Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cars...

I'm so excited just found out that Chrysler is releasing its first SUV in the states next year, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they release it here soon after that. I love my Chrysler Grand Voyager but have always wanted an SUV, now it looks likely to happen, yippee. I don't care what they cost, we'll lease one through hubbies work. I want one, they are so great.

We just brought a 2006 Landcruiser Sahara last week for our growing family of 2 DSS`s, 1 DS and another DS due in 13 days time.

Our first option was Ford Territory but it was too small for my DSS`s long legs - they are 12 and 13 so have to think of their comfort, so went from there looking at the Toyota Prado - same problem so looked at the Landcruiser and it was roomier.

They all have the same problem though - no luggage room, guess we`ll get use to squashing things in.

I had a look at a Kia today. Its off my list! It has to be the smallest "larger" car I have seen. There is no way I would fit my pram in the tiny space behind the last row of seats, even with them as far forward as they would go. Plus I would need to use those back seats as well. Most impractical looking thing ever!
    I did look at a Ford Falcon Wagon & it was very nice. I would be surprised if that isn't what we end up getting. I also looked at the MPV & if I can find a used one in our price range it is also in with a very good chance. But frmo what I am seeing I won't find one in our budget

Isn't it funny how we all like different things?? i have had my kia carnival for nearly 3 years and am so in love with it... I have 4 boys from 12 to3 and have fitted everything i have ever needed..the boot is small but have fitted a double pram in it, and then also my single easily..all seats are used everyday,shopping is done during school hours and it all fits in boot,or if not use the floor space!! We have had it to queensland and back quite a few times,and the last time we bought a pod for the roof and i just love it!! two sliding doors,kids walk to the back..lmao..see the difference of opinion..lol but i think whatever makes you and your family happy..go for it!! see my kids are getting to old for a wagon with d***ie seats, and i always had a phobia of a rear end collision and the kids being squashed...pmsl(not at the kids,at my stupid mind!!)

jan xx

I agree with Penty ( sorry Fionajill) I loooove the fact the girls walk through to the back seat ( without having to climb over any seats ) they are tall, and a ****ie seat gave them nooooo leg room. I keep a double pusher in behind the seats and all the groceries for a family of 6. but we all have to do what works for us hey.....

Just popping in to say i have a Kia Carnival also and i love it. I can get my double jogger in to the back with the seats up and also put things around it. I like the fact also that Kimberley and an adult can get through the gap as i sat in the back when my dad and step mum was here. When this bubs is born i am thinking of putting Kimberley and Alex into the back and having one of the other seats down so i can get to them easy.

My problem is that I don't have School hours yet, lol. I might take DH to look at it again as we are heading back out to Penrith tomorrow.
    My problem with it is that there is so little space. I was thinking that the surrounding floor space would be ok for shopping etc but I really can't see how I would fit my big jog pram & toddler seat in the back PLUS shopping. I would have more room in a hatchback!
    But yep it all comes down to what works for you & what works for me.
    I think we are going to have issues with the purchase price & the payout price I need so I can't be too picky I think.

Fiona take your pram with you and ask to test it they can't say no if they think you are going to buy it.
    I've put the shopping on the floor before. I also will have 3 under school age. But it is what will work best for you as well.

I looked at it as having 7 seats and i would be able to put their friends in as well when they are at school age. I'm sure a time will come when they ask us to pick up friends and also when we have family visit it's great.

Yeah I do see those benifits. I was hoping to get something of that size but its the only van type I have come across in our budget. I think this is only a 6 seater as well. Its Driver/passanger. Then 2 single seats, then the seat in the bback but I didn't look if it had 3 seat belts or 2. But looking at the width of the seats it would only be 2.
    The other thing I need to doubblt check is ancher points on the back row. If it doesn't have ancher points on the last row then its no good to me.

Fiona ours will hold 3 in the back and i have 4 anchor points two in the middle and two at the back. I think it might depend on how old the car is to how many points it will have.

The carnival fits 3 across the back, and I have had two adults and a child, and its not uncomfortable, Its 2 metres wide, which is the same as the voyager, it has two anchorage points for the middle row, and two for the back row, you can take the seats out, so you could take out a middle seat for ease of getting into the back, to have 2 -3 kids back there KWIM???

well, i didn't bother looking at the Kia as I know I wont get the pay out price on my car at the dealer its at. I went (reluctantly I might add) to Australian Fleet sales. They will give me $7k trade in on my car. Which would mean I would have to add $1k to make it up to my pay our price. This is good. Seems every other car yard will only give me a max of $3k for our car. Problem is the only car they will do this sort of trade on is a Holden VY Wagon. 03 model with 135,000 ks on it. So I would end up with a $24k loan. But the car I liked from another yard is a 04 VZ wagon with only 58,000ks on it. But I would end up with a $26k loan due to the fact I would have to tack on the difference of my payout price & the trade they would give me on my current car.
    I have decided that Even if the holden from Aust fleet sales is aproved I am not going to go ahead with it. I don't feel as though they pressured me into it but I do think the situation we are in was taken advantage of. Now that I have had time to think about all my options it really doesn't sit well with me that for $2k more I could have a much better car. What I am going to do & reseach a bit about the safety behind under the bum style boosters for Evan. It would be a squeeze but I could fit that with the 2 car seats in the back of my car. Then once we have a bit more money as a deposit to counter act the payout figure on our car we will look at it again. But in the mean time we will just make do as best we can. As long as I am not putting the safety of Evan at risk by using a under the bum booster. I have never been keen on that style, but I figure plenty of people use them....

FionaJill - definitely double check your pricing, there have been a couple of articles regarding the drop in value of 2nd hand large cars (Ford, Holden's etc), so there should be some good deals out there. Go with your gut, don't feel pressured. Also we recently picked up a VY series II s pack sedan with only 40,000k for not much more than what you have quoted, also new & ex demo VZ's are coming out much cheaper since the VE is coming out. Not normally interested in cars, but DH has just looked into all this and I questioned him a lot about what was the best purchase for us.

OMG! Guess what! After all that friggin stuffin around, I just went to Big W to look at the underbum booster seats & there was one of them Primo baby love capsules. I have looked at these time & time again & thought, yeah it looks smaller then other capsule/reversable car seats.
    Well I thought what the hell i will see if it will fit. So after scamming it for about $120 less then the full price as it was the last one & the could not find the box. IT FITS!!! Just but hey it fits & $150 is alot cheaper then $24k!!
    I can't believe after all that it actually fits! Mind you it will only do till bub is 9kgs but it buys us the time we need while keeping everyone safe.
    Now should I ring the car yard & say bugger off or just wait till they ring me...

livingdoll86 Guest

We have 2 cars a VR commodorre and a Pajero
    If we were to have another kid we'd have to buy something different as we fill the vr at the moment (me, my partner, our 2 kids-2&1 and his son-8)
    and the pajero is modified to be too high off the ground to be putting babies in and out of the middle seat (the babies are in a car seat either side in the back and my step son sits in the very back on one of the fold down seats)
    Also if we go somewhere as a family i'd rather us not have to drive 2 cars everywhere lol (imagine the fuel costs!)

Driving two cars would definately be difficult. My BIL and SIL are doing just that right now with the arrival of their fourth. They are not in a position to get a new car at the moment and are finding it so hard and expensive!

Jo

we have a 98 ford windstar (only one rear sliding door). It does the job for 3 with just enough room in the back (due to child seats) for one additional person. Seats total of 7 and is comfortable. Wish the mpg was better (like 30...lol) but with 3 children and DW's decision that we most likly will be shooting for a 4th, I dont see us leaving the mini-van market any time soon. But dual sliding doors will be a requirement and to be honest with every one, it is getting harder and harder to eclude the dvd entertainment system from the requirement list as well!

HEy, i have a 93 camry wide body station wagon, which has been pretty good to run, and im just wanting to know, anyone know about d!cky seats? im thinking of getting them, we need some more car seats as 3 wont be enough... Anyone know prices and whereabouts you get them? Im in melbourne...

Mum and dad had 6 kids, they had an L300 Mistubishi 8 seater van, and they never really had any major probs with it. Also although they look crappy, tarago's are great, they keep theirvalue though, so for an 88 model (example) you could be looking at $5000 or so, still.

I got my camry for $4000 (93 model) needed a good service, and i can fit the reversible car seat, 5 point harness seat (for my 18 month old) and a booster seat. Its a tight fit, but it works.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast