... 45678

thread: Long Term TTC & Assisted Conception - Jan 2008 #1

Jan 2008

Hi ladies I came across this forum while searching the net yesterday and it is nice to know that others are going through similar circumstances as us to have a precious little bundle of joy. I find the nurses at the clinic wonderful and friendly but other clients don't really give eye contact or say hello, yet alone discuss the issues we are all going through, so it has been great to be able to read about how others are going on this rollercoaster journey.

I am currently on my 5th IVF cycle. Have had 2 BFP but they unfortunatley ended in miscarriage.

My DH has been wonderful, so supportive and oh so patient while giving daily injections.

Like LeeBS I have had a supportive boss and co workers, they told me before Xmas that they on the rollercoaster with me and they're all sending out positive vibes for that baby to stick.

I had EPU on Wednesday and they found 15 eggs which amazed me as I have only 1 ovary. 10 fertilised but this time FS has opted for a day 5 transfer, blastocyst, which we haven't had before. From reading these forums I am now wondering if I'll have any embies left by monday afternoon!!! Keeping fingers crossed as this has been the toughest cycle on my body.

Thanks for sharing your journeys.

BD

jbub Guest

Had my BT and scan yesterday. My oestrogen levels were still fairly low so my FSH dosage has been increased from 225 to 375 a day. I have 5 10mm follicles on my left ovary which the FS said will be very easy for him to get to. The BAD news is that I have a 4 cm endometrioma on my R side. This is only 3 and a half months after laparoscopy. I think it has been there for 2 months too because thats when the pain on that side first started. My Dr said we will just concentrate on the L side for now. Getting pg is most important thing at the moment and I will have to put up with the pain. He said we will get aggressive with my IVF treatment so i can get pg asap before too much endo grows back (i have a very severe case). I wonder if that means we can have 2 embryos transferred if we get 2?? We were previously told only one. We would be so over the moon to have twins. I am having another bt and scan on monday so will ask him then.
    As you can imagine it was very upsetting to hear about the return of the endo. It REALLY sux. I have had 2 surgeries in the last 6 months already.
    Feeling a bit better today and trying to just focus on the possibility of getting pg and trying to ignore the endo.

Oct 2007
    Rural England

Hi BD - Welcome to BB Sounds like you've found the virtues of the LTTTC & AC thread already! It's a great place, 'tis! Congratulations on the great number of eggies and the fertilisation rate. It sounds like a really positive cycle so far. I can imagine waiting five days to see how your embryos have fared is difficult - I had a two day transfer and that was hard enough. I hope you receive good news on your embryos tomorrow and wish you all the best of luck for transfer and the TWW.

jbub - I'm sorry to hear about the return of the endo. I think AF and endo must be working on the same team. They bring rotten news and make you feel like c**p. Your FS sounds like an understanding person - really prepared to do what is necessary to help you fall pregnant. I wish you lots of luck with the rest of the stims and hope those follies continue to grow, grow, grow!

Jan 2008

TCC

I really do not believe I m actually about to say this, but thanks to the time I have spent so far on BB and the people I have spoken to, I feel as though I just might be able to find the strength to give IVF another go. I really do not think I could face the same FS again he s a heartless thing. But I m sure there are ladies in here that have a Brisbane FS that they would recommend.

So my thought is at this stage. Start on my herbal drink, get healthy, maybe even exersice....' cough ' ' cough' and then start another cycle in may. Hopefully by then DH might be swimmin a little better and there might be a better result in fertilized eggs. This cycle just gone only 2 of the 9 actually did hence none were frozen. That was through what is it ICIS.... cant remember.... where the swimmers are injected.

So Thank You to those I have spoken with and come across over the last 2 weeks, firstly for helping me in the greiving process but also for giving me the strength to consider going again. As one lady answered when I asked her how she keeps going...... "You Just Do"

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

ii'm glad BB has helped you find some strength AB - it's not always easy - sometimes it's downright hard - but i think the support on here makes it more bearable. we'll be hear for you through whatever comes over the next few months

and you're right, sometimes "you just do"... there's no other way to put it!

Our IVF Blessing Has Arrived after 6 Cycles

Apr 2007
    Brisbane Australia

AB - glad you have found the strength (IF you are looking for a Brissie Exercise friend PM me)
    BD - Welcome and GL with this week
    Jbub - hope the endo clears and the postive is stronger

Me off to Melbourne for work this week so may be awol for a while. Starting to save for the Lap in Mrach and our April round

Jan 2008

"you just do"

BG... wonder who that wise person was

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

BG... wonder who that wise person was

i may have imparted that particular wisdom to you, but so many others have imparted the same wisdom over time - and i'm pretty sure i've had more than one long termer say it to me...

now stop dobbin me in!

Jan 2008

Dobber

Me....... Dob Someone In................... Never

Jan 2007
    Perth

Trigger injection is done now thank goodness. I just took it all very slowly, did some deep breathing and got through it. It stung like hell but am very glad it's behind me now! Now I have to go to the clinic tomorrow morning for my 'big bleed' and OPU is on Tuesday - it's all hapening!

minimay Guest

Hi Miss C just getting back to you re clexane. Yes you are correct it is used for blood clotting etc but also used in older women to get uterus blood flow happening and to help the embryo stick (that is if its a good one) our last cycle was the first time we used it but no sticking this time.

Oct 2007
    Rural England

AB - it's really good to hear that you are feeling like you can look forward. I think looking forward is the first step to healing from things that have happened. It allows moving forward to happen then, in time I thought I would mention that like you, in my first cycle I had nine eggs collected, and we only ended up with 2 viable embryos, through ICSI (I had one transfered - BFN - and the other is frozen). 3 fertilised on the first day, and 2 of those went on to continue growing the next day. Our 2 embryos were very good quality, but the reason my other eggs didn't fertilise is that they were slightly under-mature, and didn't finish the maturation process in vitro (IV) before fertilisation, which is expected when slightly under-mature eggs have been collected. I know that your FS has been lacking in bedside manners, to say the least, but were you given any indication whether there was any and what the cause was for the low fertilisation rate? Can you ask? The reason I say this is because if you are aware of anything (such as under-matured eggs, like me) it means that the new FS that you choose for your next cycle will have some valuable information to help achieve a better fertilisation rate. I'm on a higher dose of Gonal-F (FSH) this time and my FS now knows what size my follicles need to be in order to maximise their maturation before collection. She expects us to have a much better fertilisation rate this time round - if everything goes smoothly up to collection. Hope this is helpful, and I wish you all the best in having a rest and feeling strong and well again

Bec - very excited for you! Glad you got through the trigger ok. I hope you're resting up well before your OPU on Tuesday, and I wish you lots of luck for your "big bleed" (charming term lol) today. I will be thinking of you. Lots of fluids when you get home!!

minimay - thanks for clarifying I didn't realise Clexane was used for that purpose. It's amazing the different ways in which a drug can be used because of the effect it can have on the body. I really hope your next cycle is a success - will you be on Clexane again, do you think?

No news is good news from me - we're three-quarters of the way through the packing up of the house, with a week and a half to go before the removalists are here. Stims are going well - have had three injections so far, no problems. Will be seeing a clinic counsellor on Wednesday to help with the mental/emotional stuff so I'm looking forward to that, actually. Scan for follicles is on Thursday, and will know more about when to expect EPU then.

Hope everyone is well and hugs to you all,

Miss C

Jan 2008

Miss C

As I was reading through your reply I felt like such a novice. I m no good with Medical Terminology...... Never have been, the names and the terms go in one ear and out the other. So I ll answer your questions in point form just to make it a tad easier on the beginner here..........me.

Ironically my fertility rate was identical to yours. A third egg did fertilize but wasnt good enough. From memory he said something about grading s from 1 to 4. Apparently the 2 that were transferred were 3.5 s and the third one was 2. He decided that the third egg would not survive being frozen.

I have not heard of under mature eggs before. He was "very happy" with my eggs so i can only assume considering who this FS talked "very happy" would be someone elses version of "fantastic".... everything was talked in the negatives with this FS. So I suppose that my eggs were fine, I ll have to read more on Under Mature eggs. see i learn more from this web site than i have with him....... Goodness I hope you lot dont give me a bigger bill than he did..............

As for the reasoning behind them not fertilizing......... Our biggest problem is with DH swimmers. The percentages were VERY low. We have been working on that!!!!!!

As for my dosage. I was on 450 which is the highest. Apparently I m old and overweight so I needed the full dosage.........

All information I have will be passed on to the new FS after I have been to many and picked one that suits us better this time. His comments to us after transfer was that he wasnt expecting anything to happen.... after all its only the first time he has touched me..... he will know more next time...... Which of course there will not be a next time... for him at least.

Goodness..... I sound like a complaining thing when the subject of FS comes up. I read other peoples post who think their FS was wonderful..... I think I m really going to have to try and put it behind me and focus now on finding one that IS good.

Dec 2005

Angel Babies, the important thing to remember in all of this is that you need to find an FS you are comfortable with. You wouldn't continue to take your car to a mechanic that you weren't comfortable with, so there's no reason to treat your body any differently! My apologies for equating cars with bodies!

I will have to say that overall, I'm very happy with my FS... but there's been times where I have been absolutely fuming angry with some of the things he has done, and said some extremely unflattering things about him! But, I know that I do get the answers I need from him (mostly), and when I've been in a calmer, better state, I know that I fully deserved the butt-kickings I got from him!

I don't think any one is ever completely 100% satisfied with their FS, they are people too, in the end. It's a matter of finding one you can be happy enough with where the things that you are unhappy with aren't things that you find extremely important. I'm not sure if that makes sense?

BW

Jan 2008

Thanks for the welcome ladies.

Well today we go in to see how many embies have made it to the blastocyst stage,
    my DH assures me not to worry, we'll have something to transfer. Here's hoping.

Jbub I only have my left ovary and this has a 3cm endometrioma but I'd thought I'd reassure you that even with this you are still able to achieve good egg numbers. For our 1st cycle we collected 7 and last Wed there were 15 mature eggies. My FS has opted to not do anything about the endo as he doesn't want to disturb anything while things are working and while I am on Lucrin, which was 4 weeks before starting FSH this time, it hasn't appeared to get any larger. Apparently down regulaton can help slow things in some cases. So you may be suprised that you can also get eggs for your right ovary too!! Good luck

Oct 2007
    Rural England

AB, when I started on BB I too felt such a novice with any medical terminology to do with IVF. But I gained so much knowledge through being here on BB and it just takes time. We are all here to look after you and make sure you understand and get the information and support you need. We were all beginners once, so we understand how you feel, hun

It's good that you can rule out the under-mature eggs - it's one less issue to be concerned about - so don't stress about reading up about it if you don't want to and you know there is no issue - I just thought it was worth mentioning as we had such a similar scenario in our respective fertility rates. With the information you do have, you get to focus on what can help make the next cycle a success I know this is what has helped me deal with our unsuccessful first cycle.

BW's analogy about FS and the cars is spot on, and explains it so well. I can extend on that in my own way that I view it and say that you wouldn't trust your car/house/belongings in the hands of someone who you didn't like and respect, so how could it be any different with such wholly vital and sensitive things as your own body, you and your partner's fertility and your potential children? Dealing with such sensitive things as these requires the matching sensitivity. This sensitivity is what earns your trust and respect.

I wish you lots of luck in finding a new FS who is sensitive, empathetic and understanding. They are out there, Angel Babies. You now know what to look for and know what you need and I'm sure you will have a much better experience and the new and bright hope of new life with the new doctor you choose.

Lots of hugs,

Miss C
    Last edited by Acacia; January 14th, 2008 at 11:38 AM.

Apr 2007
    Sunshine Coast, Qld

Hi Everyone
    Wow! I have been MIA for about a week (I think, time escapes me) and boy have I got some catching up to do.
    Welcome to all the new people. I look forward to catching up on your progress & supporting you on your TTC journeys.
    TL, Miss_C, BecD, BW & BG - hi, hope you are all going well.
    Me - still waiting for next appt. I sold my car though about 2 weeks ago, so have purchased a new one & am waiting to pick it up (hopefully tommorrow or Wednesday). Yay! Can't wait, have been driving hubby's big Patrol & man, is it hard to park! I have just been enjoying not being on any drugs at the moment. It has been great - I am feeling more balanced than I have in a long time.
    Well, take care all & I will try to keep up from now on.

Jul 2006
    Canberra

I'm back & Dr David Knight/Next Generation question

Hi everyone

This is just a quick post to say hello to everyone for 2008. A lot has happened since my last post, including moving interstate, changing jobs and (obviously) changing FS and clinic. It has been a very busy few months - I was amazed to find that my last logon was September last year!

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to catch up with what is going on in this thread, but hello to all those I have yet to meet and hugs to those who I already know, although I am pleased to see there aren't too many names I know - I can only hope that means that they have moved onto the pregnancy support threads!

I do have a quick question for you all - I just found out today that my FS has left SIVF in Canberra (a dispute with the management apparently) and is now referring her patients to Dr David Knight at Next Generation in Sydney. He will be involved for the procedure part only - my FS in Canberra will do all the blood tests, medications, monitoring etc. I would appreciate anyone's experiences of Next Generation and Dr Knight in particular. Many thanks in advance.

To everyone, wherever you are at in your cycle, wishing all the best of luck!
    Take care all,
    Cheryl

... 45678