have 4 units to go and then I graduate, although at this rate that wont be til the end of next year. I am still completing some assessments from last year as I had Caden 3 weeks early and was supposed to get them done whilst on maternity leave before his arrival. What were you doing?

June - I will check it out. I think I saw something like that in the chemist the other day, so might grab some next time. I have a friend who swears by Ashton and ? powder. I also use the Brauers teething relief and calm, to avoid some of the heavier drugs during teething.

Hope everyone is going well.

Hi ladies
    Well DS is asleep at the moment so I thought I'd try and catch a few minutes on here to say hi.

Things are going pretty well here. The tooth fairy is still my worst enemy , however the teething tablets are working wonderfully. Last night he was pretty restless between 2 and 4am (so I'm struggling a little today), but overall it has just been two feeds overnight. No crawling (well not forwards anyway), although he is so desperate to do it that he gets pretty cranky. He loves being walked around the house at the moment which is just gorgeous to watch. DH walks him from his room to the bathroom before his bath and the sight of this chubby naked smiling boy walking proudly up the hallway is just beautiful . We have lots of sitting, squealing and this fabulous new grunty hissy noise that he has discovered that drives me a little crazy.

Heather - wow I can't believe Kimberley got more teeth through without you even realising it. I am so jealous, but I bet you are relieved. Hmmm, grinding i hadn't thought of that. With all the other wonderful noises they make it would be interesting to see them add that to their repertoire.

Dragonbub - I am feeling for you at the moment. I hope your boy decides to get back to the good stuff soon. I would place my money on AF being around the corner too. Jacob gets pretty crabby and fussy around that time. Even though he is taking your milk from the bottle there could be other changes he is noticing as well. The speed it is coming out could be different or you could smell different too (hormones can do lots of things we aren't aware of). Watch those lumps too!! Oh and how is that poor tooth coming along?

Belinda - mothers groups is fabulous. It is hard to catch up regularly but I find it so therapeutic. Being able to talk about what is going on, both good and bad is great. Plus finding out what other people do in certain situations is great when you are at the loss. Also just getting out of the house and having an adult conversation is therapeutic.

Hoody - Yes four trips to the hospital is definitely your quota for the year! In fact for quite a long time I would hope. I hope things are picking up a little for you. At least DD1 TT is good news!

Hellow Willow, KRK, Limeslice and Suse

Oh i almost forgot, I might have some good news with day care too. A neighbour of mine who has four lovely kids (2 at school) offered over the weekend to look after Jacob. I am thrilled just need to work out a few things before I officially accept though. I am a little worried about it stretching the friendship, but I am hoping she wouldn't offer if she wasn't thinking seriously about what it meant.

Ok I am off now, will try and have a coffee in peace before the boy wakes up.

Thanks June - I do think AF is near, but she is taking her damn time! Maybe that is one thing, but the stuffy nose, sore throat etc is also another that we are working through. I got some Dimetapp and a vaporiser, so will see how that goes. Other bubs in my mothers group have it too so I think they all caught it off each other.

Still no feeding, but had some lovely boobie cuddling time. He would look at it and open his mouth and almost latch on, then pull away giggling. At least he wasn't crying! Am trying a dreamfeed tonight so wish me luck.

Hope everyone else is well,

Unhappy

Yet another update (is quiet in here!),

Still have sick bub, no boobie feeding either. He is off his food too and wont have as much EBM, so at least it is not just me. He will take 240 mls of boiled water at the 3am feed, so I think he must be so thirsty. At least he is keeping his fluids up.

Today he seems alot better, he even had a 30 second suckle (until he coughed and spluttered and came off ) We had a nice play on the ground together with minimal grizzling, and now he is sleeping happily. I found the flu medicine for bubs has worked really well at drying him up. The vaporiser is also great. I am hoping that once he is better he will be back on the boob

I posted in the breastfeeding problems and support forum that I really do think that if I had experienced these problems earlier on I would be on anti-depressents now. As it was, I got diagnosed with mild post-natal depression and had a few months of counselling to sort me out. Thankfully he fed well back then! I never imagined it would be [I]this[I] hard

I really hope you are all having a better week than me.

DB my heart aches for you with your feeding dilemmas. It can be so hard when all you want to do is feed and it's just not that easy. I really do hope that in a couple of days he will be over his cold and back to the boobie boy he was before

Well We are much better here thank goodness however our trip to hosy has caused lots of sleep issues. We are slowly working through them. Our nights are pretty much normal with Molly going from about 6pm til whenever DD1 wakes her up in the morning Our issue is getting to sleep iykwim. Our day sleeps have been horrendous. I think the 4 days of been rocked/cuddled and having me by her bed side to go to sleep have disrupted her no end. I have been trying to get her to self settle but it's like its all gone out the window. If i put her in her cot she screams and gets so upset i have to get her up. She will settle with a cuddle and go to sleep in my arms literally in minutes but then if i try to put her down it starts all over. Also its hard to keep her asleep even in my arms as DD1 is forever been noisy and prodding and poking her iykwim. Well she is screaming again so i best go and start all over again with this sleep thing.

Hi all,

Just a quick one cause I making the most of Kimberley being asleep! Not sure how long it will be as I had to get her early from daycare cause she isn't herself either. She has her own red nose for red nose day on Friday!!)

Anyhow DB - when Kimmy was not taking much food with her bug last week, our GP and pharmacist suggested a hydration formula. We were using Paedalyte. It is great that he drinks water, but if more than a day, bubs need more nutrients than water can offer.. Thought I would let you know in case you were interested...

Anyhow, will have to go and get dinner on, so I can eat at a reasonable hour, on 2nd thought kimberley has just woke up..

Take care..
    Heather

Thx Heather - He is still having his solids and about 200 ml of EBM each day, so I think he is ok for now. I may try that over the next few days if his milk intake doesn't increase. Or perhaps I might try selling him on Ebay and purchasing another

Hoody - From one drama to the next! I find their cheeky habits getting so much harder to overcome the older they get. Hopefully it will only take a few days to get her back into a routine. I know Caden takes a while if we simply stay overnight somewhere, so with all the disruption I am sure it has thrown her right off. hun, I hope things get better and thanks for the kind words re feeding. I never thought it would be this hard to let go. If I wanted to wean it would be such an opportune time, and I know I should be thankful for the 8 months that I have had, and I might have only 4 months left anyway, but I still can't stomach the idea of quitting. I am just hoping and praying that he will come on as suddenly as he went off

Well, better go, DH is whistling at me to come get dinner,

Hello ladies...

Just a quickie cause I'm about to head off to bed (early night for once!!!). All is well here, Brooke was 7 months this week and is doing great. She's sitting by herself now, eating two meals a day (brekky and dinner), rolling around the room (no signs of crawling yet) and seems to be enjoying herself. She's had a bit of congestion and I've got a bit of a cold/sore throat but thankfully it hasn't affected sleeps or feeds (apart from needing to pull on and off to breathe!!).

We have mothers group tomorrow and there is a baby expo in Brisbane this weekend which we are going to go to.. looking forward to it actually..

DB.. good luck with the feeding, I really hope it comes together again for you both.
    Hoody... hope Molly gets back in to her sleep routine quickly.
    June... how's that tooth fairy?? We still have no teeth yet but I have a feeling they're not far off.
    Heather... how's the tooth grinding - hope that doesn't last too long (or she'll end up with teeth like my husband - ground down to half their size cause he does it in his sleep; dentist reckons he's got the teeth of a 60 year old!!).

Hi to everyone that I've missed... hope you're having a great week!

Well, that's it from me... enjoy the rest of your week!

Me (30)
    DH (31)
    DD (7 months)

DB- how you going hun? Been thinking of you. Has the lil man gone back to the Boob yet? I hope so for your sake. PMSL at the ebay remark thats normally my line or i need a trade in mines broken

Belinda- hope you got your early night and had a good nights sleep. Hows Brooke feeling now? Over her cold i hope.

Heather- Dont you love it when they sleep you have so much you want to do and its like they know so they wake up. Molly always knows when i try to eat.

All good here this week. No more sick kids and i hope it stays like this. Molly is back to her normal self thank goodness. Still has a chesty cough but the drs said that could hang around for a good month so i'm not worried. She is sitting unattended now for a little while and other than that not much to tell. I am finding she is so happy at the moment a real little giggler it really nice considering she has been so unwell and grumpy for the last few weeks iykwim. Sleeps are still an issue (ok well not the sleep but the getting to sleep) We have stayed home all day today and it has been a little bit better so i will do the same tomo and see how we go. I think she is just like her daddy and really likes her cuddles.

I hope you all have lovely weekends.
    Nat

Hey ladies

On the bf front, we had one night where I got in a night feed and a morning feed (yesterday) but that's it. I will keep offering and trying over the next week, bringing it up to 3 weeks in total, and then will commence weaning. Like I posted on the bf problems and support forum, I am ok with that. I could persist for longer, but enough is enough, and I feel that if he isn't keen even after he is better and isn't teething anymore, then it is time to call it a day. It breaks my heart to think that, but I know that he will be ok and that is the main thing. After all, it is about HIM, not ME, IYKWIM?

(deep breath)

Hoody - great to hear you are all well! It must be such a nice relief to be back to "normal". It is funny when you look back on hard times and you wonder how the hell you got through? Personal question, how did you cope, after stopping bf, with other people? It sounds stupid, but I have a gf who is so judgemental, and she is still feeding her 10 month old. I am sure she will make comment about my bottle feeding if and when we go down that track. It might sound trivial, but I am worried about justifying myself. I thought I would get your perspective, if you don't mind sharing. If it is too personal, I will understand.

Belinda - glad to hear Brooke is doing well. I can't wait for the Baby expo to come here, it sounds great. I was pg last year and had to stand in at another expo so didn't get to it then. Besides, this year will be more fun because I will know what to look for!

June, Willow, Heather - hope all is well with you guys (and anyone else I missed out)

Brag time
    Caden sits by himself, caterpillar crawls (looks like "wounded dog" crawl), pulls himself up, kneals, stands with minor support, walks with me holding on to him, jumps, and drinks out of a straw. I hate to be one of those mothers that brags, but it is nice to get an update on what the kiddies are doing, and besides, he is not advanced in any way, he is pretty normal I think, so I am not really bragging It has been such a hard month so it is nice that he has developed so much, it gives us something to be positive about.

Ok, that's all from me, hope you all have a great week!

Hi all!

I just popped in and saw there's been a few eventful weeks.

Hoody, glad to hear that Miss Molly's better, and DB, sorry to hear about the boob refusal but yay on the brag stuff. If you can't brag to us, who can you brag to!?! I'm glad that you are keeping positive over the refusal. I'd be stuffed if Euan refused because I don't express - it's boob or nothing.

Although now he's on 'people food' (solids). Didn't take to it at first, so I stopped for a bit, and then when I tried again this week he loved it. Now on two meals a day.

Also sitting by himself, crawling backwards and trying desperately to figure out forwards
    (almost there), getting up to sitting position from tummy, clapping, standing and walking with support, babbling all manner of cuteness and generally being a really cool baby. Except when nappies are being changed when he turns into the demon child from hell who WON'T STOP WRIGGLING and rolling over. It is a real battle of wills. Little bugger just doesn't want to stay still. Oh, and I'd be happy for more sleep - still waking in the night, doesn't go down till after 11:00, I'm so tired... But a minor whinge really, all is good.

Still no teeth... But still dribbling and chewing and doing all the teething signs - as he has been for the last four and a half months.

Oh and he's seven month's old today. Weird to think that exactly seven months ago I was getting stitched up and my uterus put back in, whilst Euan sat with his dad while they waited for me to get out of theatre. Happy 7/12ths birthday kiddo.

Hi to all, sorry I haven't done proper personals but fakking and he's about to finish. Thought I'd give y'all an update on how we're doing.

DB- I will try to answer your Q but sorry if its not what you are looking for iykwim. Some Ppl do judge me and it is hard, even now at 7 months i still feel terribly guilty about FF. Alot of the pressure is from myself though not other ppl iykwim. I didnt feel ready to FF and wanted nothing more than to continue BFing. But as you say at the end of the day you need to do what is right for your baby. If i get negative comments i just reply with the "well you obviously have no idea with what i have been through and obviously havent been down this path yourself. I DO want to BF but for us it was no longer working. I am envious of ppl who can bf long term so thanks for you comment you have made me feel like [email protected] yet again. I already put enough guilt/pressure on my self without having to explain my reasons to other ppl" This may sound a little rude but it normally stops ppl taking the conversation any further and maybe next time they will think twice before attacking another FF mum iykwim. I also found that i really had to make my mind up to do it if you know what i mean. Of course i didnt want to wean but for molly i had to. I thought thats it time to FF and from that day on thats what we did. I also find it really hard when someone new asks if i FF or BF, i feel like i have to explain myself iykwim. At the end of the day you make the decision on whats best for you and your baby. You are the mother and you do the best you can. I hope the sort of answers the q. As you can tell it is a bit of a touchy subject for me but at the end of the day Molly is alot happier and there fore so am I.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast