Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Term TTC & Assisted Conception - Feb 2007 #3

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Default Long Term TTC & Assisted Conception - Feb 2007 #3

Hi girls,

New month and a new beginning! Here's to many BFPs this month! Remember, every new cycle is a chance at achieving your dream...

Your Moderating/Admin team for this forum are as follows
    Sarah_H - [email protected]
    Cailin - [email protected]
    sushee - [email protected]
    tiggy - [email protected]

If you have any issues/problems with this forum feel free to email any of the above moderators who will be happy to assist you. All emails will be treated confidentially.

Read up on the old thread here

Mstickles Guest

Hey Jo - On the new job front, as long as they can accept that you might have to nick off from time to time AND you have some supportive people around you at work (even one will do) I think it should be OK. Everyone is different though, if you can separate your work stress and infertility stress?

You should probably also ask yourself - if you weren't going through the infertility would you have wanted the job? I think a lot of people stop their lives for this (me included) and that is in part why this is so hard. BUT this is just how I feel - it depends on how bad your work is and how you are feeling about it.. only you can really know if you will be able to handle it or not. Sorry - my advise is a bit contradictory....

Welcome to the new people - and I hope everyone is going OK - dream bub and BW - hope you're OK.

Sazz - I have to have an appointment with the nurse, the councellor, the accounts department (make sure we can pay I guess) and the doctor - it's all morning. Did you have to do that when you started???

Sorry for the lack of personals - i can't keep up anymore, there is too much going on every day.

Hi Ladies

Summer - Nope when i am off the Clomid my cycles are around 40- 120 days, although i did go 18 months without a period after i went off the pill! Ahh gotta love PCOS!

Kim B - I find it stings for a few minutes after the puregon injections but it is better if you rub the area with an alcahol swab afterwards not quite as bad!

Well my DH gave me an injection for the first time last night under the strict supervision of the MIL (we are both absolutely phobic of needles!). He put it in and then pulled it out when i slightly flinched so we had to do it all over again! What a laugh!

Also just a quick question this morning when i woke up my stomach feels like i spent 6 hours doing ab crunches yesterday? Has anyone else had this experience? We are on day 7 today and i have my day 8 scan tomorrow morning to see how my follicles are fairing, am quite nervous to tell you the truth i know i will be extremely dissapointed if we dont get some good numbers. DH has also started getting so excited over the last week and is driving me insane!! I Also have my first acupuncture treatment tomorrow night.. anyone tried this with IVF/ICSI before? How did you go?

Thanks for the vent!!

Morning everyone!!
    JO. I think Clare has some great advice for you up there... I know I am very guilty of putting my life on hold while waiting for bubs to get here. No real holidays, putting off job oportunities, waiting on big purchases... why??? Although it is really hard when all you think of all the time is "what if?" we are still living a life here while we wait. And we only get one chance at this life so why not make the absolute most of it? If you think you would love that job if you werent doing ivf, then chances are you will still love it while you are doing ivf, that is if you are getting all the support you need at work and at home, to help out with the added stress. Plus it will certainly give you something to take your mindoff other things during the work day!
    Clare, we didnt have counselling or apt with the accounts dpt but that was about 8 years ago! things may have changed a little in that time! I am a little worried now, that they are being a bit casual withme because of my past experience, mind you, that was years ago. I live 140km away so I dont want to go to apt for no real reason.... hmm may have to ring them.
    Hi Shannon, I am wondering about the acupuncture too. Since I've been on BB I have noticed heaps of girls use it and maybe I should too? What are the benefits? How many visits do you need? What is the cost like? When I had it done for my back a few years ago the woman asked if I may be pg because there is a risk of spontaneous miscarriage from it?!!!!!?? For that reason I havent really investigated it till now. Any info girls?
    Hope everyone else has a great day!
    Hugs... SAZZ

Wow it is busy in here!!

BW and Sunny Summer- on top of our PGD issues, I also have PCOS, and am still taking two tablets of Metformin a day.

Mel Bel- I also had recurrent, m/c, but they now think these were a result of DH's transocations. I am with Dr McBain, as he is the Dr who actually came up with the PGD test, so we know we are in good hands there. I think he is at the same consulting suites as Dr Hale at Freemasons so we may bump into each other!!Tonight will be my third injection of Puregon at 150. With the PGD they want to get as many eggs as possible without hyperstimulation, so they try to tread that fine line IYKWIM. I am having my scan on Saturday morning to see if they need to increase or decrease the Puregon. I am also still on the Syneral, and do wonder if I am taking it some days, as it isn't as nasty as when I first started. Maybe I have just gotten better at it!!
    Is this your first cycle too?

dream bub Guest

HI Girls - Well I had my BT today and I suspected I got a I was a upset even though I was prepared because of the HPT I did. Anyway whilst I was getting my BT I asked to be tested for Diabetes (Ive got PCO) and Thrombophilia. I am convinced that I have an immunological issue which is rejecting these perfect little 5 day blasts. Ive done a lot of research and it just seems to fit too perfectly. Suzi Q - if you are out there - I'd love to hear from you..... Anyway today I sent the longest e-mail to Dr Sacks (reproductive Immunologist) in Sydney. Ive decided to take action of my own and seek his professional opinion. I have an appt with him in Sydney on the 22nd March. Maybe he can help sort out the mess that I am in after so many repeated implantation failures. Its not just statistics anymore - maybe I've been naive to think that until now. Trying to stay positive....... and been scared to be negative in front of DH in case he thinks its time to just give up. I am not ready to do that........

TO everyone out there taking Metformin.... DId you have to do the fasting blood test first and be diagnosed with any type of diabetes before you were prescribed Metformin? Ive asked for it from my FS and he seems so reluctant to prescribe it. Am I missing something - is it ONLY for PCO/PCOS sufferers that have diabetes. I know he's worried I will lose weight and he doesnt wasnt me to but surely thats not a good enough reason if it really helps overcome the PCO issue?????

Shannon - KIm B - I give myself Puregon & Lucrin in the leg, have done for all of my cycles. So if the abdomen hurts too much (it does on me) go for the leg. Use and icepack for a couple of minutes afterwards, it helps with the sting and prevents bruising. Hope you get good follie numbers on Saturday.

Shannon & Sazzafraz -
    I have been doing acupuncture for the last cycle and definately helped with the stress and I got improved egg quality. No danger of spontaneous miscarriage as they target the points that are specific to your reproductive system. I went once weekly for $47 - I get half that back from private health cover. I would recommend it for sure if you have the time and money. Everything that cant hurt can only help I say. Make sure you tell your FS what extra treatment you are having, the clinic might even recommend some one to you in your area. Mine did - even though my actual FS is not fussed about the treatment....

EJE - Good Luck with your scan

Lou - hope you are OK.

See you girls - going off to find something positive to focus on....

I have been diagnosed with PCOS by my Endocronologist ( after being diagnosed with hypothyroidisim) I think the diagnosis was based on my symptoms and some blood tests ( but off the top of my head can't remember what these may have been, as I have had so many BT's since!!) I have only had a fasting glucose test since being on Metformin ( I think middle of last year) and that was fine. Pre IVF I was on 3 tablets a day, but now am taking 2. The only other thing I have been told is that having PCOS puts me at a higher risk of gestational diabetes, so if I do get pg, my endo wants to monitor this very carefully.

HI DB - i am taking metformin, but don't have diabetes. one of the factors that many (but not all by a long shot) PCOS sufferers have is a high level of insulin resistance which can add to the hormonal imbalance side of things. they use the metformin to try to reduce the effects of the IR - so it's not auto prescribed to all PCOS sufferers are TTC - HTH

Mstickles Guest

Hey Shaz, I'm so sorry - I wish I could say something to make you feel better.

Shaz, I am so sorry that you got a BFN. I really feel for you. I just wanted to add that Dr S is my FS and he is a wonderful, caring man. I'm sure you'll feel the same way after you've met him. All of us here on BB that have seen him love him and so does a friend IRL that sees him also.

I'm glad you found him, I was actually going to mention him to you a while back when you were talking about your suspected immunology issues. I really hope he can help you.

Sammi Jane Guest

Shaz, I'm so sorry for your BFN. I wish it was easier... I'm glad you've found a doctor that may be able to help though - something positive to hang on to. Good luck.

I feel like ive just read a massive book with all these posts!

DreamBub In terms of the PCOS, Im not diabetic. I did the fasting test as my result was only border line. My result was the cut off point. It was supposed to be less than 10, mine was 10. I guess im not a typical case of PCOS either, I dont have the long cycles, and the only time Ive had bloods the FS has said it looks like im ovulating anyway as I do have the clear temp rise. Although am overweight a lot. He actually made it seem like GP had freaked me out over it for nothing. He was all too happy to give me the metformin, and it was basically up to me to choose if I wanted to. Have you your FS straight out why this hasnt been an option for you so far?
    Last edited by Violet Star; February 21st, 2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Coz I cant spell today!

I'm so sorry, shaz. Hopefully Dr S will be able to come up with something to help you out.

As for metformin - there's evidence that it's helpful in cases of PCOS even when you don't test positive for insulin resistance. I was initially prescribed it with just the tests to confirm that I had PCOS. However, it just doesn't work unless you use it in conjunction with exercise and a low-carb, low-GI diet. When I switched to my current FS, he sent me for a glucose tolerance test, and we were both absolutely stunned with how bad the results were. Since then I've been a lot more strict with the diet and exercise and have been feeling better. Metformin isn't just about losing weight, it's about counteracting the insulin problems that cause PCOS and as a result of that, hormone levels can improve.

Got to say, I'm loving not being on the synarel! I'm dreading having to take twice as much when we get started, though. Lucrin could be an option, but as I react pretty badly to injections (as seen with the 7cm red welt on my belly from the trigger yesterday), I'm not so sure it would be a better option. I've now moved on to where I'm seeing the funny side of not ovulating on clomid, but growing a big fat follie on synarel! DH has plans to go all out to try and catch said egg, although we're both realistic enough to know that there's very little chance of this working - but we just can't sit back and watch it go without trying. And miracles do sometimes happen...

BW

hello ladies!!

Sorry i havnt been around for a while but i dont always have time to read AND post.lol wow we have been busy, so busy ive had to keep notes.lol

Melbel - I am also with MIVF after transfering from Monash after a hickup with meds, long story! im in the red team with Dr stern who i think shares a room with Lyndon and ive heard that hes great. Sorry can i ask what test they do for PGD or what they do do as i dont relly know much and i too have 2 angles. (maybe something to bring up next time im in, which will be soon i think) GL for your scan on Friday and woohoooooooooo for saturday have a blast and im sure your look beautiful. have a dream day honey.

BW - hope your jab area is feeling better so you can get down to some serious BDing, i hope you catch that little eggie, Now get to action girlie!!

Erinmaree - hi to you and GL with your journey

DB - congrats on your promotion, i say go for it but Clare did have some great advice and things to consider (what do you do by the way?)

Boo - i always feel like every thing to do with ttc takes soooo long, i hope you get your BFP soon darling.

EJE - wow your at MIVF too, GL with your scan on Saturday, be thinking of you

Shaz - im so sorry honey, this is such a tough time, but you sound like your alraedy taking the next steps (when people q me on this i say what else is there to do) i hope your appointment on 22nd gives you some answers. do you mind me asking what test are involved with immunology testing? i think my fs did them for me but im not a good reader

Summer - i hope everything is going along well for you.

Ally - welcome and sorry that you didnt get your reply as soon as you hoped but all the ladies in here are lovely. GL with your journey

well with me - im still gonna test tomorrow even though i feel like this cycle is down the pan. had not pg symptons and just not feeling like it has worked. i do always get sore bb when pg so thats my sign. i called the nurse today to see if i could bring my BT to Saturday as were at a wedding at 10am!(no not Melbels) and as ive said im doing P4 at 4am, 12 noon and 8pm and i said to the nurse that cause i have to lay down for 30 min, ahe then stoped me and said No you dont, i said but thats what the instructions said to which she replyed thats optional. Now can anyone in here tell me that they did the pessaries and got straight up.lol at that one as theired neem a bloody meternity pad on !!

any whoo hope all is well and sorry if ive missed any1 its so hard to keep up at the mo

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Lou,

I did my pessaries for my last cycle at 6am (one pessary) and 8pm (2 pessaries) coz I was working and there was no way I could do it at work. I lay down for about an hour at both times, despite them saying I could get up after 1/2 an hour. My P4 levels were huge that cycle too, so I think there's some leeway.

Hi guys!

I just rang uo the nurse in hysterics as Im still spotting (for the last three days at night)! Just started my Puregon last night- and went to the toilet tonight and yep still spotting! It seems to happen in the evenings??? Nothing in the morning or through the day! Its not like a period- just a lillte red and thin and stops in half an hour its happened three days in a row now- did anyone experience this??? The nurse seems to think its fine and was trying to console me, but I was quite unconsolable!!! I just wanted everything to go perfectly- and Ive NEVER EVER spotted in between period before!

Kim, seems we're both having a rough trot with this IVF thing. Nothing seems to be going right for us at all!

Sometimes I wish these nurses would actually let us talk to the doctors - even if it's just to make us feel more confident with what's going on. I wish I could say something to make you feel better about all of this!

BW

Thanks BW

I did make a point to her that I spoke to another nurse 2 days ago and someone was supposed to get back to me and they didnt! I was really upset- i think the drugs Im taking aren't helping with the emotions! I just want an answer! My DH has a phone app with the dr tommorow and he's going to talk to her then! I know there a lot of people seeking fertility treatment at these places, but sometimes i think they over extend themselves! i dont want to be forgotten and Im spending a lot of money on this and I dont want them to tell me next week that things arent right!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast