Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Exercise routines, tips and chatter?

paradise lost Guest

Nads - maybe if i also napped at naptime i wouldn't type such nonsensical posts

Bx

Awwww ... I give you permission to go and take that nap now

Thanks, ladies ^_^

I ran today as well but I think I burnt myself out yesterday so I didn't go as far. BUT that's to be expected, people told me that would happen (that if you push your limits one day, it'll be harder the next day). So tomorrow I'm going to take a rest day and do yoga instead. My plan (i don't remember if i posted this?) is to have 4 days of running, 1 day of walking and 2 days of rest (but I think yoga counts as rest). I don't think my body could do more than 2 days of running in a row at this point in time. As dissapointed as I was in myself for not getting as far today as yesterday, it's still good for weight loss.

RachelM - how much is that in calories? TBH I don't really know KJs! I've got a dress I bought a few years ago but hardly ever wore that i'm going to wear to my daughters and mums birthday party (they have the same b'day). SO excited! I can't wait to go on a shopping spree and buy lots of lovely new things, too

Hoobley - I found something similar to the couch to 5km on the net by accident, in fact, it might have been the same. I'm trying to implement that now though i'm not timing myself too strictly and things. I probably should but, to give my runs more structure rather than just stopping and starting all over the shop.

paradise lost Guest

Socks i'd focus on having fun with the running - you will naturally gain fitness and be able to run longer if you keep going, even if it's "all over the shop" style at first I thought (?) from a previous post you were running on a track, so that gives a lot of structure anyway, kwim?

I've been running more than 2 years and i STILL don't run more than 2 days in a row. The more you exercise the more value your rest days have. It's a really important element of fitness, rest.

Bx

Hoobley, What I was doing was running on the grass to the football oval and then running around the football oval. I've decided now to walk to the football oval and just run around it so I know exactly how far I've gone. Once I can run further, I'll start running to actually transport myself lol!

I ran 400m non-stop again today ^_^ I really needed the rest day! After that, I alternated running 200m and walking 200m until i'd run 1km, so im tres proud.

Is it true that running actually takes you above the right heart rate zone to burn fat? :-\

Socks - 1 Cal = 4.17KJ.

Ok, i'm going to advise you based on what I have learnt up to and during this weekend. Please don't take any of it as fact, I am still learning and very inexperienced!

With your heart rate, your heart rate training zone or aeorobic conditioning zone should be between 60 and 80% of your maximal heart rate (MHR) or 40-50% if you are a beginner. It's quite difficult to work out your MHR so the best way to do it is to look at a scale of 1-10 (10 being the hardest) if you would rate the activity as a 5 then your PROBABLY working at about 50% of your MHR.

What your body uses to make energy depends on the energy system your body is useing at the time. There are 3 the Anaerobic system (made up of 2 systems) and the aerobic system. Very briefly, the anaerobic system is used for intense, very fast exercises like sprinting or low rep high weight resistance training as it very quickly runs out. It can usually last up about 3 mins. Then your body switches to the aeorobic system which utilises Oxygen (which has no limit) the aeorobic system will burn fat then carbs.

So with distance running you want to improve your aorobic capacity which you can also do by endurance or strength resistance training (you are then using your slow twitch muscle fibres which are the ones activated during endurance activities) so medium weight high reps.

I hope this helps, as I said I don't fully understand it yet so the explainations might not be spot on but the basic principles are right!

paradise lost Guest

Socks, Rachel has good info - i'm much more of a lay runner (lay person who runs, not a person who runs laying down or leylines ) but as i understand it:

L&S (long and slow) running keeps you in the fat burning zone best as Rachel said above - it allows your body to utilise fat stores by not forcing it to make the total switch to oxygen/glycogen. Fast walking (where you are out of breath) also has this effect.

HIIT (high intensity interval training) which is where you interval train with a high intensity bit and a recovery bit (comparable to you run/walking your 1km, or me doing hill sprints) has the effect of OVERALL speeding up your metabolism because it places sudden anaerobic demand on your body.

Every time you use up the immediate glycogen stores from anaerobic exercise your body has to replace them - if your body is doing that while you are still exercising, it "costs" even more because you're using oxygen and fat to keep moving while your body is replacing the used up stores.

BUT - speed work can be dangerous without a good "base" which means being able to run a long way before introducing much speed work. THere are different kinds of speed work too.

Tempo runs - these are where say you aim to run 5km one night, and your usual speed is 7mins/1km, in a tempo run you would run 1km at 7.5mins/km, 3km at 5 or 6min/km and then 1km at 7.5mins/km. In this way you run a shorter distance at a faster pace, which improves your ability to race. If you don't have the ability to run roughly twice as far as the tempo section (so 6km in my example here) you risk injury.

HIIT - this is what i use because i am prone to injury. I run a long slow run (11min/miles) but i plug in a few sections of hill sprinting which leave me gasping/shaky-limbed which increases my calorie burn and anaerobic abilities overall without demanding long periods of speed on my joints.

The most important thing to remember with runningor indeed any exercise, is that the calorie burn, whether from fat or from stored glycogen/carbohydrate, is EQUALLY good - if you burn 400 cals from your fat stores and don't replace it with food then your body with use that fat up, but if you use 400 from glycogen you body has to REPLACE that glycogen, and will do so using your fat. So don't worry too much about it all, just focus on having fun. If you use nike map-it you can plot your route from your house to the football oval and know EXACTLY how far you've run, whatever route you take FWIW i find it REALLY hard mentally to run track/football grounds/any enclosed circuit. It's like treadmilling - so boring! I love to plan routes on map-it and know i can go out and run 10k and not see anything twice

Rachel, i used your triceps tip of leaning back and not stopping last night. I skipped ONE single dip (when we had 4 to go i only did 3, and then the slow one to finish) but i had 9kg on my bar again and i completed the track THANKS!!!

Bx

Thanks, Rach and Hoobley, that's a great help!

What I'm aiming for with my running is aerobic activity but to be honest, it wears me out so quickly it's probably more of an anaerobic activity for me!

I've found that after a rest day, I can run 400m without stopping then at least 200m running with a 200m break (eventually equalling 1km of running). But the day after, I can hardly do anything! So i'm going to try rotating one day of walking and one day of running. I know it's not much running but SIGH, I just completely bomb out the next day and can hardly do anything! AND I've hit a weight loss plateau

paradise lost Guest

Weightloss plateau - do you do any resistance work? Medium-weight/high rep weight work (like the famous Bodypump we keep going on about ) is FANTASTIC for giving your metabolism a kick up the booty, AND it will help with the running because the stronger your muscles get, the more energy they can store, and the farther you can run (i ran for a year without bodypump and a year with and i am shaving MINUTES off my race times). Maybe you can pick up a class at a local gym?

Bx

I second starting Body Pump. It's fantastic for increasing your indurance. You'll probably find strength increases at first as well. Do you have a gym near you?

And Socks, there is nothing wrong with a rest day, infact you shouldn't do two hard training sessions in a row. Listen to your body, if it is telling you to rest then rest. It's better to do a great workout every other day then to do a half arsed one every day

I wanted a gym membership but it's impossible for me right now for numerous reasons. I was considering buying adjustable dumbells instead?

I'm back.... after soooo long away from this thread I'm back on. So what's happened - I went overseas, came back to my horrible job and was depressed about it, now we've found out we need ISCI/IVF to concieve! Though things have been patchy with gym attendance I've been around 2 times per week... but things are getting back to normal. I'm becoming more routine with this things and I'm hoping to keep up with this rountine:
    Mon: Step
    Tues: Pump AM and Pilates PM
    Wed: Rest
    Thurs: Core
    Friday: Pump
    Sat or Sun: pump and a walk on the other day...

I've got my pump weight up to 12.5kg plus the bar which I'm really happy with. I'm hovering around 15kg plus bar for the back track but can only manage this if the track isn't too fast... Next aim - triceps up to 10kg as it's currently at 7.5kg.

Baby socks - I obviously love my gym membership but if that's not an option then there are resitance/muscle exercises you can do with your own bodyweight or with adjustable dumbells... Just be careful not to hurt yourself! Could you possibly get a Personal trainer for 1 session to teach you a range of exercises or go to some class to learn first?

Probably not, but don't worry! I've been receiving some helpful advice ^_^ I just hope I don't gain weight while using the dumbells!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth08 View Post
    I've got my pump weight up to 12.5kg plus the bar which I'm really happy with. I'm hovering around 15kg plus bar for the back track but can only manage this if the track isn't too fast... Next aim - triceps up to 10kg as it's currently at 7.5kg.
    12.5 is that for the warm up? Far out that's huge!

I bet if you make the jump from 7.5 to 10 in the tri's you won't even notice it. Triceps are a much stronger muscle than biceps so just go and do it at your next class

Today for the first time in a looong time I am feeling so sore, esp in my triceps. I had my first PT session with my new trainer yesterday and OMG!!! It was probably the hardest I have ever worked in my life. At one point I was holding 5kg dumbells up in each hand with a 90degree bend in my elbows, squating and then pushing them straight up in the air as I cam up to standing, towards the end of the last set my arm was falling straight down again, I had no control and there was no way I could keep it up in the air! It was so strange, not being in control of my arm! Goes to show how much you compensate for a weaker arm/leg when you are using a bar in Pump.

We also did hovers with my feet on a medicine ball - that was hard!

I got so much out of it, not just as a workout but learning how to build a rapport with the client and how to show them the exercises. It was really great

Hope everyone is well and working hard!

BTW I got myself a new Lorna Jane slogan singlet (love the slogan singlets!) and it says "Luck has nothing to do with it" I love it!!

Where is everbody??

Slouched on the couch

I'm finding it harder to get up off the floor But that is to be expected .... right???

Give me till Feb 2009 and I'll be chatting up a storm in here

Nadine - I found it really hard to exercise with #2. You don't have the energy and my god you have a toddler charging around your feet!

Feb 09 - it's a date! I should have finished all my assignments and be registered by then Although i'm starting to seriously doubt I have the sadistic streak needed to be a personal trainer after this mornings PT session!

ETA: Just realised your bub is due on Boxing Day!

And where is everybody else???

I'm up for that date, Rachel ... and picking your brain

ETA on your ETA ... my bub is due on my birthday!!! How lucky am I

Goodluck with all your assignments, and I think every dedicated gym-junky is part sadist, especially if you train like I did at 5am in the morning!! (that was BEFORE KIDS!!!!)

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast