Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Newborn - 1 Month, April '05

Well done on your outing Deb & your first public BF, must've been a bit daunting! Sounds like the cafe you went to is great for mums. We haven't done it, just me & Zander yet cos Aaron is still on holidays - he goes back on Monday.

Well, after speaking to the Dr again Zander is now on prescription medication for his reflux. Poor little guy seems to be having problems breathing now too - he's very wheezy which can happen if the refluxed stuff gets into their lungs. He had a bottle at 12.30 with his new medicine & went down straight away, woke up 2hrs later & it took me 1/2 an hour to get him settled again, so he's now been asleep for an hour this time.

I'm super tired, but just can't sleep this afternoon, but am going to try and nap once I finish posting this. Last night was a bad one - got him to bed at 1am after an 11pm bottle, awake at 3am then finally asleep again at 5.30am only to wake up at 7.30am. Aah well, I'll get used to the lack of sleep soon enough!

I promise Sarah it will get better!!! I remember clearly, and actually I was reading some posts from when Matilda was a few months old and all I ever posted about was how tired I was and how much screaming I had to endure... and then yesterdays post was how much Matilda's sleeping atm...so it does get better. I hope the meds help! I found it would work wonders at first then taper off and finally stabilise, so it would take a few days with the medications finding out what works & doesn't O Matilda would get wheezy with every bottle for a few months and it didn't progress so hopefully Zander's won't either! I have everything crossed for that one!

Debbie Lee Guest

Oh gosh, Sarah! That sounds aweful! Poor little Zander. I hope the meds start working 4 him very soon and you can get some sleep.

How the newborn thread picked up since the 2 BellyBelly chatterboxes had their bubbas!!!!

Debbie, congrats on the 1st public BF - Aidan is almost 4 months and I still havent dont it (although I only breastfeed him twice a day now - morning and night, with formula in the middle, so it is convenient that I am almost always home at these times - or have to be!).

Sarah, its soooo true, it does get better. I remember thinking 'this is sooooo much harder than anyone told me', but now i think 'this is so much easier, and soooo rewarding'. I think its funny that you prepare yourself for 3 hourly feed, but no one tells you it actually takes bubs an hour, sometimes more, to feed!! You are doing wonderfully!

Aidan is fat, well, I think he is well on his way! At his 3 month check he was 7kg's and I just weighed him then and I think he is atleast 8kg's - which is well into the above average range and not even 4 months yet!

Oopsie, just realised I probably should keep this in the proper forum.

Jess

Wow Jess!! Emily is nearly 18 months old and I am not even sure she weighs 10kg!! She's areal skinny ribs tho.

Sarah, I hope Zander's med help him... poor little fella!

Congrats on your 1st public BF too Deb. It's so handy too be able to feed where ever, when ever!

Tanya

Congrats Deb on your first public feed - thats wonderful stuff!! I think we may have to visit that Pako cafe.... I'm trying to think of which one it is!! There are so many lovely ones along there.
    Sarah - I'm sorry that things are taking so long so get "on the up". I'm sure you know how precious your little bundle is, and it will all be worth it in time. A little tip - I dont think anyone gets used to lack of sleep!!! From my uni days I remember it just compounding until I had a nervoud breakdown! So please - try to get some rest, even if you are just closing your eyes and taking 10 mins out, every little bit will help.
    Here's hoping zander's meds start working wonders for him really soon.
    Fi

Deb, congratz on your frist public BF, well done!

Sarah, I hope poor Zander's meds start working soon. The poor little guy. And as everyone has said, it does get better. For us it was on day 4, but i am sure in just a few months(it goes really fast, trust me) you will be thinking the opposite.

Trish, I hope it isn't mastitis you've got. Must be painful! Hope it clears soon.

Debbie Lee Guest

Thanks 4 all the congrats about the first public BF. I am glad I am over the hurdle of actually doing it because it was something that I was really worried about. Now that I know that i can do it relatively descreetly (and it helped that we were sitting on a couch), I am not so worried about it. So long as I have a couple of bunny rugs with me at all times, Gabby and I can pretty much go anywhere!

Fi - the cafe' is called "Winter's Cafe'" and it is just up from Little Ducks. I think it is on the same block as the Cremourne?? It has a red sign and there is a function room upstairs. We will definitely have to frequent it once your little Spuddy makes an appearance Do you think you will be able to get to the ANC reunion? Maybe they should have made it in May!

Jess - Wow! Aidan sounds like he is a big boy but it's pretty typical of boys to be big, isn't it? Don't worry about telling us your news. What's that "proper forum" bizzo anyway?? We still like to hear about how you are going (cos goodness knows I don't have time to venture into the other forums of late!). So fire away!!

Yesterday afternoon once we got back from our outing, missy-moo really didn't want to sleep. I could only get her to go down for 10-20 minutes. I think she was windy again. Mum said that she probably was just reacting to being out in the big wide world and that she would get used to it in time.
    Neil went to the pub for a free whiskey tasting thing so I was on my own to give her a bath - and I think we did a damn good job without Daddy!! I gave her a bottle at about 9:45pm but she didn't drink it all because she had been on the boob so much during the day I think. Still, she zonked it and slept for... get this.... 8 hours!!! OMG! 8-[ She must have been buggered. My boobs were leaking like crazy by then so I am glad she woke when she did (I can handle 6am!!). So we are going to try giving her the bottle at the same time every night. In saying that, sometimes I am at my wit's end by 8pm so it may be a little difficult to not give in to the temptation!

WOW Deb that must have been great, I hear you on the sore BB's afterwards though...

Wow Deb that sounds great

I'm trying to get some more sleep Fi, it's just hard - will be even harder once Aaron goes back to work on Monday. YIKES, I am so not ready for that.

Hey Jess, good to hear from you. Wow at Aidan being 8kg, he's a big strong boy by the sounds of it

Gosh I feel like I'm always complaining, but please remind me girls if I say it can't get worse that YES IT CAN!! We got to bed at 1am, then up from 1.55-2.25, up again from 3.30-5.45 then up with daddy at about 7.00. Aaaand we have started with the projectile vominting again! We had a nice one at Granny's (MIL) last night and then one this morning.

I just have to keep telling myself - he will get better, he will get better....

Yep I agree Sarah! God I remember those first few months, seems Zander & Paris have a very similar temprement indeed. I forgot you guys had a swing...did I tell you that was our saviour? We used to let Paris nap in it all the time so if he sleeps well in it I wouldn't be worrying too much LOL! And you know what Good on you for telling it like it is! I watched Desperate Housewives the other night (don't know if you are a fan) and it was all about saying it like it is. Those sleepless nights, the days where all you can do is cry etc etc I know I found it hard to relate to people when I first had paris because nearly everyone just went on about how good their bubbas were LOL! Makes you kind of feel like you have a problem after a while. But then I thought stuff it and told it exactly how it was and guess what nearly everyone I knew who had perfect bubbas knew EXACTLY what I meant :roll: Anyway sorry to hijack your thread babe, I just watch you and think gosh I wish I had learnt to have the strength so early on.

And Deb GOOD ON YA! I couldn't do the BF in public thing, I only ever went to rooms how bad is that??? And by the time I was getting comfortable with it all she went off the boob!

Anyway....sorry guys for butting in

*smooch*
    Cailin

Thanks Cailin, it is good to know that I'm not the only one having a tough time. It's hard when it seems like all the other babies in the world are sleeping, eating & settling easily. Yup you have told me that the swing was your saviour - it's becoming that way for us as well!! Some days I feel like I'm going to fall apart & feel like I'm not strong AT ALL, but other days are great even when he's crying!!

Colleen, glad to hear things are getting a bit better for you and James. I hope it continues that way.

Debbie Lee Guest

Cailin - I don't blame you for never feeling comfortable about BFing in public. It's not exactly a comfortable experience and it doesn't help that it still feels like you are doing something that makes others uneasy. It shouldn't be that way - but it is. I remember seeing posters all over the hospital about how your right to breastfeed in public can be protected. All I could think about was; "What if I had to stand up for my rights one day?" It's almost like you know that someone is going to try and make you feel guilty for doing something so completely natural. God help that person if they ever say anything to me. They will cop an earful!!

Sarah - I wish I could pass on some of Gabby's sleepy-byes to Zander. She's not so hot at it during the day but it's ok because I get a decent night's sleep. I don't blame you for worrying about when Aaron goes back to work. It sounds like he has been a fantastic support. Still, in a way, at least you and Zander will be able to establish your own little routine. Sometimes too many cooks spoil the broth, so to speak? Maybe Zander will like having Mummy to himself.

Urrgh... she just woke up again. 10 minutes ain't a nap darlin'!!

Am I the only one here who doesn't care about getting here boobies out in public Maybe the fact that I am up to #4 baby that has been bf makes it abit different, or is it that I only have little boobs that and I don't have too much problem being discreet...When I was pg with Noah Mark was quite funny about the idea of me bfing and even worse doing it in public til I told him that I refused to have to go and sit in a toilet to feed my baby, if my babies are hungry I feed them no matter where I am.

Yesterday in the shopping centre Tehya wanted a feed so I went and sat down at the donut shop and fed her while having a drink - oh and a donut or 2. Anyway this old lady was walking past and looking so I just send "feed time for both of us" that was all she needed and she pulled up a chair and sat down and talked to me for over 30mins. Tehya had well and ttruely finished and I was ready to go but she wasn't finished chatting.
    I hope that I made her happy by talking to her, she was obviously lonely, poor old chook.

Better go, I have to go pick Noah up. I will be back soon to finish this post.

Take care
    Trish

Awww aren't you sweet chatting to little old ladies?!

Just realised Tehya is 1 month old today!! Far out time flies hey?

I hope you're right Deb & Zander settles down when it's just the two of us. I can imagine Aaron getting home & me handing Zander over saying "I can't take it anymore!!!!"

Sarah- DH & I had an agreement over the first few months back at work and that was when he walked in the front door, he was daddy. So, sometimes he would stop on his way home for a few minutes and have a breather and then when he walked in the door he took over, fed, bathed and cared for Matilda until bed time... and I had a break. It was the only way for a while. Sometimes he'd come in the door both Matilda & I on the floor crying our eyes out... poor guy... but since she's been 6 months we've changed things... just getting to that point was awful.

Sarah, I've often handed Yasin to DH the second he walks through the door and demaned that he take over until I get my head straight. He generally doesn't mind because he misses his baby while he's at work.

Debbie Lee Guest

Trish - I don't mind getting my boobs out in public - it's all the other stuff that's exposed in the process. My road-map tummy ain't exactly something that people need to see! I have a few button-up shirts but, honestly, who can be stuffed ironing at this stage of the game?? LOL
    Good on you for chatting to that lady too. Gotta love how we women can multi-task, hey? You can feed a baby, feed yourself AND have a conversation all at once!

Sarah - sounds like Christy's idea might be the go to save you from going insane. Neil and I had a similar agreement but that has gone out the window. When Gabby is fussy, she usually wants booby and I am the only person that can give her that. I have been thinking about letting Neil do her night time formula bottle but I want to make sure he doesn't let her scoff it. Hard to hand over the reins sometimes.

I finally got Gabby down for a nap at 12pm when my 2 youngest sisters arrived. Of course, they both wanted to see her so they were far from quiet. She woke up after only a couple of hours because of the noise and the fact that Hanna kept going in to look at her. Urrgh! It's alright for them - they can have a play then leave! So I finally got her down again at 4:15 and I am hoping she stays down for a good few hours. I am not getting her up for anything!!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast