Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TTC & Taking Clomid &/0r Metformin ~ January 2006

I'm around 170cm tall - so 69kg is right at the top of the healthy weight range for me.

If you're eating all the right things, and exercising and still not losing weight... then there's a chance that it could be down to the insulin resistance that causes PCOS - it often shows in slightly elevated triglycerides in blood tests. It was something we'd seen with me for a while, but they were still fairly normal, so none of my doctors ever worried too much about it. Little did we know the true depth of my IR problem!

BW

Hi everyone.
    Haven't posted for a few days-DH and I have been doing a lot of talking and planning! I'm CD 26 today-expected AF last week with such a low progesterone level at 7DPO (or suspected ovulation, given my eggs didn;t pop!), but think my cycle is haywire now post clomid!Hoping it's not to do with my scarring returning. Anyway, sorry for the waffle which follows-think I need to write this down, then it definately feels more solid!
    We see FS in 13d, and will hopefully have a definate action plan then.
    Feel better than last week after lots of talking and thinking with DH. We are already in the process of being approved to adopt internationally-if all goes to plan we would have a 'baby' (between 8 and 15months old) in about 2 years! We have thought lots about our next step-whether to continue TTC or whether to simply enjoy ouselves until China calls at that time!!
    So, depending on what FS says, 'our plan' would be to see how my eggs are looking, and maybe try a cycle IVF with my eggs. If it's pretty obvious there's little hope, we will go to donor egg. We'd like to 'crack on' (no pun!) sooner, really to have some time out if ivf isn't successful to 'have a life again' without TTC before we adopt.
    There, said it!

Whilst typing this, have just had a call out of the blue from a colleague offering us her eggs, and if needed her body for surragacy!!!! Completely shocked and blubbing away! Some people are just so nice and caring. Bit shocked to write anything more! Sorry for no peronals, as I'd intended. Gulp.:biggrin:
    Will report back later
    Milly

Wow, Milly! That's very, very selfless of her... I'm really not sure what I'd make of that sort of offer if it were made to me though, I can see you have a lot to think about there!

Good luck with the FS appointment - it sounds like you have the makings of a very good plan there.

BW

Hi Milly
    Wow thats really nice of your work collegue to make that offer. I don't know what I'd do in that situation but I wish you the best of luck with the decision you and your dh make.
    Good luck with your next appointment with your fs too.

BW How are you going hun? Has the yukky nausea feeling gone away yet?

Ktgirl How's things with you gorgeous? I hope you are doing well.

A big hi to Pollyanna, Belinda,Sunny Summer, Willow and anyone else I've missed. I hope you are all doing good. Is anyone up for testing soon????? We need some bfp's in here!!!!!!

As for me, I rang Hunter Ivf yesterday and spoke to one of the nurses there and asked what is involved with IUI and asked if I should have a break before starting and how much it was going to cost etc and she told me that we don't need to have a break if we don't want to and she told me that we will be $552 out of pocket until we reach our medicare safety net.
    I'm thinking of waiting to see how this cycle ends up and if af arrives I'll go and register for this next month and go from there. I'm feeling a little nervous about the whole thing though. I'm feeling really worried at the moment regarding the whole ttc thing no matter how we conceive. I'm really worried that if I end up with a bfp sometime in the future, how will I cope if I end up having another m/c? I know this is a silly way to think but I don't know if I could handle going through another one.Sorry I'm just rambling on. I should be thinking happy thoughts not bad ones.

Mako, those thoughts are perfectly understandable! I have them as well, having never lost a baby myself - just knowing that I'm at an increased risk for it scares me to death. Have you had any testing to see why you lost your two precious angels? Perhaps it may be worth while asking for some tests to be done before starting the IUI, so you at least know why, and try something to help the next bub stick.

I am feeling a lot better now - perhaps it was just my tummy adjusting to being on the pill again.

I'm also actually starting to feel somewhat excited about my calorie counting website thingy - it drove me nuts for a few days, but I'm figuring my way around it now!

BW

Hi Girls

Just thought I'd pop on and metion the Slow Release Merformin.

It's called Diabex and it is taken with Dinner - I currently take 1500mg and it is OK - there are some slight side effects - but knock on wood - from what I have heard nowhere near as gruesome as the normal Metformin.

In regards to weightloss - it comes off very, very slowly in my experience - and you MUST incorporate diet (ie recommended LOW GI) and exercise otherwise it just plateaus (sp??) out - so not really a quick fix me - however I haven't gained weight since starting - HTH

Good luck with your journey's -

Hi All

BW - glad to see things are loking up for you - you seem much more positive than you did a couple of weeks ago, which is awesome. I'm glad your tummy has settled down a bit now.

Milly, WOW - that's a MASSIVE offer - and so very generous - and even if you don't take her up, it's amazing that a friend thinks so much of you that she'd offer something like that to help you fulfil your dreams - you're obviously a very special person! My SIL has offered on more than once to carry a baby for us if need be to help us to fulfil our dream - but she had traumatic births and a couple of m/c's herself - and i couldn't accept the offer cos i know how guilty she would feel if something went wrong - but it's amazingly touching that she cares that much.

Mako - it's understandable that you have fears of losing another precious angel - we're all at higher risk of something not turning out right - and as much as knowing a plan of attack for treatment can be very positive, i've also found it really difficult - i think it's brought to the front of my mind even more what risks there are - and it's scaring the bejesus out of me!

as for me, i've been deliberately MIA for a couple of days - after my massive vent last week about work, i decided that i needed to reassess where i was at - and the only way to do that was to take a few days out to find out where i wanted things to go. i put in an official complaint about a number of issues at work yesterday - after working on it for over a week - one manager had taken it updon herself to discuss my TTC issues with another staff member (a friend of mine) and i decided that was the last straw. i had to wait a week to put in the complaint to make sure it wasn't "inappropriate" in what i wrote - i was FUMING. after getting that out of the way, i've been able to refocus my priorities - DH and i had a big talk the other night and decided that work was only a job - TTC is about our future, and no matter what happens, this takes priorities - you can always get another job, but you don't always have the opportunity to have a family - and we don't want to miss that opportunity - DH has agreed that, if work continue to be painful about the whole thing, then he'll go back to his previous employer (thankfully, they ring him every couple of weeks cos his work ethic is amazing and they really want him back), where he can earn more in a week than we both earn in a fortnight - might take a bit more planning for IUI or (if it happens) IVF, but at least we know we have that safety net to fall back on - my stress levels are now about a quarter of what they were last week (and i can't shake that stress - still trying to renovate and the whole TTC thing!)

oh yeah - had BT this morning - waiting on a call this afternoon to let me know if it's time to start on the nasal spray - it's been a VERY long day - i'm really not patient - i just want to know whether to get the script or not!!!

ok, enough waffling for me - DH and my big bro are outside trying to put together a gate - and from the comments coming in through the window, i think they might nieed some assistance/supervision!

Hey girls, just a quick one from me.

Mako - I cannot tell you how much I understand your fear of another loss. The closer we get to my epu, the more and more i think about it. I am still devastated by my last loss, I cannot go through that again after everything we've been through to get to this point. I'm sure you feel the same way. Let's just hope it's something neither of us ever has to face again.

BG - glad you've sorted so much out. Is it synarel you'll be starting soon? Man, that stuff is nasty! LOL!!

Big hello to everyone else, will pop back later for more personals.

hi willow - yes it's syranel - just got the go ahead to start on it - so IUI it is for us! not really sure how i'm feeling about the whole deal yet - i think i'm happy that it's finally moving in the right direction - but at the same time i'm petrified of the unknown! no matter how many other people have been through it, i haven't done it myself yet - and i'm a little freaked out by the whole thing. i guess up until today i still held this tiny thread of hope that maybe we'd get there on our own (with only a little help from the clomid) - now it's been confirmed that we need intervention and it's a pretty hard thing to accept. i am so in two minds at the moment - half of me thinks it's great cos we're on the right road - the other half is teetering on a mental breakdown. ah well, going for a massage tonight - maybe that will help tip me into a positive frame of mind! either that or i'll have a good cry later tonight when i finally get DH to myself - and by tomorrow morning i'll be good!

so, why is is the syranel "nasty stuff" - haven't really read too much on here about side effects

and how goes your treatment at the moment? are the injections still agreeing with you? very curious as i look to be starting them Feb 1 - yay! (i think!)

BG, I'm told it's because of the way synarel tastes... apparently it's pretty bad!

I've been doing so well for the last few days, but today it's all hit me... if my insulin levels weren't so disgustingly bad in the GTT, I'd have started IVF now! Forget thinking that it's nice to have time to prepare, I'm frustrated about being put in a holding pattern for 4 weeks doing something that's probably not going to help anyway! gah!

BW
    Last edited by butterfly_warrior; January 17th, 2007 at 02:39 PM.

if the biggest issue is taste, i can deal with that one! i have an ever present stash of minties to help with nausea, so i'll shake the taste pretty quick

just went onto a website to look up side effects - looks pretty much the same as everything else - probably won't notice them too much - have been noticing the effects from the metformin more lately - didn't have an issue when i was on 1000 but now i'm on 1700 (850mg twice daily) i seem to have a constant upset stomach - it's driving me nuts - but i guess it's a small price to pay!

Sorry for lack personals yesterday...had a strange day to say the least! Hope you ladies are all keeping well
    BG-hope you're feeling brighter and less stressed re the work situation-I totally agree with you in thinking a jobs a job at the moment. Good Luck with the cycle-one step closer to that BFP!!
    BW- how are u holding out? Hope the next 4w don't drag too much. All we girls do is wait!!
    Mako-I know where you're coming from! When we were in the waiting room simply aiting for USS just to see whether i'd any follies from the clomid I felt 'ill', sweaty palms, butterflies etc!! Both DH agreed it would be so hard if ever we did get a BFP to sit there waiting for the USS!! Sometimes it's hard to think happy thoughts when you've lost that innocence after going thru' miscarriage or LTTC. Hugs

As for me, still no sign AF. Now D27. Had 26d cycles without the clomid.Aarrggh.:frown:

Anyway, lots of talking again with DH last night. Still thinking along the same lines re needing to take things further, and if there's a chance of trying either IUI or IVF with my eggs, then we'll have a shot first. If not, then we will definately consider our 'friends' generous offer to donate eggs (she is 27, has had twin boys and a daughter naturally, and hubby just had vasectomy!!) It seems surreal, but I think it is simply needing a 'plan' and some control, something which we seem to have lost. I know many people wouldn't consider egg or sperm donor and will do anything to have a baby that's genetically both theirs-we thought that would be us. But it's strange-finding out about my high FSH and proabable diminished ovarian reserve and quality being something that can't be fixed, after the molar pregnancy and then scarring from the surgery, we want to take the path most likely to give us a 'bubs of our own' -whether it be genetically ours, donor egg or adoption, so we can 'get on with our lives again' and be a family IYKWIM??!
    Sorry for waffling again! Of course this will all depend upon what FS says!!! The path is still long!!!:eek:

I'm not doing quite so good today... I think the reality of just how immensely bad my insulin levels were has hit. And I realised that my clinic usually starts the IVF process at that second appointment, so we've been delayed for a month simply because of my insulin levels, not for any other reason! And I could have had got the hang of the whole injection thing while on holidays, and figured out how I respond to the drugs in the comfort of my own home, not while having to cope with work!

I'm trying to be positive about things, but I'mnot finding it so easy! I have made it through one of the 4 weeks already... only 3 more to go... Hopefully I'll start feeling a little less frustrated and find my way back to that positive place I was in a few weeks back.

Sorry for being so self-absorbed. :frown:

BW

Don't worry BW - we all have "me" days - and sometimes it's really healthy to get it off your chest - hope you're feeling a little better now than you did at lunch time.

mako - i know what you mean about the waiting being almost unbearable - but you made it - and you're one step closer to a BFP now that you've survived it - little steps - that's the only way we'll get through!

as for me - started synarel spray this morning - and felt terrible all day - i'm not sure if it was the spray or just the stress of everyday life, but i felt decidedly seedy all day - i guess we'll see what the next few days bring - i'm trying not to let things get me down too much at the moment (great in theory - now i just have to put it into practice!)

sorry for no other personals - have just gotten home from work and feel like i have a heap to do before i can relax properly.

Hi
    BW You are allowed to have days where you think about yourself and only yourself.You don't need to apologise for these days hun
    Brigsys Girl You are such a sweet woman. How is the nasal spray going? I hope it doesn't taste too bad.
    Milly How are you going? I'm still amazed of that offer from your friend. She must be an extra special person.
    Willow It feels so much better to know that I'm not the only one who's scared to death about this ttc and m/c's etc.How is the IVF journey hun? What has been happening with you?
    Ktgilr Hi hun, I hope you are ok.
    Miss Belinda How are you doing?
    Pollyanna How are you going sweet? Haven't seen you around for a while, I hope you are ok.
    Does anyone know were BeiBei is? I haven't seen her around since before I went away for Christmas and was wondering how she's going.
    Hi to anyone else I've missed tonight.
    As for me I'm a bit sad tonight. My friend who has been doing IUI for the last 3 months has told me she has had another unsuccessful result today. I just wish things would turn around for her and her dp. This has made me wonder if things are going to work for me and dh. I know that we are all different and we all have different circumstances and all but it does make me wonder. Sorry for putting a dampener on things tonight but I just needed to get this out.

hi girls

Well i had my day 11 ultrasound yesterday and it showed 1 x 18mm and 2 x 14mm follies... doc feels it is a pretty good response, my estogen was a massive 1600!!
    In comparison to my natural cycle before xmas, i had one follie and my estogen was 520.

So i had the HCG Trigger shot last night at 6pm and i go for insemination tomorrow morning at 7am!!

Is this usual, day 11 trigger and day 13 insemination?? seems a bit early to me....

hi mako - the nasal spray thing is going ok - second dose tonight hasn't hit me anywhere near as bad as this morning - i think with everything that's been happening at work, i just feel ordinary - and worse when i'm at work! stress can be a pain in the neck!!!

i'm so sorry your friends IUI experience isn't being as "friendly' as you'd like for it to be - i know that hearing of others successes and failures has an impact on all of us and the mindse we have going into treatment. i know it's easier said than done, but you have to take your own treatment as completely different to your friend - and do everything you can to make your dreams come true. my thoughts are with you friend and her DP as they go through this - and i really hope you don't let their bad results influence you against treatment yourself.

take care

ETA - TWOMUM's - that's awesome news! good luck for tomorrow! and trust in your FS knowing when the timing is right - everyone's cycle is off whack on these meds. Hope they catch that little eggie for you!

Good morning
    Twomums I wish you all the best for this cycle of IUI. I hope all works out well for you and a bfp isn't too far away for you both.
    Brigsy's girl I'm so pleased the spray is ok.How long do you need to use the spray for each cycle? I hope the work situation gets better for you.
    I am feeling much better about things today. Dh and I had a long chat last night and I do realise that our situation is nothing like my friends and am feeling possitive that we will have our own bfp in the near future.I just need to keep those negative thoughts at bay and only think about the possitive ones.
    BW How are you feeling today? I have to say congratulations to you and your dh on his new job( I saw this news in another thread the other day). What fantastic timing for you both.
    Has anyone else noticed how quiet it is in here? (must be the holidays)
    Hope you all have a great Friday.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast