Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born November 2007 #4

Hoody - thankyou so much for your honesty. It is amazingly intense and I never thought I would be in this boat. The emotions are driving me crazy and I am on a bit of a rollercoaster ride. On the one hand I am sitting here in tears at the thought of weaning him, "giving up" so to speak. On the other, it is just so hard and I hate the rejection and struggle from him. Although having said that, tonight he didn't even want his bottle, so at least I know it is not just me He IS teething and that must be hurting, but geez, will it ever end? I know you have had your rough times (mostly it seems) so I am sorry to dump this on you, but at least we can be sisters in pain! I hate the thought of having to justify myself as well, as I have always been so proud of the fact that he is so big and healthy and is boobie fed. I guess I need to get over myself and focus on him getting better.

Suse - thanks for your thoughts. I never thought I would need to have him on the bottle full time, that's for sure. I always thought that if he didn't want the boob, he would get nothing, LOL. That lasted a day and with a screaming baby under my belt, I figured I should really try and give him something. Luckily he takes a bottle very well, so that was not a problem.

Well, 11 days and counting. Hopefully the teeth cut in the next few days and he might consider me again If not, I will be an FF mummy too...

Oh I have missed so much!!

We finally have a tooth through (well a sharp point at least), bottom right and the other one isn't too far behind. God this has taken so damn long. He has been so miserable with it, I hope they aren't all like this. Thankfully he is a bit more settled, only up twice last night. I can't believe I'm celebrating that, but I have just been so exhausted lately. Have had a few pretty emotional days over the last few weeks with this lack of sleep torture, but hopefully we are going to get a few good weeks again. He has been a bit fussy with his feeds again lately. I'm not sure if its him teething or what is going on. My problem is that he still won't drink EBM or formula, so if he doesn't take it from me what do I do? I'm a bit worried about this, not sure if he is starting to wean or if he is just going through a fussy period. He doesn't seem to be suffering any ill-effects yet, but will have to keep an eye on it.

Dragonbub - I'm so sorry to hear that feeding isn't going well. With the combination of sickness, teething and a head-strong boy (hmm have one of those as well) its all not good. I am hoping he is just going through a stage. I know wanting to continue to BF is important, but in the end these little guys are pretty damn sure of what they want and unfortunately we often have very little say in it. Stay strong, although you wrote its not about you, its about him, I know how much we personally invest in this. I am hoping he goes back to the boob for you, but if he doesn't, give yourself time to feel sad about it, you are allowed to!!! PMSL about ebay - I went to the baby expo last week and was joking it was to find one to swap him for.

Hoody - I hope things are back to normal again for you. Hopefully the sleep routine is sorting itself out for you.

Belinda - Sorry to hear Brooke hasn't been well. It really seems to be going around at the moment.

Suse - Happy to hear the people food is going well. Praying that you get some teeth through soon. They just seem to take so damn long don't they.

In other big news I turned 30 on Friday. Although with the lack of sleep lately and the cranky boy I have been feeling about 60. Went to the baby expo with my mothers group for my birthday which was fun. Then on Saturday night went to my uncles 50th birthday party. Jacob stayed up until 10pm and partied hard. He surprised me because usually he is asleep between 6:30-7pm, but he wanted to be out with all the adults. He was very smiley and active. I was a bit worried that he would just turn into monster child, but he did really well.

Oh and we had our first haircut on Thursday. I nearly cried, my little baby boy has disappeared and he looks like a little boy. I think hit has also made him cheekier, if thats possible! He has really started coming out of his shell lately. Usually he is pretty serious and takes a while to smile at strangers, but on Friday at the expo he was showing off.

Well off to have a coffee before he wakes up.

Hello to everyone else, Willow, Limeslice, Heather ...

Happy birthday June!!

A question on the people food, has anybody else found that they have problems with texture? I've given Euan a jarred organic vegie puree (the only organic one) to see if he would handle that a bit better, and he loved it. But whenever I try him on homemade pumpkin, which was not quite as smoothly pureed, he won't eat it. I thought maybe it was just a pumpkin thing (although the other purees I've given him have been pumpkin with something else as well) but today when I gave him a different puree that wasn't quite as smooth, he ate it, but not as readily as normal. The first few mouthfuls he spat out.

I hope that I'm not setting myself up for a fuss pot!! I'd like to start him on baby led solids (ie: soft finger food) but DP is a little reticent, this is a baby who chokes on booby juice and air, so I'm not sure how he'd be with things that are actually easy to choke on (seeing he chokes on nothing at all!).

Any ideas?

I am exhausted. Jacob was up every 1-2 hours last night. If I tried to resettle him in his cot he just screamed the place down. Fed him twice overnight, but I'm almost positive he wasn't hungry. I think it was more for comfort. Don't know what I am going to do. I can't keep up with these nights.

I know it will get better, everyone says so, but it feels like the older he gets the worse his sleep is. Not sure if it is still teething or if there is something else going on. I hate giving him panadol or nurofen "just in case", but I think I am going to have to.

I'm off to the doctors this morning as I think I have an ear infection, so will get them to check him out as well. Maybe I've missed something.

Sorry for the whinge!

June - hun. The teething drives me crazy too. I have a friend who says about her 11 month old "oh, look, he has another tooth, how cool". I could simply strangle her for having it so easy! My lil fella is on to his 5th tooth now and STILL hasn't got used to the sensation. you would think he would learn to live with it! I wouldn't feel bad about using nurofen or panadol. I never use it for myself, but I felt bad about putting my own choices onto him, so I let him have some. After all, it is HIS pain, not mine, and I feel bad letting him feel pain just because I don't take anything for mine. I hope you get some sleep soon hun. Maybe "dose" him up before bed, try and get the room as relaxing as possible (I am sure you have done this already). It is so hard dealing wth a grumpy baby when you yourself are sleep deprived. As for the feeds, a few days probably wont hurt, if he is having solids as well. Maybe try a sippy cup, or even a cup with a straw. Caden drinks out of a straw, so maybe yours will too?

Suse - Caden will pretty much eat any texture. He loves porridge which is quite lumpy, and cous cous which is grainy, and mashed banana, and puree stuff. Even toast crusts and pretty much anything else he can get in his mouth (except my nipple of course ). Maybe gradually make it lumpier, like introduce a tiny bit of your pumpkin in with the jar and gradually build it up. Or maybe try some finger foods to see how he copes with that, like crusts or apple or something. I have this great teether thing which is like a big dummy with a netting thing that you put apple or banana or such in. It is great it means he can eat whatever he wants and not choke. Might be good for your Euan if he chokes on air

Hoody, Belinda, Heather, Willow, etc. Hope everyone is doing ok?

Suse- I was going to suggest the netted thing too. Sorry i dont know what it's called but Molly loves it. It has a handle for them to hold and a netted pouch you can put food into. I put all sorts of fruit and veg and even an ice block when teething in. Its great cos they can suck and munch all they like with very minimal choking risk. Molly isnt a fan of lumpy food either but she likes finger foods that we have tried. So far i've only tried a home made vegemite rusk- a big hit, Toast crust, and soft fruit such at water melon. I make all my own baby food and just have to make sure i blend it lots so its smooth enough for her.

DB- HOws the feeding going? Are you still expressing or are you FF? I dont want or mean to pry but been thinking of you hun. Hope all is well.

June- Good luck at the Dr's i hope you get some answers. I have no suggestions other than the obvious stuff i'm sure you already know so just a big from me. If it makes you feel any better Molly has been really grumpy in the day and yesterday my friend had her for an hour and asked me if i'd tried panadol as its obviously from teething. i Hadnt and did and OMG the difference it made was so worth it.

Well still struggling on the self settling here but once alseep all is ok iykwim. Actually had a really good night last night with both my girls going from 6.30pm- 7.45am this morning. (sorry june dont mean to be rubbing it in it's jsut unusual for them both to sleep through on the same night iykwim) so i am feeling very refreshed today as i went to bed nice and early myself. Not much else to say. Hope you are all well.

DB and Hoody thanks for your support. Turns out I have a sinus infection, which I have caught just before it turns into an ear infection, so I'm on antibiotics. Dr checked Jacob over and he is in perfect health, so can't blame any health issues for the lack of sleep. He said there is a small percentage of babies who just teethe really badly and I've got one of them (lucky me!! - NOT!).

Tried the Brauer Calm with the Hylands Teething tablets last night and although we were up a couple of times he went back to sleep easier and he wasn't as awake as much. Might try it with some panadol tonight as well. I had tried panadol and nurofen before but it really didn't seem to be doing anything, although its always hard to tell isn't it.

DB - Jacob has been using a straw cup for water for ages now, but will not take formula or EBM from it or anything else. We actually tried cows milk the other day and he drank about 40mls in one go. I know technically its a bit early to be starting him on that but if its only for an occasional feed I think I might just have to go with it. I don't really have any other options at the moment. He hasn't worked out it is to replace me yet, so will have to work on that. Oh and he is on three big solid meals a day now (eating me out of house and home). Fingers crossed that your feeding is sorting itself out!!

Suse - Jacob is funny with solids. He will eat some things pretty lumpy but other times he will gag and bring up his entire meal (which is always interesting if this happens when we are out). Its like a fountain of baby food!! So this has meant we are a little slow in starting with baby led solids as he just gags so readily. I know its not choking, but the mess is amazing. The other thing that may have caused him to be a bit fussy is the taste. Your homemade pumpkin might taste quite a bit different to the jar of pumpkin that you gave him. Just something else to think of.

Hoody - so happy you got a good nights sleep the other night. Yes I am insanely jealous, but you of all of us in here deserve it!! And hey, I don't want anyone think I can't celebrate someone else's achievements.

Hello to everyone else

Hoody - I am FF one feed a day, to eliminate my need to express in teh middle of the day (which is inconvenient when I am out and about). He will have about 240 mls of that, and I express morning and night, which pretty much covers him the rest of the time. I have only just dropped the midday express, so will see if it effects my supply. I am still pretty full by the end of the day and have to express a bit to take the pressure off, then do a complete empty before bed.

He had a 4 minute suckle today which was lovely. He wasn't all that hungry cos he had already had a full feed plus brekky, but it was so lovely to have him sucking again. I wont get my hopes up, it was just a nice experience.

June - I must have one of those as well! I hate reading the "a small percentage of babies will have a hard time with ..." it is a guarantee I have one of those rare babies. Well, he is pretty good and I shouldn't be negative and ungrateful, it has just been a hard two weeks and I feel like I got lumped with all the bad stuff. I know I am whinging, there are so many other people that cop alot more than me, but I am not entirely rational at the moment

Anyway, gotta go to mothers group, am late already. Have a great rest of the week

Thought I would put in a quick update. Caden had 3 feeds from me yesterday, and one this morning, so hopefully things are returning to normal! I am a bit skeptical, as he changed so suddenly before, and he is still snuffly and coughing, so not sure how we will go from here, but at least I have one last chance. I tell ya, my back doesn't feel as sore, I don't mind when he bites, and when he comes off to have a look around...bliss! Just shows how much I took it for granted before.

Hoping you are all having lots of sleep,

DB- I'm so happy that Caden has had a couple of feeds from you that bit of hope must be such a nice relief. I hope it only continues to get better and you are back to normal soon.

June- Sorry to hear about the sinus infection but at least with going to the Dr you know what it is and can work on getting better. It is funny how teething affects them all differently with molly she is definately grumpier but she gets the worst nappy rash i have ever seen. Her poor bottom is yet again red raw and bleeding at every change. Nothing i do is working to help it either

Well things are pretty good here nothing much to report except that in the last 2 days i have only been able to get Molly to have one day sleep. Its been a good one of about 4 hrs but it is meaning our afternoons are quite unsettled. She has been going to bed at 6-6.30pm and getting up for about 7.30am ( still sleeping through but i wont hold my breath they change in an instance) and going back to bed between 9 and 10am and waking about 1-2pm but then thats it till bed time. Its making it really hard to get out of the house as by mid arvo DD1 is getting tired and its not much fun lugging a tired 2 yo out iykwim. The best time to take DD1 out is morning but by the time we get up dressed and organised its time for Molly to go back to bed so i cant win.

Hope you are all well- its quiet again in here

Hoody - love the updated pic! She is definately growing bigger On the day sleeps, I would give it a bit of time, maybe a few days, and see if she actually settles into a routine. If she does, then maybe attempt to wake her gently after 2 hours asleep, have 2-3 hours awake time, then pop her back to bed again. Try this for a few days and see if she fares any better. Nothing is set in stone and if it doesn't work out, there are other things to try.

As for us...back to boobie! We are back onto our normal feeding routine and I am so so so so happy! Caden is so much better now, he has recovered mostly from his flu, bar a small cough, and is actually having a bit of a growth spurt I think because he is having heaps more milk than normal, and solids as well. I am sure you can imagine the relief I feel now that he is better. Really, it was a two-pronged issue, one that he was off his boobie, and the other that he was so damn irritable because he was sick. Now both issues have resolved themselves I am immensely relieved.

Well, it is quiet in here. Hope everyone is doing well?

DB- :woot: on the feeding i am genuinely pleased for you, i can imagine how relieved you must be feeling and at the same time sad for myself iykwim. It just makes me realise how much i wanted to continue my BF journey.

I tried today to get Molly to have 2 sleeps but she had other plans. We have had a pretty rotten day. DD1 is sick yet again (just another cold but thats all it takes to give her really bad asthma) so we had a bad night last night. Ok the truth is DH got up to her but still i got disturbed sleep and i have a bit of a head cold myself so that didnt help. DH took DD1 out with him this morning so i could have a shower and have some ME time but Molly had other ideas. She was really hard to put down today and once i got her to sleep she only stayed down for 20 mins.....grrrr. Because she was over tired she was really unsettled. I finally managed to get her down again for about 11.30 but DH and DD1 returned home 10 mins later nice and loudly and that was the end of that sleep. DH had to go out again this arvo so i was stuck home with and unwell DD1 and an over tired Molly. Fun Fun Fun- Not. I tried to get them both to have a sleep as they were both in need of one but to no avail so after listening to them tag team the crying for 15 minutes i gave up and got them both up. Our afternoon just got worse with DD1 needing a couple of nebulisers for her asthma as she was/is getting worse. I was getting really upset as she is on a course of steroids, on a preventer and also antibiotics plus panadol for her fever so i cant do much more for her and as our Dr said yesterday she is one step away from hospital yet again As she is so unwell she is very jealous of any attention i try to give Molly and as you can imagine Molly was over tired and needed attention. From 3pm-5pm they both cried non stop. I ended up having to call DH in tears and demanding he come home as i couldnt cope. I just didnt have enough of me to go around. If i tried to hold both girls Molly would innocently pull DD1's hair etc and DD1 would retaliate and try to hit Molly or end up crying so it just wasnt working. To make me feel worse within 10 mins of DH been home both girls were happy and content in his arms He helped me get them both into bed for 6pm (i'd already fed and bathed them both so he didnt have to do much). They were both so over tired and grumpy it wasnt easy but the relief i felt when it was finally all over was huge.
    *sigh*
    So there you go my miserable day and i just know i'll be up with DD1 through the night and my head is so stuffy from this cold i jsut want to curl up and cry. Oh and to top it off DH has gone for a boys poker night so he's been out all day and i havent left the house.

Sorry for the whine i needed to vent. I really do hope you are all enjoying your weekends

Mummy Melz come and join us in here it gets too quiet

Hellooooooo

I FOUND U!!!!!

Look, look

Hi Mel- so glad you came in and found us It gets a bit quiet in here at times so it will be nice to have some one else to talk to and i look forward to getting to know you and your family

WTG on setting up the ticker it sure can be tricky if you havent been shown before.

Thanks Hoody - It is amazing all the emotions it brought out in me. I have a few rejection issues from my childhood that I thought I had overcome until this recent issue and I realised I need to deal with them a bit more. I guess I have been borderline PND for some time and these things tend to push me over the edge. I think you are an amazing person to deal with everything you deal with, and still remain so positive. After almost every trial you always look at the bright side and get on with life. I admire you for that and am so glad you are in here to share your journey with us.

Mel - welcome! It is quiet in here but at least you can keep up with the conversation! Tell us a bit about yourself...

Where is everybody or are DB and going to just talk to eachother from now on???

* i dont mean to be rude i just miss you all

Ok well DD1 is still unwell went back to Dr today and had chest Xrays and she has pneumonia (sp?) Although thats not a good thing i am pleased we have answers and can work on getting her well again. She is home though we have to return to Dr's tomo to see if her new and stronger antibiotics are helping.

Molly is doing really well and although still showing all the teeting signs no teeth yet. She can sit unsupported quite well now but still isnt a fan of rolling. She can roll but she is very lazy. I dont mind its easier when they dont move iykwim. She is still loving her food and amazes me at how much she is eating and how much she is grwoing. To say she started off so slowly and small you wouldnt think so to look at her now. We are down to only 3-4 milk feeds a day and 3 solid meal. Still sleeping through the night but day sleeps are another story at the moment.

I have a job interview tomo so maybe i will have some good news soon. Its at Curves the weightloss and fitness centre for woman. I dont know if it will be suitable as they are open funny hours but then again i may not be suitable. I guess i will find out in the morning. The good thing is i can always use DH if i cant fit in with daycare hours as he is self employed but at the same time he earns more money so weather or not it will be worth it is a diff thing- only time will tell.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast