Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born September 2007 #35

hi everyone
    thanks for the bday wishes... much appreciated. i had a 'memorable' day - nothing bad will fill you in on details when i have more time.
    Rainy good luck for tomorrow
    MD you sound in good spirits my dear - week 1 of DHs trip done now for you!!!
    Hi to everyone else - sorry no time and sooo tired atm (in melbs again for work and N is still sick) - just thought i'd let you know ia m still alive - feeling OLD but alive!!
    xxx

maybe you guys can tell me what i'm doing wrong- sorry for selfishness atm but i'm going crazy.ok, ill give you a break down of what's been happening and you guys can tell me what you think.

5pm- dinner time/ play with dad
    6pm- warm relaxing bath
    6.30pm- lie in bed with L, listen to lullaby cd,breastfeed until falling asleep
    7pm- i sneak out and leave him in bed

sometime about 45mins to an hour later- he wakes up
    i go backin there and try to resettle but he's crazy and starts standing up, yelling etc.
    sometimes i stay in there for abit and try to resettle but he's just too hyper so usually i bring him back out here and right it off for a couple of hours. i can't go on like this!

pregpan- happy belated birthday. is noah with you in melb?

sherie- oh poor A.big big hugs.

arte- enjoy the carrot festival, around here we look forward to the chestnut festival

jaz- i checked out that website thank you.i can't find any culprits. mmm maybe lewis is in a later spotlight edition.i know for sure he's on the cover of the fathers day edition.

hello everyone else
    i just have my ob appointment tomorrowand i think she'll send me for a scan next week.
    i rang a doula but she was driving so she said she'd call me backbut she never did

hi rainy - the same thing was happening with Hannah as well. I find if she falls asleep while i'm feeding her, she wakes up not long after and is difficult to get back to sleep. I try hard to get her to have an afternoon sleep (about 3:30) so she won't fall asleep on the boob. I know that when she is waking she is looking for me - because i was with her when she fell asleep , if she wakes and i'm not there she gets upset. I know that is why she doesn't sleep well, but i'm choosing to rock her to sleep still. It just works for me at this time.
    Anyway, I guess perhaps what i'm saying is the reason that L is probably waking is because you were there with him when he fell asleep and so gets upset when he stirs and you're not there. (have been doing a bit of reading lol) I'm not sure how to fix it, other than teaching him to self settle - and i'm definitely not a good example of that lol.

i don't think i answered your question re the dummy - i use the Happy baby brand. Apparently a lot of midwives recommend them. I know it gives them something else to be dependent on, but if it works... Hannah wouldn't take it at first, but i kept popping it in, and eventually she took it - especially when she was really sleepy.

If it gets too hard for you to cope with, would you consider having a 'baby whisperer' visit you at home. I know a couple of people who have used one and their sleep woes have been fixed. They cost a bit, but may be worth it if it means you get more sleep.

sorry for the babble, and i've probably been of no help. I do know how you feel though

That's never a good sign Rainy. Hope her customer service improves!
    Hmmmm can the little man do more than one sleep cycle or is he waking every 45 minutes all the time? How many day sleeps is he having? how long are they? Just thinking of the old sleep promotes sleep thing.
    Is this normal for him, or is he worse than usual? When Lu was getting top teeth she woke every 45 min, now she can do a decent stint again. Maybe he is unwell or in pain (if you think he is in pain have you tried panadol?), or he might be working on his next big leap. (as in walking)
    I tried really hard for a few nights not feed her all the time. It took a while, and a bit or corridor walking, but she got used to being cuddled to sleep, rather than fed. Now i am working on patting rather than rocking her. But this whole process has taken weeks. Slowly, slowly i have tried to break each habit.
    During the day i go into her room at 40 min mark and gently pat her, or run in when i hear the first squeak, she stirs but doesn't wake up and generally i can get her to settle for another 45 min. This only works in the morning though, not a chance in the arvo.
    Like someone suggested, maybe he has a food intolerance......
    What happens if your man settles him? That was the other thing we did to try and cut out night feeds, DP would go into her and try and settle. (Didn't always work, but did/does sometimes.)
    Sorry i am certainly no expert, i was in your shoes not long ago. But thought i'd share some ideas, you never know what might help...
    I think from all the reading i have done that consistency is most important. But as it says in no cry, if it's not working, dont sweat it, go back to the old way of settling and try again next time.
    Hope things are better tonight. sorry for rambling, i should be in bed! xxx

ETA- have you given him a 'lovey' that smells like you? i found that helped too. I wear it down my top during the day sometimes, and then it smells of all my gross sweat, but she seems to like it!

thanks for your help jaz
    i think you're exactly right about him waking up without me and freaking out.ijust don't know what else to do.
    i have a happy baby dummy,might pull it out of the cupboard again.
    i guess i'm not doing anything too drastic atm cos i think he might still be a bit sick so this isn't helping the situation.
    i'mjust at wits end. he can't sleepin my arms forever.
    dp will never pay for a baby whisperer.....

thanks ange
    he can do more than one sleepcycle.he normally sleeps 10.30-11.30 am, then 1.30-3,00pm everyday. it's just when i try to put him to bed at night.
    he wasn't this bad before.he caught a really bad cough from mothers group- don't even get me started on the really thoughtless and stupid mother who brings her child to everyones house, lets her suck on all their toys, share their foodetc.and then proceeds to tell us that her dd has been waking herself up coughing every couple of hours and vommitting phlem for 7 weeks.
    anyway., since he started coughing the day after we saw her and his sleep has been shocking ever since.i have given panadol, nurofen,used a vaporiser, wore him in a sling.....
    dp cannot settle him.
    i have tried that method from no cry of getting him off the boob but he acts like i am giving him a chinese waterburn.

Oh love, sleep deprivation sux. I would just try and ride it out while he is sick. Like you say, there is no point trying to fix anything when he is unwell. IT will get better.
    When its been happeneing for a few nights you feel like '**** this is what it is going to be like forever!' But then a few days down the track he will improve out of sight and it will all seem like a bad dream.
    Not that that makes you feel any better right now, but when he is feeling himself his sleep will get better too.
    I guess it could also be seperation anxiety, he knows this is the long stint where mummy is going to leave him, again the lovey that smells like you might help..... just thinking outloud

Yeah dont get me started on MG women and their germs. One bought her bub who had been at the RCH on Sunday for his long standing viral cough to MG???? What are some people thinking? seriously. The same woman had a cold and got a big dollop of sugary cream/custard on her finger and fed it to Lu? Again....WTF???? anyhooo, i'll stop ranting now.

Oh in regards to getting Lu off the boob, she did protest ALOT and it took a while, but she got the hang of it. I never held her jaw or anything, i just took her off when she was drowsy and rocked her, then if she was upset put her back on and started again. It doesnt always work but i can rock her to sleep 8/10 times now.

rainy - does L sleep in his cot during the day?

**** ange!
    i just can't believe that.why would you turn up when your childhad been at the rch on sunday!!! i can't believe that.
    the worst part is that i was supposed to have it at my house last week but rang everyone and cancelled cos L had been sick since the mg the weekbefore and dp refused to let that particular mother come to our house. so i rang everyone and cancelled- ijust didn't want to risk l seeing that baby again. then the next day i went to my friend's place so our babies could play and she just randomly came around to my friend's place with her sick, coughing kid! we couldn't believe it.i kept lewis on my lap the whole time and wouldn't let him play with her dd. so friggin angry!
    yes i have left a lovey with him.he ignores it..
    anyway, how are you feeling? have you hadascan yet? sorry about my typing, i have no spacebar!

yes he sleeps either in my bed or in the cot during the day

ha, i type like that and i have a space bar!
    No scan yet, will see OB @ 10 weeks. (Was thinking of popping into mum's work and having a little look, but that's a bit naughty! )
    Some people are just so selfish, or maybe they really dont think about it? dunno, but drives me nuts. Keep ya nasty germs to yourself!

Sorry i can't be more helpful. Hope you are napping in the day, and getting as much sleep as you can.

thanks ange, i'm gonna go lie in bed with him now.....
    try to get him to sleep
    big hugs

rainy - how are you typing without the space bar?
    sorry for all of the questions - just trying to gather all the information - would love to help you have a good night sleep. Do you put L down to sleep at night in his cot or in your bed?

Hey everyone!

G, I don't have any solutions for you hun. If you do start to implement a more rigid routine etc, it may take a little time, you just have to be patient, which I know is really hard when you're not 100%. And if he isn't 100% that wont be helping either. Huge Hugs for you though, you sound really drained atm...

H, so glad to hear you may have solved the mystery. I brought a pair of jeans a while back and they still have a hint of the chemical smell in them and they have been washed heaps.

Marydean, I and sitting here with a big grin at your mummy revenge LOL. Well done on the buy of the century. I have seen those and they look really good.

Pregpan, I eagerly await your birthday tale LOL.

Ange, yep, you do get a lot more casual as you go on LMAO. It wasn't that bad though, just a quick wipe and it was OK - more snot came out than blood.

How is Noni today?

Jaz, Well done on the purchase today *gives fairy claps* mum and I are braving it tomorrow just for a sticky beak.

Arte, I"m dying to hear all aobut the carrot festival too LMAO - I have never heard of it before.

Rainy, we have the same sleep problems as you. I think it is that he is not very good at self settling because I have always fed him to sleep. As I said in my rambling post before, when L wakes up you need to keep him in bed so he knows it is night time. If you get him up then he will just think that 7pm is just a nap time and he gets to play when he wakes up. It is really boring lying there with them, W chats, plays with the pillow/blanket, cries. I just keep telling him night-night time and lying him back down and offering him boob. Eventually he will take it, usually after he has cracked it and started crying. After a few nights he won't expect to get up anymore, but it will take a few nights of staying strong, even when it can take over an hour for them to give up and go back to sleep. This is just what worked for us, up to you whether you think it will work for you and L.

The other thing I can think of is when you go in to check after about 40 minutes, quietly get into bed with him and the second he starts to stir shove boob in his mouth. I know it won't do anything for the feed to sleep thing but it might help with the waking problem.

I know that for us it isn't seperation anxiety because he wakes up just as frequently during the night when I am right there. I think in our case it is that he has a very strong feed to sleep association and really thinks he needs to feed to go to sleep. I didn't expect to have such major sleep issues with a 10 month old. I really thought that he would be sleeping through well before now.

Sounds like there are heaps of odd festivals around - chestnut, pumpkin, carrot lol

W has started standing from the floor so he doesnt need to crawl over and pull himself up on something now. I think that development was why he was so clingy the other day because as soon as he mastered it he went back to happy normal. He is soooo fast on his feet, and silent too. He is there one second and then gone the next lol
    Last edited by Artechim; July 25th, 2008 at 08:18 AM.

hello hello
    well feeling much better after my baby free day yesterday though we are straight back into it today.. Asha got up early and cried until i was forced to get up lol.. dp said to me last night that i will probably want a break once a week rather than once a fortnight lol i dont know whether i should be insulted by that or not haha i think he is thinking of himself more than he is thinking of me iykwim lol.. i think i will stick with once a fortnight for now though as i feel bad taking up all my mums time.. she works shift work and gets one or two days off a week if i am taking up her one day a week when its only one day she wont have much time to herself or with her husband so id feel bad about that lol.. feeling good about one day a fortnight anyway considering i had nothing before haha..
    arte - wow thats clever standing up without anything!!
    trillian - doing well thanks how bout yourself?
    jazmum - i went to target last night and looked at the smart trikes.. they only had the red one left ofthe $100 variety and then there was a more plasticy $80 one dp wouldnt let me get the red one haha he said it was over the top because it wasnt her brithday etc (stamps foot) he told me we could get the other one but it would still be spoiling her lol i didnt end up getting anything lol coz i wanted the $100 one and was sooking haha pitty i cant just go without him damn not having a car! or a licsence hahaha
    ange - does your mum work at an ultrasound place? i would so go and have a look haha i think i had like 3 scans before 12wks i was sooo paranoid!!!
    rain - sorry i cant be much help with the sleeping thing what we do is bath, pjs and put her in bed with a bottle but we often have the same problems your having
    bettergo asha stinks and shes pulling out all the papers from the desk ahhhhhh

Arte - Target have the deluxe smart trikes for $100, down from $150. The place we saw the eurotrikes at, they were $170 but they were going to give us a special deal of about $140. Enjoy the festival!

Rainy - sorry, can't give you much more advice than the others have given you. is your night time bed routine different than daytime naps? ie can you read a certain book that is only read before bed, then he might start to associate that with longer sleeps.

MD - lol at your PP!!

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast