Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born September 2007 #8

Default Babies Born September 2007 #8

This thread is for parents who's baby was born in September 2007.

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Christy - [email protected] ~ Administrator
    Sherie - [email protected] ~ Senior Moderator
    Lea13 - [email protected]
    Astrolady -
    [email protected] ~ Administrator

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Baby Formula - What Manufacturers Don't Want You To Know
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids or formula.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Please note - To receive thread notfications click the "thread tools" button at the top of this post and click "Subscribe to Thread" there is no need to post in order to get notifications.

Your previous thread can be found here

been trying to get the house clean.. u see we live with my dad and his gf and we have the back of the house so its like a smallish sun room that we have for our lounge room and a bedroom as well very very hard to find places for everything because its quite small for all three of us and all our crap lol... we are looking to move early - mid next year if we have the money... so yeah have had some success getting things clean and finding places for things... not looking forward to christmas when we get zillions of presents for Asha and have no where to put them lol oh well...
    was someone talking about the fisher price rainforest musical lights deluxe gym the other day?? looks pretty good mums gonna get it for Ash for christmas...
    supab - yep outside usually always works for us atleast for a little while so u get a break from the crying... our aresenic hour can be anywhere from 3-7 lol shes been a little better lately more wingy then screamy but she has had a few screaming episodes in the morning lately too so not sure whats happening there...
    fianne - bummer about the bouncer not working.. in saying that it only works for me if she is in a good mood when i put her in it... i thought sleeping on the tummy was fine as long as they could lift up their heads and turn it to the side.. especially if you have one of those monitors id say give it a shot!!!

Renee - The tattoo is such a sweet idea. I'd love to get a little M or something special, but I'm just a wuss. My sister is addicted to tats, it seems every time I see her she has a new one! My parents just roll their eyes now.

Noni - I love bio oil. I started using it half way through my pregnancy and it made my stretch marks fade. I ran out and havent had the chance to buy some more, so they kinda came back...along with the horrible horrible pigmentation. Between that and the loose skin, I will never wear a bikini again!! The fisher price gym does look good, i've been meaning to go and buy it. Definately would make a nice chrissy pressie, but I found that they are so popular they sell out fast. So maybe put one on lay by or buy one soonish to ensure you dont miss out. Hopefully i'll be off to toys r us tomorrow to get one.

Katie - Definately look into a mothers group, I've only been to mine once but it was great. I'd love to get a photo of Maddie with Santa as well this yr, baby's 1st chrissy!

Jaz - How sweet is your hubby - love the t shirt idea!

Fianne - What about one of those baby swings to help her sleep? Unfortunately all the ones I have seen arent cheap though. Maybe look in the paper for a second hand one? I like the look of the fisher price sensory swing, was in target today for $130. too much for me atm.

sherie - I have taken your advice and tried putting Maddie down in her bassinet when I see the sleep signs, instead of automatically rocking her in the bassinet. I am so happy to say that is working perfectly!! Most of the time I have to go back to her a few times to put the dummy back in and a forehead stroke, for reassurance, but eventually she drops off.

I figured out my bottle dillema after a bit of research on the net. Apparently you have to make sure the teat is well and truly pulled through the ring (which I always do) but also you cant screw the top onto the bottle too tightly, which I think is where I was going wrong. They seem to be fine now, besides i'm too scared to change, Maddie isnt very windy and i'm wondering if its the bottles?

Went shopping today and bought Maddies 1st chrissy pressie, a fisher price rainforest soother thing which attaches to the cot. I love fisher price in case you hadnt noticed, too bad they are so darn expensive. Anyway its for when she moves into her cot, which will probably be around chrissy. DP reckons its more of a pressie for us if its going to soothe her to sleep hopefully every night!

Also looked at chrissy trees, because we havent bothered in the past. Why are christmas trees so expensive!!? Its ridiculous. Myer have some beautiful baby's first christmas decorations though.

Noni, It is hard when they get so many toys and you have no where to put them. Our kids have that much stuff - mainly brought by my mum, that I have started taking stuff away that they don't use. So far this year she has brought them a see-saw for christmas, and the girls are each getting that singing barbie doll head thing and Lindsay is getting a Transformers mask - far too much if you ask me but she has already brought it.

Hayley, great to hear that the self settling is working for you so far. It isn't long and they have no trouble at all with it. I love that it doesn't involve letting them cry at all either.

It is so hot here today. We were out most of the day in town too, so Alister is out of sorts now from being in and out of the car and being hot, then cold (from the air con). He slept for ages when we got home and is still a bit fussy with his feeds.

haley - i love fisher price too we are gonna get the aqaurium soother for the cot told dad thats what she wants for chrissy coz they were asking... n mums getting the gym i'll let her knw about the selling out thing...
    sherie - yeah my mum is the same shes getting the gym thing n i keep telling her thats plenty then she tells me about something else shes bought lol i guess its just a grandparent thing

noni - my mum spoils my girls rotten. They have 27 Barbie Dolls, and i'd say my mum has bought 3/4 of them!! When they want something, they always ask Nanny instead of me, because they know she can't say no lol.

lol jazmum i bet when ash gets older itll b that way too

Oh yay Sherie I just put her down, eyes wide open but tired, left her and came back ten mins later - asleep woo hoo!! Sorry just very excited that I didnt even have to go back to her! Poor Alister, the weather really does get to them doesnt it.

Noni - Yep grandparents go mad with baby clothes and toys dont they? I so dont expect my parents or DP's parents to buy her things, but I must admit its great when they do, it really helps out. Especially if your parents are getting the FP soother and gym, thats some serious money saved there yay! When we were preparing for Maddies arrival, our parents spent tonnes. Tim's lovely nanna gave us $1000 for furniture and she didnt stop there, she showered us with clothes. We were (and still are) very lucky.

Jaz - Hehe how cute are your girls, sounds like they have nanny wrapped around their little fingers! 27 Barbies far out. This is what I have to look forward to hey?

Evening All,

Firstly Hello to everyone and hope you all have a lovley weekend planned. As for me I am going to test drive a car tomorrow morning and now have to go to ww on saturdays so I hope I have not put on any.
    We actually had another person ring up about my car today and they are coming to have a look on the weekend also the man from perth is coming over to have a look at it as well. Oh I hope it sells as DH has his heart set on this new car. As for me well I dont really care as I love the car I have now in saying that the new car my DH is buying me is the same type just the new model and with extras that mine doesnt have like bluetooth and air con all the way through. I told DH he can only sell my car if he makes the new car look the same he said yes. My cousin is coming over this weekend to plan our day at seaworld which the boys will absolutley love. I am going to leave Olivia with mum for her first sleep over. We are staying down the coast for the night as well. Oh Olivia just woke up so I better go before she starts crying and wakes the boys up. Sorry I will catch up with everyone later.

Hi ladies, no idea what the grandfolks will do for E for Chrissy this year, my parents asked for a wishlist and I just said "Make sure it's not made by Mattel in China" hahaha. H is at that age where it gets a bit dicey with toys (are they too young for her even tho she saw it on the telly and wants it??). So we'll go half'n'half with a toy or two but other 'real' things like a new funky beach towel, & stuff for her room, etc. Always gets lots of books as I can't resist them. Haven't really planned anything yet, not helped by the fact that our junk mail deliveries have stopped completely. No more sitting down with a cuppa tea to look at the catalogues!

Leanne - Seaworld I'm jealous! We're sort of planning a trip to visit family in Qld (next year???) and the plan is to do one or two of the theme parks. I was thinking Movie world and Sea world but TBH I don't know which one/two are the best...not into roller coasters as such so there needs to be other stuff.

Hayley well done with the self settling, here it works sometimes but other times it's rock and pat all the way!

Noni I'm going to remember your tip about getting outside during arsenic hour as DH is going away this week (AND is also on standby for maybe a longer trip) and then again the following week for nearly a fortnight. It makes all the difference having someone to hand the baby over to for 15 mins when you need it. I sort of get stuck sometimes when I'm trying to feed & settle and she's really worked up and she starts clawing at me (no joke I have this huge crisscross of scratch marks all over my chest) and it's either hand her over or put her down to scream for a minute or 3 while I compose myself again. Handing her over is the much better option! I will keep a pram at the ready...

Took E into work yesterday, she slept for the 1st half of morning tea then grizzled and cried...a few of the ladies took it in turn for cuddles but she really wasn't at her best...unlike H who always played to the crowds (and still does LOL). Oh well they will be enjoying the pleasure of her company again for our Christmas lunch in a month's time...

ETA - bit jealous of all these new cars you lucky ladies...I'm working on winning myself one out of That's Life since we have other financial priorities right now...
    Last edited by AnyDream; November 17th, 2007 at 09:47 AM.

leanne - wow enjoy sea world.. n hope everything with the car goes well!!!
    haley - we are really lucky with that stuff too we hardly bought anything, cot, carseat, bouncer, pram all bought for us not to mention numerous other things..
    md - asha claws me too that and pulls my hair!!!
    hope everyone has a great wkend!!!

Hi all,
    MD & other BF gurus - at which point should you start getting worried about your baby's vomiting? LAst night DD had a massive puke - not quite exorcist-style revolving head projectile, but pretty darn impressive nonetheless. It looked like such a lot coming out; I'd been feeding/changing/settling/feeding again for 1.5 hrs and wonder if she was just too full or is something else wrong? She was still keen to latch on. This is the second or third time it's happened and I'm starting to get worried. She down't seem in pain as such but coughs and splutters lots. The MCHN said to burp her upright for 10-15 mins after each feed, but she squirms and keeps trying to turn her head and latch on to something which makes her more antsy. She also pulls back during feeds - I'm wondering if I have a letdown with the force of a firehose LOL.
    Referring back to the furkid discussion of a thread or two ago - we haven't had any issues - our kitties have accepted her and are curious but largely leave her to be unless it's to come up, sniff and sometimes smooge against her. However ourboy furkid is obsessed with her playmat whenever she isn't occupying it!
    so cute to ehar everyone's chrissy present ideas - MD you'd be proud, we've already bought her 2 books! DH has of course also bought her a jingly soft soccer ball...
    Hope all is well with everyone!

Queenie, darlink! Babies puking is so normal they've thought up a rather quaint little word for it "posseting". It's because the sphincter at the top of the stomach is not developed enough to hold all that milky goodness in, plus the wind sometimes helps bring it up as well. So puking -even spectacularly - is not a problem in itself. Some babies are very sucky and I have found there are occasions where the judicious use of a dummy can help (when you are sure your baby is full as a goog and still wants to suck in order to settle - watch your supply tho and if you think your supply is dropping allow more comfort sucking). There is a link called "Too much milk" behind the "Breastfeeding Information" tab on the ABA website which might help as it discusses oversupply & fast letdown (might help you to determine if this is the problem). If it is, they have a really good booklet with tips to help. HTH xxx

LOL Queenie - Milton & Archi love Rory's play gym too haha. Oh and my neighbour burped Rory last night and when he burped he power chucked all over her top, skirt and he even got the foor too! I almost wet my pants laughing. Then as she went to leave she put her little bub on her shoulder (he is a week older than Rory) and he spewed on her too haha.

Rory is a real kicker so we are going to get him one of those things you can put at the end of the cot and when they kick it lights up and plays music. Does anyone know who makes this toy??
    Last edited by reneenay; November 17th, 2007 at 02:11 PM.

Renee - Fisher Price has a kick and play piano - is that what you mean?

Thats the one!!! Oh and Rory can turn it on for the crowds too haha, he is such a little charmer. He knows when to turn on the magic!
    Do you have family close by that can come around if you ever need a hand when DH is gone?
    Last edited by reneenay; November 17th, 2007 at 02:22 PM.

Nooooooo! Family is a million miles away...why I had such a hard time when DH was away OS and it all went pearshaped. However, I'm used to needing to be self-sufficient so know how to pace myself to get thru (I hope anyway). E is really horribly unsettled today so I hope it's not an indication of what's coming this week!...Must get myself a copy of The Wonder Weeks in case it's one of THOSE weeks LOL!

Typing w/ 1 hand
    Just got back from a bday party. All my friends are in love with little W and he’s so good not crying at all just smiling and cooing. A family friend hold him and introduced him to others as her ‘grandson’ LOL

Noni – I know what u mean by small spaces and havent had much time with the cleaning we don’t have a big place and now dh bro is living w/ us. I don’t know what will happen when his parents came here in dec and they’ll be staying for almost a month!

Hayley – good on u on self settling maddie, I kinda envy u guys …atm the only things that work is rocking, hab, and sometimes a drive in the car … rocker and pram not successful to this point sometimes i feel a bit desperate. I’m not using a dummy though, would that make any difference?

Sherie – it’s also so hot here too, Tuesday forecast 37deg … hope it’ll changed. Do babies actually sleep longer when it’s hot? Hope Alister skin is better now

Jazmum – don’t you find all grandparents spoiled our babies I’d love to play with 27 barbies hehehe … maybe if my next one a girl LOL

Leanne – been looking for a new car as well, just haven’t had the chance. What are you getting? we’re thinking of getting a honda jazz if possible. Hope u’ll enjoy the trip

Md – that’s why I’ve been putting off buying the car thing, with me not working and a brand new baby, life & priorities changed a lot. But dh is moving to another job shortly, we cant cope with just 1 car. Btw with qld apparently there is a fun pass (or called something like that) for 3 parks which is cheaper (movie world, sea world, and water world). Hugs … hope u can manage being on ur own. I am not even sure what I’ll do when dh moved to the new place 2hrs away, atm he’s just working 7mins from home

Queenie, sometimes W did a bit of posseting, but not quite sure when u said ‘massive’ puke. I had a fast letdown where he pulled off and my breast spraying milk like a fountain LOL you might want to try feeding lying down or expressing a bit until the let down passed (thanks MD, I think u gave me some advice before)

Renee, we were given a baby einstein gym where the cute star will flicker and play music when there is a motion from kicking etc He just loves it

Happy weekend everyone
    Last edited by spring_ag; November 17th, 2007 at 08:08 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast