Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: LTTTC & Assisted Conception ~ February 2006 #2

ozziemum Guest

hello everyone, i am very new at all this. my friend may have mentioned that i might have a look at this site and that you may be able to help with some questions along my journey.

I am currently trying to concieve baby number 1. my husband and i have not had much luck in the past couple of years trying.

we have attempted ivf on one occation and found this to be a failure.

we have been asked if we would like to give it another go now that we have a little more money behind us but this time using the microinjection technique. I am not to sure as to exactly what the difference will make apart from them directly injecting my husbands sperm into my eggs and hopefully have a few more fertilize. I really am not to sure if this will make any difference in the success rate of being able to hold a pregancy,

has anyone under gone this process and what has there out come been.

I am also a little worried that if we do go down this avenue that our child will have some chance of abnormality, but i guess that is a very small price to pay, when all you want is to have a child of your own right.

I am sorry for the long winded story.

again thank you.

Tina

Hey there Tina,

I am so glad that you found the site ok.

I am sure that the girls in here will be able to help you in anyway they possibly can. And I am sure they will make you feel as welcome as I am.

Hope all goes well in anyway you turn.

love heaps.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Hi Tina,

Welcome to BB. I know the girls in here will be a great support to you!

ICSI (or microinjection) is quite safe. There seems to be some medical evidence that suggests that there is a very slightly higher rate of abnormalities in IVF children, but not necessarily ICSI children.

In part, some scientists have explained this slightly higher rate of abnormalisties by noting that many women using IVF have pre-existing genetic, fertility or egg quality problems to begin with. With this in mind, IVF women, as a cross-section, probably would have more children with abnormalities. I think, in context, the number of abnormalities in IVF children would be in the right ratio for the kinds of ferility issues IVF women have.

ICSI is an excellent tool to increase the rate of fertilisation, but doesn't increase the chances of falling pg unfortunately. However as it usually increases the amount of embryos you have at your disposal, it's probably easier on you, your body and your budget in the long run if you are having difficulties wiht natural fertilisation.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that for some women, ICSI is a godsend. And I wouldn't worry about abnormalities, to be honest, it's not that different from natural pgs! Plus, recently it was reported in the news that ICSI children have a higher average IQ than the general population!

Good luck with it all Tina and I hope you find success with your future cycles.

love
    sushee

skyelar Guest

Hi Tina & welcome to BB \/

We used ICSI just last month & it worked wonders for us first go. I had 5 eggs collected at EPU, 3 were mature enough to fertilise & all fertilised beautifully. We fell pg with the first transfer

I am so glad we went with ICSI, it increased our chances of getting fertilised eggs & technically we had a 100% fertilisation rate. We have 2 snowbubs in the freezer waiting for us in the future.

All the best with your up & coming cycle!

Hi Tina,
    Welcome!
    My daughter is a ICSI FET baby as she is perfect in every way (you can click on my www to see her ) . We used ICSI due to husbands lowish motility, science is a wonderful tool and ICSI has been used for many years with great results. I find now talking to alot of woment that do IVF they under go ICSI. We felt that we were having so much done we would be better to do the icsi and hopefully have a better rate of fertilization.
    Good luck
    Bec

~Jane~ Guest

Bec - I was just admiring your gorgeous photos. If ever there was "poster baby" for ICSI she is it, you must be sooooo proud

Tina - Welcome to BB my DH and I have been recommended ICSI because he has low count, high abnormalities and low motility. I have also been worried about abnormailites etc but my gynea has been very reassuring about this not being the case. (I am a natural born worrier)

lil-chookie - glad to hear the business is going well and hope that your insomnia is the sign of something exciting to come. I know the suburb you are in and am planning on getting out that way when all my friends have their bubs, I am a terror when cashed up so will be your ideal customer!

It's fantastic to hear of everyone's success with ICSI, I am starting to get quite anxious to get on with it now that my appointment is so close and almost excited about it all, although I am sure once I have to go through the hormonal side of things the shine will wear off.

I hope everyone is well, stupid AF has arrived after a week of post lap bleeding, argh! And I have now calculated that I will be ovulating the weekend of my sisters wedding when we are staying at my parents on the fold out couch, it could be interesting 8-[ it's our last hoorah before we see the RS so we might have to book a romantic motel

Was trying to have a relaxed, recovery day today but poor puss cat is quite ill! For those of you that don't know, I am a vet. I have 4 furry babies of my own - 2 dogs and 2 cats. All have medical "issues" (typical vet's pets) except our newest addition -"Jordan"(a six mth old, healthy pup).
    Our beloved Burmese "Wilbur" -whom I adopted after he was hit by a car 6-7 yrs ago, is diabetic and on twice daily insulin. Has had many other illnesses as well (cost us a small fortune even with me being a vet!) but he has been great recently. I stupidly dropped and smashed his insulin vial yesterday (blaming it on the anaesthetic) so had to beg the local chemist to sell me another so I didn't have to drive out to work (45mins away).
    Well. must be the batch or the old vial was losing potency, because he collapsed this afternoon -low blood sugar. Had to take him up to my old work which is closer and get someone else to treat him -I'm not great with my own babies and didn't trust my skills after the surgery,. Luckily my old boss was there. He was aware of some of my recent dramas so was great to just take care of dear Wilbur. Will call and see how he is in a few hours. Geez, I'm going to be hopeless once we have a human baby!!

sararms Guest

Welcome to all the new comers in the thread. I hope the people here are able to offer you some support and advice when you need it.

Jane I know what you mean about being excited. I'm really excited this time. You might feel nervous at first, but you soon get used to your daily injections and they just become a part of the routine. It's the TWW that is the hard part believe me!!

I'm still working on my own health in terms of diet and reflexology and I think it is really working. I feel really positive and hopefully it will work this time...NO It WILL work this time!!

ozziemum I too have had IVF with ICSi ( microinjection). All I can do is reiterate what the other girls have said. As you can see from the responses to your question, it is really common now, and a God send to those couples who have male factor infertility. It raises the chances of fertilization which is obviously the first hurdle. Personally I had 16 eggs that were used and 13 of those fertilized, so you see, you are in with a very goos chance of fertilization using ICSI. I wouldn't worry about it, but embrace it as something that is going to help you have a baby that will most probably be perfectly normal ie: cute, snotty nose, dirty nappies, back chat when old enough, healthy, a pain in the neck at times, but just what you wanted.

good luck with your journey

Hi all and welcome to all the newbies out there.....

I have been hiding under a rock, well no not quiet... family dramas to add to the rest of my life issues, my poor dad has just been diagnosed with myeloma, incurable cancer.... he is remaining strong and so our the family for his sake!!!

Hi Jane, I replied to your post in endo/pcos.... but just an add on.. I hope you are recovering well my sweet.... and I have 12 days off after the op, and I have heaps of annual leave if i need to take more....

I haven't really been doing much gals, in the TTC way as my op is on the 23rd Feb, no point in TTC as I really want that endo out. Jane how much endo did they find in there and what level was it?????

Best of luck for everyone out there in the 2ww or just starting IVF/AI etc.... will check in soon....

Must start studying, I am falling behind .....

love leis xx

Jane - Hope you are starting to feel better after the op. I had the same as you a few months ago, a week of post op bleeding and then AF straight away. It's not fair is it!!!

Meredith - I hope Wilbur is doing okay. My little fur baby cat Middy is unwell as the moment. She just keeps throwing up all the time, I think it is the extreme weather changes here. Cold to hot to cold. I am keeping a close eye on her as the moment being the overprotective mother I am!!!!!

Tina - Welcome, you will find lot's of lovely supportive ladies in here.

sararms - Love the positive attitude!!!

Hello to everyone else.

xox

~Jane~ Guest

Leis - I forgot to ask what level endo it was, there were three spots under my right ovary that were causing it to stick down, I also had it near my left ovary near/on? on the bowel and also behind my cervix. I know I used to have level IV years ago but I dont think it is as severe now. My gynea is one of the better surgeons in Melb and seems to get most of it out every time he operates so it takes longer to come back. I have been looking up your guy and he sounds brilliant, I used to go through ecca in Melb. Having the break from ttc while waiting for a lap is a real bummer isn't it.

Lil-chookie - I am feeling much better but over this bleeding, I am keeping Libra in business at the moment LOL

Meredith - how is Wilbur this morning, I hope he is on the mend, DH loved his name BTW.

DH had his second SA this morning so we get the results on Friday, they were lovely at the clinic. The girl looked up DH's previous results and told me things weren't too bad for us and we should have a good chance with IVF which I thought was nice of her.

I hope everyone else is going well.

Thanks Jane and lil-chookie for asking after Wilbur.
    He is apparently much better this mornng -probably annoying everyone (he is a very social man and demands constant attention!). Will go and pick him up shortly - his girlfriend "Cleo"(our 3 legged puss) is missing him!
    Am feeling better myself today too. Thankfully the chest/shoulder pain has finally passed. Just quite a bruised tender belly -bit unattractive!!
    Hope everyone else is well. Jane and firemansgirl - I agree -this waiting thing really does suck. Particularly when you need AC -just can't do anything until the doc's say so. [-o< that HCG levels are down next week and we can get going soon.

~Jane~ Guest

Leis, I tried replying in the endo forum but it didn't like me. I forgot to mention in my post earlier, thank you for thinking of me, I am so sorry to hear about your Dad not being well. It is very hard when our parents get ill. I hope you are staying calm and strong waiting for your lap.

Sararms - I have been wondering how you have been going. Glad to hear that your health kick is going well. I am still on my eat less weigh less plan and I honestly think it is helping. I have had a normal cycle again this month (even after the lap) only 29 days again and there was evidence that I had ovulated when they did the lap, he showed me a picture which was kind of cool!! The aim is to get the weight down and help the PCOS along, I only have it quite mildly so diet has helped regulate things for me in the past. If only I could give up coffee I would be right.

Meredith - I love hearing about your cats, CLEO what another great name. I had to give my cat to my mum when we moved to Melbourne back in 2000 as we were in a tiny flat when we first moved here. I have a real soft spot for animals.

~Jane~ Guest

Sorry about the multiple posts, my computer is not being cooperative, could one of the mods please delete the last two, the same thing happened over in the endo forum, thanks heaps

sararms Guest

Jane Glad to hear things are going well with you. Endo sounds like aright pain in the a**

Leis I'm very sorry to hear about your father, I hope you all manage to pull through it.

As for me AF is here alright!! Feeling rubbish, but good because it's not long now before the first jab. Ouch it hurts :fuming:

Bit quiet in here today! Everyone must be out enjoying the nice weather (well its nice in melbourne today).
    Went to the Lion King this afternoon with my family. My dad and stepmum purchased tickets for all of us months ago which was lovely of them. Was a fabulous show -even DH enjoyed it and he is not big into theatre! Was it you Nola who went about a week ago too? Really, really amazing set/puppetry etc isn't it?
    Only difficult part for me was the "family" thing. Don't get me wrong, I love my siblings and my (many) nephews/nieces but I had expected to be 13weeks pg at this event. Instead I felt a bit empty and lonely- staring at the loads of excited children. None of my family even really aknowledge our recent loss -guess they just don't know what to say.
    Back to work again tomorrow - is time to start pushing my boss about wanting to go part time. Particularly if we will be TTC again in the coming weeks.
    Leis -hope AF leaves soon and you can get a bit closer to that transfer

starbright Guest

Thank you for all your support and kind words. I know it is so difficult trying to comfort someone going through what is a terrible time for them. Especially us all who are in the same boat even though we all deal with it in different ways. My way was hybernation in bed, reading, not going to work and taking time out for me.
    One thing that keeps coming to me when I calm down and think about it is we cannot change things. There is no such things as accidents. Everything happens for a reason. My first attempt at IVF I cont. going to the gym, kept myself busy with work, tried to control my temper and outbursts due to the hormone injections and nervousness of what was to come. I tried to stay as sane as I could (which is a big big thing..lol). And I got hyperstimulation.
    This time round I thought I'm going to stop the gym, slow down with work, do yoga, I gained weight, was happy and content. I felt fabulous! And then I got a negative. My point is... I tried to change things within my life and within myself and NOTHING change within my situation. I am still not pregnant.
    So what gives? At the end of the day it is out of our control. I have no answers as to why. So I should stop beating myself over why me? Why can't I get pregnant? Why is this happening? Is it because of this or that? Is it because I was angry with my SIL for getting pregnant? (sorry, I am Ms Analyser) I analysis everything!
    Sorry to have gone and on... you are all thinking cut it out starbright your stretching the friendship..lol..

I have one question though.... has anyone gone through another transfer the very next month after a neg? Thanks for reading! And welcome to all the new girls! xxx

sararms Guest

Hi Starbright

It sounds like you are behaving perfectly normally to me. I was the same, first time round, i carried on as normal and the second took it really easy and as you can see, both times negative. My consultant said it basically comes down to luck. You can produce 5 embryos all looking exactly the same under the microscope and you get nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, baby!! He says 90% of IVF is chance. So you're right, there is nothing you can do at this stage except look after your self and get your body in the best possible shape ready for the next go, if you decide to go again. All the best

To answer you question I have had substantial gaps between my cycles. longer after the fresh cycle apparently to let the hormnes totally subside and the ovaries recover from the stimulation.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast