Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: TTC & Taking Clomid &/or Metformin ~ December 06 #2

BW- Sorry to hear that your FS appointment didn't go as well as you had hoped but I am glad that you have had time to sit down and think about all of the information that you were given and also do some of your own research. And as far as the charting thing goes you do what you feel is right. If you feel that it doesn't stress you out and that you benifit from it then keep going. If you find in time is is getting to much then you can have a break from it and see how you go. And don't leave us your knowledge and friendship means a lot to us in here

Monnie- lol at you nearly bidding on the same books.

Emmydee- I am sorry that AF arrived. See how you go on your months break and then you can reasses the situation. Lets hope that you can O by yourself.

To all the other ladies. I hope you are all having a great Friday.

Hi all. Had my appt today to follow up on my m/c. I really wanted to know where to go from here and what the plan of attack is. Like BW I'm also a control freak So my Dr said that I should have a 2-3mth break from TTC, stay on metformin, keep taking my vitamins, try to lose 10-15kgs, have my BP monitored regularly and come back to see him in 3mths. Then we will start the Clomid again.

He said that my lining wasn't thick enough for the placenta to stay attached to the uterus, but it's not a recurring problem. I asked if this had anything to do with taking Clomid and he said that it's not the Clomid causing the thin lining, it's the PCOS. I asked what would happen next time I fall pregnant and he said they will send me for weekly BT's, and I'll have fortnightly visits with him and depending on the BT's he will see if I need any injections or medication.

So after the appt, my DH and I discussed it - especially the not TTC for 2-3mths and I said that I'm not not going to try.(does that make sense?) The way I look at it, it took 3yrs last time and only worked on our 5th cycle of clomid, so the likelihood of it happening without the clomid is bugger all anyway - so why should I go and spend money on buying condoms lol.

miss B, i really everything works out for you.
    ' i myself ams so scared of losing this baby that i prob won't post in preg ann until after 12 weeks. i have pcos too:frown:

how did he know about the lining?? was ther eany sypmtoms??

I assume he said what he did about the lining due to the ultrasounds I had at the hospital when I started spotting at 11w6d. He had the pathology results in front of him from the D&C as well. So I'm not exactly sure how he knew, because I had no indication of anything being wrong with my pregnancy before that time.

I now think that by us moving back to Sydney and me changing FS and GP's during that time that I probably didn't have the best follow-up care when I did conceive as I would have if I had still been living near my old FS and GP.

missbelinda - I hope you and DH have much better luck this time. i agree with the not, not trying! You never know you could have your little miracle and fall naturally and everything go 100%. Good luck!

Hi

BW I'm sorry that your appointment didn't go so well. I'm sure you will feel alot better about things when you've had some time to process the info you have been given. I understand how hard it is not to stress but we all need to do some thing every now and the to unwind IYKWIM. Anyway I wish you all the best with your tests that you have to have done. Maybe things will become much clearer then.

Belinda I'm glad you have some answers now and you know what your plan of attack is. Good luck to you when you start ttc again.

Ktgirl Happy reading hun. You will be a wealth of knowledge when you've read all of those books. I have everything crossed that you get a bfp this month.

Princess and Monnie How are you 2 pregnant bellies going. I hope All is well for you both.

As for me, started the bd fest so hopefully we are successful this cycle. I'm busy trying to get things packed to go away for 3 weeks.
    So if I don't get to pop back in over the weekend I want to wish each and everyone of you a very merry christmas and happy new year and I also hope to see heaps more bfp's when I get back including 1 for me lol. Thankyou all for you support during the past few months too. I really have appreciated it. SEE YOU IN 2007

Belinda, I'd be exactly the same way! When told to take a break from TTC there's no way I'd go back on the pill or go and start using condoms... I'd just take a break from charting and all that stuff, just focus on BDing when we want to, not when we feel we have to. I feel as though there's bugger all point in needing to actively prevent a pregnancy, and if a miracle occurs in the meantime - go with it!

Emmydee, thanks so much for the information!

Princess, I'm sending you the biggest truckload of that you can imagine!

Ktgirl, no fear! Regardless of what people have said who don't really know me, or how I think, there's no way I'm leaving this place! Except perhaps if I go away on holidays for a bit... I've gained so much support and knowledge from this forum and the wonderful people here that I'd be mad to leave! You're stuck with me for a good long time yet!

My day so far... at 11:45 I discovered that my acupuncture appointment was at 12:30... and I hadn't showered and had an hour's drive ahead of me. Threw on clothes, raced out with charts and papers everywhere and with the help of some fairly creative speed limits along the way I got there only 15 minutes late. With roadworks, rain and just generally slow traffic to deal with along the way, I thought I did ok!

My acupuncturist is pretty mad at the suggestion we do nothing for the varicocele. Her argument is that if the varicocele is causing a triple factor sperm defect (which it is) and hormone levesl are normal (which they are), then it's likely that the varicocele is the cause of the problem and the repair will improve sperm and pregnancy chances. The friend from England I mentioned earlier was left with the job of chasing articles and summarising them for me. I arrived back to an email containing 8 pages of notes regarding all these different articles we found... The short story is that the varicocele repair is NOT going to be a waste of time in our case. The report we were given that said it would be a waste of time got a right pasting in one of the articles - of the 8 studies mentioned we get down to only 2 or 3 that are relevant in our case. And those studies did find that varicocele repairs DID improve fertility and pregnancy rates. The ones that said no had peculiar groupings of people involved - men with normal SA (of course it's going to do nothing there, they are already normal!), men with subclinical varicoceles (ones that can only be detected with an ultrasound), which are so small and minor that they really aren't going to be causing a problem. The result of all this reading... my DH has a thumping great big varicocele that is obviously causing some problem as his SA is crap but his hormones are normal and his testicles appear normal on ultrasound - there's just the whacking great huge varicocele there!

Poor DH... he's going to arrive home to the news he is going to have surgery...

Oh yeah... forgot to mention that my acupuncturist says that from what she knows of me (and she's seen me weekly for quite a long time now), she's worked out that I am definitely a control freak, and agrees with me - if you can't control it, learn as much as you can about the situation. Keep charting! The unknown factor is going to cause me a lot more stress than the charting is.

So... I wonder how the FS is going to feel about me continuing to chart and us electing to actually have the varicocele repair... I guess at this point, if he's not willing to work with what we decide... then we find a new one!

Wooohoooo! The in-control BW has returned!

BW
    Last edited by butterfly_warrior; December 15th, 2006 at 02:40 PM.

BW, well done. I do feel bad for your DH having to have the surgery, but you've obviously done your research and know that it may improve your chances so I say go for it!

Your poor DH though - LOL!! After the year I've had, I feel bad for anyone who has to have surgery.

BBL when I get home from work.

The other thing my acupuncturist said... the varicocele repair surgery for DH is going to be much less invasive and traumatic for him than full-on IVF will be for me.

I guess it's not entirely a foregone conclusion that he will have surgery. If it turns out that I'm going to need IVF anyway, then there's no point him having to go through the surgery - particularly when our clinic doesn't charge extra for the ICSI which may be necessary if his sperm don't improve.

BW

emmydee Guest

Miss Belinda -- did your FS monitor when you took the clomid? Mine did an ultrasound on me CD 14 (before ovulation), and would measure my lining. The clomid made my lining really thin and uneven. He prescribed me Estradiol to take to make my lining thicker. Anyway, just something to think about. After your month or two break, are you going to start clomid again?

BW -- if your DH ends up getting the surgery, you can assure him that it really isn't bad at all. My friend's husband had it done on a friday (and he had two really severe ones to fix), and he was back to work the next week. She said he was completely comfortable right after the surgery... It is a tough thing for a guy to do tho!

BW- So glad to hear that you are feeling much better now. It really sounds like you have got your head around things and are ready to take this all on now. Good work chicky.

Mako- I will miss you around here for three weeks gorgeous. Hope that you come back with some wonderful news for us. Have a great time, do lots of relaxing and enjoy. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. Who knows what 2007 will bring for us

Missbelinda- Glad to see that you have a plan of attack. I wouldn't be wasting my time with condoms either who needs them when you could have a little natural miracle. If we have another unsucessful cycle this month I have decided that we will be having a break for 3 or so months so I might be joining you there. Good luck with everything.

Hi to emmydee, smudge, flowerchild, willow, monnie, beibei, walkingart,angelbabies3, princess, penny and michelle. I hope I haven't missed anyone. If I have sorry!

At home now so more time for personals!

Belinda - I'm so glad you got some answers as to what happened. We lost our baby at almost 12 weeks too, but unfortunately we don't know what happened (although my FS thinks the 8cm cyst I had on my ovary at the time may have impacted on my pregnancy). Everything appeared perfect at our 7.5 wk scan. I think it would make it easier to cope with if I knew, then I wouldn't be so scared about it happening again in my next pregnancy. Now that they know what happened, I am sure you'll be monitored very closely next time. I hope that is of some comfort to you. Good luck with the not trying to not try! I'd be the same if a break was suggested to us - no way! The sooner that BFP, the better Although I've been whinging that I wouldn't mind taking a break over xmas/new year and starting fresh with ivf in 2007. I have taken clomid this cycle but won't be charting or putting much effort into scheduled bding, so it's going to be a break of sorts.

BW - that was my point earlier although I rambled a fair bit - if it's found that you would be better off doing IVF regardless of your DH's varicocele problems, then naturally there's not much point putting him through the surgery and perhaps this is what your FS was indicating (although not verbalising it very eloquently by the sounds of things ). Particularly if ICSI is of no extra cost to you (that's great by the way, haven't heard that at any other clinic). You sound much more collected now that you've had time to process a few things. I'm sure as the next few days pass, you'll feel better and better. Just take it one step at a time and see how you go with your results etc.

Mako - hope you have a fantastic holiday! I'm going away but not until next week, so only two weeks for us. Hope you survive your crazy weekend with all those family xmas gatherings! Have a great christmas and a relaxing holiday and we'll see you back here in the new year (hopefully with a BFP to report!)

Big to all my other girls.
    Last edited by Willow; December 15th, 2006 at 06:23 PM.

There's only one problem with all these Christmas smilies... the one beating its head against the brick wall is missing! I shall have to use :throw_computer: instead!

I'm booked in for my GTT on Tuesday morning. So the next three days involve me not only consuming more food than I would normally eat, but it's three days of high-carb food! Not looking forward to it at all!

I gave DH all the varicocele information that I had found today when he got home... he's latched onto the one study where intensive weekly councelling had pretty much the same improvement in fertility as the varicocele repairs! I think that might just be a sign of his worry about having surgery... particularly on such a delicate area! I'm now banned from ever using the word "fixed" in relation to him or his varicocele!

And then we progressed into the discussion of my stress levels... and how the forums and charting and researching isn't adding to the stress, it's helping give me a feeling of control and empowerment which is reducing the stress - he was fine with that. But then it got to the discussion of what IS causing the stress... my job? so quit! He has such simple answers to everything... Can we afford to live/have babies if I'm not working? Probably not, so find another! Problem, I've always been a teacher, I'm not qualified to do anything else as I never did honours after my science degree, so I could probably only do really crappy lab jobs... New problem - working with toxic chemicals! There's no way I'd want to be TTC while working in a chem lab! Sure, I may not be as stressed as if I'm teaching, but I'd be poisoning my system (I found out the hard way in lab work at uni that I'm EXTREMELY sensitive to chemical exposure - I was always faint in organic labs!) and any child I managed to conceive, so that would be a whole new source of stress.

But, I'm refusing to let this get to me! That's why I'm here venting again. (where's the eye-rolling smilie? - there! )

I'm not sure if it's because I'm tired and grumpy or he's just grumpy and was trying to watch TV... but it was an altogether unsatisfactory conversation! I'm feeling rather... exasperated right now! But... Tonight's the last night we can BD before the enforced three-day abstinence (DH has to give the sample on Tuesday!), and I very much appear to have fertile goo right now... so somehow I've got to get past this and give DH the surprise of his life by jumping on him later tonight!

BW

LOL BW!! You go get him girl!

I had my 2 hour GTT when I was prg with my DD. I didn't really follow the diet thingo to the letter, it was just too much food and too many carbs. I did my best. My results came back fine (although I did get quite ill during the test and they had to put me in a bed for a few hours! Luckily I had it done at the antenatal clinic at the hospital LOL! Think it was the huge sugar hit that did it) so if you cheat a little, I'm sure it won't affect the results. Just do your best with it.
    Last edited by Willow; December 15th, 2006 at 07:35 PM.

This is a really quick post before I finish up for the weekend. Chris and I are off to *the big smoke* tomorrow and tomorrow night for Christmas shopping. I am sooo looking forward to some time for us on our own... Shopping is fun when you haven't got the entourage!

Butterfly - YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU are back! Good on you. You have spunk and that will take you places!
    Mako - I will miss you around here you beautiful woman. Have a lovely holiday and I hope you come back with news of a BFP! I will be away by the time you return so we won't catch up until mid January. Merry Christmas to you!!!! Stay safe and happy and may 2007 bring all good things to you...
    Everyone else sorry I am not doing more personals. I will not be back until Monday afternoon. Sunday when we return we have Chrissy drinks and Monday my husband is flying out to China in the afternoon. So I will be back after the goodbyes!

Have a gorgeous weekend everyone!

emmydee Guest

Have a great weekend Flowerchild!

And Mako have a fantastic holiday! Hopefully you'll get all relaxed, and a BFP will soon be coming your way early 2007!

Well, I'm just starting a new cycle. It feels weird just going on naturally with no clomid. Like you some of you guys, I'm such a control freak, and want to feel like I'm doing SOMETHING to move things along. It's a little difficult to just sit back, take a break, and see how things go...

This a.m., I woke up and took my temp, it was like 5 degrees, I freaked out, then realized I was dreaming, woke up, took my temp, and this time it was like 100 degrees, I freaked out again, then realized I was dreaming again... I finally woke up for real then. I think I need a break from my thermometer!!!! It's such a love/hate relationship. Sometimes I look at it, and I want to snap it in half and kick it across the room. Yet, I'm totally obsessed with it...

Morning ladies,

Flowerchild-Hope you have a great weekend. See you on Monday.

Emmydee- Good luck with your natural cycle who knows you might you surprise us all with some wonderful news. I hope so

Big hugs and kisses to all you gorgeous girls.

Well I am up bright and early to go into the city for a blood test to see how my hormones are traveling. The Dr will call me this afternoon so I will fill you all in later today. After my bloods are done I am heading out shopping for the day with two of my old work friends so I am really looking forward to spending the day with them. I'll catch you all a little later.

Ktgirl - good luck today with your blood test

Emmydee - sounds like you are having my temping nightmares lol. I also have nightmares about my toothbrush - must be something about putting things into my mouth.

And no, my FS didn't monitor me with scans when I started clomid last time. I had BTs at CD23 and CD31 and that was only for the first month, once I had ovulated she said there was no need to continue with BT's in subsequent months. Now that I have changed FS and with the m/c it sounds like I am going to have some more monitoring - which is great for a control freak like me.

Deb - Hope you had a great weekend of shopping and spend some quality time with your DH before he flies out.

BW - Good luck with your GTT. I've had it before, so I recommend taking a good book to read in the waiting periods

Willow - I agree that sometimes you need to have a break, especially from the scheduled BD. That's what these last few weeks have been like to us, my DH said he doesn't feel like a stud for once hehe. If he ever complains about having to "put out on demand" I just like to threaten him with having to do the sperm analysis again - my Dr told him to abstain for 5 days and he nearly died LOL

Hello to everyone else!!! Hope you are all being good, because Christmas is nearly here!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast