Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2007 #5

We leave Wednesday 28th November and we are back in Melbourne Wednesday 5th December (night time), so any day from the 6th is good for me! But Monday and Fridays are no good.

Good morning all - sounds like we all had fun last night!
    Trish - What is this settling method of yours?? I am very curious as it can sometimes take Caitlyn up to 2 hours to settle and by then she is hungry for a feed!
    She had a pretty good night last night - except for her normal dummy spit between 6.30 and 8 pm. Its everyday so we are dealing with that easily. She slept from 9pm until 1245 and I managed to settle her by 130 and then up again at 4 am, down at 445 then up again at 630 - although I think DH's alarm woke her more than anything. And I have only just gotten her to go to sleep now! Tried everything - even a bath.
    Speaking of baths! We bought one of those combo change tables/baths. I am too short for it!! Its uncomfortable for me to give Caitlyn a bath and I think that makes it harder to do! She hates it when I bath her but when DH does it - LOVES it.
    Anyway - had better take this opportunity to makes some phone calls and do some washing. Have a good day everyone!

Rebecca - the technique that I use is based on Trish's. Another friend was taught this in sleep school and worked very well for her. What we do is when bubs is really unsettled and does that inconsolable crying (practically screaming), we swaddle him very tightly, put him in his basinette either on his back or his side, with one hand hold the dummy in his mouth and the other hand pat his back or tummy (rythmic like a heart beat). We have found that he will continue crying but after a little while, sometimes 5 mins or more or less, the crying lessens and within a few more minutes he is asleep. I also use this to put him down even when he isn't crying, and generally alert - does take longer tho. A hint is to look at the clock when you do this - what can seem like forever is only really a few minutes and it helps me keep it in perspective. Another tip I was given is to not look at bubs in the eye when you are doing this as it will stimulate him . Trish may want to clarify exactly what she does.

CatherineL Guest

I'm sorry to hear some of you had a not so good night... I'm not sure what's going on with Rochelle...3rd night last night only waking up once for a feed and then straight back down - perhaps she is dropping a feed? Maybe it could be the formula in the earlier evening? But we have been giving her that bottle of formula for over a week now and she has the breast before she sleeps through too... *shrugs* IDK.. but it suits me just fine - I just hope she is getting enough food during the day then. Gosh.. the worry!

We have to go out so I haven't done the personals thing today! Best for today everyone!

How about ricketts on the 11th, 12th or 13th then?

i'm pretty sure any of those dates suit me

ange... yes, i do like to retrieve snot from his nose. with his cold and a suction device it's been even more entertaining for me. naturally he hates it but it's kinda alluring ... ahem. motherhood. (dh gags at the sight of snot but not poo)

cath... ha ha... louis has seen your hoo har... neener neener neenerrr... nah, i'm sure he was cool about it. i think i'm still wussing out. i've booked james' 6 week check but not mine. eep. about night feeds - well, gigantor has only really needed one middle of the night feed. he has been doing a 6 or 7 hour first stretch of sleep at night, so it's usually at 1 or 2am. next stretch of sleep is about 3 hours so i do a feed that takes us up to around 5am. also - do you or have you been to the nurse at the healthpoint pharmacy at helensvale? she's there tues and fri. was thinking about it.

i think you can trust ro to tell you whether she needs more or not. for such small things they're pretty darn complicated.

kimbaz - what is the evap thing, is there a link? we have a/c in our room and the family room but i know james will need something for his room because it gets way hot in the afternoon. (already up to 26 in there yesterday) *nerd with laser thermometer*

whoever it was with the projectile vomit... (sorry can't remember now)... james will do this every other day. he had one today all over his dad. i put it down to my hideous over-supply in my right boob. he has been confusing my boobs lately by sometimes doing cluster feeds, then sometimes sleeping for hours. boobs don't know if they're coming or going. he gets a face full, overdoes it then has a hurl. poor kid. oh for the little tummy sphincter to hurry up and start working properly.

what time is the logan thing?

Morning (just) ladies and babies.

Claire - was lovely to catch up again, next time I promise to be on time cos atleast I know where I'm going now.

Nic - WTG on the promo and I believe we are meeting every monday at 10 at the same place. Look forward to seeing you there.

Catherine - it's likely that Ro is dropping a night time feed, our Maddi has last feed around 10pm and then no feeds until abt 5.30/6am, although she doesn't go to sleep till abt 11.30/12 wish was earlier but that time is her most unsettled part of the day, still dealing with excessve vomiting and what I think is wind....

In general - we burp Maddi using all the techniques mentioned, sometimes it is easy and other times no matter waht we try she just won't play 'little miss piggy'

For my SS person I will be posting the pressie on Friday!!!

Busy week for us on Thursday Alesha is having a birthday 'Sweet 16' so have family dinner with in-laws Thurs night, celebration with youth group Fri night, dinner at Mum's Sat night (my Nan and Aunt come to visit first time seeing Maddi), BBQ party for Alesha on Sunday with school friends at local regional park. Plus my great great uncle who lives at Gulgong is turning 100!!! on Sunday

Does anyone's baby only have short sleeps thru the day??? Maddi naps here and there for 1/2hr lots - very hard to get things done unless I hold her all the time and keep putting her back to sleep - any tips for extending her sleep.

Oh I got AF on Sunday (TMI) - it is very heavy, clotty and so painful, my tummy feels like its been thru the wringer plus the jelly legs and backache!!!! Maybe I should get pregnant just not have to deal with this carp again - LOL!!!

Ursula - my bub has some short naps during the day. I too have tried everything. The only thing that seems to work is to put her in a baby carrier and carry her around with me. But when I try to put her in her cot/bouncer so that I can go outside (34 degrees right now!) she cries and wakes. The only thing I have been able to do is sit with her and stroke her back/tummy and sing to her but still only short naps. She does most of her long sleep (3-4 hours) at night.
    Caitlyn has had bad pains with wind so we resorted to wind drops - and they work fantastically. Everytime she burps at least once. At one stage she outdid her father in the burp stakes! Seems to stop the little milk spews as well. No vomiting for this one - YET.
    Time for me to grab something to eat before Caitlyn wakes up - longest nap in a while - 2 hours so far!

Just rung my doctor they said they dont do 6 week checks anymore it's only 8 week checks so they can give you all the injections etc so people don't have to visit twice..

Should I try and book a 6 week check somewhere else or just go to the 8week check?

Also starting to bleed again think its AF...NOOOOOO!!!! lol why can't I have one week of freedom >.<

Claire Guest

Nic - Nitro sounds cool! Very fast - we will be at the top in no time! I think we should stick to Mondays at the same place for the time being and venture further afield in a few months or so? We could take turns to pick a place maybe? I also thought we could get recommended people in to give us a talk; ie chiropractor, infant massage therapist, nutritionist that kind of thing?

I'm taking Harry to a infant massage class today which should be fun! Except he's asleep and I bet he sleeps through it! Maybe I can borrow someone elses baby to practice on?

Ursula - I'm rubbish at giving directions sorry!!

Burping - I burb Harry over my shoulder with a towelling square protecting my top half. He doesn't spew as much as he used to which is good. I burp half way through each side and when the side is finished too. I've got a fast let down so he has to gulp at times and that always means air in the tummy.

I've decided to get a cleaner - I'm definitely turning into a lady of leisure now!! I'm going to get them in once a fortnight, it's just to take the pressure off a bit so that I can spend more time with the children and not be stressing about the bathroom needing doing. Yay!!

Hi mummas and bubbas!
    Myles is sleeping really well at night! He only has little naps during the day maybe an hour max!
    Burping, we dont make him burp just pop him on our shoulder and if wants to he does, sometimes he doesnt burp at all! For the first couple of weeks we were religously burping after every feed and it upset him, but every baby is different!
    Omg you girls make me laugh! Picking snot from your babies noses!ha! I wan to but his lil noses holes are tiny! I just kinda give it a rub!

Misskate I too have heard about the whole not burping thing, hence we dont burp! But like you said you have to take in what you want and what works for you!
    Nic congrats on the promotion! Love the name too very clever!
    Catherine, Myles has dropped a feed too! He is only up once a night now! Its hard not to worry hey! What time are we meeting and are we bringing partners?
    Viv great sleeping by james! whata champ!
    Ursula have a great week Happy birthday to alesha and wow your great great uncle turning 100! Bummer about AF im dreading it coming back! Its been so long and so wonderfull without it!
    Claire hope you had a great time at baby massage, its so much fun! We have a cleaner....its my mum! Ha she loves helping out, but its great cause its one less stress for me!
    Rebecca sounds like Caitlyn has got a pretty good sleeping pattern! Have you tried bathing her with you? Its quite tricky so do it when DH is home so he can help you in and out but its nice to get in with them!x
    Trish going to try to read your birth story now!

Hope everyone esle is well and getting some sleep!Im off to eat something while the lil tyke is asleep!
    x

forgot to add I have uploaded more pics in my gallery! If anyone wants a squiz! All the bubs are so cut i love seeing your bubs gilrs! x

Amelia Guest

Amber - I don't think we have decided on a time as yet. My DH won't be coming he will be working!!

Ok just thought i saw someone say we were bringing partners? could just be my baby brain too! My DH will probably be sleeping! ha!

Ange Those dates are fine by me, how bout 11/12pm or 12/1pm

12th December sounds good to me... 12/1 pm!

Viv evap cooling is like a/c but it runs on water...ducted thru the whole house. Dont have a like but if u call some a/c people im sure they will do evap cooling too.

Hi all!

Rebecca - What Saffi said! She has described the settling technique perfectly. I was told that technique by a MCHN, she even demonstrated on Kieran and it worked straight away, I love her!

Catherine - Sounds like you are doing a great job with Rochelle, half your luck if you get to drop a feed! Try not to worry, babies are great at telling us when they are hungry! If she is happy within herself and still gaining weight then I wouldn't worry at all.

Ursula - I think babies do 40 minute sleep cycles and sometimes have trouble settling back to sleep by themselves. My first DS was a shocker at getting back to sleep. I put him in a baby hammock and would bounce him for ages until he went back to sleep. This bub I can settle back to sleep by either re-wrapping him, patting him on the back or picking him up for a minute and patting him then putting him back down. I hope you find something that works!

Celtic - Bummer about AF returning . Not sure if it's worth worrying about getting a 6 week check up, I'm sure it would be OK to wait until 8 weeks.

Claire - I wish DH would let me get a cleaner in! It is so hard to find the time with two children, I have no idea how I will get any cleaning done when I start my business back up!

Boomba - Myles is such a cutie! Thanks for sharing your pics.

That's weird how some people dispute whether or not babies need to be burped! I think it will just depend on the bub somehow. I know Kieran will cry, go red in the face and look in a lot of pain and when I pick him up he'll do a big burp and settle straight back down.

Re: VIC meet-up, I will see how I go, but it may be a bit hard for me to co-ordinate driving that far with Joel & Kieran. Kieran will probably be due for a feed and Joel due for a nap around then so I will play it by ear a bit. It would be great if DH could come so he could help me, but he has to work

I was going to start business back up in early December, but I'm having reservations now. I'm considering running it online only until February. I think it will be easier to manage my two boys and life in general by the time Kieran is three months old. I dunno...It's all too hard right now!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast