Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Caesarean Chatter - May 2005

oh wow I just realised how amazing my midwives were... I wrote a letter saying so to QLD health because they were just fantastic, I just never sent it 8-[ . After 20 or so hours of labour than an emergency c/s and hearing some of your stories, I was so blessed to have the team I had. They helped me roll over, they moved Matilda around for me, put her on my boob when I was overwhelmed with everything, just sat & chatted when I was anxious... everything, and were just great. I guess when I realise how amazing they were I get a bit teary thinking of how horrible it would have been to have nazi's looking after you!! I had one midwife I thought was going to be that way inclined, but after Matilda was born she came in and visited on her day off and said that she was proud of me for going as long as I did and my determination really showed through, and she was a midwife for 20 years...

I think I'll go and send that letter next week....

Debbie Lee Guest

Wow! My midwives were pretty good too. In fact, I was the one hounding them to get the catheter out so that I could move around the next morning. I had my c-section at 5pm and didn't have to get up and moving until the next morning.
    The only thing that annoyed me was that i said I was really thirsty. They said I could have some ice chips but didn't bring them in! Grrr! Needless to say, I gulped the water down once I was allowed to have it when the drip was out.

Do send that letter, Christy. I can see where the good midwives are undervalued incredibly and probably turn into nasty pasties after a while because they are so over worked and don't feel appreciated.

Tootie - I can't believe that they didn't give you a decent bed to lay in! You would think that they would keep the maintenance up esp. for people who have just had major surgery!

MummyLovesJaykob - OMG @ them calling you lazy! As IF you wouldn't want to get up and move around as soon as you could! Honestly, it amazes me how some forget to treat you like a human being instead of just another number. Just because one person is up and at em straight away, doesn't mean the next will too! As for fainting, that would have been aweful! I bet getting up was horrid!

Gabby was taken to special care for the first night, too. I was still bed-ridden and didn't see her until Neil came in the next day. He wheeled me in a wheel-chair because the special care unit is downstairs from the actual ward at Geelong. I probably should have got to Gabby a lot earlier but I didn't want Neil to miss out iykwim? And the only reason why she was taken there was because there wasn't enough staff up on the ward to attend to her needs. Silly, hey? If I hadn't had the c-section, I could have had her with me and brought her down to special care every few hours when she needed to be checked. Catch 22!

Melinda Guest

Deb - get this, they finally got me a new bed, and it was a normal double bed so that DH could stay with me if he wanted to (it was already in the room). Thing was, it was so incredibly painful getting in and out of bed at that level, that I actually asked that I get a single bed back and the double bed be moved across the other side of the room where it had originally been, so that DH could still stay. The b*tch of a midwife told me that she would show me how to get in and out of bed so that it didn't hurt me, but having a bad back, I knew the correct way to get in and out of bed and was 99% certain I was doing it the best way possible. Well, what do you know, the midwife showed me, and of course, it was the way I'd already been doing it. When I told her this and said it was just too painful, and again requested another bed, she said this to me "You'll just have to bite your lip and do it". ARGH!!!

I have a confession to make too, which I have to say to this day I am incredibly embarrassed about. I don't know where Jacob was on his first night.....whether he was with me, or in the nursery. I was so out of it from days without sleep, and full of pain relief medication and in such a horrible emotional state that I just can't remember..........I feel so awful that I don't know. DH wasn't in the hospital with me that night either, so he also doesn't know.

I really should come in and share my stories but I am so flat out at the moment trying to just get through each day!!! Asha is teething and fingers crossed tonight she will sleep better (but I won't hold my breath).

A quick run down on it all ... I had an emergency c-section with Jack after 13 1/3 hours labour (epidural which they allowed to wear off so I could push effectively ... thats a whole other story!). I had an elective c-section with Asha because they thought she would be the same size as Jack if not bigger (shouldn't have listened to them!!).

Anyway have things to do for work tomorrow so will come back and fill in all the gory details later

Cheers

Hi - I had an emergency CS with Caitlin and have been offered the choice of having an elective one this time ! I've got a fair while to think about it, but I am leaning towards having it to avoid all the possible drama of having another emergency one, just for peace of mind. I don't tell many people this as the response I've had has been far from positive.

I was fine after the first one, out of bed 10 hours later as caitlin was in the special care nursery for a day with breathing problems. I must have been a sight ! Walking down the hall with the drip on one pole and a drainage thingie in my pocket.

I also had two crabby midwives who tried to take over and do things that I wanted to.

Also - when does the first bath happen ? Caitlin was born on a monday and I'm sure i didnt bathe her until thursday ??

Cheers,
    Barb.

Barb, Zander was born on Sunday 1.30am & didn't get his bath until the Wednesday.

Geez Toots it sounds like you had some shocking midwifes as well. You'd think after all the stuff you went through they'd be a bit nicer. As for where Jacob was the first night, I'm not 100% sure where Zander was either. I think he was with the midwives - they kept the bubs with them behind the desk, not in an actual nursery - but am not totally sure.

Christy I think you should send the letter too. In our maternity ward there were forms for Midwife Of The Year, I've filled one out for the midwife I had in delivery. She was great - was with me from 7am-7pm (her shift finished at 3pm) and the came to visit us the next two days.

So who else had their hubby/partner with them? I know Dee's Mark was allowed to stay & by the sounds Tootie's hubby was there... Aaron was only allowed to be there in normal visiting hours. The night before we left I had the baby blues pretty bad & Zander was screaming so he asked to stay a bit longer & they wouldn't let him - it's not like he wouldv'e bothered anyone, I had a single room.

Melinda Guest

Yeah my DH was there for a few nights, the rest of the time he was at home looking after our furry friends!!

I had a single room too and Dad's weren't supposed to spend the night, but they were allowed to stay as long as they wanted too... so DH left one night at 11pm and they were allowed back in at 6.30am... I told DH to sleep in and come in later in the mornings like around 11am and then stay until late. It was good for him & the dogs too He would walk the dogs in the morning & mum would go home around 5.30pm and feed them at night so we would have quiet time in the evenings together.

Debbie Lee Guest

Barb - Gabby had her first bath the day after she was born and I was expected to bathe her every day (I guess for practice). I think sometimes it depends on the bub's temp. If your little one was in special care, it may not have been possible to bathe her for a few days.
    Gab was in special care for the first day and a half but, yeah, she was ok to have a bath the day after. Neil gave her the first bath as per my family tradition. My Dad bathed all of us for the first time. It was soooo cute to watch and he did a brilliant job!

Melinda Guest

Jacob wasn't bathed for a few days either. I can't really remember why, but I do recall a midwife saying that babies find comfort in being able to still smell the amniotic fluid on their skin.

They had us wait as well for 2 days :-k we didn't even ask why LOL

I don't even know when Alexander had his first bath.

Barb - The midwives bathed Matthew when they took him and DH off to the special care nursery, they bathed him, dressed him gave him his Vit K and Hip B injections all without me being present or informed on what they were doing with him, luckily Mark was with him all the time. The next day, the midwife came in and took over and bathed him, after that I was transferred to my post natal care hospital (thankgoodness) at this hospital midwives were lovely but Mark did the baths as they didn`t want me to stand over the bath and hurt my stitches.

I finally bathed Matthew at home for the first time, he was 12 days old. I didn`t mind Mark bathing him, it was lovely to watch and see them both bond but I was not impressed that they took him away from me so soon after birth to get him washed and dressed.

Take Care

Deeanne

Debbie Lee Guest

It's hard, isn't it Dee? You go through the motions, esp. with a c-section because, let's face it, they are the experts. It's hard to really convey what you want when there is so much going on. It's not until you look back and think "Hang on a minute!" that you realise how much they have just taken over.
    I will certainly be throwing my weight around a little more with the next one. Skin on skin ASAP, and no taking her away from me. The only reason why Gabby needed to be in special care was because there wasn't enough staff on the ward to attend to her. That's not good enough imo!!

It is hard isn`t it Deb, your exactly right it`s not until a c/s happens and later you think I should have told them this,this and this. But I didn`t even think that far ahead, next time will be different and we will not be delivering at that hospital again and I`ll tell them I want skin to skin contact asap not 3 hours after birth.

That`s terrible that there wasn`t enough staff to attend to Gabby.

Debbie Lee Guest

Yeah... it was a pain, Dee. Her blood sugar levels were low so they had to be monitored every few hours (which meant she got quite a few foot *****s while we were there).
    The worst part is, apparently not all babies get tested. Her blood sugar was tested because of the c-section. If all babies were tested, then they would be finding a lot more with low blood sugar (that obviously takes care of itself most of the time!!).
    Because I couldn't get up to take her down to special care and there weren't enough midwives upstairs, she had to be away from me. She was fed intoveneously (sp?) through a tube rather than put on the boob which also contributed to my rough start with BFing.

Zander was taken away straight away before I even go to hold him too. I have no idea what they did with him, so I'm really glad that I told Aaron he was to stay with him & not me.

It's not fair that we aren't given the same options that women who deliver vaginally are - it's just normal practice for bub to be handed to mum for a cuddle / feed / whatever isn't it?

Debbie Lee Guest

I think so, Sarah.
    I dunno... maybe babies have to be checked after the c-section for shock or something?
    I know I had meconium in my waters so that might be why Gabby was checked... dunno.. I guess I should have asked...
    I didn't think of all these questions at the time! LOL I wonder why?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234