Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Babies Born October 2007 #24

Trish you are far from being a bad mum. You are coping so well considering you have a tough couple of months.
    M was rubbing/tugging her ear for 6 weeks before her tooth showed up, Her gum didn't even look swollen before it appeared.

Becky - there will definitely be no TTC for us for quite some time!

Mo - congrats on Maddi's tooth. Thanks for the advice on the solids.

You poor thing Trish, don't really have any advice to offer you, but I'm sure you are doing a great job. I'm with you, if K is crying on the floor then I would pick him up too. Don't feel sorry about whinging to us, thats what we are hear for, to listen and offer advice!

Another Question about solids.... When do you start increasing the amount and frequency? I have given Tahlia about 2 teaspoons of rice cereal at lunch time. Do I offer more than that at lunch time, or offer more times during the day? Sorry for all the questions!
    Last edited by ~kellie~; April 22nd, 2008 at 09:03 AM.

Kellie sorry forgot to answer that one yesterday, I upped M a couple days after i started because she wanted more.
    Tahlia will let you know when she's had enough or wants more, M likes to blow raspberries with a mouth full of food when she's full.
    As for when to introduce 2 meals a day just follow Tahlia's lead again, if she seems more grizzly in the morning or at night just offer some cereal or veggies & see how she goes

thanks Mo! how do you remember? my brain is still mushy. Especially my memory of when all our bubs arrived. So maddi's the oldest tart!

Trish- ya poor bugger, obviously i am not expert but i think trust your instincts. I couldn't leave Lu screaming on the ground. especially if i thought she was unwell. I think that makes you a good mum, not a bad one.
    2 months is a long time to be unsettled, must be tough. i found it hard for one week...............wish i could be more helpful.
    In the evening do you put him in a carrier? At least your hands are free. Have you tried him in a jolly jumper?
    Maybe he'll be happier once he is on the move......
    You are doing a great job, at least take comfort in the fact that this can't last forever!

ETA- Mo, Lu sprays me in food too when she's had enough! EIther that or screws her face up and makes a high pitched squeal. I prefer the food spray.

Kellie- What Mo said
    Last edited by Junglemum; April 22nd, 2008 at 09:16 AM.

Morning all

Rebecca - we're still on the Step 1 formula. I thought that Step 2 was for when solids are introduced. Everything I have read recommends full fat yoghurt. Actually diet dairy products aren't recommended until they are over 2 years old. They need the fat (unlike their mummies LOL). Good luck for the jab today. L's is next week.
    Julia - L is now totally weaned. As I had a low supply it didn't take much for the boobs to shut down completely. Still have a little let down in the shower but not even bothering to express anymore
    Kim - your ticker has me wondering too.
    Trish - I agree, you are far from being a bad mum. Given everything that you have to deal with on a daily basis,its natural to want to pick up a screaming baby not only to offer comfort but to stop the screaming. Don't have any suggestions so hopefully it is teething.

L's "cold" doesn't seem to be bothering him that much. A couple of coughs overnight but that was it. Haven't bothered with giving him anything.

Been reading a book by the Baby Whisperer. She is very big on routines and I've been thinking that perhaps I haven't been as structured with L as I should be. So last night I did a dreamfeed at 10pm and that lasted him until 3.30am. I then battled with him to resettle him until 4.15am. I gave in and he had a bottle and drank the whole thing (250mls). He then slept until 5.30am when needed resettling and then finally up at 7am. I have just tried to give him a bottle and he only took about 20mls. I am going to try to stick to 4 hourly feeding on the feed, play, sleep cycle but am already mucked up as he isn't hungry because of his 4am feed! I have been giving him a bottle when I put him down for his sleep so think that he now associates food and sleep. But will try to up the amount of food he is having so that he isn't wanting an overnight feed. Oh, used a sleepbag overnight. Still wriggled around the bed, but at least I wasn't concerned he was cold.

Off to get myself some breaky. BBL

Ange i remember those dates because you sent me that funny txt while i was still hospital & Myles because he was born on his due date.
    LOL M's happy to share the oldest tart title with Lu

trish - if anything, you need to pick up/carry him more. carried/worn babies are less clingy overall than the poor little mammals who are left to CIO in whatever situation. wear more.... dooo iiiiiit... and to blazes with anyone who thinks it causes clinginess, it doesn't.

my little beastie doesn't have a cold after all, must have just been a one-off snuffle patch. he is also clingy atm. this is the separation anxiety age AND teething-ville, so i expect him to go bats when i walk anywhere without him. i just carry him for as long as i possibly can. it's a cycle, just like everything in life. some parts of the day he's clingy, tired and sad, other parts he's himself.

i read a horrible article about ferber CIO and i actually cried reading this lady's account of making her poor little bub cry. so bad. why are people in such a rush to separate? i bet K will be fine after he's been glued to you for a few days. if that's what he needs, it makes you the best mummy in the world to him for giving him that comfort.

the ear pulling and redness sounds very teethy to me - being with mummy is probably quite a nice proposition to him at the moment.

i always think that the men-folk can be quite off-hand when it comes to all this because they just don't have the motherly compassion. the logic 'problem-solving' thing becomes more important than the big picture.

dh learnt the hard way once when i was out and he let james CIO, except he didn't cry it out at all - he just got worse and worse until he vomited. dh felt soooo bad he has never mentioned the dirty cry method ever again.

i always think about what i would want if i were mostly incapacitated, couldn't speak, couldn't feed myself, couldn't warm myself and bits of me, like my gums or ear, hurt - you're damn right i'd want someone to be there with me as much as possible.

there's plenty of time for these little pudgy mammals to be grown up and independent, and they will want it in their own time anyway. mummy is very uncool soon enough - but it sure is nice to be flavour of the first few months at least!!

that's my morning pep talk for the clingers and carriers out there.

woo ha!

eta: feel for the animals who have a number of little babies clinging to their undersides as they negotiate high branches. i'm grateful i don't have 6 grabbing onto my hair as i go about my business. nature wanted us to hang out with our babies until they're ready to go off by themselves - it's the best way to protect them.
    Last edited by ninja_turtle; April 22nd, 2008 at 09:46 AM.

Well said NT.

I agree, well said NT!

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_turtle View Post
    feel for the animals who have a number of little babies clinging to their undersides as they negotiate high branches. i'm grateful i don't have 6 grabbing onto my hair as i go about my business. nature wanted us to hang out with our babies until they're ready to go off by themselves - it's the best way to protect them.
    you always make me laugh the way you describe things!

Mo and Ange - thanks for the advice on the food.. might try a bit more cereal today and see how she goes

Trish I am with you....been dealing with this for a good long while now....I have my little monkey asleep on my chest as I type this....it's now become a skill to do everything with an 8.5kg kid attached to me. It's so hard to know what they want, but whatever you do will be the best for him so hang in there.

Viv Good speech! I am with you 100%

Max still isn't moving around much. I think I'm going to take him to a physio to get him checked out. I'm not worried about his body bits as such, just want to help him learn. I think a lot of his whinging and whining comes down to the fact he wants something, but can't get to it. Lazy bones! This morning DH tried to get him to roll over and got his arm stuck....he hated it!!

There has been lots of night waking here...last night went to bed at 6:30 (noice) then up at 9, 11:30, 1 till 2....tiring! I think he's still asleep while he's crying though...don't know what his problem is...bit of boob helps though so I'm sticking to it! Today I'm going to give him a bit more food. He's still only keen on pumpkin so don't know what I'll do to spice up his life! Will just try anything!!

Hope everyone has a good day.

nice to know i'm not the only one in wake-central.

that stuck-arm phase means he's really close to getting it.

even though when jj was a biddy thing he didn't like tummy time, i still foisted it upon him every time i put him on his mat - that way he *had* to roll over if he didn't want to be on his tummy anymore. necessity forced his hand. then he hated being on his back, now he will roll onto his tummy no matter how i put him (as he destroys the telstra junk mail.. )

max will get the suss soon.

Well said Viv! I wish I was able to put my thoughts into words better! They are only babies for such a short time and they will grow up and be fine and sleep through! I hope!

Trish your doing a fab job! Some babies are needier than others! Just keep following your heart! And my Dh is the same, i keep trying to get him to read some books i have read but he wont! So I will just keep nagging!

Good luck to the bubbas having needles!

Not much happening! Just borrowed "the science of parenting" from the library and looking forward to reading it!

Am still shaken up about Desperate houswives last night I was feeling her pain when the house was gone and her kids were buried! I dont know what i would do! Ha its only a show but i cried like a baby! what a sook hey!

Thanks everyone! I have been having a really rough time of it for so long that sometimes it really gets to me. I spend most evenings in tears on the phone to my mum or DH LOL!

Viv - Thanks, you really do write a great speach! I have been carrying him vitually everywhere for ages, but when you've got another child to look after it is sooo exhausting. I just can't leave him to cry and some people close to me make me feel like I really should just leave him so he'll "learn". But I just CAN'T do it!

Ange - I do put him in the Jolly Jumper and he loves it, but by the evening he is so distressed that he doesn't want to be put down and he won't have a bar of any of his toys. He likes being in is Ergo, but only if I'm walking around heaps, he won't let me stand still and cut veggies! I think you're right that he'll be happier once he is mobile.

Julia - Sorry you're going through it too, it's hard work!

There is definite separation anxiety atm, whenever I leave the room he cries. Joel did the same, but K just seems so much more extreme. I'm really hoping a fang appears and he goes back to being normal! Thanks again everyone, it's so nice to be able to vent and get some supportive comments back.

I agree with everyone else Viv well said.

Amber i was the Desperate houswives last night, looking forward to next week episode.

not bad for a nutso with a bad haircut!!

Afternoon all!
    Well needles went really well this morning. Although we were there for close to 2 hours! Poor little C - was trying to hold off on a feed for directly after the jabs. anyway - there was a nurse-in-training there today and of course I made her hold C while she was getting the jabs - good training! Bad idea though - C was looking directly at me while they jabbed her. of course she cried, held her breath etc and when i grabbed her off this ladies lap (sorry love!) and gave her a cuddle - she forgot all about what was going on and gave the woman a great big smile!!! hat tha?
    anyway - my little girl is now 8.16 kg and 66.5 cm long - I think the Dr said she has a 43 cm head but that may be wrong - book is in the car - cant be bothered walking to get it - when I get it out I will update.
    I am considering getting her the step 2 formula today and just trying it out - can I give her one of two bottles and then go back to the step 1?? Hmmm might ask wyeth!
    Went to the butcher today (one thing about living out here that is really good - meat is FANTASTIC! and pretty cheap too!) and bought some extra steak so will cook/process it over the long weekend
    Anyway - am off to get little miss C from daycare and hope that I can cheer up my boss just a little. I know it doesnt make it any better but she lost her 21 yr old son through a car accident recently so I am hoping see my ltitle bundle of "joy" might brighten her day a little!
    mwah

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789