Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born~July 1st-15th 2010 #1

Wow OP, nice short labour! I find it really interesting that they didn't check how dilated you were, and that you didn't get the urge to push! It's the total opposite to my experience!! I'm a bit jealous you got to hold your baby straight away, they took mine away for some reason. I just assumed he'd go straight on my chest!! I was like, "I want to hold my baby, why have you taken him away?" And they told me since there was meconium I had to get the oxytocin injection for the 3rd stage, then the midwife tugged on the umbilical cord and the placenta came out. In my birth plan I also specified that I wanted the cord to be cut when it finished pulsing, but they cut it right away. They wouldn't have known it was in my birth plan of course because there was no time to have it read or do any paper work by the time my midwife let me go to the hospital!!

Oops, sorry about that rant. Your experience sounds awesome, and really I can't complain too much about mine either!! Good work getting it all typed up too!

Should have a shower now since bub still asleep!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend...

Emma - I find it odd that they didn't let you hold T straight away. I even got to hold B for at least a few seconds before they took him away for oxygen.

A friend of mine had a baby with really bad colic and some of the things she was told she could to (that helped some) were to cut dairy out of her diet (apparently it can cause extra wind not too sure why) and give more, but smaller feeds

I hope he gets better for your soon.

OP- How's your DD going? Is she starting to get any better?

to M2A Sal, SB and anyone else.

AFM - I just got a sling for B today. My mum bought it for me at the markets. It's FANTASTIC! I wish I had gotten one 4 weeks ago!

I'm not off to read OP's birth story!

Dr Tal - I got a sling friday, I got a close carrier and I am loving it, I was worried it would be umcomfy with E being a bit heavy and me being small but its is so comfy and its so nice having him close while I go about my day and gives me two free hands to attend to DD. What sling did you get.

Emma - thats another thing you could try I have heard slings are good for colicy babies.

Default Babies born~July 1st-15th 2010 #1

I've borrowed a Baba sling off a friend... Can't quite work it out, DS doesn't seem comfortable in it.

I've got an Ergo too, but he's a bit small for that right now.

Thanks for asking about my DD ladies. She is still sick - still coughing, still runny nose. Poor love. I think DH and I have picked it up now too

It has really stuffed up her sleeping so we are all exhausted... We've been co sleeping a lot, it is the fastest and easiest way to settle X, but I don't sleep as well when he is there... So that sucks.

Emma - thanks for your kind words on my birth story! I feel for you with not getting to hold T after he was born - same thing happened with a friend of mine. Try not to dwell on it too much, I bet you are more than making up for it with cuddles now

Sal - I bought a Hippo vapouriser but we haven't used it yet - been out of home these past two nights so haven't set it up.

Dr T - how's things, how's B??

M2A - that's terrible about the scarlet fever!! Hope you guys are better soon.

No other real update from me. We're off for our four week check on Tues. How fast it has gone!!!

Will be interesting to see how big X is now - we've moved the car seat straps up again and he's too long for his 3x0 (0-3mth) grow suits!! Into the double zeros for us!!!

Hope everyone else is well!!

How funny - I realized this morning that Travis is big enough for the baby bjorn and had him in it when I checked the forum! And there was all this talk about baby carriers. It could be a life saver, I'm thinking. He was not settling after his feed and I tried putting him in it and he was asleep within a couple of minutes. Woohoo! I was thinking it couldn't be used for a few months, because my SIL also gave me this peanut shell thing and I thought I remembered her saying that's what you used to start with. I tried using it a few times in the last couple of weeks, as well as a different sling another friend gave us, but they both made him scream more. I think it's because he has to have his legs squished up to his body in those. He seems to like being able to stretch out, he's not really into being swaddled either! Might be a colicy thing? Fingers crossed he continues to find it comforting...

Sal, Dr T, do you find Evan and Brock like it better (ie sleep more soundly) when you're moving around with them in your slings?

OP - bugger about your DD still being sick and now you and your DH potentially having it too. I hear you about not sleeping as well when you're co-sleeping! Wow, can't believe how big your little X is. I'm thinking that birth weight must be up there in the percentile charts!! Already 00, amazing!! I have a friend who's two babies were pretty darn big when they were born, but she had to have c-sections. You did so well!!

M2A - hope you're on the mend.

to the other mummies, where are you?

Emma - Yes I do find that B sleeps much more soundly in the sling. In fact he's hardly ever awake when he's in it. It was an absolute blessing last night as he was having a bad night, screaming and kicking and just woulnd't settle. I thought, hey, I'll try putting him in the sling, can't make things any worse, and almost as soon as I put him in it he was out like a light

OP - Wow X is in 00already?? B is somewhere between 0000 and 000. They both sort of kind of fit him, but not really IYKWIM. He had his 4 week check up at clinic today and they were really happy with how well he was growing. He's now 4.01kg so he's gained about half a kilo since he was born.

I hope all three of you get better soon, especially your DD so her sleep pattern gets straightened out again and you can all get some decent rest.

B is doing really good. He still only wakes up about once every night or twice on bad nights. I think I am geting a bit spoiled with his sleeping patterns. Also can't remember if I told you last weekend or not but DH took him on his first horse ride for his 3 week anniverasry. It was so cute. He brought my horse up and told him all about B and how he was part of the family now and he had to behave for him like he behaves for me. Then let him sniff B and held B on him first so we could take picture of him 'riding on his own' then got on with him and had a very short walk around. So cute

Sal - My sling is a Cuddles n Cloth. It's made by the same lady that makes the Abby gro diapers I use. She lives in the same town as I did so she was able to give me a hands on demonstration on how to use it and put B in it, which was fantastic because I think I'd have been lost trying to figure it out on my own.

I also have a baby bjorn which I find a bit bulky and cumbersome in the house, but is REALLY good for when we're out with the horses and doing things around the property.

AFU - Like I said earlier B went to clinic today and is now over 4kg. I can't beleive how fast he's growing!

Hi everyone!
    I've just joined BB and thought I'd say hello!
    We welcomed beautiful little Holly on the 3rd July.

Welcome Iandh to BB and our little group and congrats on the birth of Holly, look forward to getting to know you

Hey all!

Welcome iandh!! And gorgeous little Holly! Huge congrats Look forward to getting to know you and hearing more about Holly.

Dr T - great weight gain for little B! Well done on your super boob juice Glad the sling worked for you last night - I'm going to ask my friend who loaned me the one I've got for a demo today at playgroup because I would really love to be hands free and I just can't figure it out yet... DH and I got him in it but DH was worried about all the material over his face so I don't think we had it quite right.

That does sound lovely only waking once or twice at night... having said that, X fed last night at about 9pm, then 1am, then 5am, so that's really only two wake ups - but my problem is that he was awake, feeding, burping or being changed from 1am to 3.30am... so by the time he was back in the cradle, I only got an hour and a half before he was awake again. Partly my fault as he was in bed with us and we just dozed... so I'm thinking it might be time to start feeding NOT in bed. Hmm.

So cute that B had his first horse ride too! Glad your horsey behaved for him!

Emma - that's great the Baby Bjorn seems to be working! Hope it continues!! Maybe T doesn't like the pressure on his tummy, being wrapped? Just a thought. You do whatever works - there are lots of mums that say wrapping doesn't work for them. So much of this being a mum business is about learning to trust your instincts... when you've got a billion people telling you what you should and shouldn't be doing! Fingers crossed he like the Bjorn. Being upright and close to you is probably really helping him too.

Sal - hi, how you going? How are your two going?

AFU: off for our 4 week check, will also get weighed today so will be interesting to see where we fit! Can't believe he's almost 4 weeks already! Seems to be flying past. The main reason we are in 00 is length - I can't get the 000 grow suits done up at the crotch, which could be partly the clothy bum, but he's also too long for the legs - his little feet get all squished up and his toes poke out! So he has definitely had a growth spurt in length... we'll see about weight!

He still takes ages to feed - the actual attachment at breast might only be 10mins or so, then we change nappy and do the other side, which might only be 30-40mins all up... but then he'll want more in another 10-30mins, and sometimes a third go. So the total feed can take like 2hrs before he settles right down into a good sleep. He'll doze in between, but its not deep sleep. I'm hoping as he grows, his tummy will grow and get used to feeding and it won't take so long...

I've got a great supply... I'm leaking heaps, just expressed so I can have a shower without leaking during the shower, I got a full bottle (150mls) in one sitting. So that's pretty good. I'm going to try and build up a stockpile while I've got this abundance - we've got a wedding and a 60th birthday coming up so it'll be good to be prepared!

DD still sick although she hasn't woken up in the night for the past two nights which is awesome. Me and DH still feeling crummy - not sick yet but its there, I can feel it. I'm dosing up on Vit C and echinacea to try and stop it progressing... problem with that is the Vit C is making me a bit blocked up, which is not helping the lovely (TMI warning!!!!) haemorrhoids I seem to have developed! I swear, if its not one thing, its another! At least I seem to have stopped bleeding, finally!

How's everyone else? Hope everyone is well!!

iandh - Welcome! Our little ones share the same birthday. Brock was born on July 3rd as well. I look forward to getting to know you better!

OP - That's a massive amout of milk I think the most I've ever been able to express in one go is about 100ml. I've been trying to express a bit here and there and freeze it so I have a 'just in case' supply.

Hopefully you can get your sling worked out at mother's group. I've been using mine all day again today and it's FANTASTIC! I can have B close to me, but still get things done around the house. I even made cookie dough this afternoon. I'm waiting for DH to get home before I cook any though because I don't want to be handling the hot pans with B.

AFU - I just realised that I haven't seem to have shared any of B's 1sts with you yet Don't know how that slipped my mind because I seem to have shared them with everyone else

He was only 2 weeks the first time he lifted his head on his own and now he lifts it up and holds it up and bobs it around for a good minute at a time. It's so cute. He gets a really concentrating expression on his face and looks so serious.

THEN he smiled for the first time last Wed. SO CUTE! He's got the most adorable little smile. He smiles at me all the time now and has smiled at my mum a couple of times and smiled at dad for the first time last night. Of course DH then paraded around the house like a pea**** for the rest of the night chest all puffed out so proud that his son smiled at him

And the one that really shocked me (though he's not repeated it yet) he rolled over from his belly to his back on Thursday I had him out for some nudie baby time and had him on his belly. He had his head up looking around kicking his legs and the next thing I knew he'd rolled back over onto his back! He's nearly rolled over a few more times, but his pesky arm keeps getting in the way and it really frustrates him. He'll get up on his side, but can't finish the roll because he has his arm in the wrong position and he'll roll back onto his belly. Then his face will turn all red he'll scrunch his eyes all up and let out an almighty scream. It's quite funny...although he doesn't think so

Evening ladies,

Very quiet in here ATM! Everyone must be busy cuddling their little bundles.

Dr T - wow, that's some great firsts from Mr B! X does the same thing when he's lifting his head up, so serious! It must be very hard work for them I suppose! But wow, a smile already? And a roll?? Will be curious to see if he repeats the rolling! I think DD smiled around 7wks so I reckon DS will be similar. But it'll be soon - he's already 4wks!

As for my sling, my friend tried to show me how to use it but she had her DS sleeping on her chest at the time so it was a bit tricky for her. We sort of got X in there but I still feel like he wasn't secure/comfortable. I've borrowed a Hug a Bub off another friend so will try that next and see if its a winner! Soon enough he will be big enough for the Ergo though.

AFU: off to get weighed and measured tomorrow morning. I got the time wrong on Tuesday So we rebooked for tomorrow morning. Feeling very tired today, we had a shocker last night between about 1am and 6am - X alternated between feeding and screaming. It was very un-fun! I didn't know what was going on... it was like he was in pain. This morning I thought maybe it was wind/gas, he'd not had a pooey nappy since 7pm and I reckon he might have been in a bit of pain. He'd stop screaming when he fed so I just kept sticking my BB in his mouth

Poor DH and DD, DH had to get up before 6 for work and DD got woken up by the screaming. Sigh. He finally managed to let out some gas and then had a nice big poosplosion at about 11am... had a big sleep til about 2pm, then more gas, another poosplosion around 5pm and now he is sleeping in the bouncer. Please please please let tonight be a bit better!

Hi girls!
    Thanks for the warm welcome!
    Little Holly is doing wonderfully - she's a great sleeper (I think she gets that from her dad )
    Her big brother Isaac (15 months) is still getting used to her - he's just started to stroke her hair - so cute!
    Anyway, I'll introduce myself - I'm 35 years old. We live in Brisbane and have been married for 2 years. Before having babies we lived in Winton (outback QLD) where i was teaching.
    Hope you are all having a nice, stress-free day!
    Meg

Hi everyone!!

sorry i have been MIA... toddler + newborn = CRAZY TIME!!!!!!!

DD is going great, she has her unsettled moments (usually between 4am and 8am) growing lots!!! And doing some noice poo explosions!!

We celebrated DS's 2nd Birthday - it was a quiet one with my cousin and her DH, loads of pressies!!! We had our first little holiday adventure- we drove up to Nelson Bay (about 6 hours) DD was fantastic- slept in two big blocks with a break inbetween for a big feed!! She also adjusted really well being away from home for two days!!

I am off to enjoy a bit of quiet time while both kids are sleeping!!! Take care everyone!! I am reading posts when i get the chance! Just never manage to post anything!!!

xoxox

SB - Happy Birthday to your DS! I hope he is enjoying playing with all his presents! Sounds like your DD cooperated well for you so that you could enjoy his birthday as much as he did

iandh - B is a really good sleeper as well....maybe it has something to do with the 3rd of July birthday

Brock is my first...we'd been trying for 18 months both of us had fertility issues We live in Townsville, I've been here for 11 years but am originally from the US

OP - I hope you got more sleep last night. Sounds like you had a rough one the night before. Two poosplosions .

Also how did X go at his weigh today (at least I'm pretty sure it was today)

AFU - We're doing really good. B is going to be a model on the cuddles and cloth (abby gro nappy) website (pity there is no proud mumma icon) for her new newborn MCN's!

Mum flies out for home early tomorrow morning, She's been such a help since B was born (she drove me nuts as you all know before he was born but she's been such a blessing since he came). Doing all the laundry, dishes, cooking. I'm a bit worried about how I'll cope with it all once she's not here to help.

Red face

hey ladies, have been MIA again oops will try harder to keep up

Dr.Tal - Aww sounds like you have a real clever little guy with all those firsts and a model already, that's awesome! Go B!

~StarBright~ - Happy Birthday to your DS for the other day hope yous had a great day! I dunno if i've said this before but i LOVE your DS's name (Shane is my dad's name, i would love to use it if i ever have a little man)
    I totally agree with the toddler + newborn = crazy time its been pretty crazy here lol

iandh - and congrats on the birth of Holly

OceanPrincess - Hope you're little family is feeling better, its never fun being sick but its even worse with a newborn in the house

EmmaJane - I didn't get to hold Shay straight away either, as soon as she was out they clamped and cut the cord, (didn't even offer DP to do it) and took her away. I asked if something was wrong they told me there wasn't and she was fine but she wasn't crying i asked over and over again if she was breathing they kept telling me "she's fine, she's fine". Turns out they were all lying she wasn't fine, she had to be resuscitated i only found out cos they gave me a 3 page print out with info of the birth and it has it on there, still don't know why they flat out lied when i asked them... Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant...

AFU - DD1 has turned into a real mother hen its so beautiful but can be a little frustrating too. She's forever trying to "help" with EVERYTHING! Not really much else happening here...

to anyone i've missed, hope you're all well

Jessey - So glad to hear from you again. I can't beleive you heard about Shay's breathing problem in her discharge report That seems pretty slack. I would think that's something that they shoudl tell you straight up!

to everyone else. Hope all your little ones are doing well.

AFU - had B and clinic today and he'd gained 300g! so he now weighs 4.31 kilos. He's now gained about 800g since he was born.

Hi mummies!

Dr T - wooo great weight gain!! Good booby juice you've got there How are you coping without your mum? Must have been sad fare welling her. When will you guys see her again? I couldn't imagine living so far from my mum, it must be tough, even if she does annoy you sometimes! Just take it one day at a time, you'll find your groove. If there are days that some washing sits on the floor instead of being put through, so be it. As long as you are all happy and healthy, that is the important thing!

What a little star you've got on your hands! Send us a link or something when the pics are up of your little model baby

Jessey - nice to hear from you! That is terrible about Shay - why would they lie? So strange. Are you going to follow up with the hospital or just let it go? That's lovely about DD1. I'm hoping my DD will turn into a mother hen type - but I think I'm dreaming!

SB - glad DS had a nice birthday! And your family holiday sounds lovely - great that DD behaved on the car trip and that she adjusted well! I know what you mean about crazy!!! Oh and I'm the same - reading the posts but not posting often! Or as often as I'd like anyway. We all understand!

Meg - nice to know a bit more about you! So cute about little Isaac - my DD, who is only 17mths, does the hair stroking thing too. Very sweet. Glad Holly is sleeping well for you!! My DH is an awesome sleeper too but it hasn't quite translated into our kids... yet...

Hope everyone else is well!!!

AFU: Little X is doing well! Not so little - he's up to 5.35kg, so he has put on 500g in two weeks. I think that is good, but not massive. But that's ok - he's already busting out of some of his 3x0 stuff, into 2x0 bodysuits already! So I'm happy for his weight gain to be average!! He's also 59.5cm now, so that's 3.5cm in four weeks. Not bad! Such a long boy... which is why we're into 2x0 bodysuits, just for the length really!

He's still up and down a bit with sleep overnight... I don't know if its because its so cold but he rarely settles in his cradle overnight, even if I put a heat pack in before he goes in. He's spending a lot of time in our bed. I'm hoping that in a few weeks the weather will start to warm up and we'll be able to get him into his cot - he's soon going to be too long for the cradle. I don't mind having him in our bed too much, I just sleep better when he is not there! I got a bit frustrated this morning at about 2am - he'd been in bed with us, feeding/dozing, for about 2hrs and I was sure that he'd was soundly asleep enough that I could slip him into the cradle and get maybe 2hrs sleep before he needed another feed... 30mins later he was awake and crying for another feed

I sat up and said "All I want is an hour or two of decent sleep in my own bed by myself!!!" before getting him and bringing him back into bed with me. Sigh!!! We'll get there!!

Glad to see some others agreeing with me about it being odd that the middies and paed didn't tell me the truth about what was happening. DP just reckons "they didn't want to worry you" well i was worried and i was begining to think it was REALLY bad cos she was "fine" but i couldn't hear, see or hold her! DP thinks i'm making a big deal out of nothing and should let it go, she's fine now. I guess he's right...

OceanPrincess - i hear you on the not being able to sleep properly with bub in bed, you never get into that deep sleep you just doze and wake up at every slight sound grrr lol but i don't mind the snuggles

AFU - got Shay's 4week check up on wednesday (can't wait to see how much she's grown) then getting her hands and feet done friday and that's about it

everyone else

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast