Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2007 #22

Trish what kinda spoon are you using?
    Shame about the rice cereal, good luck with changing spoons

Started Maddi on some veggies & so far she's is doing really well, no more chucking up.

Kellie good luck with sleep school & the blocked ducts

Mo - I'm just using a normal metal teaspoon atm because I haven't gone out to buy him a plastic spoon. All of Joel's old spoons have been chewed to bits!

Kellie - Thanks, K loves the Jolly Jumper! He doesn't bounce in it yet, but he is happy to be upright and can move around.

Hi everyone,
    Well things have gone down hill this afternoon. Ethan is really not well. He started getting snuffly about 2pm and has just gotten worse by the minute. I think he has a sore throat as his cry sounds dreadful. Temp is up, not wanting to feed, runny nose and just plain miserable. I think we are in for a long night as he is waking all the time. Poor little man! I think we will be visiting the doc tomorrow. Not sure what I can do to make him feel more comfy except saline nasal drops and panadol.

rallybbek - don't feel guitly about putting bub in daycare. Some people just have to do it. Your little one is being cared for and that is what matters. It is better to have Toby settled and happy in a centre than dragging him all over campus. When I was at uni one of the girls had a bub in final semester and she brought her baby with her to all the classes. It must have been really hard and also not fair on the baby. You are doing the best you can!!! Cheer up it's ok. At least you know where bub is. When I go back to work in term 3 I don't know who will be looking after Ethan yet. Gee I'd better get my act together.

You know I was thinking today how quickly Ethan is growing. I looked at a photo tonight of the day he was born and got sad. I think we should all give our selves a pat on the back. We are doing well. Yay for all hard working Mums!!!!!

Good night all. Have a great nights sleep and enjoy your bubs because they are precious miracles.

kellied - i've fended off a few blocked ducts. you only need to go to the doc if you get red streaks or a fever/chills and generally feel carp.

best cure is:

1) put bubs on the boob as much as possible with chin pointing to the blockage (can call for some creative baby draping)

2) drink loads of water

3) take extra vitamin C

4) massage

hope it clears for you quickly - it's no fun.

on the james front, he is doing a weird thing - when he breathes in (especially if he's excited or sitting upright) he makes a tightening noise. he seems otherwise happy and i wonder what the hell it is. any ideas?

he is a refluxy chap, and i've read that sometimes it is related to reflux, but maybe you 2nd timers have an idea?

ETA:
    Alz - when jj was 2 weeks old he had a nasty cold. we also put him on an incline to help him get the nose goo down and put euky bear on a hanky near his cot. vaporisers with eucalyptus are good too. it was so awful watching him struggle - i hear ya.

Morning

Carp night - and I'm going to leave it at that!

We offered L a spoon this morning and he opened his mouth and accepted it. No tongue thrusting. We then offered him some water on the spoon, he took it and we think swallowed it. Bit hard to tell as he is drooling heaps atm. So it seems that my little one is ready for solids. Have booked into the MCHN clinic early next month for their intro to solids workshop. Have a feeling tho that L won't wait that long.

Went to a Tupperware party last night. Bought the Shape O toy. I remember it from my childhood and I know DH had one too. Actually MIL still has it. Also got some snack containers in preparation for all the snacks we will need to cart around with us. So many things to choose from.

Got to get packing for our trip. Think I'll need to pack an umbrella and a snorkel for the floods! Oh well.

Hi Everyone

Just want to throw some questions out there....

I am giving Max 1 FF a day and am BF the rest of them. Always just thorough BFing he has always gained about 200g a week (fattyboomba!). I started FF coz he has been seeming more hungry lately and all the fussing I thought he might not be getting enough boob milk....WELL he seems to have stopped fussing now but I am still giving him a bottle before bed. Do you think this will just make him FAT? Obviously if he gains enough grams just through breastmilk will the formula just not be necessary? He takes it still like it's going out of fashion though........???

Last night wasn't too bad....I BF & FF him at around 7:15pm, asleep by 8. Woke at about 2....changed and fed him (didn't want a bar of being re-settled...but did try) He was fluffing like a trooper. He woke again at 4:15 with what I think was tummy gas....picked him up for all of 2 mins, re-settled and was back asleep till 7am. Fed at 7:15 and is in bed again at 8am..... Don't know but maybe the FF is just a waste of time.....??? It seems to give him the gas too! hmmmmm

Well...that was two of the same question!! Anyway any advice / opinions??

Thanks girls!
    Last edited by YoYo; March 13th, 2008 at 09:43 AM. Reason: I accidently hit enter while typing before...dumb!

Heya all,

Cruddy night for the first time in a while Ry is starting to lift his bum in the air and push himself up and out of his My Little Bed and get limbs stuck in all directions in the cot and wakes up screaming. Had to go rearrange him 5 times last night and I wrapped him up as tight as I could and even tried tying the cord from my dressing gown around his waste and the My Little Bed to see if that would stop him going bum up but nope he has some determined pugde flinging to do!

Anyone seem those ABC and number, animal etc flash cards you can get? They have a big stand of them in Target for a few dollars a pack, it says ages 4+years but I thought it would give me something more to do with him handing him back the toys he pegs at me over and over again while he plays on his play mat is starting to make me feel like I'm reverting back to the mind of a 5month old as well lol. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love spending time with him and all the cuddles and laughs are magical I just want some extra things I can do with him. My mum suggested starting him on painting........ hmmm can anyone else see this ending in paint from one end of the house to the other and I don't think his tummy is made for digesting paint yet...

Tired but bored but no motivation to do anything just want to cuddle up to Ry and watch a movie and not get my hair ripped out of my skull in process... don't think I'll be successful lol

Righteo I'm off to grumble my tired poopyness away elsewhere *whinge*

Celtic- Painting could be cool! For valentines day Caitlyn made me a little present at daycare with paint (the ONLY thing I got for V day!). you can make an edible paint substitute with just some household items and I believe it washes off the walls and everything too. I will see if I can find the "recipe" anywhere. oooo but i guess it depends on what it has in it hey?? I also found this other site with some ideas for fun with babies - but they wer aimed at mostly over 8 months. Some were really good though and I will try to remember them (or just put the site in my favorites!!)
    Trish-From what I have read, metal spoons and babies dont mix. Don't know if its cause they are hard or whatever but one book I read said to not even try a metal spoon. My sister who worked with babies for 7 years highly recommends the heinz baby basics spoons.
    Alz- Caitlyn has a cold at the moment - runny nose and eyes, little dry cough etc. Her nose is a little bit snuffly and one thing the Doc recommended to me was to sit her in the bathroom with the shower running and the door and windows closed and let it steam up. let her breath the steam in,. he also said this would probably work best if she wasnt crying as they tend to breath through their mouth then and you want the steam up their nose. He also said to put a little eucalyptus oil in the water. Now I did it this morning - and I just turned the hot water on and sat on the floor with her. God it got HOT!!! Sweated!!! stayed in there for a good 10 mins and her nose seems fine. Will glugg up again I am sure but I will just do it again. they say to use the nose drops before a feed cayse it helps them feed.
    Anyway - enough of a rant from me! Hope you all have a good day! mwah

We use the Heinz food set, tried Maddi on some Zucchini(ewww) & she loved it and wanted more the little pig lol

Rebecca how did your humidifier go?

this just in:

one teaspoon of sweet potato with breastmilk actually went in all too eagerly. he can have the rest this afternoon.

Mo-the humidifier would have gone great I am sure but all night I kept thinking, what if water just shoots out of onto caitlyn, or what if it doesnt turn off when the water runs out, or what if the room gets too humid or what if, what if, wha if, so I ended up just leaving it on for a few hours, turning it off for a few and then back on for a few. there is still heaps of water in it but I just kept freking out!! But thanks for asking!
    solids-we have taken C back to just plain old boring Farex. other foods were really playing up with her tummy and she was getting quite grizzly. tolerated it for a few days up to a week but she started throwing/arching her back and crying and the bum burps :ms: So going to stick with farex until she is about 5.5 months and then go back to boring vegetables again. Except I am leaving corn out of cause I think that might have been the drama. Am still waiting for DH to get back from Tville with my bamix blender thingy so I can make stuff - Will have lots of practice now!
    Hope everyones day is going well. -oh am taking little miss C back to daycare tomorrow - her eye is fine and they tell me that most of thekids there at the moment have a sniffily nose so she wont be the only one! Oh she is having a grumble at me now - pay attention to me mum - TO ME!@!!!!!!! better go

Hi everyone,
    Wow what a night. I think I slept about 2 hours. Ethan got really sick last night. He can't cry anymore it sounds like a squeak and he is rattling when he breathes. Went to the doc and he said it sounds like croupe. Given him some medicine and I need to put him on the nebuliser. Need to watch him very carefully as he said he may need to go to hospital if he gets worse. Going back to the doc tomorrow. My poor little man. He is asleep at the mo which is nice.

To make matters worse dh is home sick too. He has a cold and is miserable as well. Boy do I hope I stay healthy.

Hope everyone else is ok.
    Rebecca - poor little c. Hope she gets better soon.

I'm back!

Was so tired had to go have a lie down. My head hit the pillow and within a minute L decided he'd had enough sleep. So took him into my bed and spent the next hour playing and trying to coax him to sleep. Eventually must have been successful 'cos I went to sleep and assume he did too otherwise he would have let me know.

We have the Heinz basic set too. The spoon seems really soft on his gums. Can't wait to use it for real.

Julia - I doubt that one bottle of formula a night is going to make M fat. I remember you said that you'd had enough of BF and was looking to wean. Any formula feeds you give him will have the effect of reducing your supply. If he is no longer fussy and you are happy to go back to BF then do it. If you want to continue to do one FF or even more thats ok to. BM/FF is suppossed to be their main source of food for the first 12 months. Have you started him on solids yet? Maybe the fussiness is his way of telling you its time. Have you spoken to a child health nurse at all about if he is ready? Anyway thats my 2 cents worth.

Celtic - my DH asked me the other day if I was bored. I said no not bored but my days are boring. Same ^*(% - different day sort of thing. I try to find something different to do or outside the home at least 2 times a week to keep me motivated. You have just come out of a period of fulltime work. Sounds perfectly normal to me to want to chill out for a while. Enjoy those moments as soon enough you'll get into a routine at home. I am sure any activity you do with Ry he will enjoy. Even just reading the paper to him while he sits on your lap will be great for him as it is with you.

Anyway, still in my pjs so might go off and have a shower and get my day started.

it seems to be the time for the little bubs to be getting sick! Poor little things. C seems to not be too bad this afternoon - just a littel grizzly cause I am in here I think.
    Anyway - have posted a couple pics of her and the kittens (my how they have grown) in my gallery!
    mwah

Trish - Tahlia has a jumperoo. She also doesnt bounce much, but loves sitting in it and playing with the toys on it. Still haven't been to look at the ergos.. its too hot in Melb to go out today, isn't it? Just went out to check the letterbox and it felt like an oven outside. Hopefully we'll go on Saturday cause its meant to be cooler (still 30 degrees though!)

Alz - hope Ethan is feeling better... croupe is horrible for the little ones

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on the blocked duct... I think it is clearing cause its still a little sore but heaps better than yesterday

Tahlia is having a massive sleep at the moment, been down since 1.30... I don't know what to do with myself!

Evening everyone!

We've had a bit of a shocker of a day. K has had short naps all day and Joel and K woke up from a nap at the same time in tears. So I had to deal with two crying boys while I'm feeling sick as a dog myself! It's all calmed down now, but I think their both coming down with colds again.

My mum and sister rock, they made some dinners for me so I don't have to cook! I've got one in the oven now, it's so nice not to have to worry about dinner on top of everything else.

My Ergos were meant to arrive this arvo, but so far there is no sign of them . I really really want them!

Kellie
    - Glad the blocked duct is clearing! Let me know what you think of the Ergos when you try one on! Oh and good luck at sleep school tomorrow!

Rebecca - Poor Caitlyn, I hope she feels better soon. The kittens are so cute! Re: metal spoons, I Googled it and they aren't recommended because they can hurt bubs gums or they can become hot. K isn't chomping down yet so I'm not too worried, but I'm not feeding him anything atm anyway.

Alz - Poor little Ethan, I hope he recovers quickly.

Viv - Yay for James eating eating sweet potato! Can't blame him, it's so yummy.

Mo - That's great Maddi loves zucchini! It's not the yummiest vegie, but so good for her!!

Celtic - Hope you have a better night tonight.

Julia - Sorry, I'm no expert so I can't really help you with your questions! It sounds like Max is doing well, so if you are happy with what you are doing, then keep doing it.

Saffi - That's great that L took the spoon of water, sounds like he will take to eating food well!

Well, better go tend to a cranky pants, have a great nite!

note to self: orange coloured vegies on a reflux baby was a bad idea (and staining too).

i think the little man can stick with gluggy rice until he's got his stomach sphincter under control. can't deal with yellowy chuck patches.

julia - i look at the bf thing this way: we've come so far, through all kinds of obstacles and pains but the reality is you have one month left to hit the WHO recommendations, and i only have 5 weeks. i think that even if i do have to go through another ovulation fuss patch, i should at least give him the last 5 weeks. then it's fair game, i can stock him up on whatever i can find and taper the bf away. i know it's a monumental PITA sometimes, but other times you know there's nothing they want more in the whole world than to hang out on the boob.

Thanks Saffi, Viv & Trish Viv you put it down in writing just the way I like it...without being made to feel laden with guilt! You are right, I will stick it out for another month....then I'll say goodbye!

Saffi you were a fabbo help too! I am starting to think it's almost time for Max to eat some 'real' stuff, but I had tried and he just gave me evils! Today though he sucked on a piece of pineapple and loved it! Meh! Will see!

Seeing the HCN on Monday to have him weighed and to talk about it all then. I just hope she doesn't give me a guilt trip!

Bye for now everyone

Hope all the sickies out there start feeling better SOON

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast